After Skyrim, what's for me?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daddyorc

Greetings,

I'm quite the geezer, my first computer was an Atari, in 1982, and I was well into adulthood by then. I've tried quite a few computer and video games over the years, but the only two I really liked were Starcraft and Skyrim. Well... Diablo 2 for awhile. And Plants vs. Zombies was fun for awhile.

Over the past year and a half, I've played Skyrim a lot, sometimes too much, which caused me shame and guilt. My first character was sword and board, with enchanting and smithing. I got bored around level 78. Started a new pure mage character, which is now around level 54. Finally, I am getting truly bored. Probably won't play much more Skyrim. I'll have more time for other things, but I'm going to miss Skyrim. I have all the DLC for the Xbox, not interested in mods.

I've seen my kid play some of the other Bethesda games, and some other open world games like Red Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3. I'm not that interested.

I wonder if I'm ever going to enjoy another video game nearly as much as Skyrim.

Any others in the same situation? Any game suggestions I might not have thought of? Thanks in advance.

Daddyorc.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
You probably already thought of this but I'll put it anyway. There are other Elder Scrolls games, four more other than Skyrim. Morrowind and Oblivion are great games with great story but the graphics are lacking.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I'm in the same boat. I'm old enough to say that I received an original Atari for Christmas the first year it came out. Been gaming my whole life. Atari then Inellivision then Colecovision, original Sega console, Nintendo, etc, etc. I've played and mastered almost every kind of game imaginable.

Now... I don't even bother with any other games and I don't see that changing in the future. Every
time I begin to play something else, I think to myself: "Why don't I just play Skyrim? That's what I really want to do."

To think that I was actually addicted to Tower Defense for a few days...

Daddyorc

You probably already thought of this but I'll put it anyway. There are other Elder Scrolls games, four more other than Skyrim. Morrowind and Oblivion are great games with great story but the graphics are lacking.

Thanks Kenny,

Yeah, I gave those a try. One of the things I love about Skyrim is the outdoors scenery combined with open world. Seasons, time of day, climates and ecosystems. It's so brilliant! Games with similar game play would probably not be that interesting, now that I've mastered it.

Last night I played the quest in Windhelm where I had to find out who the murderer is. Unfortunately, I was playing it for the third time. It struck me that future editions of Skyrim, or some game like it, could combine combat, magic, and so on with mysteries. Fingerprint skills, DNA, interview skills, hunt down witnesses, combat with hostile suspects, and so on. I wonder if Bethesda has considered something like that.

Cheers, Daddyorc

Adam Warlock

I am very much in your circumstances.
The last console I owned (before I bought an Xbox so I could play Skyrim) was Colecovision .
I`m not really a gamer , but Skyrim hooked me.
Tried Oblivion but it didn`t match up.
Don`t want a shooter.

It was with great hope that I watched E3 this year to see if an open-world single-player fantasy game that wasn`t just hack and slash or big battles would be introduced.
If one was there , I missed it.

Hopefully another group will see a potential cash cow and produce a decent game like Skyrim because with ESO I don`t see Bethesda doing a VI in the series for at least 3 years if not more.:sadface:

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I even tried to play Modern Warfare 3 the other day. I little Survival Mode for old times sake... boring.

Went to one of my old fall backs for mindless entertainment... zombies on Black Ops 1... boring.

Even revisited Fable 1 and 2 along with some Final Fantasy action... super boring.

Halo seems dumb to me now...

Bethesda wrecked me.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
I've had a deep and abiding love for Legend of Zelda since I was a kid (so about 1990 or so...I grudgingly continue to buy Nintendo consoles in hopes that LoZ will continue to be playable. That, and my nostalgia for Super Mario Bros.) So I tend to fall back on those when I need a mini-break from Skyrim. I loved Oblivion. Also played World of Warcraft, but the WoW universe never hooked me.

I've never loved a game like I have Skyrim, though. I try to play other games and end up thinking, "Nope, not feeling this. I'm gonna go become Arch-Mage again." :confused: Because I haven't done that a dozen times.

I'll be playing Elder Scrolls Online on PC. So far I have fairly high hopes for it. :) Presumably I'll be content with Skyrim until then.

Tawneey

Not sure if it would interest you, but the whole Fallout series is amazing, the early ones are fantastic, and 3 and NV are perhaps similar to TES.

kyleekay

Greetings,

I'm quite the geezer, my first computer was an Atari, in 1982, and I was well into adulthood by then. I've tried quite a few computer and video games over the years, but the only two I really liked were Starcraft and Skyrim. Well... Diablo 2 for awhile. And Plants vs. Zombies was fun for awhile.

Over the past year and a half, I've played Skyrim a lot, sometimes too much, which caused me shame and guilt. My first character was sword and board, with enchanting and smithing. I got bored around level 78. Started a new pure mage character, which is now around level 54. Finally, I am getting truly bored. Probably won't play much more Skyrim. I'll have more time for other things, but I'm going to miss Skyrim. I have all the DLC for the Xbox, not interested in mods.

I've seen my kid play some of the other Bethesda games, and some other open world games like Red Dead Redemption and Far Cry 3. I'm not that interested.

I wonder if I'm ever going to enjoy another video game nearly as much as Skyrim.

Any others in the same situation? Any game suggestions I might not have thought of? Thanks in advance.

Daddyorc.

One of my favorite games is Fable 3. It's actually what led to me being interested in Skyrim. Assassin's Creed is fun too. Happy gaming! :)

In '77 wrote my own games on a Commodore Pet, '82 started Wizardry series on Apple II, 86 started on Mac and went Civ and Myst for years. Got PS3 and started Skyrim. Looking back, they all have a degree of freedom of choice and most allow you to play different types o characters. I would love it if some of the older games were rewritten to make use of modern technology, but I don't see it happening.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
The new Witcher 3 coming out. Very open-world...very adult...very good. Go check it out. I'm 42 and have been gaming since ATARI 2600/Commodore 64/Coleco ADAM....but I'm into a wide range of game types (RTS, RPG, MMORPG, some FPS, etc.). Trust me....go check out the new Witcher 3. You won't be upset by the new take on it. An example of it's new open worldness....it takes 48 minutes to cross the land from one side to the other on horseback at a full gallop. Yeah...that's pretty big. http://www.thewitcher.com/

CaptMorgan72

I can't imagine I will ever be bored of Skyrim. I have played for hundreds and hundreds of hours and I still love the game to death. I have many characters and all the dlc. When I feel like taking a vacation to a world of mythical awesomeness, I fire up Skyrim.

Reaper is right about Witcher 3. I'm a huge fan of the Witcher. Read all the books translated to English and played 1 and 2. Those are great games you should check out. The final chapter is going to blow us all away. Here is the trailer.

TJ0331

Nords forever
When Fallout 3 came out I was hooked. It was my favorite game when it came out and still is. However it lost its fun factor for me. I am a big elder scrolls fan as well. I like Fallout 3 more but Skyrim is more fun for me. If that makes sense.

NachyoChez

In terms of world depth, Skyrim stands apart. There simply isn't a game on par, and once you understand that you can really enjoy some other games, though not for quite as long.

Some older games that hold up well and will eat some time for you would be:
Dragon Age: Origins (Not part 2)
Fable 3

If you're ok with a little genre bending:
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Red Dead Redemption (And it's Zombie expansion!)

If you don't mind a LOT of genre bending:
Grand Theft Auto 5 (newest and priciest on the list, but being praised as the second coming by reviewers)

Diablo 3 apparently also ported to the console well, and there's a free demo to see if it suits your tastes.

That said, if you have a computer that can run it I would HIGHLY suggest getting Elder Scrolls Anthologies for PC. The game looks and feels different, and there are a few mods that just change how combat works, or add new areas/quests. I only recently started playing on PC after being Xbox solid the whole time, and both are different enough that it does feel like a new experience to get lost in. Apparently, someone is even updating Oblivion and Morrowind to run on Skyrim's engine, meaning you'll be able to play those games in Skyrim's beauty.

If you're getting a XB1, there's also Elder Scrolls Online coming next year, and a few of us from here will be getting on there.\

Hopefully some of this helped!

JClarke1953

I felt I was in the same boat as you Daddyorc. I finished high school in 1972, yet circumstances in my life after high school prevented me from obtaining/using any gaming consoles or such.

I've pretty much "completed" Skyrim and Solstheim, and found myself wondering "what now"? The I got my char and Serana enchanted Forsworn gear, and we have been exploring Skyrim from one side to the other, fast traveling only to sell loot.

And, if you have the perk from getting all of the Stones of Benzariah, you can revisit all of the tombs, ruins and anywhere else and go through them again to loot chests that have great gems in them (Now I have so many Flawless Diamonds, Emeralds etc., it's not even funny).

Why not go through Forgotten Vale again, and use the Paragons (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Forgotten_Vale). That is quite a bit of fun, and interesting.

And as long as I've been playing Skyrim, I'm still finding undiscovered ruins and stuff, as well as a few surprises at places I've already "cleared". And speaking of Windhelm, have you helped the East Empire Trading Company?

Try playing Dragon Age series.
Yes, that includes the DLCs and Sequel.

Other than that, let me say that I understand how you feel. That's pretty much what I felt right after exhausting all possible ending with the Dragon Age series. Took me a couple of months before I can fully focus on finishing Mass Effect Trilogy.

Fedpol2

Agree with all those who already mentioned it; Dragon Age Origins was a great game. Very well done and definitely worth a look.

CaptMorgan72

I felt I was in the same boat as you Daddyorc. I finished high school in 1972, yet circumstances in my life after high school prevented me from obtaining/using any gaming consoles or such.

I've pretty much "completed" Skyrim and Solstheim, and found myself wondering "what now"? The I got my char and Serana enchanted Forsworn gear, and we have been exploring Skyrim from one side to the other, fast traveling only to sell loot.

And, if you have the perk from getting all of the Stones of Benzariah, you can revisit all of the tombs, ruins and anywhere else and go through them again to loot chests that have great gems in them (Now I have so many Flawless Diamonds, Emeralds etc., it's not even funny).

Why not go through Forgotten Vale again, and use the Paragons (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Forgotten_Vale). That is quite a bit of fun, and interesting.

And as long as I've been playing Skyrim, I'm still finding undiscovered ruins and stuff, as well as a few surprises at places I've already "cleared". And speaking of Windhelm, have you helped the East Empire Trading Company?

You graduated high school in 72? Wow, thats when I was born, I thought I was one of the oldest players on this board. Do you play on pc or console? If on pc there are tons of interesting mods you can play with. If you are playing on the Xbox 360 like me, you can use a saved mod called Dovahgolt that will breath new life into your Skyrim playing experience. It is awesome. Here is the link http://www.game-tuts.com/community/...-manor-xbox-360-mod-download-included-122085/

JClarke1953

Yeh, I use the XBox our son left behind when he was deployed to Okinawa via the USMC (he wants me to get the new CoD for when he gets to his new station at Cherry Point next March).

Will an external hard drive be good to put that on, then transfer it to my XBox?

I just saw it's for the home in Riften. I dumped Hearthfire because of the so many glitches and things that didn't work (plus the extreme lack of interaction with kid's/wife). Is Hearthfire going to be required for that?