Addressing the Oghma Infinitum glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Preferred Archetype?

• Total voters

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
hey the mage got a vote! yippee!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
....followers, when they are either created or discovered, are based on your character level. Most NPCs have a max level of 40 or 50, and if your favorite follower is gimped such as Lydia simply because you became a thane of Whiterun by level 5 means your Lydia will forever be level 5. Now if you were level 50, then Lydia would be the max level of 50. This is the primary reason I feel it's okay to use it...
Then you can stop doing it. :)

Followers are supposed to level with you. It's one of the many bugs that followers have that they don't but you can reset their level to yours or their max if you are over their cap (which is 30 for a lot of them btw) with Wabbajack.

Just take them out into an isolated area (so you don't get a bounty) save your game and dismiss them and attack them with Wabbajack until it polymorphs them. Then punch them to revert them back. This will reset their stats as if you just entered their cell. If you kill them with Wabbajack just reload the saved game and try again until you can polymorph them.

andrea

Christ, you're all making it sound like I've shot myself in the foot just by using it. If I get bored, I'll create a new character and pass on the glitching. I really wasn't expecting so much hatred. More curiosity than anything. You talk about 'adventure' yet you won't scribble outside the lines just to see whats its like. But hey, maybe I'm just pathetic to you all because i have yet to fight a dragon unarmed on master with no armor. Whatever. Take it from someone who's actually used it and not gone off what someone else thinks; it does not ruin the game. If anything, it puts it to the test. Having 80 skill points to your disposal opens a lot of doors and frees up a lot of time. It doesn't really get any easier even with the glitch. Monsters are still over powered and are always in need of a good slaying. For instance; say you're an Archer, we all know Archers aren't the most powerful class, and actually take a notable amount of skill to use. You wonder what it would be like to one-shot a giant in the back of the head, or shoot a dragon right out of the sky while sneaking. In fact, some dream of that kind of power. Perhaps I have power issues, perhaps not. I played the game to its fullest without any glitches, and as it did satisfy me, being an omnipotent battlemage satisfied me a bit more. All I'm saying is not to hate something you haven't experienced yourself.

nah, you are misunderstanding. I really don't care if you use it or not, as I said it's your game and your playthrough, why should I care?
as for the having 80 perks soon, that's the reason why I don't use it, I find it funnier to get them by regular leveling up, so I can see the difference between 3/5 archery damage and 4/5 archey damage for example and actually trying out the differences until I level up again, and so on. Just a different way to play than yours.

Kuurus

I've experienced both and both have merit. It's seriously just up to the user. People need to stop hating.
I don't see anyone "hating". The OP asked for opinions and he got them. It's as simple as that. Don't start a thread asking for opinions if you are just going to feel picked on by anyone disagreeing with you.

Krilot Sivaas Do Zoor

Khajiit Brawler
I don't see anyone "hating". The OP asked for opinions and he got them. It's as simple as that. Don't start a thread asking for opinions if you are just going to feel picked on by anyone disagreeing with you.
And I won't, as long as you don't use the thread as a guise to get aggressive for no reason.

Kuurus

And I won't, as long as you don't use the thread as a guise to get aggressive for no reason.
I am pretty sure nobody did. I just reread the thread to see if I was missing anything and came away with the same conclusion. People said they considered it an exploit or cheat and wouldn't use it themselves, but it's a single player game and do whatever you want. I can't see a single person's comments in this thread that was in any way "aggressive" towards you.

Rotceh

<Warrior>

I've used the glitch on the PS3, maxed 1 character to 81, and only played him for a about an hour or two. It didn't feel right to me. Don't use him anymore.

There is one thing I do like about the glitch is that it gives a PS3/Xbox user a way to play around with different builds with out the huge time sink. PC users don't need a glitch, they have "~" commands. They can do what ever they want with the proper code.

I would give this tip to console users if they wish to just try something new with out spending hours and hours just to see if they will like something or not. First you will need a level 15 character (quest requirement, last I checked), then once you complete the quest for the book, save the game twice... once for your normal play and a second to come back to so you can try a different path. At any time you can load that second save game and just play around with the perk system all you want with out the chance to ruin your main save. If you want a really good challenge try to level and complete the quest without using any perk points, its HRAD, but you will have all the points to use as you wish.

Ordo

Professional Hammer-er
For me, since I've never played Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, or Oblivion, I had no idea what I was doing when I started my first save, so I just set out to make a general tank with Two-handed and Heavy Armor, with Enchanting and Smithing to make my gear. I played through until about level 38 with lv. 100 Two-handed and lv. 86 Heavy Armor raised just from playing, and Smithing and Enchanting fully leveled from powerleveling. At that point, I was one-hitting most things with my Daedric Warhammer, so with my high Enchanting and Smithing, I switched to Archery and Light Armor, starting with the best gear for each, so now my Archery is lv.95 and Light Armor is lv. 84, with my overall level being 50. Since the only time I've used magic is for the College of Winterhold quest line, Oghma Infinium is the only way I'll ever get those up to 100 unless I go power level in the dungeons from the beginning of the game, which defeats the purpose of a game, as it should be fun.

Christ, you're all making it sound like I've shot myself in the foot just by using it. If I get bored, I'll create a new character and pass on the glitching. I really wasn't expecting so much hatred. More curiosity than anything. You talk about 'adventure' yet you won't scribble outside the lines just to see whats its like. But hey, maybe I'm just pathetic to you all because i have yet to fight a dragon unarmed on master with no armor. Whatever. Take it from someone who's actually used it and not gone off what someone else thinks; it does not ruin the game. If anything, it puts it to the test. Having 80 skill points to your disposal opens a lot of doors and frees up a lot of time. It doesn't really get any easier even with the glitch. Monsters are still over powered and are always in need of a good slaying. For instance; say you're an Archer, we all know Archers aren't the most powerful class, and actually take a notable amount of skill to use. You wonder what it would be like to one-shot a giant in the back of the head, or shoot a dragon right out of the sky while sneaking. In fact, some dream of that kind of power. Perhaps I have power issues, perhaps not. I played the game to its fullest without any glitches, and as it did satisfy me, being an omnipotent battlemage satisfied me a bit more. All I'm saying is not to hate something you haven't experienced yourself.
i used to be a glitcher like you then i took a book to the juggular:)

It's really simple. Mass Effect 2 has a respec option. This game doesn't. If it did, I wouldn't use the oghma infinitum. But as it stands, the only way to "respec" in this game is to start a whole new character, OR have a level 15 gamesave at Breezhome with the oghma infinitum in his/her possession. I take the latter because it saves a butt load of time.

Kuurus

I'm talking about hating on an idea, or the use of something that is available to the player, not claiming anybody is hating on a specific player in this thread. So by disagreeing with him, you were actually hating on the idea of the glitch. And I'm pretty sure the OP said:
And I'm pretty sure OP said AS LONG as you don't, yet you still felt the need to defend yourself.
LOl, that's pretty funny. If you read the thread, I had never even replied to the OP or commented on anything he said. I had posted one reply to someone else about an opinion on the subject, just an opinion, no stones being cast at anyone who felt differently. There was nothing to "defend". I commented on YOUR post (which ironically had nothing to do with the topic yet you tag my post as "off-topic", but whatever), which prompted the OP to then address me.

I am curious if you would clarify something for me. In your post that I quoted and responded to, you said "people need to stop hating" which is of course why I replied that I didn't think anyone was doing so. But now your further explanation was that by simply disagreeing with him, people are hating on the idea. So you're saying the actual message of post that I responded to was that people need to stop disagreeing with the OP?

Krilot Sivaas Do Zoor

Khajiit Brawler
LOl, that's pretty funny. If you read the thread, I had never even replied to the OP or commented on anything he said. I had posted one reply to someone else about an opinion on the subject, just an opinion, no stones being cast at anyone who felt differently. There was nothing to "defend". I commented on YOUR post (which ironically had nothing to do with the topic yet you tag my post as "off-topic", but whatever), which prompted the OP to then address me.

I am curious if you would clarify something for me. In your post that I quoted and responded to, you said "people need to stop hating" which is of course why I replied that I didn't think anyone was doing so. But now your further explanation was that by simply disagreeing with him, people are hating on the idea. So you're saying the actual message of post that I responded to was that people need to stop disagreeing with the OP?
You're getting way too into this. Chill your plops. You don't have to dissect the entire goddamn thread just to try and make a point.
All I was trying to communicate was that I hadn't expected just about everyone to take a negative stance on the subject. Fafnir mentioned I was a 'glitcher'... False. Because I glitched once, does not give you the right to throw me into that category. Although I did like the way he put it.

Kuurus

Not sure why either of you feel anyone is heated about anything. My only comment to you Krilot in this entire thread was that I didn't think anyone was being aggressive towards you as you put it. They were simply disagreeing.

I think the vast majority who disagreed with you also included the sentiment in one way or another, that it's a single player game and everyone is free to do as they wish since it doesn't affect anyone else. That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. I make absolutely zero judgements on how anyone else chooses to play the game.

Reaper, your post just makes WAY too many assumptions for a few lines of text exchanged over the internet. But at least we can agree that it's a waste of time and go our separate ways.

I feel that it makes the game rather boring, and takes away the entire point of the game (IMHO); to advance.

Also, OP, I didn't see anybody getting aggressive. People said they didn't like the glitch, and I don't know what happened to you.

Also, Reaper, I find it quite strange how all your posts have a slight aggresive edge to them, and then you backpedal and say you just want to be friendly and nice? :confused:

My two cents.

Straumgald

If I get to a level where all the skills I use regularly are maxed out, and I still want to level, I use the OI. Instead of grinding out 5-10 skills I wont end up using just for perk points, I just pop the OI a few times. When my warrior had 100 alchemy/enchanting/smithing/two hand/heavy armor/speech/restoration, there are no other skills I planned on using, but I still wanted to get some perks. I use the book once when I first get it then store it until I hit the 'soft cap'.

You're getting way too into this. Chill your pl***. You don't have to dissect the entire goddamn thread just to try and make a point.
All I was trying to communicate was that I hadn't expected just about everyone to take a negative stance on the subject. Fafnir mentioned I was a 'glitcher'... False. Because I glitched once, does not give you the right to throw me into that category. Although I did like the way he put it.
i used the glitch its not a crime it gives me more time to enjoy and endulge in the landsscape find new things and kill imperials

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
When I found out about the glitch, it was already too late. I've earned almost everything I've fought for and it feels good that there's a story of how I came to power.

XbSuper

I used it, after I had maxed all the skills I was planning on using. So instead of wasting time grinding all my other skills to 100, I just used OI, and got the rest of my perks. Totally worth it IMO.

It's moral to be a cold-blooded murder, a thief, a cannibal and a vampire. But its immoral to cheat with the OI. Too bad rape isn't an option in the game.o_O

cmp007

I found out about this glitch less than a day after I used it. I had this book for probably 40 hours of game play and didnt know what it was for lol. I wish I would of found out about the glitch before I used it because I dont know how the hell im going to get my destruction maxed out. I just want it to max my magic out everything else ill do the normal way

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts