about to be on an episode of hoarders

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi all..........like is said in my intro, I'm new to the elder scrolls games and I pick up almost everything I find ( except stuff I really know is junk ) any tips on what to keep, what to sell and what to just ignore, I just dont want to get deep in the game and need something I sold or threw away........not so much on weapons, but ingrediants for magic ( I know nothing about this ) and misc stuff like for smithing ( again something I know nothing about ) I know there is alot to cover.......so any help at any time will be appreciated

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, for the most part, items that are quest-critical are not sellable or droppable. There have been some instances where a glitch has arisen in this, however. The Dragon Priest masks are all keepers. Don't sell them off. If you don't already own a house, get one. You can always store things you think you might want later.

As far as ores and ingredients, if you think you're going to want to try your hand at smithing and alchemy, you should just stockpile these things (and dragon bones if you plan to get your smithing to 100). There are a lot of alchemy tables and forges/workbenches/grindstones in the world for you to use these materials. I think Whiterun is a great place to get all of this accomplished.

I'm sure other folks will be happy to chime in on this as well. Check out our Guides and Tutorials section for lots of information pertaining to Alchemy and Blacksmithing.

Shoor

Clan Thu'um Guard
For smithing: Ingots, Ore, Dwarven Metal (not bent), Leather, Leather Strips, Deer/Cow/Horse/Wolf/Bear Hide or Pelt, gems like ruby, amethyst, etc

For alchemy: Flowers/plants, animal teeth/eyes, fungi, ethereal matter (like wisp wrappings, ectoplasm, etc), things in bowls (fire/frost/void salts, bone meal, etc), bugs

Items with special names (e.g. Rjorn's Drum) and stuff may be needed for a quest, so be sure not to sell them. Personally, I set a limit for myself regarding armor and such, like "Don't pick up stuff whose value is less than 50" or something like that.

Hope this helped :D

thanks for the info Rayven, I've been selling dragon bones and scales, I'll start keeping them at the house......and Shoor, I apreciate the list that will help alot :), I am already addicted to this game and plan on spending alot of time learning every aspect:D

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Whenever you pick up what you think may be an ingredient, check your inventory to confirm it shows up in that category. There are many good websites dedicated to letting you know what potions you can make with any ingredients you find. I use the Skyrim Alchemy Helper website for potions that I can use and the Skyrim Alchemy Profitability Calculator website for potions I can sell. A lot of the ingredients can be foraged in the wild and in caverns and dungeons so always keep your eyes out for things growing from the ground, the walls, hanging from ceilings etc. and see if they can be harvested.

For smithing you need ingots which you can make at smelters from ore that you have found as loot, mined, or bought from merchants. It helps to keep a pick axe in your inventory in case you come across any ore veins because you need a pick axe to mine them. Ore veins, crops, and other items that can be foraged generally will respawn after a certain number of days so you can revisit them every few weeks to see if they can be mined/foraged again.

You also often need leather or leather strips which you get from animal hides from deer, elk, wolves, bears, sabre cats and foxes, but NOT BUNNIES so don't kill any of the bunnies of Skyrim! (Seriously they give no animal hides and just a teeny tiny piece of raw meat). :sadface:

Outstanding Dagmar, I havent killed any animals That havent attacked me yet, but I guess I'll have to start hunting..............I promise I'll leave the Bunnies in good health;).....thanks for the info on the sites:)

AvonleaNord

lol.... Hoarders! One of the smartest things you can do early is travel light and sell as much loot as you can right after every quest. Save up the money you earn to buy the house in Whiterun ASAP for storage ... The house is around 5000 I think and then maybe 2000 for the upgrades. Don't use it for storage until you get all the upgrades because it resets with upgrades. After that it's safe for storage and you can be more selective in selling vs saving. Also get a free nonmercenary Follower and they can help carry loot out of caves to sell - I picked up Sven from the Riverfall tavern.

In terms of what to pick up, you can immediately skip all food, wine, ale and books without skill perks. You might want to read the books but then drop them. I usually don't waste time looking in barrels or sacks either. Skip all misc junk like shovels, embalming tools, tankards, paper rolls, clothes ... Your house will give you a lot of that when you buy it. And if you ever need any of those things you can find some later. Keep a laptop nearby as you play, and you can quickly pause and google anything you're unsure about. Also keep an eye out for unusual or unique items you rarely see like empty skooma bottles - Those might be keepers.

Take as much as you can carry of everything else and sell it as soon as you fill up. If you hit some bandit camps while getting to a quest location, fast travel to a town and sell the loot before you go into the tunnel part (just make sure you discovered the quest location so you can fast travel back). To decide what to keep, you should plan early on what kind of character you want to have and get ruthless about not saving things that won't support your character. If you are a Mage type, you can sell warrior and stealth things. I'm a heavy armor player so I sell all light armor and mage things like staffs robes and scrolls that other players would keep. Enchanted items are better to save than non enchanted even if the non enchanted has a higher rating. Also keep all soul gems to recharge weapons. If you're not an archer take then sell all bows - they are lighter then other weapons to get back to the shops in town. For weapons keep only your very best few until you get a house. Keep all dragon bones and scales but these are heavy- another reason to get your house ASAP.

Ingredients are light so just keep what you can until you learn more about making potions. Anything with a sell value of +50 coins, sell until you get a house. Nirnroot, giants toe, Luna moth, chaurus egg, garlic, vampires dust, daedra heart, these are some keepers but most things you can sell. Sell any nonHealing potions also. Metal, I say sell until you get a house. You should upgrade loot weapons by smithing before you sell to earn more but the blacksmith will usually have ingots for sale so you don't have to cart them around. Here's a quick smith trick - gems like garnets and amethysts will make you a lot more money if you get some silver and quickly forge them into a necklace or ring before selling so silver is a keeper.

Carry around some cheap empty soul gems and get a weapon with a soul trap effect. Equip it whenever you are traveling on foot to new locations. Then when you kill any wild animals with it, the soul trap will fill your soul gems and you can recharge weapons with them.

Wow lots of great info Avonleanord, I did get the house in Whiterun, actually got the house free with a little quick hand trick;), I just didnt want to fill it with useless junk ( the hoarder comment:p ) really though thanks for all this info it will help me so much...... awesome info !!!!!!!!

Mabe

Also always pick up arrows other than iron. They have 0 weight so you can carry an infinite amount. Iron arrows and I think forsworn arrows are worth nothing in the shops. But steel arrows are $1ea w/o perks....they are as good as gold You can normally find a couple hundred in a cave full of bad guys.

Also watch for items with a high $ per weight ratio. That ebony armor may be worth $800 but its also 40lbs. You would be better off with 35 $60 daggers that weigh 3lbs. Plus you can max out amithing fast by improving a bunch of daggers and bows vs one peice or armor. Normally Ill skip the chest peice of a heavy set and just take the gauntlets, boots and helmet.

Id suggest grabbing all potions and poisons. They are worth $40-300 and weigh .5lbs. Plus you can sell them to various npcs and your not limiting yourself to the $750 the blacksmith has when you come back full of wepons and armor.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Perchta

also, anytime you find something that looks pretty or odd and has a value of $0, that is special and you'll want it for the thieves guild.

Chryss

Blacksmith elixer/draught. I saw it in a castle thought I wont need that so I passed it up, now I wish I had it so I can upgrade my Daedric Armor. I looked in all the shops to find it and no one has it....figures!! my conjuration is low so making the potion myself gives lower stats than the stuff you find. I know what I will be working on next.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Well since everyone has already covered everything, the only thing I can recommend is to be careful about picking up named items, such as "Pantea's Flute". There is a bug that if you pick up some quest items before you have the quest then it will glitch and not allow you to finish the quest.

Chryss

the flute, drum and the lute are all bugged. I didnt pick them up til I did the quest. The quest ended and I still carry the flute, drum and lute.

:mad:

Dagmar

Pick out a few easy-to-find chests in spots you can remember and store stuff in them. That's what I do.
Which is a wonderful way to lose those items forever. The overwhelming majority of containers in Skyrim will eventually reset their contents. The only containers confirmed by Bethesda not to do so are containers in a house that you've bought from one of the Stewards of Whiterun, Windhelm, Riften, Solitude or Markarth. There is a lot of bad and incomplete information out on the internet about other containers that are "safe" to store your items. Do so at your own peril.

AvonleaNord

True - and even in houses you own, you should visit once a week ingame time and check your storage items. Dont put too many things in one container either to spread the weight. In Oblivion I overstuffed my house and lost irreplaceable items.

You can get rid of the 20lb Oblivion Scroll in your books, just wait after the main quest is done- go to the Mage College and sell it to the Orc in the library, he pays like 2000 for it.

Perchta

True - and even in houses you own, you should visit once a week ingame time and check your storage items. Dont put too many things in one container either to spread the weight. In Oblivion I overstuffed my house and lost irreplaceable items.

You can get rid of the 20lb Oblivion Scroll in your books, just wait after the main quest is done- go to the Mage College and sell it to the Orc in the library, he pays like 2000 for it.
how do you know when you've over stuffed a container?

AvonleaNord

The chests are best for unlimited storage. Barrels, side tables etc I use for fewer items. Not saying this is a known issue, but better safe than sorry!

Dagmar

how do you know when you've over stuffed a container?
In theory there's no limit, but for the PC it may eventually cause lag when you open a container if your PC runs Skyrim on low to medium settings. I don't know if the same can be said for PS3 or XBox players.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts