About followers... why so serious?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
In Skyrim, followers never crack a smile (aside from Cicero). In Oblivion however, all your followers smile. In fact, a lot of the people in Skyrim don't smile. Followers always seem to have that same, serious, blank stare. There are some merchants that smile, like the blacksmiths when you click the "What have you got for sale?" option.

Anyone kind of miss it when followers actually looked happy to be your shield and sword? For me, it kind of breathed life to followers, and we were all one happy group tackling hard times. I realize the circumstances and situations characters have been through doesn't exactly put them in a happy mood, but still, it's not like characters' faces match their dialogue all the time when they speak.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
My guess would be it's because it's either cold or raining 90% of the time and that most of them are afraid of being killed every 10 minutes. Skyrim's a tough place. I get smiles when I'm in the cities though, it the folks out in the world that have an issue with dieing all the time.

In my case, I know my housecarls don't smile because I ignore them and leave them at home all the time. I have 2 Khajit followers and it's kind of tough to know when they're smiling (although, I apparently make them feel all warm & fuzzy when I'm around) and both Marcurio & Eric the Slayer would smile and joke with me. Maybe it has to do with the followers. With Marcurio I just wanted to slap him sometimes cause he said such dumb things and smiled at the most inappropriate times.

You're right about Cicero though, he does smile, but he's also nuts so I'm always afraid he's gonna do something weird.

John Floras

Belethor smiles, although it is always a creepy smile...... :eek:

i was just gonna say that too, i think hes the only person i can remember smiling, unless part of a cut screen or something, he seems nice enough but his smile make me feel a bit untrustworthy of bretons for some reason. i think its the high elf in his blood stream, the nord in him is being a good citizen but the high elf in him is trying to lash out, you can tell he has a secret motive, he wants all my septums!

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I have Cicero, and I must admit, his singing is really fun compared to the dialogue of a lot of the followers. Although, when I'm in a ruin or cave and listening out for enemies and he starts singing, or when I'm sneaking and aiming my crossbow to attack and he plows right into me, that's when I start actually shouting, "CICERO!" in real life :mad: :D

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Maybe because the land is being torn apart by the Nords engaging themselves in Civil War, dragons have returned which signals the end of the world. Not too much to smile about. Nords haven't had a Civil war since the War of Succession and that lasted around fifty years and destroyed the First Empire of the Nords, they never recovered after that Civil war, lost all of their holdings out of Skyrim and many cities were sacked.

People were more friendly in Oblivion.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Maybe because the land is being torn apart by the Nords engaging themselves in Civil War, dragons have returned which signals the end of the world. Not too much to smile about. Nords haven't had a Civil war since the War of Succession and that lasted around fifty years and destroyed the First Empire of the Nords, they never recovered after that Civil war, lost all of their holdings out of Skyrim and many cities were sacked.

That's just depressing. I may be a psychotic killer for hire, but, even I try to find the silver lining and keep a smile on my face. Sure, it's mostly the begging for mercy and the blood that makes me smile, but, hey, we all gotta get by! :)

Well, that's the thing though... no matter what happened in Oblivion, a lot of people stayed positive. I admit, it's kind of awkward to have Arch Mage Traven say "This is grave news, Mannimarco has returned," but with a big, happy smile on his face lol. Same with Martin. It's probably for reassurance and what not.

Wildroses

The only thing worse than a follower blocking the only door out would be a follower blocking the only door out while smiling at me. :D

Let's not have smiling, happy followers.

Anyway, how could you possibly be happy following a person who picks up and/or steals every single piece of junk not nailed down then makes you carry it all, thinks murder is the correct way to deal with annoying people who don't shut up, has the attention span of an ADD terrier on caffeine, makes you wait thirteen hours straight for a shop to open and primarily uses the ancient and respected art of the Thu'um to fus ro dah wildlife off cliffs? Sometimes I think the reason my followers are always throwing themselves in front of my attacks is because they are sick of living, especially with me.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well, that's the thing though... no matter what happened in Oblivion, a lot of people stayed positive. I admit, it's kind of awkward to have Arch Mage Traven say "This is grave news, Mannimarco has returned," but with a big, happy smile on his face lol. Same with Martin. It's probably for reassurance and what not.

Cyrodiil is weed capital. Everyone too high not to smile.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Man, I remember Martin glaring at me all the time in Oblivion. We'd get in a fight on the road, I'd eventually kill whatever it was that jumped out at us and then I'd look over to see Martin standing in a pool of his own blood, scowling at me as furiously as if the entire thing was my fault.

I still loved him though. :D

The only thing worse than a follower blocking the only door out would be a follower blocking the only door out while smiling at me. :D

Let's not have smiling, happy followers.

Anyway, how could you possibly be happy following a person who picks up and/or steals every single piece of junk not nailed down then makes you carry it all, thinks murder is the correct way to deal with annoying people who don't shut up, has the attention span of an ADD terrier on caffeine, makes you wait thirteen hours straight for a shop to open and primarily uses the ancient and respected art of the Thu'um to fus ro dah wildlife off cliffs? Sometimes I think the reason my followers are always throwing themselves in front of my attacks is because they are sick of living, especially with me.
Perhaps members of the DB? Since they know they can't die, they do everything within their AI to annoy you, so you do shout them off a cliff? Serana seems totally cool with all that too, since she has a morality of 3, but doesn't give a crap about you trespassing anywhere. Although, yeah, housecarls are your slaves, so they're probably more suicidal.
Cyrodiil is weed capital. Everyone too high not to smile.
Hm, can't say I disagree with that. Just look at everyone's faces there anyways :eek:

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I think the people in Skyrim are just very down to earth. During my trip to Turkey last summer everyone smiled at me while last year in Bulgaria people looked angry and uninterested all the time. :p It's just a different mentality. And of course life is hard in Skyrim. Despite the dragons who are coming back there's also a civil war raging in their province.

And one thing about Cicero: Some of you guys seem to 'like' the way he smiles and sings. I find his smile just as amusing as the smile of a herbert the pervert when he tries to lure me in his van with candy...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts