A real problem to us all :/

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kuurus

"So out of all those the most satisfying is FPS."

For you. That's great. Again, my basic point was don't assume there is a problem with somebody else and they need to "work at it" just because they don't enjoy what you enjoy. Different people get different things out of gaming.

ACEHOLE_76

how do you die? hows your magic resist/absorb? hows your life? My health barely budges when taking full dragon breath just standing there.

my boots absorb 44% of fire & frost my health is just over 600. i do not use resist magic enchanments. I die at least once a night and use a fair amount of potions still. I could make myself indistructable but why would I?

dbukalski

my boots absorb 44% of fire & frost my health is just over 600. i do not use resist magic enchanments. I die at least once a night and use a fair amount of potions still. I could make myself indistructable but why would I?

because the discussion is about the OP nature of characters with little effort and why thats a problem

"So out of all those the most satisfying is FPS."
For you. That's great. Again, my basic point was don't assume there is a problem with somebody else and they need to "work at it" just because they don't enjoy what you enjoy. Different people get different things out of gaming.

I didnt assume theres a problem with the guy. I assume, probably correctly, that his aversion to 10 year old chatter, t bagging is actually frustration at getting killed constantly. The answer to that would be to work at it. The purpose of "working" at it is to gain entry into a better gaming experience. Im a little over 30 years old. I figure I have another 50 years of gaming ahead of me. Im not going to curl up into a ball and say stupid 10 year olds for the next 50 years.

You think single player games are weak now compared to 10 years ago? I do. Its because online play is taking over. Why should designers waste tons of effort so people can get bored after 40 hours of gameplay when the same effort can generate 1-2k hours of gameplay online where the community generates all the story you need.

In 50 years the games are going to be off the charts and I doubt they will be single player oriented. Just the other day I was reading a review for a new game that is FPS and strategy. You run FPS but manage resources and bring up menues to drop buildings that create units etc. There was another game like starcraft(sci fi) where you could drop down into FPS view and drive the vehicles. Forget the name, that was very interesting too

I have the strategy experience, I have the FPS experience. Seems I need to brush up on my starcraft experience so I can take it to the next level.

ACEHOLE_76

because the discussion is about the OP nature of characters with little effort and why thats a problem

there has to be a plan to make your guy like that though you cant just pick perks at random and build without a plan. I planned out my perks and build so my guy would be a mosnter but changed midway when i saw how strong i was getting. This game has given people a choice make over powered charecters to just Keyser Söze everyone or you can make this game stay a challenge throughout while still making your guy really fun to play. to each their own.

ACEHOLE_76

I didnt assume theres a problem with the guy. I assume, probably correctly, that his aversion to 10 year old chatter, t bagging is actually frustration at getting killed constantly. The answer to that would be to work at it. The purpose of "working" at it is to gain entry into a better gaming experience. Im a little over 30 years old. I figure I have another 50 years of gaming ahead of me. Im not going to curl up into a ball and say stupid 10 year olds for the next 50 years.

cool glad to know what works for you, works for everyone.

dbukalski

Did I not throw enough IMO in front of each sentance to satisfy ur delicate ego?

As for planning my perks. Rpgs have terrible stories and immersion compared to a good book. The action is pitiful compared to a good movie or online game. I play skyrim for the character creation. Maybe if someone wanders aimlessly through the perks they'll be challenged by the game. But any experienced player will know that the best weapons will come from smithing/enchanting and once u see enchant/smithing potions then u realize from alchemy too.

Anyone, interested in the quality of their character is going to plan and then be disapointed when halfway through their too powerful. U know who doesn't plan their characters? My 10 year old son and half brother. Neither of which played past lvl 20 and then put the game down for an fps. So apparently wandering around aimlessly doesn't do it either.

Most young kids aren't going to sit through the majority of an rpgs static storyline the way us old guys are used to. The kids don't stick to skyrim but they watered it down so much that us older hardcore guys can't enjoy it either. The young kids are online players

dbukalski

Imo Since young kids are less and less into skyrim type games and more into fps imo they should make rpg hardcore for us older peeps imo...imo of course in case anyone thinks their honors impuned by my statements being construed as facts applying to everyone

Kuurus

You think single player games are weak now compared to 10 years ago? I do. Its because online play is taking over. Why should designers waste tons of effort so people can get bored after 40 hours of gameplay when the same effort can generate 1-2k hours of gameplay online where the community generates all the story you need.

In 50 years the games are going to be off the charts and I doubt they will be single player oriented. Just the other day I was reading a review for a new game that is FPS and strategy. You run FPS but manage resources and bring up menues to drop buildings that create units etc. There was another game like starcraft(sci fi) where you could drop down into FPS view and drive the vehicles. Forget the name, that was very interesting too

I have the strategy experience, I have the FPS experience. Seems I need to brush up on my starcraft experience so I can take it to the next level.
"I assume, probably correctly..." - There you go. From 2 lines of text on the internet, you are going to diagnose that someone has some sort of deficiency in their gaming skills that you are going to advise them how to overcome. Can't you just accept that some people have no interest in competing with other gamers, or simply enjoy a different aspect of gaming than you do?

And I disagree on your take about the recent past or forseeable future of single player games. The limited time I spent gaming in the past year was spent primarily on The Witcher 2 and Skyrim. Both fantastic single-player games with developers willing to put a lot of time and resources into them. Multi-player games are becoming more popular and more diverse and will continue to do so with advances in technology, but there will always be a large market for single player games. Too many people enjoy the peaceful aspect of doing things at their own pace or not being bothered by others. For me, my gaming time is about relaxing and getting away from other people just for a little while.

dbukalski

"I assume, probably correctly..." - There you go. From 2 lines of text on the internet, you are going to diagnose that someone has some sort of deficiency in their gaming skills that you are going to advise them how to overcome. Can't you just accept that some people have no interest in competing with other gamers, or simply enjoy a different aspect of gaming than you do?

And I disagree on your take about the recent past or forseeable future of single player games. The limited time I spent gaming in the past year was spent primarily on The Witcher 2 and Skyrim. Both fantastic single-player games with developers willing to put a lot of time and resources into them. Multi-player games are becoming more popular and more diverse and will continue to do so with advances in technology, but there will always be a large market for single player games. Too many people enjoy the peaceful aspect of doing things at their own pace or not being bothered by others. For me, my gaming time is about relaxing and getting away from other people just for a little while.

By his own admission he doesn't play fps online. Someone who doesn't play online can't have the skills involved. His 10 year olds screaming t bagging just enforces that he's speaking from frustrated deaths and using stereotypes to take the high ground about his decision to give up on online fps play.

Which is fine, I gave up on starcraft when I couldn't cut it, brain being too slow undisciplined. And so I miss out on that experience. If I thought I could get the skills I would keep trying. Fps doesn't require as much skill as online strat games so I think he can get the skills and open up that form of entertainment. Imo of course :)

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Hardest game I ever played here. Nothing "casual" about it, I spent almost as much time researching online to understand what was going on as I did playing. I got killed A LOT on Adept difficulty, Falmers and Chauruses were a massive pain. Probably would have tired of it without the Auto-Potion mod, at least. I am always trying to play without interrupting combat to go into the inventory menu, that really kills the "immersion" for me. The sucky console UI doesn't help there either.

I also didn't spend much time smithing, brewing potions or trading because i just never seemed to have the right perk or ingredient, I find these actvities boring, I didn’t know where to find alchemy recipes, and the traders never have money worth bothering with.

I agree with OP about the story being weak and the game rather shallow on the whole. It didn’t quite succeed in engaging me the way a book or film would, not for lack of words or pictures, just a rather bland combination of amazing assets. The game revolves mostly around becoming powerul enough to defeat enemies. There is little in the way of branching storylines depending on your choices and actions. Apart from a few OK puzzles, most of the thought required concerns how to power up your character and what look you prefer. Perhaps there are different "gameplay" styles, but it really is about what weapon you find more fun using. You can’t actually sneak or magic your way through the game. If you don't focus on acquiring strong enough weapons, most quests will be impossible.

I don't understand what people mean when they say "character development in Skyrim". Your character is from the start to end rarely funny, never says much, has no life story, and does not change in wizdom, intelligence, charisma or whatever in any visible way, you just get a higher "Speech" skill by repetitively opening books and talking to people or trading.

As for the other characters in the game, the poor scripting destroys any illusion of AI, the only "character development" visible is when they switch from the "friendly" 2-3 dialogue lines to the "unfriendly" or "enemy" 2-3 dialogue lines, with a few exceptions that have a little more of a story that they are eager to share with you, often uninvited... I just walked into an Orc fort and one of them was convinced to leave the Orcs and follow me after two lines of conversation, even though they usually tell me to go away. My "speech" skill is around 50... I think you’d have to be a master hypnotist or maybe the Orcs are really mentally retarded?

I got married, then had to leave the wife behind as I went off to save the world, then when I got back she just walked past me, and said the usual "Hello love" when I clicked on her. . .

All in all, it's all very "virtual" and superficial, which has its own charm, but will look terribly primitive in a few years, hopefully.

There's a weird discrepancy, it is an adult rated game with plenty of savagery, but , apart from kill moves, people never actually touch each other, let alone lie together in full armor, and the gameplay and storyline seem made for teenagers.

redrkt

Premium Member
First of all

RedRkt you came here to flame?Did anyone offended you in the first place?You know what?Heard something I said about shutting the door on your way out?I wont waste any more time on you...

Now Tyralias,
thank you very much,really!Your reply made something clear to me!I mean yeah,I knew already what you said but I was refusing to accept it!I mean after all it is a RPG!If you wanna roleplay a godlike character you must have the ability to do so without cheating.....And if you wanna roll a commoner as you said you should restrain yourself!
It's all about the freedom of choice and what Bethesda offers you in order yo fullfill your roleplay!

About Epsilon,

I have liked every single reply of yours in other threads and this on is not an exception!
I agree with you,partly though!

Yes,when you have soooo many people with soooo many different tastes waiting to play a game then sure thing is that you wont satisfy them all!And I also loved the game from the very first moment (in fact I was waiting for it before it even was announced) and that's why I didnt just put it aside and I'm here trying to "improve" my experience on it!

Btw shutting Oblivion gates was the most boring thing ever made in the world of TES and possibly the gaming world itself!That's why in my numerous Oblivion playthroughs I made the main questline only once just to see it and then I was that "commoner" guy mentioned above!

To sum up,thx to everyone that replied!(not the flamers)
As for me this thread is done!Any new reply is welcome but I think I figured out what I must do!
Either stay in my Mage and play god or start a new one and just be a commoner!

Gee guess I musta hit a nerve with that arrow huh?
No intent to flame, just my opinion of what I read, IF YOU have a problem with that then maybe you need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
My advice to the all the 'skyrims too easy' threads is simple. Trade in your copy of skyrim for dark souls/dark souls 2. Play that for 2-3 hours. Die 100-200 times. Trade back your copy of dark souls for skyrim. Smile at your ability to stay alive longer than 5 min periods. Done.

^^^^^This. I'm not going to go into a long rant about why I think Skyrim is great - end of story.

ACEHOLE_76

Perhaps there are different "gameplay" styles, but it really is about what weapon you find more fun using. You can’t actually sneak or magic your way through the game. If you don't focus on acquiring strong enough weapons, most quests will be impossible.

this is dead wrong I am level 58 and have never killed anything with a weapon. in fact i just made my 1st weapon today to get my one handed skill up as the wife doest put out as much has she used to and it may come in handy.

Opium_Bunny

I think I understand what the OP is saying, and some people really just need to open their minds and try to see it from his perspective. Telling people they are whiners is counter productive criticism.

What he's saying is that the game opens its doors to allow you to have all these great items that come your way, AS you are leveling up...as intended. The game encourages you and even REWARDS you with all these power weapons/armor all awhile silently urging you to "be of haste a great evil is coming, put these on".

The OP (thinking that he needs them) dons these glamorous gifts, intent on saving the world from atrocious evil...knowing that he is the ONLY one who is capable of taking down the behemoth, the source of all evil. The greatest threat to Skyrim lies in the hands of a lone soldier...a wanderer...a nobody. The OP is lead to believe that this is a battle comparable to David and Goliath. Knowing that all of Skyrim and the fate of his loved ones...his friends, his family...is vested upon his shoulders, knowing that this is his ONLY chance to show the world who he truly is and what it means to be dragon-born.

So when it comes to the showdown...the final boss (or whatever)...and he can one shot it without any problems!?!?!? What?! It is so easy that even Lydia can do it?? Am I getting Punk'd?? Isn't the greatest satisfaction in life is knowing that you are capable of overcoming all odds, given the right amount of tools and mechanics? Doesn't the dragon born...who was born out of rags...WANT to go through the massive trials of life to make it out bruised...torn, bloodied and yet still manage to destroy the most vile and evil force of Skyrim?

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
this is dead wrong I am level 58 and have never killed anything with a weapon. in fact i just made my 1st weapon today to get my one handed skill up as the wife doest put out as much has she used to and it may come in handy.

OK, so you use Destruction. When I wrote weapons, I meant Offensive power. If you can't kill hard, you won't make it, that's my experience. Sneaking won't get you past Dragon Priests.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I think the REAL problem to us all is the frustration that comes with the knowledge that anything we write on the internet is highly unlikely to be taken into account by Bethesda. The Beth forums and the Nexus forums are flooded with people making requests for fixes and wish lists for patches/DLC. I'm quite sure Bethesda ignores it, too much noise and conflicting requests there.

Opium_Bunny

I am one of the lucky few who is bad enough at video games to find the game very challenging...and thus...fun/enjoyable. Because honestly this is a role-playing game correct? Does it not break the immersion if you have to consciously remind yourself every 15 minutes to NOT wear this armor, and NOT wear that armor out of fear that you will be too OP?

Is it to too much for the original poster to make a small request that producers pretty pretty please make future ElderScrolls games to be more difficult, and that Skyrim is so near perfect a game that this one flaw is the ONLY thing that might hold it back from being the greatest RP ever made??? That perhaps he just LOVES Skyrim so much that he doesn't want to play Dark Souls...that he would rather play Skyrim...with just a tad bit more challenge thrown in?

cmp007

cmp007 you clearly have no idea what my point is so...I'm a mage!I mentioned that above but you were too busy thinking how you gonna flame!Anyway,how I'm supposed to use weaker weapon dumbass?I use spells!Even the lowest ranged spell is a serious damage dealer!Or better,my armor has 0 rating and I stopped using ebony flesh because enemies cant even reach me!So you know what you should do instead of being offensive?...GTFO of my thread!I'm polite to those who are with me,the rest please shut the door as you leave!

Yes I see you use spells. So use a weaker spell. I dont see why you couldnt do that. Use sparks against all your opponents and I guarantee it will get harder. On top of that make your difficulty the highest. I mean I see a valid reasoning there but it might just be me.

Opium_Bunny

Say you bought a pair of jeans for your daughter, you paid 60 hard earned dollars for it. There is a giant hole in the back...the merchant says to you: "Look all you have to do is patch it up with some thread and just don't stand up...just sit. GOD WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS WHINING!"

Say you go to a restaurant and you paid 60 dollars for a hard earned meal. The waiter brings you your steak with some dog turd on it....the waiter says to you: "Look all you have to do is scrape it aside, we are too busy working on other dishes right now GOD WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS WHINING?!?!"

Are we getting the OP's complaint now?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts