A real problem to us all :/

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
what are you talking about? my friend put in 1k hours into MW2, Im at 300 hrs on BF3(3 mos since release) and Im on the low end for my clan. Some of em are around 600hrs and I saw one dude who I think shares with his roommate at 1200hrs.

Most of use put in maybe 2 hrs into the campaign because who cares about that. Its all about the multiplayer and it seems your looking at it the complete opposite way. If you dont see that multiplayer is what FPS is all about then your missing the boat

Ive put maybe 40 hrs into skyrim and Im scratching my head why continue. Thats bad value. I put way more time into every computer/console game I play. Mass effect 2, any of the final fantasies or any of the oblivion type games before it. All the civ games etc

Now see? We're all different. I enjoy Halo: Reach ... single player. But Skyrim has consumed all my free time since it's release. Different strokes for different folks.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Campaign is mostly for giving the player a feel for the game and to whet their appetite to go MP. I'm the exception in that I prefer to play solo. No trash talking 10 year olds teabagging my corpse and never any lag. I still enjoy the game and feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it. And that's all that really matters to me.

dbukalski

this is going to sound like disrespect but, about 4 years ago I was where you are now. Never playing mp because my twitch reflexes werent up to the standards for an enjoyable game online. No one wants to be killed constantly. The idea that online play is swamped with screaming ten year olds(no ones forcing you to have chat turned up, I dont) or getting T bagged(that barely happens and your dead who cares what he wants to do) is false.

The only annoying parts about online play can either be glitches, imbalances or crappy team mates. Your online gameplay is not fun because you get killed too much and you cover that fact up by saying their too imature for you.

Having played single player RPGs, single player FPS and multi player FPS I would say that multi player FPS is a much richer experience of the 3. But you have to earn the skills needed to join that gameplay and enjoy it

Kuurus

this is going to sound like disrespect but, about 4 years ago I was where you are now. Never playing mp because my twitch reflexes werent up to the standards for an enjoyable game online. No one wants to be killed constantly. The idea that online play is swamped with screaming ten year olds(no ones forcing you to have chat turned up, I dont) or getting T bagged(that barely happens and your dead who cares what he wants to do) is false.

The only annoying parts about online play can either be glitches, imbalances or crappy team mates. Your online gameplay is not fun because you get killed too much and you cover that fact up by saying their too imature for you.

Having played single player RPGs, single player FPS and multi player FPS I would say that multi player FPS is a much richer experience of the 3. But you have to earn the skills needed to join that gameplay and enjoy it
Your entire post is opinion, yet you are trying to pass it off as a fact that applies to everyone. You cannot tell someone else what is/isn't annoying to them, or which is a more enjoyable style of play.

dbukalski

well duh its IMO, a post written by a forum goer is obviously IMO. Is this better?...

IMO this is going to sound like disrespect but, about 4 years ago I was where you are now IMO. Never playing mp because my twitch reflexes werent up to the standards for an enjoyable game online IMO. IMO No one wants to be killed constantly. The idea that online play is swamped with screaming ten year olds(no ones forcing you to have chat turned up, I dont) or getting T bagged(that barely happens and your dead who cares what he wants to do) is false IMO.

IMO The only annoying parts about online play can either be glitches, imbalances or crappy team mates. IMO Your online gameplay is not fun because you get killed too much and you cover that fact up by saying their too imature for you.

Having played single player RPGs, single player FPS and multi player FPS IMO I would say that multi player FPS is a much richer experience of the 3. But IMO you have to earn the skills needed to join that gameplay and enjoy it IMO

Better? It doesnt change the fact(IMO) that most likely thats exactly whats going on. He hasnt learned the skills to play online enjoyably. Theres only one way to do that which is to take your lumps online till you are good. People generally stick with what their comfortable, especially as they age. So breaking into MP fps can be rough

Epsilon

Shaun
what are you talking about? my friend put in 1k hours into MW2, Im at 300 hrs on BF3(3 mos since release) and Im on the low end for my clan. Some of em are around 600hrs and I saw one dude who I think shares with his roommate at 1200hrs.

Most of use put in maybe 2 hrs into the campaign because who cares about that. Its all about the multiplayer and it seems your looking at it the complete opposite way. If you dont see that multiplayer is what FPS is all about then your missing the boat

Ive put maybe 40 hrs into skyrim and Im scratching my head why continue. Thats bad value. I put way more time into every computer/console game I play. Mass effect 2, any of the final fantasies or any of the oblivion type games before it. All the civ games etc

Like i mentioned before everyone has their own limits with a game, eventually everyone will get tired of one game and move on. I spent a lot of hours myself on MW2 and 3 along with Black ops (zombies got addicting lol) but there is only so much i can take of shooting people, defusing bombs, shooting people and the other game modes. Its a great series don't get me wrong but once again everyone has their preferences and some people get burned out on certain games quicker than others. Personally i believe ill end up putting more hours in skyrim than i ever did with the COD series just because i enjoy RPGs so much. Everyone has different tastes in games and limitations. Im sure ill still hop on MW3 and play a good bit between my Skyrim play. FPS are not for everyone, i love both a lot but it always goes back to personal preference. I believe between the two series ive gotten my money worth and more. Just play what you like man, thats why the game industry makes all sorts of games so everyone can escape real life and have fun thats what gaming is all about.

dbukalski

Like i mentioned before everyone has their own limits with a game, eventually everyone will get tired of one game and move on. I spent a lot of hours myself on MW2 and 3 along with Black ops (zombies got addicting lol) but there is only so much i can take of shooting people, defusing bombs, shooting people and the other game modes. Its a great series don't get me wrong but once again everyone has their preferences and some people get burned out on certain games quicker than others. Personally i believe ill end up putting more hours in skyrim than i ever did with the COD series just because i enjoy RPGs so much. Everyone has different tastes in games and limitations. Im sure ill still hop on MW3 and play a good bit between my Skyrim play. FPS are not for everyone, i love both a lot but it always goes back to personal preference. I believe between the two series ive gotten my money worth and more. Just play what you like man, thats why the game industry makes all sorts of games so everyone can escape real life and have fun thats what gaming is all about.

i played golden eye on n64 when i was like 15 or something. Didnt touch another FPS till 15 years later when my son started playing MW2. So I did too, first i camped in corners, then got better and camped like a pro, then got better and started running like rambo.

Blackops was a step down other than zombies, mw3 is just the same old run and shoot. But bf3 for all its glitches and flaws is a breath of fresh air. The interaction between tanks, helos, jets all controlled by players rather than killstreak AI is epic. The weapons, graphics, size of the maps and being able to actually operate the vehicles takes it to a whole new level.

the modern warfare series have epic killstreaks which are fun to get. But youll only ever get to run and shoot, the kill streaks are much removed from your gameplay.

Epsilon

Shaun
i played golden eye on n64 when i was like 15 or something. Didnt touch another FPS till 15 years later when my son started playing MW2. So I did too, first i camped in corners, then got better and camped like a pro, then got better and started running like rambo.

Blackops was a step down other than zombies, mw3 is just the same old run and shoot. But bf3 for all its glitches and flaws is a breath of fresh air. The interaction between tanks, helos, jets all controlled by players rather than killstreak AI is epic. The weapons, graphics, size of the maps and being able to actually operate the vehicles takes it to a whole new level.

the modern warfare series have epic killstreaks which are fun to get. But youll only ever get to run and shoot, the kill streaks are much removed from your gameplay.

Yea i agree with that mostly, i just couldn't get into bf3, i put a good bit of time into and it looked great and i think its a great game but it just wasn't for me i guess. And i forgot about that old school golden eye i remember playing that game, takes me back

Static

Not all of us want to, or can, spend a silly amount of time levelling. Changing things so that you get less XP per attack/kill doesn't improve the game at all, it just adds a fake sense of longevity and achievement. So you didn't enjoy the game more than you have others, boo-hoo, that's life. It doesn't mean the game is at fault, it just means it didn't appeal to you.

Don't be so self-concerned as to presume that things should be tailored to your desires.

dbukalski

Yea i agree with that mostly, i just couldn't get into bf3, i put a good bit of time into and it looked great and i think its a great game but it just wasn't for me i guess. And i forgot about that old school golden eye i remember playing that game, takes me back

being honest, did you just play the beta? What game mode did you play? IMO...

TDM is flawed because all you can do is run around MW style. No vehicles, small map, BF3 stripped of all the extras is an inferior MW game

Conquest- on consoles is fun but flawed because 2-3 tanks, 1-2 planes, 1-2 helos leaves too few people actually running around shooting FPS style. It can definitely turn into a musical chairs event

Rush- is the most fun mode. the right amount of vehicles so that a 12 man team still has solid FPS going on. The mcoms condense the action into a smaller area

That being said, my 10 year has a hard time with BF3. In MW/COD he runs around like a chicken killing things to the tune of roughly a 1 K/D ratio. In BF3 he tries running around and he keeps getting dropped. Its more important in bf3 where/how you run/position yourself. Theres bullet drop and bullet velocity. So you have to aim above their heads and ahead of where their running. In COD you put reticule on target and shoot regardless of distance.

This is my first game of its type and, so far, I am challenged. However, I can see that long-time players may quickly reach a point that it does become simple. Far be it from me to tell the designers what to do (promptly does so), but it should be fairly easy to build in an infinite difficulty ratchet. Whatever the mechanism is for determining damage (in both directions) I assume there is a modifier of some type: i.e.
Damage = (weapon x strength) / (enemy strength x armor x difficulty). Players could keep hitting a difficulty button that would keep raising it to any level they wanted.

dbukalski

thats what other games pretty much had and what skyrim needs. That way I can take my character to the max like my OCD power leveling requires and still be challenged. Then I could measure my ability by how high a difficulty Im playing on

Epsilon

Shaun
yea it was the beta, and i do some sniping but im the type of guy that carefully goes around sweeps building, sit in a spot for a minute to scope out and move out to the next area when it seems safe. BF3 didnt fit my style of play too well, its a good game just not for me

dbukalski

when I first started BF3 I ran around rambo and got dropped constantly from bushes and stuff. Then you get familiar with the game and you still run around rambo. I dont sweep buildings, I dont sit in spots with a scope. I rush forward like I always did with COD/MW I think more about how I do it. Now I get on MW and its brainless easy.

The problem with basing your experience on beta is that it was an infantry only map, with most of the unique weapons blocked(mortars, MAV etc). It was a medium sized open map. No buildings, just relatively flat ground. So you end up with a larger proportion of snipers. So the BF3 experience of vehicles was missing, no buildings, too many snipers does not = normal BF3 play. There was also a glitch where a player running took more damage so even non sniping fire was often one hit kill.

Generally speaking sniping is the most useless thing you can do on BF3. The large maps means its hard to get frequent targets. Many sniperes end the game with 4-1 k/d and no fun playing with objectives. Their derided by most people in the community for being useless to the team. Its a boring playstyle with little reward. The most played class is engineer and assault. The action on BF3 is way more intense than MW.

suppression blurs your screen, smoke, debrees, walls crumbling, people dying, being brought back to life, RPGs, mortars, helos/tanks shooting atyou make for intense battles where it can get very disorienting whats going on.

MW is just bullets and explosives

Kuurus

...Better? It doesnt change the fact(IMO) that most likely thats exactly whats going on. He hasnt learned the skills to play online enjoyably. Theres only one way to do that which is to take your lumps online till you are good. People generally stick with what their comfortable, especially as they age. So breaking into MP fps can be rough
The point is not everybody wants to play a mutli-player FPS, or cares about whether they possess your skill at it. You make a ridiculous assumption that the only reason he preferred single player is that he doesn't possess your oh so amazing twitch reflexes and basically gave him a condescending "just keep at it sonny and you'll be great like me someday".

I used to spend time on multi-player games. Not so much FPS games, but way too much time in fact spent on things like Everquest and WoW, both PvE and PvP. I tired of the time sink and especially having to schedule game play with potentially dozens of other people for raids and such. I prefer single player, start/stop/pause when I feel like it games. I have to deal with other people all day. I prefer gaming by myself. I find single player a far, far more satisfying gaming experience and twitch skills or lack thereof aren't a factor. I suspect there are a lot of others who feel the same. If you get more satisfaction out of the multi-player aspect, by all means, that's great. Just don't assume there is a "problem" with somebody else because they don't.

Epsilon

Shaun
I may give it another try later down the road, i may pick up a used version sometime im sure i could pick up on it decently quick. What system you play on?

ACEHOLE_76

i am lvl 58 and have an armor rating of almost 1500 and I die from time to time. My question is are you playing on master? If yes try using only robes for armor if you still are never dieing you used a cheat somewhere along the way. Last night well doing a quest in Morthal I got to far in to a cave got surronded by vampires and died. So if I can die with all that armor anyone less then me can die with no armor on IMO.

dbukalski

The point is not everybody wants to play a mutli-player FPS, or cares about whether they possess your skill at it. You make a ridiculous assumption that the only reason he preferred single player is that he doesn't possess your oh so amazing twitch reflexes and basically gave him a condescending "just keep at it sonny and you'll be great like me someday"

When did I say I had oh so amazing reflexes? my 10 year old son has better reflexes and he gets terrible scores. Im one of the worst in my clan. But I learned enough about the strategy, picked up enough reflexes to be able to compete against random players. Thats what Im telling him to try. At 30 years of age I made my first forays into online FPS, I sucked, then I got better. And the experience blows most other game types out of the water. Thats coming from a 3 year EQ player, 2 years wow(gave up all the MMO games too addictive and time consuming)

not having twitch reflexes is not a problem. I dont play starcraft because I dont have the skills needed. The incredible multitasking, quick keying reflexes. That I dont have those skills is not a problem. But I may be missing on a really awesome experience. I made attempts at getting good at that game but my brains too slow and it didnt seem that was going to improve by much so I had to concede defeat. But I did try.

If someones playing FPS single player then I strongly encourage them to put the effort into getting the skills to play online because its not even in the same league. Single player is a sad joke compared to online.

I used to spend time on multi-player games. Not so much FPS games, but way too much time in fact spent on things like Everquest and WoW, both PvE and PvP. I tired of the time sink and especially having to schedule game play with potentially dozens of other people for raids and such. I prefer single player, start/stop/pause when I feel like it games. I have to deal with other people all day. I prefer gaming by myself. I find single player a far, far more satisfying gaming experience and twitch skills or lack thereof aren't a factor. I suspect there are a lot of others who feel the same. If you get more satisfaction out of the multi-player aspect, by all means, that's great. Just don't assume there is a "problem" with somebody else because they don't.

FPS are start/stop games. Pausing you just quit out of the game. At most your losing 10 minutes of invested time into a game that you quit. so none of the scheduling problems you mentioned.

By your own admission you have not invested the time into FPS to have an objective view of the merits vs other game types. Im not the top gamer in the world. But Ive been the MMO addict, the RPG addict, the strategy game addict(hearts of iron, civ, sim city, sword of stars anyone? :) ). I tried the starcraft genre and sucked. So out of all those the most satisfying is FPS.

I wouldnt be surprised if the most difficult of all (starcraft whatever genre that is) is the most gratifying. Considering that of the genres I have gotten good at, FPS was the most difficult and most gratifying.

dbukalski

i am lvl 58 and have an armor rating of almost 1500 and I die from time to time. My question is are you playing on master? If yes try using only robes for armor if you still are never dieing you used a cheat somewhere along the way. Last night well doing a quest in Morthal I got to far in to a cave got surronded by vampires and died. So if I can die with all that armor anyone less then me can die with no armor on IMO.

how do you die? hows your magic resist/absorb? hows your life? My health barely budges when taking full dragon breath just standing there.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts