• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lurknir

There's only one hell, the one we live in now.
So a Jarl's court consists or a Housecarl, a steward and a court wizard correct? Is there anyone else in their court?

I'm curious because I'm writing a fanfic about an Argonian becoming Jarl of Riften, but his court also consists of a spymaster and a Nord peacekeeper.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Some of the courts have an additional combat strategist type person. That person might also act as a liaison for an outside, allied group or power. One or more Thanes could also be included in the group.

While likely not counted as being members of the "court," you will also regularly find the Jarls family members and servants/support people.

Obviously there is no set standard on court members and it varies from hold to hold. You will always have a housecarl and a steward, but after that, you can customize however you wish.

Lucid

+1 to everything Raido said. Every hold capital has a military appointee (an Imperial Legate or Stormcloak General) who is not an official member of court, but is a defence and combat advisor, and reports back to their military commander. If your hold were neutral, or your story does not take place during the Skyrim civil conflict, it could be a personally appointed strategist.

Some Jarls have personal advisors too (like Hrongar to Balgruuf).

Your fanfic = your rules.

Lucid

And I think the Thanes are officially courtiers (at least in Solitude). You could appoint Thanes and give them whatever special jobs (spying, negotiations) you want, while they would appear to be "regular" nobles to everybody else.

JoeReese

Don't forget your guard commander. Somebody's gotta keep 'em outta the bars and at their posts.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I agree with everything that has been said already.

Only thing I could add is, depending on the hold, I could absolutely see wealthy and affluent members of the community advising the Jarl. But I guess they would just be your typical advisers, but with ulterior motives.

It does depend entirely on the kind of Jarl you're writing. He may have a large cabinet or he may prefer to have one or two trusted people close to him. As long as he's not taking advice from the town beggar, I imagine you're doing it right.

JoeReese

I agree with everything that has been said already.

Only thing I could add is, depending on the hold, I could absolutely see wealthy and affluent members of the community advising the Jarl. But I guess they would just be your typical advisers, but with ulterior motives.

It does depend entirely on the kind of Jarl you're writing. He may have a large cabinet or he may prefer to have one or two trusted people close to him. As long as he's not taking advice from the town beggar, I imagine you're doing it right.

Building on that, you could make him a wise Jarl, who knows an agenda when he sees one. Consequently, though me may accept advice from these wealthy citizens from time to time, he always weighs it against his own knowledge and that of those he trusts, and he never awards these manipulators titles.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts