A message to Atheists (and Christians too).

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Hi my name is Raijin, and I'm an Agnostic :) I was close to becoming a full fledge Atheist until my spiritual side of me interfered with my final decision.

Like the thread creator, I too, am not going to start preaching because that is not in my position to force my beliefs on people.

However overly religious parents like on the first photo, Lana, is doing a fine job driving their children away from them because of their strong religious beliefs. To throw away their Harry potter books and forbid them to watch the movie? OUTRAGOUS! Even as minors parents have no right to throw away their children belongings without them acknowledging that it's OK to throw them out. Thats part of building up trust and better relationship with your children. When you deliberately throw away your children's stuffs your tarnishing that trust and relationship. I wonder what Lana would feel if her child took her expensive wedding ring and flushed it down the toilet? It wouldn't feel so good.

What Lana needs to do is schedule an appointment to the nearest mental health facility because I believe that she needs therapy.

In spite of the religious aspects regarding to homosexuality religion is degrading towards women... even goes as far as to make women feel like pl*** when their having their periods. It's bad enough that they go through agony which contribute to the misery of others that surrounds them, but to tell them that their “uncleaned” and that the religion restricts them from doing certain things is ridiculous.

This one quote annoyed me a great deal Genesis 3:16 “To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

No man should rule over women.

What about the catholic church? The worst of the bunch. They purposely (up until recent) protected their pedophile priests from law enforcements. They continue letting children be sexually assaulted by these sexual predators. I mostly blame this ridiculous requirements of clerical celibacy. Really? It goes against reproduction, which is required for us to continue with our species. How can you go against mother nature?

I wouldn't look at Catholicism when dealing with Christians. They're so perverse and greedy, it isn't even funny.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Something worth watching.... This is what religion does to people. They go as far as to disown their blood children because they were born gay.

When I hear stories like this it makes me wonder if religion it self is a Mental disorder of the brain.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
As a Christian, I think the problem with biblical views on homosexuality is with the amount of importance placed on it.

The bible is quite clear on it being biblically wrong. Whether others place didn't merit on the bible is another story. The problem is that it is no larger a biblical sin than lying, theft, murder, adultery, etc.

I have both lied and stolen, amongst other things. Biblically, I am no better than a homosexual in my sins.

No, I don't fear homosexuals. I have views on it that aren't for this thread.

Many other things can be seen this way. Over-religious people suck. The includes atheists, and all other religions.

This.

The Bible says that Homosexuality is a sin. There's not getting around it. But when you think about it, so is theft. Murder. Lying. It says it's a sin, it doesn't say that Homosexuals are going to hell. I don't have a problem with homosexuals, personally. The Bible says it's a sin therefore I will never be one, but I acknowledge that people are given a choice. God gave people free will. Just as they're able to sin, they're able to be homosexual.

EDcellent

Thank you chowda, for being an informed Christian. It's aways good to find people that actually try to know AND understand their faith.

As for me, I'm a Theist at this point in time. I find it more reasonable to believe that there's a God/higher power then nothing at all. I used to be an atheist, but I found it extremely interesting that you can't prove or disprove God, you can only have evidence for one theory/faith or another. "ask Cliff" is a youtube favorite of mine, it's about a pastor that goes from campus to campus and debates/talks about religion. He actualloy resides in Connecticut, and I was thinking about going to one of his sermons/discussions. He's actually beeen to Uconn multiple times (college campus).

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Something worth watching.... This is what religion does to people. They go as far as to disown their blood children because they were born gay.

When I hear stories like this it makes me wonder if religion it self is a Mental disorder of the brain.

The religion itself is not the problem. The problem is what the followers do believing that they are adhering to said religion.

Osiris

Child of the Sky
I'm not a Christian myself(Ironically my name is Christian), but I can respect other people's views, this is the US after all. To be honest, there is no way to prove or disprove God.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I'm not a Christian myself(Ironically my name is Christian), but I can respect other people's views, this is the US after all. To be honest, there is no way to prove or disprove God.

There is if you look hard enough. I believe there's plenty of proof if you know where to look. But that's just me.

But unless God comes up to me and says "Hey Chowder, I'm God, and I'm real" it cannot be 100% proven.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Nor can evolution. Until there has been recorded history long enough to have absolute proof that this monkey has changed over the last thousand years, you cannot prove it. So don't try.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Hey Chowder...I'm God, and I'm real. :D

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, you opened the door for my ego, I walked through it. :D

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Ah, great. I forgot what I was doing before I started replying.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I wouldn't look at Catholicism when dealing with Christians. They're so perverse and greedy, it isn't even funny.

Some of the other branches of Christianity are just as bad. Roman Catholics paved the way for the other sects of Christianity. And without Judaism, there wouldn't be Christianity. Seriously, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are extremely similar. But, only those who are faithful to these three religions fail to see it.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Some of the other branches of Christianity are just as bad. Roman Catholics paved the way for the other sects of Christianity. And without Judaism, there wouldn't be Christianity. Seriously, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are extremely similar. But, only those who are faithful to these three religions fail to see it.

Not to mention the Watchtower. Anyone that thinks even for a second that Jehova's Witnesses are Christians is stupid.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
The religion itself is not the problem. The problem is what the followers do believing that they are adhering to said religion.

Actually the religion is the problem. It is one of the most successful methods of brainwashing people into doing exactly what you want them to do. It's responsible for creating hate and wars in this world. It causes parents to disown their children for building up the courage, and telling them that their gay. It creates violence against the gays/transgenders/transexuals,etc.

Look at these children being brainwashed by religious schools. Yikes.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Not to mention the Watchtower. Anyone that thinks even for a second that Jehova's Witnesses are Christians is stupid.
They just built a new Jehovah's Witness hall in my town...every time I drive by it, all I think of is that scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian where the dude is gonna get stoned for saying Jehovah...

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Actually the religion is the problem. It is one of the most successful methods of brainwashing people into doing exactly what you want them to do. It's responsible for creating hate and wars in this world. It causes parents to disown their children for building up the courage, and telling them that their gay. It creates violence against the gays/transgenders/transexuals,etc.

Look at these children being brainwashed by religious schools. Yikes.
I feel like this is starting to become a "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" debate. While there's no doubt in my mind that religion does make an attempt at brainwashing, is it really the religion that is causing parents to disown homosexual children? Cause it sounds to me like that is a voluntary action that is merely influenced by it. God didn't come down from his cloud, hold a gun up to those parents heads and say "disown them," they made their own decision. A wrong one, IMO, but it's still their decision. I won't deny that the religion is an influencing factor, but it's not fully responsible. Humans are capable of shaping their own destiny...it's just the weak ones who allow themselves to be molded by the hate.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
I've been playing violent video games since I was 7. In fact, my first video game was good old Gun for the original Xbox.
Good grief, I feel old.
You're going to find me stupid, then, because I consider anyone who professes Jesus Christ as the Savior to be a "Christian." They may not live or believe the same way I do, but that doesn't mean they're not Christian.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I feel like this is starting to become a "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" debate. While there's no doubt in my mind that religion does make an attempt at brainwashing, is it really the religion that is causing parents to disown homosexual children? Cause it sounds to me like that is a voluntary action that is merely influenced by it. God didn't come down from his cloud, hold a gun up to those parents heads and say "disown them," they made their own decision. A wrong one, IMO, but it's still their decision. I won't deny that the religion is an influencing factor, but it's not fully responsible. Humans are capable of shaping their own destiny...it's just the weak ones who allow themselves to be molded by the hate.

I agree that it is the person themselves that is the true cause of it but what if these parents were not religious at all, would they have any reason to disown their kids?

Nor can evolution. Until there has been recorded history long enough to have absolute proof that this monkey has changed over the last thousand years, you cannot prove it. So don't try.

So you are a denier of Evolution, then? And how did humans get to where we are now, biologically? There is much proof that Evolution does exist. Fossils that have been traced, DNA that has been analyzed to show we have 99% similar strands of DNA to Bonobo monkeys, is that a fluke? Look up Youtube videos of these creatures, its fascinating how human-like they are.

I mean what other proof do you need, exactly?

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
^ Yep I don't know if anyone has watched Sir David Attenborough - First Life goes a hell of a long way explaining how life started out, it's well worth a watch.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

It's sad because this thread was not meant to spark a debate. Guess that's just the rule of the internet, though.

And you're right. Religion did not make that guy's parents disown him. Religion allowed them to justify it. Also, I read somewhere yesterday that the "hate jews" thing mentioned in the Bible did not come about until the Bible was (very, very poorly) translated from Hebrew to English. It was mistranslated. I'm not sure exactly what the Bible says about homosexuals, but it is most certainly not what it is believed to be today. I'll have to ask a friend of mine - he learned Hebrew so he could read the untranslated Bible, since very much of it was lost or mistranslated when it was converted to English.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
It's sad because this thread was not meant to spark a debate. Guess that's just the rule of the internet, though.
But it's been a pleasant and respectful debate though. Which is how debates should be conducted among peers. :)