A meaningful game without dragons ?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

OK . I already know that random and buried dragons won`t generally appear until you kill the dragon at Whiterun. I also know that the Civil War and Main quests can`t be completed unless you do this.

But are there any other quests that require knowing an operating Dragon Shout or having an item or ability that can only be obtained by killing that first scaly beast ?

It would seem that if you have Dawnguard loaded , you should still be able to obtain Dragon armor or weapons after killing the 2 dragons in Lost Vale and looting the respawnable dragon bones in Valerica`s Study at Castle Volkihar.

Thanks for any input on this issue !

Neriad13

Premium Member
I entirely played through Dawnguard without even starting the Main Quest and spawning dragons. Here's what I've got:

- The only dragon I fought in the entire questline was Durnehviir. He had some unique dialogue for me, addressing me as a dovah, though he didn't understand why.

- I didn't meet the two dragons in the Lost Vale, though I walked all over that ice and hiked up to the word wall. Serana warned me that the ice seemed awfully thin, but nothing ever came of it. I believe that there were only a couple ice wraiths hanging around in that area.

- However, Valerica's study definitely had the respawnable dragon bones in my game. But I guess that you'd have to wait through a lot of respawns before you gained enough bones to do anything meaningful with.

- As for a non-lethal source of dragon scales, apparently there's one close to Rorikstead.

Adam Warlock

I entirely played through Dawnguard without even starting the Main Quest and spawning dragons. Here's what I've got:

- The only dragon I fought in the entire questline was Durnehviir. He had some unique dialogue for me, addressing me as a dovah, though he didn't understand why.

- I didn't meet the two dragons in the Lost Vale, though I walked all over that ice and hiked up to the word wall. Serana warned me that the ice seemed awfully thin, but nothing ever came of it. I believe that there were only a couple ice wraiths hanging around in that area.

- However, Valerica's study definitely had the respawnable dragon bones in my game. But I guess that you'd have to wait through a lot of respawns before you gained enough bones to do anything meaningful with.

- As for a non-lethal source of dragon scales, apparently there's one close to Rorikstead.
Thanks , my friend , for that info.

What level were you when you went to Forgotten Vale ? Is it possible you were too early for level 62 Revered Dragons to appear or do you believe they won`t spawn at all until Dragon Rising quest is completed ?

It also now occurs to me that the Alteration Ritual Spell quest may be impossible to complete since Dragon Heartscales are needed . This would prevent obtaining Dragonhide and Mass Paralysis master spells

Neriad13

Premium Member
Thanks , my friend , for that info.

What level were you when you went to Forgotten Vale ? Is it possible you were too early for level 62 Revered Dragons to appear or do you believe they won`t spawn at all until Dragon Rising quest is completed ?

It also now occurs to me that the Alteration Ritual Spell quest may be impossible to complete since Dragon Heartscales are needed . This would prevent obtaining Dragonhide and Mass Paralysis master spells

I think I was somewhere around level 30. As for the next question, I really can't say for certain. But from a logical viewpoint, wouldn't it make more sense to include lower-leveled dragons for a lower-leveled character to encounter if there are going to be dragons in an area?

Adam Warlock

I think I was somewhere around level 30. As for the next question, I really can't say for certain. But from a logical viewpoint, wouldn't it make more sense to include lower-leveled dragons for a lower-leveled character to encounter if there are going to be dragons in an area?
Since those two are named rather than random , I wouldn`t have expected a lower form to appear earlier.
It also makes sense that if none of the other named dragons will appear then neither will these.
I can say that after a number of return trips to the Vale , no new dragons have appeared after the first two.

Still nice that there`s a source for dragon supplies without dragons .
It`s quite a long wait before dragon loot begins to appear in treasure chests.
If the Shrine of Akatosh near Rorikstead respawns that Dragonscale it will have to do I suppose.
If you are meticulous about revisiting there and at Valerica`s , by the time you`ve advanced Smithing to dragon level you should have enough materials to make some nice gear.

The Staff of Magnus quest and the Skeletal Dragon in it should also provide some bones but alas no scales

Does the Blackreach dragon appear even without starting the main quest?

Adam Warlock

With such limited dragon materials available in this type of game , I would opt for Light Armor(if armored at all) and make Dragonscale when allowed but use the bones to make the otherwise unavailable Dragonbone weapons.

Niq

is it just personal preference, or do you really rate dragon gear that highly? as in OP is says issue...

Adam Warlock

is it just personal preference, or do you really rate dragon gear that highly? as in OP is says issue...

Rating Dragon gear (lvl 81 master Xbox)

Dragonplate Armor - ugly design that doesn`t suit my Altmer character anyway. In fact , the only race that looks good wearing it are the Khajiit imho. Not really that much better than Daedric . Extremely rare as a loot item tho(best found yet Dragonplate Helmet of Extreme Magicka)

Dragonscale Armor - I like the look much better than Elven or Glass even with the design flaws like that spike just under the chin. Clearly the strongest light armor as well. I`ve got some very nice pieces from chests including 5 sets of gauntlets with Peerless enchantments. So far ratio of finds is 3-1 over Dragonplate but still uncommon

Dragonbone Weapons - LOVE THEM ! Great design(except the warhammer) and very powerful. The dagger has become my go-to blade in recent days. The bow and arrows are awesome and I have much less problems with followers using their default hunting bows if I have equipped them with these.

OP ? Certainly the case now for minor league bandits like the ones at Embershard Mine but with Dawnguard loaded there are new high-end bad guys to provide challenge.
Nightmaster and Nightlord Vampires
Falmer Warmongers and Chaurus Hunters
Revered and Legendary Dragons !

Whenever I feel like I`m getting too big for my ragged trousers , I go to Liar`s Retreat as a solo to get my ass handed to me by the swarm of Warmongers that now lurk there.
Even with Dragon gear , I`ve never been able to get through that place as a lone straight-up warrior and must rely on sneaking and/or help from follower/thralls to survive.
Arcwind Point also still an extreme trial with a Legendary Dragon and 5 Dragr Deathlords.

For intermediate foes , I often dumb down my kit by switching to a mix of clothes and armor or using armor limited to a singular enchantment (the aforementioned dragonscale gauntlets) instead of the two custom enchants I`m allowed.

Bottom line : You`re only as over-powered as you want to be . One of my favorite things to do now is to go to Brood Cavern and fight the bears with nothing but a dagger and wearing a loincloth(no armor or robes). Much fun . I look like a pointy-eared Tarzan !

Niq

ugly design that doesn`t suit my Altmer character anyway. In fact , the only race that looks good wearing it are the Khajiit imho. Heavier but not really that much better than Daedric
Thats good news for me then... i am a heavy armor wearing warrior Khajiit, who uses two handed weapons and blocks! :cool: so the armor is made for me! Gutted about the fact it is rare tho.. will have to raise some smithing skills, which i have only been keeping low on advice from someone on the forum (apparently if i raise it too high i will level to quick and be weak)
Dragonbone Weapons - LOVE THEM ! Great design(except the warhammer) and very powerful
Again im so happy! i love the look of my Khajiit weilding a battleaxe, i tried greatswords but it looks like his tail is being chopped off when he runs and jumps lmao (im playing him 3rd person)

This -
my favorite things to do now is to go to Brood Cavern and fight the bears with nothing but a dagger and wearing a loincloth . I look like a pointy-eared Tarzan !
haha this i would love to see!!

Adam Warlock

Thats good news for me then... i am a heavy armor wearing warrior Khajiit, who uses two handed weapons and blocks! :cool: so the armor is made for me! Gutted about the fact it is rare tho.. will have to raise some smithing skills, which i have only been keeping low on advice from someone on the forum (apparently if i raise it too high i will level to quick and be weak)
Again im so happy! i love the look of my Khajiit weilding a battleaxe, i tried greatswords but it looks like his tail is being chopped off when he runs and jumps lmao (im playing him 3rd person)

This -
haha this i would love to see!!
In my experience , Dragonbone weapons are never found in a chest or for purchase from a vendor but can only be obtained if you smith them yourself.
Conjured Wrathmen will wield them but can`t be looted or pickpocketed as far as I know

Niq

TY, in that case is it safe to start leveling Smithing at level 32?

Adam Warlock

definitely
If you feel like your offense is suffering as you raise your defense , you might try a little Alchemy on the side.
Collect Dragon`s Tongue , Mudcrab Chitin , and Troll Fat to make a really nice potion that will not only fortify your 2h attack but also give you added protection against fire and poison !
Dragon`s Tongue and Fly Amanita also makes a similar brew but without the poison resistance

Niq

Yea my Heavy armor and Block skill are pretty high, but im not sure my armor is upto par with my level (as i said earlier i received a tip from a forum user saying don't level smithing, enchant or alchemy) and saying that i'm not sure my damage output is at optimum yet.

Sorry for pulling this thread away from topic btw, i just realised you knew what you were talking about lol.

Thanks for the Potion tip too.

Adam Warlock

TY, in that case is it safe to start leveling Smithing at level 32?

Yea my Heavy armor and Block skill are pretty high, but im not sure my armor is upto par with my level (as i said earlier i received a tip from a forum user saying don't level smithing, enchant or alchemy) and saying that i'm not sure my damage output is at optimum yet.

Sorry for pulling this thread away from topic btw, i just realised you knew what you were talking about lol.

Thanks for the Potion tip too.

the advice you were given was well-founded as will soon be discovered as you rise to lvl 40-50.
a lot of high-end baddies and improved support troops begin to appear during that period.
But if you`re doing OK at your current level , you should be fine.

To somewhat reduce the problem of leveling too quickly , make those potions in limited amounts for your use only. DON`T sell them since that will raise your Speech skill level.

Same can be said for the gear you produce while smithing . Try to obtain materials by mining , hunting , or looting rather than trading with vendors. Only sell the gear you make if you absolutely need the gold

Niq

Yea i believe i am doing alright.. i have ran into a few troubles, but i dont use conjuration or followers, that way i figure i get all the xp. i have noticed my stock of healing potions depleting at an alarming rate recently though, but now i am going to do some smithing and alchemy i hope i will get stronger.

Thanks for the advice dude.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts