• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ZombieTrash143

Hellish rock-and-roll Freak
I don't know if this should go in the "help" forum or this one. Sorry if it's in the wrong one

Basically I am considering getting Skyrim for PC as well as my Xbox. I'm not much of a PC gamer apart from Sims and Warcraft (gave that up a long time ago. I wanted a life)

What I'm asking is does anyone have any advice? Pro's and con's about the game on PC?

Input appreciated :)

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I don't know if this should go in the "help" forum or this one. Sorry if it's in the wrong one

Basically I am considering getting Skyrim for PC as well as my Xbox. I'm not much of a PC gamer apart from Sims and Warcraft (gave that up a long time ago. I wanted a life)

What I'm asking is does anyone have any advice? Pro's and con's about the game on PC?

I am also getting it for my PC. If you can wait a month for DLCs then do it! AND MODS! WONDEROUS MODS!

Godzillaman 08

From my experience at least Skyrim is much better on the PC. One plus is all the mods you can download, like capes, fire horses or what ever you want. Plus you can make the game look much better with graphical mods, if you are into that kind of stuff. The only problem is you a pretty good computer to run it, but I would most defiantly invest into a computer that could run Skyrim. Happy hunting :D

Drax Rifter

I've never been a console gamer. My last one was the SEGA Genesis back in 1996 so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

PC Pro's:
More precise controls, especially for ranged combat.
Better graphics (if you card can handle them).
Portability (if you are playing on a laptop).
Mods.
MODS.
M-O-D-S - seriously, there are some amazing mods out there. From the enhanced UI that allows you to sort items by value per weight to the amazing immersive armor mod which offer outfits like Dwarven Mage armor. I'm currently running about 16 mods most of them simply improve the look and feel of the game.

PC faults.
Poor graphics (if you pc can't handle the game).
Waiting for DLCs.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

annelid

Noob
I play both on my PS3 and PC. (my PC isn't particularly high spec, but it does ok)

I'm not sure about the precise control stuff, because I use a PS3 controller for both) but the real advantage of the PC version is definitely the mods.

I play the PS3 for the 'vanilla' experience, and the PC to try out mods etc. - various 'enhancements' to add something to it.

Both are good, but having the ability to mod things definitely gives the PC an edge.

Saving and transitions are also much faster on the PC, but not sure if that's the same with the XBOX.

AS88

Staff member
I'm on PS3 currently, but as soon as I graduate this summer and get a job, I'll be saving for a PC capable of running Skyrim with a ton of mods. I already have a list about 5 pages long of mods that I'm intending on downloading, there's literally that much - they're all lore friendly, too, none of them are ridiculous.

Also, for those concerned about DLC, Bethesda have said that they're not doing any more major DLC for Skyrim, just small updates. The modding community will probably be the leaders for that kind of development now, there's already all kinds of new locations and quests that have been made, available on Steam or the Skyrim Nexus.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Also, for those concerned about DLC, Bethesda have said that they're not doing any more major DLC for Skyrim, just small updates. The modding community will probably be the leaders for that kind of development now, there's already all kinds of new locations and quests that have been made, available on Steam or the Skyrim Nexus.
I'm not really open to quest mods as I fear they may cause problems for Skyrim

I saw a Morrowind remake mod. It looked awesome, but the creator failed to make the terrain look realistic. There was no variety in the soil, like in vanilla Skyrim there was grass and then tundra etc etc. In the mod there was none of that. And also the people were EFFING NAKED!

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
Here are some pros of the PC (my interpretation):
- Mods, mods everywhere! You can literally customize the game to your liking, with the proper tools.
- Screenshots; a feature that the console versions unfortunately lack.
- The graphics look a little crisper and more realistic to me.
- A more intimate experience, given that a laptop or desktop requires you to be a lot closer to the screen.

Now for the cons:
- Playing virtually any PC game with a keyboard is a pain in the ass, especially for someone who doesn't type properly like I do.
- Skyrim takes up a boatload of drive space.
- If your PC settings aren't optimal, the game is difficult to play.
- Bugs are bit more prevalent in the PC.

annelid

Noob
Yeah, I hate the keyboard interface too, always have done, which is why I got around to getting my PS3 controller working. I think you can do the same with an XBOX controller but it needs an extra dongle. (PS3 works by USB or Bluetooth)

AS88

Staff member
I'm not really open to quest mods as I fear they may cause problems for Skyrim

I saw a Morrowind remake mod. It looked awesome, but the creator failed to make the terrain look realistic. There was no variety in the soil, like in vanilla Skyrim there was grass and then tundra etc etc. In the mod there was none of that. And also the people were EFFING NAKED!

Yeah, there are sometimes some issues, but there are few in particular that are known for their quality. I would always hesitate before downloading any mod, especially larger ones that introduce new zones or NPCs