250 Tips/Tricks/Secrets in Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
Lets try to get at least 250 tips and tricks that we may know about Skyrim that are cool to know, or tricks that wont spoil quests for anyone.

Here we go..

1. If you're trying to steal stuff in a shop or area, and you are having a hard time sneaking, try putting a bucket on their head, they wont see you any more!

2. In Dawnstar, near the Mine closest to the Jarl's hall, there is a "Invisible" chest just off the the left of the entrance between a tree and rock. Contains A LOT of useful things like armour (leveled), alchemy ingredients, soul gems, and more.

3. If you are around a lot of bandits, and you don't think you can take them on your own, try dropping something valuable near them. They may try to fight each other to the death over it. ;)

AS88

Staff member
4. Probably the quickest way to level Illusion is to help Drevis Neloren at the College of Winterhold. His mystic tuning gloves, when used to cleanse the focal points, will give you instant magicka regeneration for an extended period of time. Casting Muffle over and over again levels Illusion very quickly, and it's possible to get very high in that skill before the effect wears off.

5. The same task of Drevis can also be used to level Conjuration. If you summon an atronach and then make it hostile by attacking it four times, this will add XP to your Conjuration skill. Then, cast Bound Sword in both hands over and over again (ie casting and sheathing constantly) until the summon expires. This is the fastest way I've levelled Conjuration.

6. Levelling Alteration can also be done with this effect, using the Detect Life spell in a heavily-populated area.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
4. Probably the quickest way to level Illusion is to help Drevis Neloren at the College of Winterhold. His mystic tuning gloves, when used to cleanse the focal points, will give you instant magicka regeneration for an extended period of time. Casting Muffle over and over again levels Illusion very quickly, and it's possible to get very high in that skill before the effect wears off.

5. The same task of Drevis can also be used to level Conjuration. If you summon an atronach and then make it hostile by attacking it four times, this will add XP to your Conjuration skill. Then, cast Bound Sword in both hands over and over again (ie casting and sheathing constantly) until the summon expires. This is the fastest way I've levelled Conjuration.

6. Levelling Alteration can also be done with this effect, using the Detect Life spell in a heavily-populated area.
I love 6.

AS88

Staff member
I love 6.

Telekinesis is another good spell to level Alteration. Just watch where you're throwing stuff, unless you want a bounty for slinging a cast iron pot at someone's face.

Daelon DuLac

Telekinesis is another good spell to level Alteration. Just watch where you're throwing stuff, unless you want a bounty for slinging a cast iron pot at someone's face.
HMS? Besides, I find it easier just to kill all the guards trying to arrest me and whisk away ethereal. It makes the next encounter all the more challenging.

Daelon DuLac

If you really want to level your smithing quickly. Wander the wilds killing bear, elk, wolf and goat. Go back to town and tan it. Then create a large # of leather armors and sell them back to the owner of the forge. I also pick up every ingot I find and use it at the forge (that is after you get the first perk - stick with iron and steel until you can perk up though). I get at least 2 points every time I'm at the forge by doing this.

Vex

Master Nightblade
#7. Take a platter and hold it up against the second pillar on your right from Dirge (the bouncer) in the Ragged Flagon in Riften, equip your Whirlwind Sprint and run into the platter, if done correctly you will glitch through the wall and into the water underneath the Ragged Flagon which will give you access to four (4) different chests with leveled loot. If you're a member of the Thieves Guild, all you must do is pay 1000 septim readmittance fee to regain favor.

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
5) If there are spider webs on the ceiling be sure to look up and search to shoot it down. The spiders tend to stay perched up there to try and ambush you. -from Herbalist's Beastiary - Frostbite Spiders

6) The more quality an item has, the more exp you gain from it when created or sold. Craft or sell high priced items for quick leveling.

7) There is a hidden chest under the Skyforge. To access it, from the entrance looking towards the city go to the right into a little space. There should be a barrel hugging the wall. Jump onto it and jump to the right. This will take some trial and error but if you do it right you'll jump over the wall and be on a bare version of the area around Whiterun. Run around to where the Skyforge is and there should be a "virtual hole" so to speak allowing you to go through the wall. Walk a few feet and it should be shown floating in mid air. Open it and take the goodies. Then just walk back through the gate and the game will turn back to normal. Oh and DON'T SAVE while in the pre-rendered area. IT may cause your game to permanently crash.

8) When you see a charus husk be sure to destroy it either with an arrow or a destruction spell. If you get too close, it will explode and a charus hunter will be born.

9) The silt strider is located in the southwest corner of Solsteim(sp?). It's just as big if not bigger than it was in Morrowind.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
#10. Want to level up Illusion quickly early on, before you can cast Muffle at a reduced cost? Try using Courage on every NPC you can find.

tonj

Master of Distraction
11) If a dungeon has a fork in the road (or two choices of path) check the less obvious one, there is almost always something to find, and they are dead ends. Then turn around and get back on track.

12) thick spiderwebs often conceal chests, you can burn the webs or hack at them with a weapon.

13) Sneak everywhere you go, especially in Holds to level it up more quickly.

14) Keeping your bow drawn while overburdened lets you walk a bit faster.

Omega

Vindictive Courier
15. If you have Shadowmere or have a torture chamber in the dawnstar sanctuary you can keep casting any spells on them until you have the desired level, casting a destruction spell and then using healing hands on a torture victim is a great way to level restoration and destruction.

16. If you're new to Skyrim and don't feel like traveling all the way to another major city for your next quest there is always a horse carriage outside the city which can take you to another city for a small fee.

17. At early levels those enemies that use conjuration to summon another enemy to aid them in battle can be a nuisance, just ignore the conjured atronach and focus on the summoner, once you kill him/her the summoned enemy will die with them.

18. Dual wielding pickaxes and slashing at an ore vein will allow you to mine it faster without the slow animation, there is also a unique pickaxe at the very top of the Throat of The World called 'Notched Pickaxe' (Minecraft reference?).

19. Go to Endons house in Markarth and proceed to the next room, face the shelf and crouch... Surprise!

Vex

Master Nightblade
20. While doing the quests to get the "One With The Shadows" achievement, you will get a Thieves Guild quest for Windhelm called "Summerset Shadows". Once you have completed this quest, Niranye will have 4,000 gold on her every two days. Keep stealing as much gold from her as desired. It is possible to steal almost 145,000 gold in thirty minutes. This also is an easy way to get the "Golden Touch" achievement.

Vex

Master Nightblade
21. Pickpocket someone who shoots target dummies with arrows, and take the arrows they were using (usually iron or steel). Then, give them one of the arrow type you want more of. They will now shoot that type of arrow instead of the one they were shooting before. Simply collect the arrows as they hit the target dummy to get as many arrows as desired.

^^^ This is a good trick to gather up free Ebony/Daedric arrows as they're hard to come by, or if found through merchants they're pricey.

Vex

Master Nightblade
22. If you're having problems finding Word Walls, go to High Hrothgar, and find Arngeir. The first talk selection will be "Have you found a new word of power?". He will place a new quest in the "Misc." category for it. He will only give you one at a time, but he will keep giving them to you until there are no more.

23. You're not supposed to be able to fast travel whilst over-encumbered. However, if you have a horse and you're over-encumbered, mount it, you will then be able to fast travel anywhere you need to go.

24. This trick works on any item within a locked display case. Look directly at the item through the display case glass, then press A to activate the lockpick mini-game. Instead of actually picking the lock, press B to exit the lockpicking screen, then immediately press A. If done correctly, you will take the item from within the case without having to unlock the display case. Note: This is still considered stealing in most cases; thus, try not to get caught.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I got another, try not to bleed in front of Serana because she will stop fighting and try to blood-suck you right away ... lol ... ;)

Jzizzle

Now that's a Knife!
25. Whenever you find Black Briar Mead or Honney Brew Mead, collect the bottles as they have a great sale value to weight ratio!

26. If you ever drink Mead in reality, it doesn't give you a hangover (unless drunk in extraordinary amounts) because if brewed correctly, doesn't have preservatives (the main cause of hangovers).

27. If you are bored of Skyrim (as if), watch the series VIKINGS by the History Channel and it will get you fired up to start that Nord Axe and board character :)

#28. At low levels: if you walk into a room full of bandits who clearly are too much for you; kill one then step back outside. They will not follow and you have time to heal. Re-enter the room, rinse and repeat.

Two Bears

Not everybody seems to be playing along with the numbers, so I am going to start with the last number I saw.

29. Followers, while annoying, make excellent meat shields. Sometimes I even like to hit them myself to keep them from getting complacent.

30. Discrimination is critical when choosing your drink. You wouldn't drink that can of Budweiser just because it was lying around, would you? So go for the alto wine, not the cheap stuff.

31. Always get uncomfortably close to any NPC before engaging in dialogue. Getting into another person's space is a great way to establish dominance.

32. The breast size of any female marital candidate is directly proportional to the number of cheese wheels you can down in 15 seconds. Keep that in mind.

33. Stuck in a fight or can't figure out that puzzle? Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, select, start. You're welcome.

34. Nazir will never stop looking down his nose at you, so don't worry too much about trying to earn Three Dog's respect. He's probably just mad because you killed him rather than charge a bunch of super mutants in suicidal fashion to fix his transmitter. Petty.

35. With Serana as your follower, you can catch her with her top down if you turn around fast enough. Seriously, try it. Totally legit.

26. If you ever drink Mead in reality, it doesn't give you a hangover (unless drunk in extraordinary amounts) because if brewed correctly, doesn't have preservatives
27. If you are bored of Skyrim (as if), watch the series VIKINGS by the History Channel and it will get you fired up to start that Nord Axe and board character :)[/quote

Agreed, on both points