1-handed/shield vs 2-handed - damage output?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Isbiten

So, how big of a difference is it?
Will my killing ability be very gimped if I go 1-handed/shield?

I´m planning on 1-hand + shield just because I´m new to the elder scrolls game and it seems more forgiving...?

VirussxD

Its true that your a bit more vulnerable. But in the end, in my opinion, it doesnt really matter since you can cap off your armor and be virtually equal in terms of defense. And well the One handed weapons obviously swing faster and hit less, while 2h just mows down everything in sight. So, in the end, its whatever you want. Sword/Shield will most likely be easier through the beginning though.

ShadowGambit

i agree with VirussxD. Slash and Board would be easier at the beginning when you don't cap your armor rating yet. Also, bash will stunlock your opponent.

Slower to kill, but safer.

2 handed is nice and does more damage than One Handed, BUT if you are looking for high DPS, then you will want to go Dual Wield. The power attack for Dual wield is a TRIPLE attack, but with still the power attack x2 that is applying for EACH hits.

Nice combo would be Sword Sword or Sword Dagger. Sword dagger is a little faster, but Sword in the off hand would do more damage than the dagger (mostly with + Fortify One Handed). Also, if you use dagger, don't use Ebony or Blade of Woe. They are reportedly bugged and strike at the speed of a sword.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I agree with ShadowGambit and Virus. You can start out with Sword and Shield, and then as later game comes, you can swap your shield for Dual Wield, which is the most damage output. You can always fall back on your Shield if you come up on a strong enemy though.

Isbiten

On a related topic.
Now when Dawnguard is out, isn't it worth it to get Dragon Armor perk for the new weapons?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
On a related topic.
Now when Dawnguard is out, isn't it worth it to get Dragon Armor perk for the new weapons?

Well, that depends on what you mean by "worth it." Because you have access to Steel weapons with base damage equal to Elven, such as the Scimitar, Blades Sword, Skyforge Steel, and Nord Hero weapons, you can spend one perk point in Steel Smithing, easily get your armor to the cap of 567, and bring your weapons damage up quite high using the Scimitar or Skyforge weapons.

If you decide to waste spend 5 extra Smithing perks to get up to Dragon, the only thing you are getting is a bit more damage on your weapon. Depending on how much Smithing/Alchemy/Enchanting you do, you can have a Skyforge Sword doing around 300 damage, and a Dragon Sword doing around 335 damage. I really don't think it's worth it to take the 5 extra perks for a bit of extra damage on your weapon. Because really, as soon as your Sword gets to around 100-150 damage the game gets far too easy.

If you are playing from a min/max perspective, I'd say don't go past Steel. If you want to roleplay, or if you enjoy the thought of Dragon weapons, by all means, please get the Dragon perk and use them. It is simply my opinion, but in this game, anything can work and be fun.

ShadowGambit

As Streets said it, in term of Effectiveness, the difference between Steel Weapon and other weapon is not very important at the end, IF you have high Smithing, Alchemy and Enchanting.

pms00 has a nice video on this, to show that the difference will be just a matter of taste and esthetics more than effectiveness.

Isbiten

Ok!
So then I have already "missed" the boat on min/maxing.
Never mind though, seems you can take on everything in the game anyways.

Now, I still would love some feedback on perks (sometimes stuff look MUCH more useful than they usually are).

I don't really know what to do with perks though.
I want all the best ones, but there still seems to be perk points left over.
Anyone care to share a cheesy one?

These is just the perks that I think seems useful when it comes to fighting.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Skills Builder - IGN

What about the other trees?
Specifically restoration, alchemy, speech and the stealth perks...?

VirussxD

You will want alchemy for sure. To have potions for armor capping and just in general. Stealth, that depends on if your going light or heavy armor. Since i see your going heavy, sneaking will be god awful. Your better off not bothering with it and just tanking, which is what heavy/dual wield setup is basically. Restoration CAN be a good choice though. Since you use no magicka in combat typically, its a nice quick way to pop a heal when out of potions.

2H does more Damage Per Strike, while 1H does more Damage Per Second, all else bing equal. The discrepancy is widest at the beginning, and narrows as you max out your Smithing. Also, a Shield adds a whole lot of perks that are handy in, and of themselves. You can Bash with a 2H effectively, it even does more damage, but protects only against Melee, and can't be used with the left (Shield) side of the Block tree. You can also combine 1H with a spell, or other weapon for a lot more versatility, and Perks to compensate.

In a nutshell, 2H is simpler, but more limited because of it. If you're Smithing, especially Heavy side for the best weapons, the difference in damage is minor. I'd go 1H with a 1st timer, so you can sample all that the system has to offer, and pick out what you like. Block/Bash, Spell/Blade, Dual Wield, even Shieldmage, and other weird combos. That's the thing, 1H can be combined with whatever's in the other hand, 2H can't.

Isbiten

2H does more Damage Per Strike, while 1H does more Damage Per Second, all else bing equal. The discrepancy is widest at the beginning, and narrows as you max out your Smithing. Also, a Shield adds a whole lot of perks that are handy in, and of themselves. You can Bash with a 2H effectively, it even does more damage, but protects only against Melee, and can't be used with the left (Shield) side of the Block tree. You can also combine 1H with a spell, or other weapon for a lot more versatility, and Perks to compensate.

In a nutshell, 2H is simpler, but more limited because of it. If you're Smithing, especially Heavy side for the best weapons, the difference in damage is minor. I'd go 1H with a 1st timer, so you can sample all that the system has to offer, and pick out what you like. Block/Bash, Spell/Blade, Dual Wield, even Shieldmage, and other weird combos. That's the thing, 1H can be combined with whatever's in the other hand, 2H can't.

I read that Bladesman is WORTHLESS.
Armsman is good?

I read that Bladesman is WORTHLESS.
Armsman is good?
Armsman is more damage. Bladesman isn't worthless, but unless you build a character around it, it's generally accepted to be worth <three perk points. I think of the 3, Hack&Slash is the most useful, you can stack it with the Targe of the Blooded, Fire Afterburn, and/or Lingering Poison to counter Regeneration, or keep them dying while you block, or circle around for another charge. A Handaxe of Burning with Hack&Slash(3) is actually a decent amount of Damage over Time (AKA DoT) especially at lower levels. Unfortunately, you have to find one, as none are scripted to be just lying around. All 3 weapon specific perks (or 6 counting the 2H versions) are calculated from the Base Damage, so Iron does the least, and Daedric/Dragonbone the most. (I've heard it's a total of 15 per strike, for H&S.)

ambiiientz

As Streets said it, in term of Effectiveness, the difference between Steel Weapon and other weapon is not very important at the end, IF you have high Smithing, Alchemy and Enchanting.

pms00 has a nice video on this, to show that the difference will be just a matter of taste and esthetics more than effectiveness.

Off Topic

pms00 has some great vids... I wish he was still posting

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! <-Clicky!

Try this, to get a feel for all the basics, and a good menu to choose from. By the time you get about half of these, you should have some idea what kind of build you want, and personal experience with a lot of what this game/system has to offer. Magic, crafting, Weapons, Sneak, Block, and a lot of the most useful perks/combos. Here's one to try, once you get up to it:

Sneak, Sprint forward, and hold down Attack when you start rolling. If you hit, with this build you will get 24 times base damage with a handaxe, +Bleed, and Stagger, if they don't see you coming. (That's 6x2x2 for Backstab, Armsman, and Critical Charge stacked together.) If you switch to a Dagger, and Assassin's Blade (At that point, start over, drop Destruction, and Substitute Illusion) this can get up to 15x2x2=60x base damage, without Crafting.

Isbiten

I'm level 30 by now.
So far every point has gone into Health.
But I'm not sure anymore if I should continue with Health or start putting some into Stamina.
Any recommendations?

VirussxD

Of course you should. Stamina is key with warriors. You dont even need as much health half the time if your power attacks do enough damage.

Do you find yourself running out of stamina in battle? If so, you need more. Do you find yourself getting killed often? If not, you have enough Health. This is pretty much how I decide what to spend my stat point on every level.

VirussxD

There isnt really a "You should have ___ ratio and nothing else" type thing. Its all in the playstyle. Being a sort of tank player for example, keep getting health until your not dying. As Psiberzerker said. once you feel like you dont die very often, stack stamina. Or vice versa. Its all preference

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts