What do you think would improve skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Killing people and buying their house to rent it out like fable and whoever you kill automatically respond another person just like them in a certain period of time like fable :)

kaisersaucy

Xaraan - While you can't put an enchanters table in breezehome, you can add them to at least one other home and I'm assuming others too. I've only gotten homes in Whiterun & Riften...but you can add an enchanters table to your Riften home, you can also have a garden area too. I'm therefore assuming that you may be able to get even larger homes in some of the other major holds & that these would have even more features that you could buy.

I'm going to check that out by seeing what other properties can be bought & exactly what features you can get for them. Hope that helps

Elsabob

A couple of people have mentioned extra features for horses. If you're on the PC, then there's a great mod called "Better Horses". It introduces a horse whistle to call the last horse you rode, gives you saddlebags so your horse can carry stuff, allows you to trample enemies by sprinting at them whilst riding, and you can also give the horses more health/stamina, so they don't die as often. Oh, and you can make the horses "cowardly" so that they automatically run from combat. Only slight annoyance is you can't save whilst riding, or the game has a habit of bugging. But small price to pay I think!

Throwingrocks

I would be thrilled if there was more of an investment in becoming the Arch-Mage or Harbinger. (and whatever the head of the Thieves Guild is, for when you become the head of that guild) I became the Harbinger with a piddly amount of Combat abilities, but a heck of a lot of potions. I became the Arch-Mage almost by accident; I might have had 200 dots spread across all 5 magic abilities. (Probably more like 150. It's been so long that I don't remember if I had started buying up my Conjuration, Illusion and Alteration from the College by that point in time)

With the Companions quests, I didn't realize that I was going to become the Harbinger while relying on a ridiculous amount of Fortify Two-handed potions and Poisons, with a judicious amount of Shouts. It was early in my game (below Level 20) when I started, and thanks to a huge amount of levelling due to raising Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting to 100 each, I was about Level 40 when I finally finished. I had awesome gear (Dragonplate armour and Daedric weapons), but my actual combat stats were below 60, with few perks.

For me, the Arch-Mage quests were ridiculous. I didn't bother with magic at all, just used my warhammer to smash things right until I got to the Eye of Magnus, and had no choice but to use the Staff to finish that quest. Magic? Didn't bother with it. Got a few perks because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but they've not been useful. The only places I used magic were places that were plot-specific; gaining access to Winterhold by casting a spell for the Destruction Elf, casting a Ward for the Old Guy, and using the Staff to attack the Eye. Meaning right now in my game, the Arch-Mage of the College at Winterhold is a Nord that can barely do any magic beyond the Novice spells and who solves most magical problems by smashing them with a warhammer.

That's a bit of an embarrassment for Skyrim, in my opinion.

So to make the next Elder Scrolls game better, I'd make these sorts of quests more of an investment in time and resources. Make it so that becoming the Arch-Mage was one of the pinnacles of the game, not just something you do when you need more XP for your smashy-fighter-hammertime-guy. Also, I'd suggest making it nigh-impossible for a smashy-fighter-hammertime-guy (ie: my character) to finish the quest by doing something like making some enemies immune to physical damage. (I'd also recommend the reverse, in case it's as easy for a guy who answers the question "How do you overcome obstacles?" with "A) Fire. B) Fire. C) Fire. D) All of the Above, plus Fire" finds becoming the Harbinger just as easy to do without swinging a sword at an enemy.)

(amusingly, I'm Level 62 and most of my combat perks I got when doing the Mage quest, since I solved most problems by A) Sniping. B) Smashing. And most of the smashing came from encounters with Dragons... hmm.)

Throwingrocks

More things that I think would improve Skyrim:

1) Less dragons.

Level 62, maxed out Daedric Warhammer with Fire and Shock enchantments, maxed out Two Handed skilll and base Perks. A regular "Dragon" (not Elder, not Blood or Frost or Ancient, just "Dragon") comes out of nowhere to attack me. Boom, one shot, dead dragon. One freaking shot. So I take the Bones and the Scales back to Whiterun for storage, and I've got 100+ bones and 60+ scales. (I've crafted full Dragonplate and Dragonscale at least three times now (all 5 pieces, fully upgraded) for my own character, and full Dragonplate for Lydia at least twice. So 5 full Dragonplate sets and 3 Dragonscale sets, and I've still got 100+ bones and 60+ scales sitting there.) I've got 15 Dragon Souls ready to be used, and am only missing about 6-8 words of power, of the words of power I currently have.

Dragons are a chore for me now. Not a challenge, not a thrill, they're a bore.

2) Acknowledgement in the setting when you're playing a foreigner.

In my main game, I'm a Nord. In my secondary game, I'm an Orc. Other than a few minor "Die Orc!"'s thrown at me when an enemy tries to kill me, so far I don't see any discernible difference between being a Nord and an Orc in the game. My wife plays a High Elf, and has noticed the same thing. (Though she played through the beginnings of the Stormcloaks, and noted that they were a rather racist bunch to her. I might play through the beginnings of the Stormcloaks to see if they're as bad to my Nord.)

There should be far more acknowledgement in the game that you're playing a foreigner than there currently is.

3) No single actor should voice two characters based in the same city.

There are 73 voice actors credited on IMDB for Skyrim. Seriously - 73. Go count them. (It was late, I might have counted one or two twice, or skipped one or two.) So why is it that half of the female voices seem to be voiced by Claudia Christian? I'll admit that being based in Whiterun, I run into her voicing of the Blacksmith quite often, and being the Harbinger, I run into Aela regularly. But the other voice choices are just as bad, even if I can't name their actors off the top of my head. And the Guards... argh. There are what, three voice actors for the male guards, and one voice actress for the female guards?

4) Yes, someone stole my sweetroll. See this Black Soul Gem? That's what I did to that motherbleeper. That kid won't steal anything from anyone ever again.

5) Blood and Guts perks.

I loved Fallout 3. I loved the animation of the violence. The animation of the violence in Skyrim is decidedly G-Rated. Am I going to have to pickpocket everyone in Markarth, then massacre them with one-handed weapons, just to get the XP to buy the perk that allows for decapitations, so I can see some better violence? (who am I kidding? I'm going to pickpocket everyone Markarth and then massacre them anyway. seriously, screw Markarth with a sandstone warhammer. corrupt bastards, every last one of them.)

6) Beartraps for the main character. Also, pocket-mines.

Fallout had Mines. Skyrim has nada. Mines could be planted in the ground for people to blow up. Mines could be planted in someone's pocket so they would blow up. (which was oodles of fun.) Skyrim has... uh. A perk that lets you poison people with pickpocketing. Sucks. So! Let the character make beartraps. (and Sabre Cat traps. And Troll traps. And tramp traps. Seriously, I've got enough gold that I should be able to make a solid gold lute that would get Mikael to sleep with my male character. I want tramp-traps!) Also, let the character put poisons into the inventories of people they have successfully pickpocketed without needing a perk. (keep the perk, just make it easier to do if you have the perk)

7) Bugspray.

This needs to be a Shout, it needs to be the first one the Dragonborn learns, and I need to be able to use it every time the game glitches. My Dragonborn is a lonely Nordic Virgin, and thanks to a glitched Vikas and a missing sabre cat for one of Aela's quests, my Dragonborn has an invisible follower who is only marginally more useful than Lydia! (I've called this invisible follower "Moe", and have surmised that he's a right prick and failed voyeur. All he wants to do is watch my Dragonborn "release the dragon!", except that as long as he's following me, my Dragonborn's little dragon is going to be stuck in his loincloth until further notice.)

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
Some seriously hard to beat bosses, one's that require more than sneak-archery kills or blind tanking. Say, involving multi-magics to back up a private army like The Blades. After all, I spent enough damned time building up their ranks.
As for the OPs opening line about enemies surrendering.. they do. "I cannot best you. Ahhhg, I yield! I yield!"

Yes, enemies say that, but they then proceed to get up and attack you again, forcing you to kill them anyway, usually with one hit

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
More dialogue options. Seriously. I don't care if all three options on this side lead to one result and the other three on that side lead to another, just give me more to choose from so I can get some feeling of roleplaying my character. Something similar to Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate would be nice. As it stands, often it almost comes down to choosing between "yes" or "no".

In certain situations the lack of choice really gets to me, like with the thieves that spawn in the wilderness and demand you hand over your valuables or they'll gut you like a fish. You aren't even given an option to tell the thief he made his last mistake! All you can do is try to intimidate him, which in my game usually results in him responding with "nice try but you don't scare me" (and even if it succeeded, it wouldn't instigate a fight, it would end with him backing off). All I'm left with then is either walking away by saying "I don't have time for this" or choosing "I'd rather die", which is absolutely an antithesis to what a heroic character is supposed to say. Well, I could choose "here's all my gold, just leave me alone" or "do I look like I have lots of gold on me?", but damn it, I want to have the option to say something along the lines of "first I'll dismember you and burn the bleeding stumps so you don't immediately die. Then I'll mount you on a wooden stake and watch you suffer, sipping some alto wine and reading a good book to pass the time. When you've finally died of blood loss or shock, I'll make a sack out of your skin and use it to carry YOUR valuables to the nearest vendor. Then I'll find out where your relatives and friends live and hunt them down, one by one. After their mangled corpses litter the floor of my basement, I'll come back to where I left your body, reanimate your corpse and make it play the lute and sing "Ragnar the Red" to entertain me. How does that sound, good thief?"

I don't even care if the thief only replies with "we'll see about that!" or something equally uninspired, just let me choose a meaningful dialogue option to present to whatever NPC I'm dealing with!

Imperio

I think it would be great if the 3rd person view was just a little bit farther away. I'd like to see my whole character.

you can change it, don't know what format you're on, but on PS3 hold L3 and move R analog stick forwards/backwards. I'm sure there's a way to do it on your format :-)
Mount & Blade was a game that fit on a floppy disc and yet it had horseback fighting. Why doesn't Skyrim? In fact, the entire horse mechanic could be changed. Why can't I have saddlebags with permanent storage? This way, I don't have to have a follower be a pack mule ... I can have an actual pack mule. And why can't I shoot my bow from horseback? Or swing a mace? Or just run someone over?

should be able to collect ingredients while on horseback too! pain in the ass having to get off every time, I don't even bother with horses for all of these reasons :-/

Imperio

HOTKEYS!!!!!!!!! the d-pad on consoles is fairly redundant, a waste of buttons :-/ I know you can use the favourites but it's annoying and when you switch weapons and there's a huge delay, which can be fatal in the middle of combat :-/ and forget the 'equiping stuff to left/right hand' thing, I wanna be able to use a healing spell without having to unequip my shield every time, especially with the above-mentioned delay! shoud be able to change appearance midgame, like a haircut or something. and I wanna remove quests from the journal if I don't wanna do them, otherwise it gets very clogged up with unwanted quests. I'm gonna stop moaning now, 'tis a good game :-)

Panthera

Don Gato
Here's my list:

- A lot of people mention capes... I agree but longer capes like to the ankles.

- Instant kill if you hit the guy in the head with arrow or some other weapon. Except for undead... I'm not bothered if skeleton walks around with arrow in inside of his skull or even walking without it.

- I agree on morality also. And I would add if you help certain faction you and your race would be treated better or worse if you do something bad.

- I would like more animals... like owls sitting on branch looking at you while you travel trough forest.

- Being able to have pet animals like bears, wolves, sabercats, maybe even hawk, owls... dragons! ^^

- Carrying limit would be set on size of items rather than on weight. (I mean having 20 bottles in your inventory and fighting with enemy its absurd! It's like robing liquor store and having 20 bottles of brandy and fighting with security at the same time!)

- Somebody said longer quests... I agree, but I would add also... like after finishing all the faction quests your status would depend on your behavior in faction and decisions you made while doing some faction quest.

- I miss throwing stars and knifes from morrowind.

- I would add 3 martial arts trees. One for warrior classes, one for stealth classes and one for mage classes (think of being able to add perk for having fire fists or ice claws in hand to hand combat).

- When being Vampire or Werewolf. To be more stronger when in human form werewolf also to have more stamina and to regenerate health and stamina faster... that also goes for vampires at night.

- Spells to be stronger when you lvl magic. For example when your spell does 10 dmg at beginning later would do more damage as you get stronger at the same magica cost.

...I think that is it for now. :D

Imperio

you can change it, don't know what format you're on, but on PS3 hold L3 and move R analog stick forwards/backwards. I'm sure there's a way to do it on your format :-)

sorry I got it the wrong way round, you hold R3 etc :-)

should be able to collect ingredients while on horseback too! pain in the ass having to get off every time, I don't even bother with horses for all of these reasons :-/

agga

longer quests, more unique items, more spells, fleshed out things you can do with marriage, and also more stuff to do with money. like wouldn't it be cool to start your own business and hire people.

for me personally I'd like unarmed to have more stuff or at least be classified as one handed and have its own special effect under it. like how swords have more crit or axes have bleediing damage, they should have a stamina damage on hit for unarmed.

I can always dream.
yes i agree friend but while u have the love of gold and profit and some idjut that believes u can produce an rpg in 12 month's, that's all it will ever be..... i sugest u involve ya self in mods an makin the game your way enjoy..

agga

The ability to open new Dark Brotherhood sanctuaries in the cities.
there are two in game as is[Rork- DawnRork- Dawn] but depending on the format oops i swore xbox an ps3 see once if u wanted the full game u got it on pc but now its all made for, out of date little box's that wish they had 16 gig of memory to run with like the latest upgrade i made for sky-rim to find it was a waste, till i found the mod from tyranus, the champ lol
even though i still have to tell game to run off Video card not drivers and have to turn off all 360 bits in game so even i got ripped i payed for pc and basicilly got xbox version not good.
believe me there will be a mod later biult by some one if u have a pc cause the xbox idea that steam has in works is gonna screw up communities cause of that greed problems so hurry

agga

I think it would be great if the 3rd person view was just a little bit farther away. I'd like to see my whole character.
ajust your resilution on ya tele on buy a bigger one
can't help with ps3 but i know xbox has issues with it but u can fix it in default
on pc its in options before u start game if pc i reckomend the 4 gig mod as well hope that helps

agga

2 things first off capes, capes make the look of your character sick as! And then fishing :)
this is the prob if u want it on an xbox u gotta relize a few things:
#1 i have 16 gig of ram how much does an xbox have 1 maybe 2 i have two video cards and a sound card
none of this is on board except it's conected too it lol
thus u have the answer as to why thes thing are not included in game.
see i always though microsoft payed for drivers etc from companies but actually it's the other way around,
they pay microsoft for putting it on the latest version. and the cape issue has been around since not long after the release of Oblivion so u do have to ask your self was bethesda really listening to it's fans????

agga

That is the most altruistic outlook i've seen anyone post about an rpg videogame. Bravo sir!
would'nt it bee great if they allowed the "suviving' atacker the chioce to jion u as a follower????
cause talk about stupid i can't understand why they let u win the girls heart in riverwood then allow u to take him away on adventures that might get him killed so as poor ferandal never gets his true love in the end
i always leave him cause i have a heart too lol.
see if the speech aspect was included u could chat up or piss off npc to your own desieres .
Craftable and enchantable arrows
there are if u look in t5he mods section they work but there is an annoying dong everytime they miss but they work fine on pc i have ran with istall 4 time no issues works well thx too the moders again

agga

1. Price Discussions. We should be able to render and argue about our item prices we are selling, instead of selling them at, what? 20% of what they are actually valued at?
2. More stabilized leveling system. There should be no reason that someone can get 100 smithing off of iron daggers in just 1 hour. The price it took me was 8.5k gold and less than 60 minutes T.T Stupid friend talked me into doing it. Honestly, it should have been like 300k gold and 10k iron daggers.
3. Capes. I've seen them on NPCs, but non acquirable sadly.
4. The ability to start your own faction/guild. Maybe even let you choose where you want to setup camp/base. Then, depending on what resources you gather, you can upgrade that spot. Possibly even create towns? This would literally make this the most epic game till 2017 ;) Oh! Plus the ability to recruit/persuade people to join your faction/guild. Maybe even bandits?
5. The ability to partially raise a family. I think it would be cool to have a kid in Skyrim. Maybe you can do quests with him like take him hunting and stuff... like in Red Dead Redemption!
6. The ability to max out your character. (Max level is not 81)
7. An arena. I think it would be cool to fight gladiator style against herds of mammoths, armies of giants, or bare hand, no armor man against beasts! Possibly add a ranking system for this? Or some sort of reward system? Winners/survivors gain points to use at a special shop that provides unrealistic weapons/armor? :D
8. Last but not least, the ability to visit the Dwarves somehow! I really have found the Dwemer to be the most fascinating feature of the game! I do nothing but gawk to their creations and are obsessed with their books and history.
the problem here is u need to let ppl know the formats u are on [xbox,ps3,PC] so i don't look like an idiot tryin to answer questions..... if u get to nightingales u get a cape on that gear and i have found heaps of mages robes with them cape thing on em or kill farengar in whiterun an use his lol

agga

the problem here is u need to let ppl know the formats u are on [xbox,ps3,PC] so i don't look like an idiot tryin to answer questions..... if u get to nightingales u get a cape on that gear and i have found heaps of mages robes with them cape thing on em or kill farengar in whiterun an use his lol
the prob with rushing to 100 in smithing is if u are at say legendary and u get to 100 u cant upgrade any further i am at level forty in game and i have still legendary fur it won't go to epic etc.
the game was diesgned that u pick 5 major skills and stick with it [silly] i know,
and it give u the feeling that u were only supposed to stick with one class not all.
not sure your experiance here but the biggest quierry with oblivion was the rebiulding of Kavatch
it was done but it goes to show that whats said isn't what actually happens
and even though they say they listen to the fans thats in the hope u will forget about it,
and once they have your cash they adopt the attitude that who cares sad but that the 21st century stuck in the 80's..........
player.modav heavyarmor 3675000,000 if it makes u happy lol ok thats a bit overboard, i made it go to 200 but it screws with the scripting and leveling goes up in increments of 11 in game per level[pc only]
I agree totally with #7...... the first thing always in IV was the arena everytime lol
#8 its a fantasy game sorry si-fi as well if theres bots theres a multitude of, d.l.c from modders i have some strange weapons frm giant battle axes to swords frm F.Fantsy, File front friend.
as to the dwarves idea i reckon thats were it should of stayed like the first i just don't get the concept here of the drones. thum's are usless on them they aren't logical, and there as annoying as necros that are tougher than bandits even though they have no armor ratiang and that damn ward spell yeah it's gonna stop my Wuulrand axe yeaah i kept it .
i sure hope u have pc copy cause u will be more satisfyed and most of the probs are being fixed