PS3 What are your thoughts about a Nord using magic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
So, after my complete reset and cleanout of my glitched game and saves, I am about to start over from scratch with a freshly uploaded game and downloaded DLCs this evening.

Having lost my favorite mage/warrior Den Moria I've decided to work on a new character, a female Nord knockout by the name of Ingin Thorn (illegitimate child of Sibbi Blackbriar).

While I know I'll be using her in my standard warrior mode for a nord (1 or 2 handed with a little archery) and probably light armor (maybe even vampirism at some point as I'm designing her to be drop dead gorgeous), I would also like her to use magic (conjuration & destrution like Den?), but am wondering if that is even a good thing to do with a Nord given their penchant for magic user hating.

Thoughts anyone on how to RP this in? Ingin was raised in Helgen by her mother, who never acknowledged her to Sibbi but told her who her father was so she is a good huntress and knows some alchemy as well. How to work in Magic Use.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
So, after my complete reset and cleanout of my glitched game and saves, I am about to start over from scratch with a freshly uploaded game and downloaded DLCs this evening.

Having lost my favorite mage/warrior Den Moria I've decided to work on a new character, a female Nord knockout by the name of Ingin Thorn (illegitimate child of Sibbi Blackbriar).

While I know I'll be using her in my standard warrior mode for a nord (1 or 2 handed with a little archery) and probably light armor (maybe even vampirism at some point as I'm designing her to be drop dead gorgeous), I would also like her to use magic (conjuration & destrution like Den?), but am wondering if that is even a good thing to do with a Nord given their penchant for magic user hating.

Thoughts anyone on how to RP this in? Ingin was raised in Helgen by her mother, who never acknowledged her to Sibbi but told her who her father was so she is a good huntress and knows some alchemy as well. How to work in Magic Use.
My Lich Character Konahrik is a Nord and He Uses Magic Almost Exclusivly

Daelon DuLac

Well, he is a Lich so he must have been around a long time. I understand that Nords didn't have such a problem with magic & magic users in the past. How would you justify it?

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...

Well, he is a Lich so he must have been around a long time. I understand that Nords didn't have such a problem with magic & magic users in the past. How would you justify it?
No Not Really I have set his Back Story 2 He was the Reincarnation of the Dragon Priest with the Same Name so Really he is Only 31 Years Old, A Good Explanation for How he became so Powerful in such a Short Time as he was not Gaining any Power he was just regaining the Power from his Past Existance that he already possessed sort of Like The Nerevarine, he was the Reinacarnation of Indoril Nerevar and Is it true that The COC who became Sheogorath was the Reincarnation Of Peleinal Whitestrake not sure about that one.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
My thoughts are that plenty of Nords have used magic against me in my playthroughs, so it seems fair game to me. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Hell, even merchants in Skyrim know a spell here and there, why would a Nord abstain? Makes no sense to me. Ulfric killed a guy with a shout, but it's not honorable for a Nord to use a Fireball? Seems really stupid to me.

Daelon DuLac

My thoughts are that plenty of Nords have used magic against me in my playthroughs, so it seems fair game to me. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Hell, even merchants in Skyrim know a spell here and there, why would a Nord abstain? Makes no sense to me. Ulfric killed a guy with a shout, but it's not honorable for a Nord to use a Fireball? Seems really stupid to me.
Oh, I agree completely with you, but I'm trying to establish a backstory, etc... based on what I've heard during the course of the game.

LotusEater

Oh, I agree completely with you, but I'm trying to establish a backstory, etc... based on what I've heard during the course of the game.

Oh right... backstories... carry on... ;)

Lucid

This is something I've given thought to recently, having created my first Nord character this weekend. I landed here, but only because it fits my RP:

Magic: She will practice Restoration magic after meeting Danica Pure-Spring, feeling it is a school that should be embraced by Nords (given their warring natures). At later levels she will also take up the Illusion school. NO Destruction, Conjuration or Enchanting, though she will use beneficial enchanted gear that she finds. I'm not sure where's she'll land on Alteration.

She will see the value in Alchemy but have a mistrust of potions she doesn't mix herself, so she will make her own restorative potions. Probably low level since I don't intend to do many perks there either. No poisons.

I think that magic is probably practiced by Nords more than is acknowledged. Some examples off the top of my head are Onmund at the College at Winterhold (against his family wishes), and Jouane in Rorikstead training the little girl in magic. I'll bet those scenes play out on the DL in communities throughout Skyrim.

I think a young Nord exposed to magic would have an curiosity about it, and it would be easy enough to spin up a backstory for it. Her family story sounds like she may have spent a lot of time alone while her mother worked, leaving a lot of time to spend with the local mage or healer (or even the Thalmor creeping around Helgen)

Daelon DuLac

This is something I've given thought to recently, having created my first Nord character this weekend. I landed here, but only because it fits my RP:

Magic: She will practice Restoration magic after meeting Danica Pure-Spring, feeling it is a school that should be embraced by Nords (given their warring natures). At later levels she will also take up the Illusion school. NO Destruction, Conjuration or Enchanting, though she will use beneficial enchanted gear that she finds. I'm not sure where's she'll land on Alteration.

She will see the value in Alchemy but have a mistrust of potions she doesn't mix herself, so she will make her own restorative potions. Probably low level since I don't intend to do many perks there either. No poisons.

I think that magic is probably practiced by Nords more than is acknowledged. Some examples off the top of my head are Onmund at the College at Winterhold (against his family wishes), and Jouane in Rorikstead training the little girl in magic. I'll bet those scenes play out on the DL in communities throughout Skyrim.

I think a young Nord exposed to magic would have an curiosity about it, and it would be easy enough to spin up a backstory for it. Her family story sounds like she may have spent a lot of time alone while her mother worked, leaving a lot of time to spend with the local mage or healer (or even the Thalmor creeping around Helgen)
I like that. She could also be rather secretive about her magic (except when she attends the college, of course), reserving it for her times when she is out adventuring and not in towns or cities where she may be. Thank you! :)

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
I'm playing a nord (vampire lord) heavy armor mage this playthrough :) Conjuration is her main focus but right now still trying to level restoration to get necromage perk >.> What's more comfortable than having an army of the undead and just summon a bow or swords on a whim and slice through your foes like butter. I'd just ask first how you see your character developing. Does she embrace the more shadow-y side as her ancestry (thieves/assassins), then Illusion (or as you said, vampirism) would help in supporting your mage class. Light armor is a good choice as well.

Do you want to overpower yourself using game mechanics to break any and all possible ways of being hurt? lol Or do you want to semi play it fairly :p (because I'm working on basically becoming 'immortal' but I'm also doing that as a style of roleplay. Kira (my mage this playthrough, will post pics later) is the prodigy of a long deceased god. Since she has no rightful claim to any domains or powers as Aedra and Daedra do, she none-the-less desires to take domains for herself. TES Lore wise, might RP her as a new Daedric Prince but that's probably as far as she'll get, we'll see.

Daelon DuLac

Interesting questions. I certainly intend to play her darker, but I do not think she'll be involved with necromancy (even as a vampire). While I luv conjured weapons, antronachs and even the occassional dremora, but I just can't get in to the dead.

You've given me much to think on. :)

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I launched a Nord right after I retired my Breton. The difference was profound! But I was determined to make my Nord powerful in destruction magic. She was pretty strong by about level 40. I would call it a challenge, but one that motivates, rather than defeats.

LotusEater

I launched a Nord right after I retired my Breton. The difference was profound! But I was determined to make my Nord powerful in destruction magic. She was pretty strong by about level 40. I would call it a challenge, but one that motivates, rather than defeats.

Odd. I've played a number of different races many different times and I've never detected a major difference in playing whatever type of build I've wanted. I've switched from Breton to Nord and back again and never really noticed a profound difference. Care to elaborate? Small early game differences that can be compensated for but that's about it as far as I can tell.

In fact, Breton to Nord was one of the smoothest transitions I've ever made. :confused:

Adam Warlock

If she grew up in Helgen , she probably knew the Priestess of Arkay who appears in the opening sequence.

Adam Warlock

If she grew up in Helgen , she probably knew the Priestess of Arkay who appears in the opening sequence.
How about this?

Injin grows up with respect for Restoration because of the Priestess.
She`s sent on a go-and-get mission to Wuunferth the Unliving and hears him say " Strength and steel are well and good , but magic is the true power in this world . "
Then she returns to see her entire village destroyed by a dragon who seems impervious to physical attacks.

Daelon DuLac

How about this?

She`s sent on a go-and-get mission to Wuunferth the Unliving and hears him say " Strength and steel are well and good , but magic is the true power in this world . "
Then she returns to see her entire village destroyed by a dragon who seems impervious to physical attacks.
I like that! Now I've got to figure out how to work Restoration in to her repertoir since she really doesn't care about other people, only herself most of the time, although... she does take issue with the undead... hm...

Adam Warlock

How about this?

I like that! Now I've got to figure out how to work Restoration in to her repertoir since she really doesn't care about other people, only herself most of the time, although... she does take issue with the undead... hm...
Necromage perk , especially if she`s going vamp.

Daelon DuLac

How about this?

Necromage perk , especially if she`s going vamp.
I agree, but I just can't get in to all the necromancy. To much moaning. She does like moaning, but just in another way!

I think Ingin should be OK with using destruction spells as they would compliment her Nord nature. A bit of a simplified view I know, but just an idea.
My character, Kalidor Steinbrecher (at present a Bounty Hunter), is opposed to magic and enchanted weapons - cowards tools - and that has made for some interesting battles that were easier on my first, non-RP, playthrough with an Argonian named Waldrecht who used every spell, sword and armour he could find to complete every single quest and misc event in Skyrim!