What do you spend your gold on?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BG5150

I'm level 40 and carrying about 60k gold.

What do you spend your gold on? I'm at a loss.

Wildroses

Crafting ingredients mostly. Mining and hunting pelts? Dragging empty soul gems around and casting soul trap at each fight? Only using alchemy ingredients you harvest yourself? Pfft, who has the time and patience for that! Ever since the Legendary patch, suddenly I buy a lot more crafting materials than I used to. I won't use exploits or glitches and find crafting slightly more interesting than spamming spells like detect life or harmony, so crafting is a good way for me to get more precious level ups and perk points.

Also on building homesteads. Building a homestead between levels 10-20 is a real money drainer.

And food as I made a roleplay rule that I have to make provisions for any family, housecarls, servants and animals I acquire.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Soul gems, properties (especially Hearthfire building) and gifts for the kids. Oh! And horses, cows, chickens and bards (I'm always killing them off or they're getting killed one way or another). :) I'm walking around with 160K at this point.

Almost forgot! Trainers, trainers, trainers!

Annageckos

I'm trying to hit 1 million septims right now. I have spent gold on building my homes and upgrading them. Crafting, mostly alchemy and enchanting. Also iron ore to turn to gold. And trainers when I need it. If I see an item I like I'll buy it, but there really isn't much to buy later in the game.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm trying to hit 1 million septims right now. I have spent gold on building my homes and upgrading them. Crafting, mostly alchemy and enchanting. Also iron ore to turn to gold. And trainers when I need it. If I see an item I like I'll buy it, but there really isn't much to buy later in the game.
Too bad you can't buy people. A little slave labor never hurt anybody. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Training
Proudspire Manor
Upgrading Proudspire Manor
Training
Expensive Spell Tomes
Training
Unearthed Quest

Then if I have time, I'll squeeze in some training

Rimfaxe96

Houses and properties. Sometimes horses, rarely carriages.

Lucid

Training, homes and decor, soul gems, ale.

I usually carry less than 2k and stash the rest in my houses. I spread the cash and jewel hoard pretty equally across the houses, and keep an extra set of kick-ass armor and weapons in each, as part of my "if I need to change my identity and leave Skyrim in a hurry" plan.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Too bad you can't buy people. A little slave labor never hurt anybody. :)

Slave labor = Lydia (no gold wasted)

She makes a fine pack-mule whenever I need one... ;)

Wildroses

I give thousands away each year to charities, homeless people and orphanages... BHahahaha haaaa!!!

:p

I have to say that's one thing that really bothers me about Skyrim. Here I am with hundreds of thousands of septims in my pockets I'll never ever use, and when I decide to share my good fortune with the less fortunate I say: "Here. Have A gold piece."

Morgan

I have a mod called "Purchasable Jarrin Root" which adds jarrin root to the occasional rare ingredient alchemists can sell. However, in early game with low speech, it's close to 20k, and even perked out still 5-7k. Really turns that "too much gold" problem around if you do poison :sadface:

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Wow so at level 33 i must be doing something wrong only having 4000

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Actually I have to agree there... I tried saving and making money ASAP on my Elenwen build so icould buy the solitude manor and I was Lv25 by the time I got that much. And that was with alchemy and enchanting quite frequently...

BG5150

I really haven't spent much money. Just on some ores and health potions. And the house in Whiterun & Riften and some decorations.

I check most dead bodies and urns, so little by little it adds up over time.

I have about $50k now after the Riften purchase.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I usually blow my first 5k on Breezehome, and then gather enough gold to purchase land and build Lakeview Manor. Then, when I have built up a tidy sum, I just buy anything I want.
Except for armour and weapons. I make them myself. Sometimes it depends on my character. To buy soul gems, or trap them myself?

My new character though I am trying it a little different. Only looting and carrying what seems reasonable IRL (what only fits in a satchel). Which means gems and jewellery. Maybe one or two pieces of enchanted armour, depends if I have a follower or not. So building up money takes a little while longer.