• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Another small thing that might help a lot of people with getting lost outside. Scan the horizon in the direction you are heading often. A lot of times it's a lot easier to see the path up a mountain from a distance.

As far as the map goes, I like it just the way it is. I'd get bored to death if every road was mapped. If I want to be shown exactly how to get somewhere, I'll play Fable 2. :)

Dimhollow Crypt and Highpoint Tower have been known to give me fits.
dimhollow crypt!! thats the name of that place! yea that area is impossible to find, not sure how they ever expected you to get there..

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
you can if you use console commands to unlock the map, which is what i do when i create a character cause i hate roaming around for hours finding nothing but hills trying to reach my destination.. that pl*** makes for a very frustrating and boring game.
i can reach high hrathgar if and when i ever find the path but its finding that path which makes this area so difficult to locate..

You just had to bring up High Hrothgar didn't you?

I just walked those steps THREE TIMES the other night trying to activate all those tablets and it never worked. Grrrrrrr double grrrrrrrrr.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
you can if you use console commands to unlock the map, which is what i do when i create a character cause i hate roaming around for hours finding nothing but hills trying to reach my destination.. that pl*** makes for a very frustrating and boring game.
i can reach high hrathgar if and when i ever find the path but its finding that path which makes this area so difficult to locate..

I just walked those steps THREE TIMES the other night trying to activate all those tablets and it never worked. Grrrrrrr double grrrrrrrrr.
what tablets?

Clairvoyance. While it's far from perfect, it does have it's uses. Though I notice if you have to "Slow-Travel" to a particularly distant location, using clairvoyance tends to mess up your bearings instead of actually helping you.

But still, Clairvoyance is pretty much the only reason why I incorporated magic elements to my Kleptomaniac Assassin. Namely, I don't use magic for any reason other than to know where I'm going. LOL

sticky runes

I still get lost looking for Bleakfalls Barrow.

And any location that is around that massive cliff near Solitude. And there are quite a few caves over there, and hardly any clear paths to them. The arrow is telling me to go straight ahead, but there is a huge f#cking cliff right there, and while dropping down is easy enough, I can't help but wonder how I'm supposed to get there otherwise. Plus I use followers a lot, and they don't like going down cliffs over mountains, so I normally end up losing them.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Clairvoyance. While it's far from perfect, it does have it's uses. Though I notice if you have to "Slow-Travel" to a particularly distant location, using clairvoyance tends to mess up your bearings instead of actually helping you.

But still, Clairvoyance is pretty much the only reason why I incorporated magic elements to my Kleptomaniac Assassin. Namely, I don't use magic for any reason other than to know where I'm going. LOL
i used to be the same way, i absolutely NEVER used magic under any circumstances.. then after years of doing every last weapon wielding build possible i decided to try a mage out of pure boredom and surprisingly they're really fun to play, only downside is they're far less powerful than most weapon wielding builds and require much more patience to progress but if you enjoy this game you owe it to yourself to try out a mage at least once, it surprised me. ;)

i used to be the same way, i absolutely NEVER used magic under any circumstances.. then after years of doing every last weapon wielding build possible i decided to try a mage out of pure boredom and surprisingly they're really fun to play, only downside is they're far less powerful than most weapon wielding builds and require much more patience to progress but if you enjoy this game you owe it to yourself to try out a mage at least once, it surprised me. ;)

Say my (User)Name. LOL. I'm actually playing as a stealth-based person this time since I've played way too many runs as a magic-wielding character across different RPGs. Besides, I'm gathering a lot of money stealth pickpocketing every NPCs I encounter so the way I see it, playing as an assassin/thief is a good way to finish this game the first time around. I'll definitely reset my persk along the way though to try Warrior and Mage based abilites.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

Say my (User)Name. LOL. I'm actually playing as a stealth-based person this time since I've played way too many runs as a magic-wielding character across different RPGs. Besides, I'm gathering a lot of money stealth pickpocketing every NPCs I encounter so the way I see it, playing as an assassin/thief is a good way to finish this game the first time around. I'll definitely reset my persk along the way though to try Warrior and Mage based abilites.
stealth builds are crazy effective in this game, i've completed the entire story mode and half the side quests on assassin characters without dying one time by investing solely in the sneak skill, max it high enough and you can literally stand right in an enemies face and them still not see you, its insane! lol

JClarke1953

Dawnguard DLC -- Forgotten Vale ..... I'd just like to forget it :rolleyes:

Forgotten Vale is easier than it looks really. I used to get hung up on Glacial Crevice alot because I though there was only one way out. Turns out not to be true apparently. Also the realization that the Wayshrines are optional helped a lot too. First few times I went there I mistakenly thought they were necessary to access areas.

Ever since I stopped fast-traveling (about 6 builds ago), I rarely get lost anymore. One thing that helped me a lot was the realization that locked doors are optional in almost all areas. This helped me differentiate between THEE path and optional loot areas.

Also in Forgotten Vale and beyond, there are various Paragon's to collect from Giant being's. they act as "Port Key's" in a certain area.

And, like it was mentioned above, you cannot fast travel to any point in Skyrim or Solstheim unless you've walked to it.

Chadonraz

Also in Forgotten Vale and beyond, there are various Paragon's to collect from Giant being's. they act as "Port Key's" in a certain area.

And, like it was mentioned above, you cannot fast travel to any point in Skyrim or Solstheim unless you've walked to it.

There is one exception to the fast travel rule: Shearpoint. I have no idea why, but the first time a Whiterun Guard has seen a dragon fly right over the city, towards Shearpoint by the looks of it, the location (if I haven't already found it) gets a white map marker.

Every. Single. Time.

On this character, after getting the marker from a guard, I actually tested if I could fast travel there despite never having been there before. It worked. o_O

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Is something supposed to happen when you activate them? Nothing ever did, so I just ignore them now. It really doesn't seem to make any difference if I activate them or not, it's just more reading. :)

Daelon DuLac

Chadonraz

Okay. It's never happened for me. Besides, what a pointless thing, unless you're really, really in to killing defenseless animals. :)

I wouldn't say that. It was wonderful being able to quest without having to kill spiders/wolves/bears every five seconds. :D

Kaelbu

I still get lost in Windelm and a little in Solitude. Also, all the terrain next to and west of Solitude is really hard to maneuver through for me. But for some reason, with almost every. single. play through... Alftand Glacial Ruins. It's always a bit confusing finding them, and once I'm in, it's hard for me to find the entrance to the next area (Alftand Cathedral I think?). Last play through, I struggled less, but I've gotten lost so many times there.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Windhelm I find myself lost sometimes but I usually find myself lost in Dwemer ruins the most.

LotusEater

The little shrine like thingys on the way up are etched. If you read all ten of them you are supposed to be granted this:

Mine didn't work though fsm.
Okay. It's never happened for me. Besides, what a pointless thing, unless you're really, really in to killing defenseless animals. :)

Well, actually it's not really pointless at all. It's not at all about killing defenseless animals and more about being able to walk to quest targets without fighting animals every 30 seconds. I don't use fast-travel so once in a while it would be nice to not go on alert every time I hear a bear growl. Works on trolls, spiders, etc. It would be a nice luxury once in a while and save me some time if I'm crunched.

LotusEater

Dawnguard DLC -- Forgotten Vale ..... I'd just like to forget it :rolleyes:

Forgotten Vale is easier than it looks really. I used to get hung up on Glacial Crevice alot because I though there was only one way out. Turns out not to be true apparently. Also the realization that the Wayshrines are optional helped a lot too. First few times I went there I mistakenly thought they were necessary to access areas.

Ever since I stopped fast-traveling (about 6 builds ago), I rarely get lost anymore. One thing that helped me a lot was the realization that locked doors are optional in almost all areas. This helped me differentiate between THEE path and optional loot areas.

Ya. I really only care about the one that grants me Auriel's Shield.

Daelon DuLac

The little shrine like thingys on the way up are etched. If you read all ten of them you are supposed to be granted this:

Mine didn't work though fsm.

Well, actually it's not really pointless at all. It's not at all about killing defenseless animals and more about being able to walk to quest targets without fighting animals every 30 seconds. I don't use fast-travel so once in a while it would be nice to not go on alert every time I hear a bear growl. Works on trolls, spiders, etc. It would be a nice luxury once in a while and save me some time if I'm crunched.
True. But somehow I enjoy all those encounters, although I'm not really sure why wolves & bears attack me all the time (they have to know they don't stand a chance) - trolls & spiders maybe - but other mammals? By the way, have I mentioned - I HATE SKEEVERS!

LotusEater

True. But somehow I enjoy all those encounters, although I'm not really sure why wolves & bears attack me all the time (they have to know they don't stand a chance) - trolls & spiders maybe - but other mammals? By the way, have I mentioned - I HATE SKEEVERS!

I enjoy killing animals as much as the next guy but as I said, it's nice to take a break once in a while. It also nullifies the Animal Allegiance effect from spriggans which would come in handy. I hate having to kill foxes and deer that are being controlled to attack me.

Daelon DuLac

I enjoy killing animals as much as the next guy but as I said, it's nice to take a break once in a while. It also nullifies the Animal Allegiance effect from spriggans which would come in handy. I hate having to kill foxes and deer that are being controlled to attack me.
It's weird, but in my game, it seems like only the bears, skeevers and spiders ever attack at the Spriggans command. The deer, elk, bunnies and foxes show as enemies but just stand there and stare at me. They even run away occassionally. Weird. On my first playthrough I had a fox & an elk attack, but not since.