Full inventory... No storage.. Where do yu put your goodies?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ketatrypt

after shelving skyrim for over a half year I started playing last night..

Before I bought the whiterun house or used a dresser in the companions guild to store all my goodies until I bought the house, but I havn't done ither yet, and my inventory is full..

I was gonna just stash it in that trunk that's in front of Farengar's workbench, but when I opened it, a third of the stuff was red. (not stolen but just... red font) so I have a feeling it could get lost if I left it there..

Maybe I shall try leaving it in that riverwood house but thats gonna be a PITA..

So what did you do with your goodies before you owned any properties?

Use a follower if the amounts are still manageable. Or join the College and use your room

ketatrypt

I didnt think of giving it to lydia actually.. I guess she could work as storage..

Normally red things dont bother me seems I have quite sticky fingers.. But when a bunch of things were red that I kno I didn't steal (dragon bones from the first dragon for example)

I don't kno what it means but im gonna get the house in WhiteRun ASAP.. lol i have 5000 gold worth random stuff ive collected, and don't wanna sell.. would hate to loose it :p

ketatrypt

so further messing about ive found its not just my items that are like this. It seems thers a lot of items in houses etc that are not red, and others are. I looked it up and it seems to be some sort of glitch..

O well ill just continue on.. It sucks as it does really mess with the interface but its not game breaking and ive cleared a couple dungeons already and would hate to have to do it all over again just to sort out the issue..

But thanks!

BTW if any mods see this, I guess ths can be moved to help? at first i thought it was part of the game but now realize otherwise! Thanks again!

Nighthiker77

Use the barrels outside of warmaidens.

If you put something in an owned container, it is just like giving it to the owner. Then if the value is above a certain amount based on your relationship rank with the owner, it will be red.

Another option is to get a mammoth tusk and marry Ysolda. Her house is small and basic, but more than adequate.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Kill the Anise below Bleak Falls Barrow, and use her shack.. I have been told that your gear will not disappear from there.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Use the barrels outside of warmaidens.
If you do this you have to make sure you are in Whiterun and near Warmaidens no less than once every 2 weeks. That should be pretty easy to do since most players drop by Whiterun during normal gameplay within that period of time with Whiterun being in the middle of Skyrim and having so many conveniences, but if you fail to do so the barrels will respawn their contents and you'll lose everything you stored in them.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I took Dagmar's advice and just used one of the barrels outside of War Maiden's in Whiterun. Since I kept coming back to it, it kept renewing and it just stayed there untouched. Great tip! Thanks. Of course I was a little paranoid at first, but I got to the point that I started keeping everything in them for a while. Since there's actually 4 of them, I could even organize. Apparently the folks in Whiterun are not very curious. You'd think, at least, that the kids would be. :)

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I took Dagmar's advice and just used one of the barrels outside of War Maiden's in Whiterun. Since I kept coming back to it, it kept renewing and it just stayed there untouched. Great tip! Thanks. Of course I was a little paranoid at first, but I got to the point that I started keeping everything in them for a while. Since there's actually 4 of them, I could even organize. Apparently the folks in Whiterun are not very curious. You'd think, at least, that the kids would be. :)
they think you just rummaging through the trash

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
In general this is how the storage system in Skyrim works:

1. Certain types of containers will always respawn their contents. The period of time that has to elapse for them to do so varies and if you visit their cell (defined area around them) the countdown timer for them will reset. These include barrels, chests, knapsacks, sacks, satchels and urns.

2. Certain types of containers don't respawn their contents. Thes include cupboards, dressers, end tables, and wardrobes.

3. To add some confusion there are some custom coded containers that break these rules. For example the chests in the Thieves Guild Cistern are safe, as are the chests and sacks in Delphine's secret room in the Sleeping Giant Inn.

4. Even when containers are coded to respawn, there is an overriding feature that may be coded for the entire area so that nothing resets in the area cell. The most obvious of these areas are the interiors of player bought houses but there are others.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I just don't store things until I buy a place to put it, otherwise I just sell them

ketatrypt

In general this is how the storage system in Skyrim works:

1. Certain types of containers will always respawn their contents. The period of time that has to elapse for them to do so varies and if you visit their cell (defined area around them) the countdown timer for them will reset. These include barrels, chests, knapsacks, sacks, satchels and urns.

2. Certain types of containers don't respawn their contents. Thes include cupboards, dressers, end tables, and wardrobes.

3. To add some confusion there are some custom coded containers that break these rules. For example the chests in the Thieves Guild Cistern are safe, as are the chests and sacks in Delphine's secret room in the Sleeping Giant Inn.

4. Even when containers are coded to respawn, there is an overriding feature that may be coded for the entire area so that nothing resets in the area cell. The most obvious of these areas are the interiors of player bought houses but there are others.

Thank you for the very specific post ! you should be an editor for the wiki! cause I checked there and it was not half as clear as you put it!

But anyway ive been messing with it more and the more I see it the more it bugs me.. Im gonna just re-install the game, and start afresh seems I was only 5-6 hrs into the game.. no big deal i guess.. I would rather have a working thievery mechanic then to just ignore it.. Because right now only about half the things I remember being items I could "steal" are actually steal-able. The rest are just like regular items. I can take as much as I want with everyone watching and nobody will bat an eye. I can't even steal sweetrolls! its crap!

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I use Anises Cabin until I can build my own house. It's handy because it has both an alchemy table and an enchanters table, plus a skill book at the foot of the bed. My favourite Hearthfire house is Heljarken Hall in the Pale.

ketatrypt

I use Anises Cabin until I can build my own house. It's handy because it has both an alchemy table and an enchanters table, plus a skill book at the foot of the bed. My favourite Hearthfire house is Heljarken Hall in the Pale.

yes this is what im gonna have to do once I get the game re-installed.. I don't like that witch anyway... She tried to attack me! and I did absolutely nothing wrong to her! well.. except stumble across her lil hideout dungeon!

But yea.. just realized its marked on the map as well, so should be easy enough to fast travel to (as much as I despise fast traveling)

But thanks for all the great ideas! I shall remember all of these ! they will come in handy when I finally get around to actually playing (and beating) the game!

AS88

Staff member

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I just use Lydia as my storage until I can get in to the secret room at the Sleeping Giant. Once I unlock that room, me and Lydia take a nice walk and bond on our way to the Shrine of Boethiah.

Daelon DuLac

Isn't it a little declasse though? I mean really... holes in the walls, serious moisture issues in the basement... No shopping close by... i mean really... (believe it or not, my Argonian is a snob. For a guy from a swamp, you wouldn't think he'd be so picky on his homes!).

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
Isn't it a little declasse though? I mean really... holes in the walls, serious moisture issues in the basement... No shopping close by... i mean really... (believe it or not, my Argonian is a snob. For a guy from a swamp, you wouldn't think he'd be so picky on his homes!).
Riverwood is very close for shopping and being an Argonian you don't have to worry about catching a cold.

Daelon DuLac

Riverwood is very close for shopping and being an Argonian you don't have to worry about catching a cold.
True, but I so hate drafts. Perhaps I can get one of the lads, perhaps that prissy bard, to come up and lay some new siding for me...

By the way, is storage safe there?

ketatrypt

I just use Lydia as my storage until I can get in to the secret room at the Sleeping Giant. Once I unlock that room, me and Lydia take a nice walk and bond on our way to the Shrine of Boethiah.

I dunno if I'm the only person that does this.... but I DESPISE bringing any sort of companion with me. just call me greedy but I like soaking up all the xp I can get my hands on. I find it bad enough that I don't get the XP from traps & stuff I use to kill the harder guys. (like activating those spring loaded spike-door contraptions that flings the evil guys across the room)

so the only times I see the companions is when I'm in my house or Lydia is strolling dragons reach etc. and its such a hassle to find them when ya need 'em.

So far the best ideas I've read are the barrels around ward-maidens, and that witch-den. Ill just remember to NOT keep the herbs there as I wouldn't want em to go moldy in that cellar.

But its good enough place for my poor, anguished, wanna-be wood-elf princess.