What do you consider cheating?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
It's a solo experience. There is no such thing as cheating. Who's being cheated?

LotusEater

I often watch the DVD extras before watching the movie. Am I cheating?

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
No you are Not, does watching a second movie before the first count as cheating?

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
Anything that wasn't designed to be utilized is cheating. But cheat is not a four letter word in my book. Some of my favorite characters were built around cheating.

LotusEater

Anything that wasn't designed to be utilized is cheating. But cheat is not a four letter word in my book. Some of my favorite characters were built around cheating.

Victim being whom exactly in this case? Not being argumentative but are you implying that because the game isn't being used exactly as intended, cheating comes in to play? If so then it stands to reason that you are implying that Beth cares not that you bought the game so much, but why and whether or not you plan to exploit the weaknesses it had to accept in order to get a game to market. They don't care how you play it. Just that you enjoy it. They already got your money. You think Lego would care if I decided to buy a set, threw away the instructions and used the pieces for my checkerboard? I'm thinking not. As long as customer service doesn't have to field complaint calls from whiners about cheaters, they couldn't care less what you do with your game, that you paid big bucks for.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor

Victim being whom exactly in this case? Not being argumentative but are you implying that because the game isn't being used exactly as intended, cheating comes in to play? If so then it stands to reason that you are implying that Beth cares not that you bought the game so much, but why and whether or not you plan to exploit the weaknesses it had to accept in order to get a game to market. They don't care how you play it. Just that you enjoy it. They already got your money. You think Lego would care if I decided to buy a set, threw away the instructions and used the pieces for my checkerboard? I'm thinking not. As long as customer service doesn't have to field complaint calls from whiners about cheaters, they couldn't care less what you do with your game, that you paid big bucks for.

I don't know why they care, but if they didn't they woudn't bother patching exploits. Also, I didn't say they cared.

tx12001

if they did not intend people to use console commands they would have never put them commands into the game

LotusEater

I don't know why they care, but if they didn't they woudn't bother patching exploits. Also, I didn't say they cared.

Right, so if the only victim of the 'cheating' is a party that doesn't care... is it cheating? If there is no victim, then there is no cheating taking place. The only people that are getting cheated in this scenario are the people who are cheating themselves. At that point, how can anybody besides that person define what cheating is?

tx12001

Unless you use the Killall console Command, I pretty sure the People of skyrim within 500 feet of you would Care

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
If you spawn anything you didn't earn you are cheating.

Define cheating? What is he cheating? Who is he cheating?

Is it cheating if we (and we all do it) take advantage of the fact that the AI for NPCs is far inferior to a real person of *AVERAGE* intelligence?

Is he not cheating his own real life if he sits in some game grinding for something which is trivially easy to achieve, but is just tediously slow to obtain?

Personally I hate using console unless its to get around known bugs in the game (and there are lots of those). But I'd not say he's cheating. It's a game, if he's having fun, he's doing it right.

He asked for my opinion, I gave it to him, spawning yourself money in my opinion or any items for that matter than you didn't earn is cheating, literally entering a cheat code haha. I think not embracing the grind is cheating yourself because you are missing out on plenty of content. Btw welcome to the forums.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
In a single player, non competitive game, there is no cheating as far as I am concerned. There is no one to cheat. If you begin some sort of competition, or bet or something, then it becomes cheating. But the Skyrim? There's no co op, no pvp, not even a leaderboard. So the only way you can cheat is if you cheat on your virtual wife, imo.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
If you spawn anything you didn't earn you are cheating.

Is it cheating if we (and we all do it) take advantage of the fact that the AI for NPCs is far inferior to a real person of *AVERAGE* intelligence?

Is he not cheating his own real life if he sits in some game grinding for something which is trivially easy to achieve, but is just tediously slow to obtain?

Personally I hate using console unless its to get around known bugs in the game (and there are lots of those). But I'd not say he's cheating. It's a game, if he's having fun, he's doing it right.

He asked for my opinion, I gave it to him, spawning yourself money in my opinion or any items for that matter than you didn't earn is cheating, literally entering a cheat code haha. I think not embracing the grind is cheating yourself because you are missing out on plenty of content. Btw welcome to the forums.
I have over 3000 hours of Skyrim, and I assure you I have experienced more than my fair share of "the grind". Not everyone wants or needs to take the time to acquire something which they have acquired countless times beforehand.

LotusEater

I have over 3000 hours of Skyrim, and I assure you I have experienced more than my fair share of "the grind". Not everyone wants or needs to take the time to acquire something which they have acquired countless times beforehand.

I've logged crazy hours myself and I agree. My method for the past 1000 hrs or whatever has been to put the game on Novice and run as fast as possible through Alduin and Miraak and then start playing Skyrim. I'm sure some would consider that 'cheating'.

Benthos

Proud Mer
If you are in a race to see who can reach level ?? first and one of you uses the exploit to level up quicker when agreed not to then that would be considered cheating, but it's usually played solo, so pssh.

tx12001

Is using Dragonrend on a dragon cheating?because you are forcing them to land when you want to
if you are playing skyrim for the main quest then you are playing it wrong

tx12001

speak about cheating how many of you PC gamers expierence a crash when you use psb or pbs console command whatever it is, the one that gives you all the spells

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

What does that have to do with putting cheat codes in to console to spawn yourself stuff? I don't see how anyone could consider that playing the game properly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts