Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well since we're going on why we support each side.

Stormcloaks would say "The Empire surrendered!" In a manner of speaking, yes they did surrender. For the first time in four eras, the Empire surrendered to a far superior enemy. Did they simply roll over and give up? No, it took five years of destructive war with thousands left dead and homeless. Was it selfish of them to sue for peace it desperately needed? A temporary pause for another war.

"They banned Talos worship!" Twenty six years ago. Twenty six. Where was this rebellion when the treaty was signed? Where was this rebellion twenty or even ten years ago? Why the long wait, why not challenge High King Istlod? The Empire didn't ban Talos lightly, nor was it completely enforced until it became so obvious the Empire was ignoring it.

"The Stormcloaks fight for what they believe!" The Legion doesn't? Are they just fighting for the sake of it? No, they're fighting to preserve what they believe. Fighting for their homeland just the same as the Stormcloaks fight for theirs.

"The Empire doesn't care about Skyrim" If they didn't care, why are they wasting resources trying to hang onto it? Why are they wasting time keeping to Skyrim traditions of the Moot? If they didn't care they wouldn't lift a finger. I've seen Stormcloaks in this thread make out the Legion fighting shows they don't care, absolute rubbish. The Empire wouldn't part with a single gold Septim if they didn't care, they wouldn't dispatch soldiers and start preparing a larger force in northern Cyrodiil.

The whole Nord focused of the Stormcloaks will be their downfall, it'll take more than Nords to make Skyrim strong and it'll take more than Nords to defeat the Aldmeri Dominion. The Stormcloaks fight against the discrimination of the Thalmor, who believe themselves superior. Yet they spread that same discrimination onto non-Nords.

What good is independence and "freedom" if it takes slavery, segregation, isolation and death to obtain it? When does the price became too high, where do you limit yourself? You already have Stormcloak supporters considering non-Nords as substandard beings, where all elves are blamed for the Great War and Thalmor. It always starts small "segregation is needed" "they're to blame, really" "they could be spies" "why don't they just leave then" already half way there, that first step is the hardest, becomes far easier when it moves towards more enslavement, more segregation and then finally rounding up and killing.

Paranoia and religious militants, how interesting Skyrim is becoming. Some consider the rebellion to be a Holy War, and Ulfric does get compared to Talos a fair bit by his supporters. How high up they put him, and nearly worship him. Ulfric Stormcloak "truest of us all". The bad "faithless Imperials", I'm just waiting for the "heretics" and the Thalmor and Stormcloaks can wear matching coats.

Empire may not be perfect, and the Legion aren't saints. But, at least Elf, Man and Beast are equal sharing the same goal, under one banner.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
"All of those rambling speeches about the Empire this, and the Empire that.." -Sayma

I emphasize again Ulfric is a politician, I don't get why when the Empire pulls this sort of stuff everyone's like "wow, what strategic genius!"

He is a politician, he has to keep his supporters happy, content, no matter how fanatical they become in the coming years. He must keep their favor, because in the end he can't truly rely on them or trust them completely. They already betrayed one King, already turned against their oaths. Some did because they believe they had to, others like the case of Skald simply because they could.

Rikke makes a good point.

"I hope Ulfric will come to his senses. But I fear he's in too far to stop now."

I'm trying to understand what I just saw, and I... There are no words to describe the confusing, uncomfortable feeling this video gave me. Nor a number to describe the amount of intelligence that was drained from myself. Perhaps it is the fact I have never seen this movie, at this point I probably never will, as it doesn't seem like a genre that I enjoy. No, that is not to say the scene made me feel bad, I just prefer sci-fi, or comedy movies. This feels, in no small amount, like either.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Now drop them breeches and squeal like a pig that you Imperials are. Time to teach you Imperials a lesson of domination.

Ulfric would get jealous there Troll-Thruster.

Ulfric is too busy dominating General Tullius ;)

Really? I thought he was too busy getting dominated by the Thalmor. Then again we Imperials did a number on him during his imprisonment, he never did solve those daddy issues...

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Really? I thought he was too busy getting dominated by the Thalmor. Then again we Imperials did a number on him during his imprisonment, he never did solve those daddy issues...

Let me get to the bottom of this so that perhaps we all can agree for once :)

We the Stormcloaks are dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Imperial Legion of the Empire are pussies. And the Thalmor of the Aldmeri Dominion is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fluffed by dicks. But dicks also fluff assholes: assholes that just want to plops on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fluff an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fluff too much or fluff when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of plops that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fluff this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in plops!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I tried my best to see this from the point of view of an average Skyrim citizen, and you see so many of those types of people in the Stormcloaks. A while back I was feeling Imperial and did a play through with them, and every Stormcloak I cut down made me sick to my stomach.

You see many of them in the Legion, too. You're not supposed to feel great killing either side, since they're all friends, brothers, fathers and sons to each other.

"You know, some nights when I close my eyes, I see the battle stretched out before me, like I'm still there... Do the men you've killed haunt you? Mine do..."

You want the point of view for the average citizen?

"Both the Imperials and Stormcloaks have sent riders this way, scouting the bridge and the lands nearby. They stayed at the inn, but didn't pay. They said soldiers don't need to pay because they're risking their lives to protect us. And that's not all. They took a heap of our lumber, and one tried to have his way with my daughter. They think they can do whatever they want."

"We had some trouble, while back. Stormcloak tried to set the mill on fire. But we sorted her out."

"With most of the hold's fighting men committed to the war, there are fewer swords to keep the roads safe from brigands and wild beasts. And of course, as the war drags on and supplies run low, our ample fields and stores of food will make a tempting target for desperate men. The best we can hope for a swift end to the conflict. The longer the war goes on, the worse it will be for all for us, I'm afraid."

"At least the damned war hasn't gotten here. Yet."

"the war has been hard on us."

"This war's as stupid as our feud with Clan Gray-Mane."

"I think the war is just an excuse. If it does end there will be a new reason and a new place."

That is just one tiny part, there are countless more. Most don't care about either side, they just want it to end. Others have been more directly touched by the war in which they lost family.

Your side isn't the only side with common citizens. You feel bad for killing some Stormcloaks, what about the quest where you have to inform a mother that her Legionary daughter is dead somewhere in a ditch. Or you come across a boy who lost both his Legion parents to the war.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

We the Stormcloaks are dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Imperial Legion of the Empire are pussies. And the Thalmor of the Aldmeri Dominion is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fluffed by dicks. But dicks also fluff assholes: assholes that just want to pl*** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fluff an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fluff too much or fluff when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of pl*** that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fluff this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in pl***!

Tell me, friend, how many "supporters" follow your cause out of lies spewed by Ulfric and his fanatical brethren?

Tythis: "Madesi, have you heard the Imperials might be headed this way? What would we do?"
Madesi: "They aren't invading, milord... it's simply a response to Ulfric and his Stormcloaks. I assure you everything will be fine."
Tythis: "But I've heard from the Snow-Shods that they intend to burn this place to the ground!"

New recruitment strategy?

At least the Snow-Shod heir is starting to see reason.

"I just think they've let my sister's death skew their outlook on Ulfric and what he really brings to the table with this war. I'm not so certain that Ulfric's intentions are as noble as they think. I think Ulfric cares about Ulfric and the rest is a smokescreen." - Asgeir

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Just did the civil war from the imperial POV for the first time since my first ever game. It's galling putting Maven BB on the throne of Riften and while I find Siddgeir amusing I'd sooner Dengeir was Jarl of Falkreath. I don't like Tullius much either, next time I'll play as the Stormcloaks and cut him down

I like Rikke, Elisef, Laila and Baalgruf.

I slightly favour the Stormcloaks but mostly I prefer leaving things as they are and not getting involved

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Just did the civil war from the imperial POV for the first time since my first ever game. It's galling putting Maven BB on the throne of Riften and while I find Siddgeir amusing I'd sooner Dengeir was Jarl of Falkreath. I don't like Tullius much either, next time I'll play as the Stormcloaks and cut him down

I like Rikke, Elisef, Laila and Baalgruf.

I slightly favour the Stormcloaks but mostly I prefer leaving things as they are and not getting involved

You might like Jarls Brina & Kraldar

If you like Laila and Dengeir, little bit of interesting dialogue for you.

"With the Stormcloaks at his back, Ulfric's poised to rid Skyrim of the Empire's forces and invalidate our involvement with the White-Gold Concordat. Between you and I, I think his motivations are a bit more self-serving. He uses this holy war as leverage in order to pursue the throne. If he were to be crowned High King, I'm not so certain it would be the golden age his followers expect." - Laila Law-Giver

"I'm no man's fool. I know Ulfric Stormcloak's selfish and power-hungry, but he's the devil I know. Does that put it plain enough for you?" - Dengeir of Stuhn

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
"The world's going mad, and our Jarl doesn't care. She's only in it for herself. If she's the best Ulfric has to offer, we might've been better off with the Imperials." - Jorgen

That's it Stormcloaks, send those you've "liberated" back to wanting us in charge.

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim

We the Stormcloaks are dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Imperial Legion of the Empire are pussies. And the Thalmor of the Aldmeri Dominion is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fluffed by dicks. But dicks also fluff assholes: assholes that just want to pl*** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fluff an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fluff too much or fluff when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of pl*** that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fluff this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in pl***!

Hahaha Team America all the way!

Raijin

LOL :D

Raijin

Tell me, friend, how many "supporters" follow your cause out of lies spewed by Ulfric and his fanatical brethren?

Tythis: "Madesi, have you heard the Imperials might be headed this way? What would we do?"
Madesi: "They aren't invading, milord... it's simply a response to Ulfric and his Stormcloaks. I assure you everything will be fine."
Tythis: "But I've heard from the Snow-Shods that they intend to burn this place to the ground!"

"I just think they've let my sister's death skew their outlook on Ulfric and what he really brings to the table with this war. I'm not so certain that Ulfric's intentions are as noble as they think. I think Ulfric cares about Ulfric and the rest is a smokescreen." - Asgeir

Prove to me that Ulfric is a liar and a deceiver. Whats the point of showing me this dialogue between Tyhis and Madesi? Asgeir Snow-Shod dialogue was a side effect of his bereavement for the loss of his sister. It doesn't count as the truth of the fact but an emotional reaction. When you talk to him hes already in distraught about the death of his sister.

"Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help you much right now... I'm currently in mourning.", "You've caught me at a bad time. I've lost someone dear to me." or "Yes? What is it?"

Nice try thought.

Raijin

"The world's going mad, and our Jarl doesn't care. She's only in it for herself. If she's the best Ulfric has to offer, we might've been better off with the Imperials." - Jorgen

That's it Stormcloaks, send those you've "liberated" back to wanting us in charge.

Dude don't be quoting Jorgen when he also has issues with the previous Jarl LOL

"The world's going mad, and our Jarl does what? She hides inside with her 'visions'. We need a leader, not some mystic!"

If you ask him if he trust Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone he response with:

"How can I? She never speaks with us. She's allowed this wizard, Falion, to live in our midst practicing gods-know-what. And now there's talk of rebellion, and dragons? What help could Idgrod be against them? No, we can only rely on ourselves. You'd do well to remember that."

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Well since we're going on why we support each side.

Stormcloaks would say "The Empire surrendered!" In a manner of speaking, yes they did surrender. For the first time in four eras, the Empire surrendered to a far superior enemy. Did they simply roll over and give up? No, it took five years of destructive war with thousands left dead and homeless. Was it selfish of them to sue for peace it desperately needed? A temporary pause for another war.

"They banned Talos worship!" Twenty six years ago. Twenty six. Where was this rebellion when the treaty was signed? Where was this rebellion twenty or even ten years ago? Why the long wait, why not challenge High King Istlod? The Empire didn't ban Talos lightly, nor was it completely enforced until it became so obvious the Empire was ignoring it.

"The Stormcloaks fight for what they believe!" The Legion doesn't? Are they just fighting for the sake of it? No, they're fighting to preserve what they believe. Fighting for their homeland just the same as the Stormcloaks fight for theirs.

"The Empire doesn't care about Skyrim" If they didn't care, why are they wasting resources trying to hang onto it? Why are they wasting time keeping to Skyrim traditions of the Moot? If they didn't care they wouldn't lift a finger. I've seen Stormcloaks in this thread make out the Legion fighting shows they don't care, absolute rubbish. The Empire wouldn't part with a single gold Septim if they didn't care, they wouldn't dispatch soldiers and start preparing a larger force in northern Cyrodiil.

The whole Nord focused of the Stormcloaks will be their downfall, it'll take more than Nords to make Skyrim strong and it'll take more than Nords to defeat the Aldmeri Dominion. The Stormcloaks fight against the discrimination of the Thalmor, who believe themselves superior. Yet they spread that same discrimination onto non-Nords.

What good is independence and "freedom" if it takes slavery, segregation, isolation and death to obtain it? When does the price became too high, where do you limit yourself? You already have Stormcloak supporters considering non-Nords as substandard beings, where all elves are blamed for the Great War and Thalmor. It always starts small "segregation is needed" "they're to blame, really" "they could be spies" "why don't they just leave then" already half way there, that first step is the hardest, becomes far easier when it moves towards more enslavement, more segregation and then finally rounding up and killing.

Paranoia and religious militants, how interesting Skyrim is becoming. Some consider the rebellion to be a Holy War, and Ulfric does get compared to Talos a fair bit by his supporters. How high up they put him, and nearly worship him. Ulfric Stormcloak "truest of us all". The bad "faithless Imperials", I'm just waiting for the "heretics" and the Thalmor and Stormcloaks can wear matching coats.

Empire may not be perfect, and the Legion aren't saints. But, at least Elf, Man and Beast are equal sharing the same goal, under one banner.

Ok, yes it's understandable the Empire surrendered. But so many Nords didn't want that, and they hate the way they did it. If they feel differently why should they continue to be a part of the Empire?

Better late than never. Nords also had wounds to heal, while they were off saving the Empire. And of course Ulfric was in jail for a good chunk of this time. AND, there were skirmishes being fought well before Torygg's death, AND Ulfric mentions Windhelm calling for war for at least as early as when he got out of jail.

A lot of the Legion are a deployed force from Cyrodiil. 100% of the Stormcloaks are Skyrim natives.

I don't think the Empire is fighting because they love the moot. And that's just the thing. The Empire is using Skyrim's resources to fund it. They're doing a good amount of local recruiting. The Emporer is really not wanting to get involved. The Empire is not by any means doing their best to hold on to Skyrim.

Ulfric was seeking an alliance with High Rock, and they let any race the player is join them. The Stormcloaks aren't looking to do this alone.
"For it will be Skyrim that shall lead Tamriel in those dark days, when the fate of the world is finally determined."

Except there is absolutely nothing in the game to suggest they will be murdering outsiders. Its the Empire with the torture rooms and public executions. But apparantly the Stormcloaks are starting concentration camps soon based on what?

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim

LOL :D

You are worthress, Generar Turrius!!!

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion

Prove to me that Ulfric is a liar and a deceiver. Whats the point of showing me this dialogue between Tyhis and Madesi? Asgeir Snow-Shod dialogue was a side effect of his bereavement for the loss of his sister. It doesn't count as the truth of the fact but an emotional reaction. When you talk to him hes already in distraught about the death of his sister.

"Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help you much right now... I'm currently in mourning.", "You've caught me at a bad time. I've lost someone dear to me." or "Yes? What is it?"

Nice try thought.
That's the thing though Raijin. People have been proving to you that Ulfric is a liar/deceiver for 800 pages or so. You either respond to it with something irrelevant or a stray off topic. But to add to it:

Ulfric: "How'd I do?"
Galmar: "Eh, not so bad. Nice touch about the High King."
Ulfric: "Thank you, I thought so, too."
Galmar: "It's a foregone conclusion, you know."
Ulfric: "Oh, I know."

Or

"Heh. Ulfric's put me in charge of keeping an eye on the new Jarls. You know, make sure they're generally following orders."

Also, I wouldn't count on High Rock coming to the rescue...

Ulfric: "Is there any news from High Rock?"
Galmar: "Not a peep. Those prissy Bretons can't be made to lift a finger to help their neighbors."
Ulfric: "I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. They've never had many problems with the Empire."
Galmar: "Those milk drinkers? Might as well be elves. Think they're better than us."
Ulfric: "Regardless. It appears Skyrim must stand alone. Again."

Ulfric also admits his mistakes in death....

"Skyrim was betrayed, the blood of her sons spilled in doomed struggle against fate. And so in death, too late, I learn the truth - fed by war, so waxed the power of Alduin, World-Eater - wisdom now useless."

The Snow-Shod's, last I recall, were staunch Stormcloak supporters. Why would the death of his sister affect the view of his family's and his own ideology? Unless that IS his ideology, which it is. If anything he would blame the Empire in some way or form, but he doesn't be cause he's smarter than that. It's a shame that the Stormcloaks killed his wife....;)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Ok, yes it's understandable the Empire surrendered. But so many Nords didn't want that, and they hate the way they did it. If they feel differently why should they continue to be a part of the Empire?

Yet they accepted it. Ulfric didn't hate the Empire until his father died during his imprisonment. Many Nords wanted peace, and many didn't for sure. Why should they force others to no longer be part of the Empire? Why don't they simply split into half and half.

Better late than never. Nords also had wounds to heal, while they were off saving the Empire. And of course Ulfric was in jail for a good chunk of this time. AND, there were skirmishes being fought well before Torygg's death, AND Ulfric mentions Windhelm calling for war for at least as early as when he got out of jail.

No, their window came and gone. Wounds to heal? If the treaty was such an outrage, and these same Nords didn't want peace or to "surrender" as you claimed what wounds are there? Shouldn't they have been able to keep fighting, or are their boastful words about the Empire being cowardly and fighting on suddenly finding voice after nearly three decades?

Yes there were skirmishes for years, many years at least over a decade. Nords commonly skirmish from time to time, yet for all this time why did Ulfric not challenge Istlod, why did he not try for diplomacy. Yes, his people called out for war, they're Nords... I'm sure they call out for war several times a day.

A lot of the Legion are a deployed force from Cyrodiil. 100% of the Stormcloaks are Skyrim natives.

A lot of them are from the provinces, too. All of the Legions went south to the Aldmeri border, including Legions normally stationed in Skyrim. What is in Skyrim during the war would be skeleton garrisons and little reinforcements from Cyrodiil. Majority of the Legionaries make mention of joining recently and of being local.

I don't think the Empire is fighting because they love the moot.

They would hate the Moot, since they can't influence it. They still allow it to happen, would have been far easier to simply place Imperial Nobility in command again.

And that's just the thing. The Empire is using Skyrim's resources to fund it.

You keep thinking of the Empire as a foreign power, Skyrim has been part of the Empire for over an Era. They are the Empire, you Stormcloaks seek to go independent and "liberate" Skyrim.

Besides, they're also using supplies from Cyrodiil. Ships to Solitude, and before Pale Pass was blocked it was a supply route.

Where do you think the Empire gets resources? It doesn't all come from only Cyrodiil. It comes from all over, and goes eveywhere.

They're doing a good amount of local recruiting.

Normal in times of war.

The Emporer is really not wanting to get involved.

He's unwilling to directly involve himself in hostilities again. Shame, since he was a good Military leader. War has that effect on certain people. He dies, though.

The Empire is not by any means doing their best to hold on to Skyrim.

Caught between a rock and a hard place. Civil War on one side, Aldmeri Dominion starting to line their borders on another. Though they are trying to hold onto Skyrim, perhaps you can explain further on how they're not doing their best?

Pale Pass is blocking reinforcements. The Empire didn't spare much to start with, look at it from their point of view. Minor rebellion, which they assumed could be ended quickly and indeed it nearly was. Tullius had captured Ulfric in a short amount of time and nearly ended the war. Had the Empire expected dragons to return, and Ulfric escaping and the war getting worse... There would have been more soldiers.

Ulfric was seeking an alliance with High Rock, and they let any race the player is join them. The Stormcloaks aren't looking to do this alone.
"For it will be Skyrim that shall lead Tamriel in those dark days, when the fate of the world is finally determined."

Seeking an alliance? Ulfric asking if there is any news i.e if the Bretons are now acting cause the Stormcloaks are rebelling. Isn't seeking an alliance. They allow the player to join, the player. They might allow other races, but they're not exactly welcoming them to do so.

The weakest province leading Tamriel. Or is Ulfric Stormcloak suggesting High King is merely a step before Emperor? Stormcloaks are doing a good job of isolating themselves.

Except there is absolutely nothing in the game to suggest they will be murdering outsiders. Its the Empire with the torture rooms and public executions. But apparantly the Stormcloaks are starting concentration camps soon based on what?

I'm not saying soon, I'm saying what comes after. You have slavery out of hatred and segregation mixed with mistrust and hatred. Those are your stepping stones.

How do you think the Thalmor started out? They didn't just start mass killings. You're looking for the action of it happening, without looking at what comes before it happens.

Based on what? You tell me what happens when slavery, segregation, paranoia, mistrust, hatred and religion mix? The first steps are the hardest, and you already have completed the first steps. The downwards spiral becomes much easier.

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts