• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well, if you have ever written for any amount of time you have come across it. Writer's block. That insufferable wall that keeps all things creative locked away. So my question to all of you writers is this: How do you hurdle your way over writer's block? Is it something you do or is it simply a matter of waiting it out? Or do you ever really get over having it? Questions and now time for answers, yes?!

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I usually do something that has absolutely nothing to do with writing. Go for a ride on my motorcycle, listen to music, go for a walk with my wife, play video games, etc. In doing these other things, I'm not so much looking for inspiration, just a break. Hopefully, my mind will untangle its own knots.

If none of that works, I then try to analyze where the thought train got derailed, and how the choo-choo can continue its journey. I ask myself what are you trying to say, and to whom, if applicable. It's kinda like my own mini Q&A. Hopefully, by answering some of these questions, said choo-choo is back on schedule.

And if all that fails, then: Vee have vays uv making you vrite!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Waiting for it to naturally pass usually does not turn out well for me. If I don't have a deadline, I tend to leave whatever I was writing behind in the dust while I wait for inspiration that never comes; if I do have a deadline, I don't have time to wait, so I have no choice but to keep writing.

The best defense against writer's block, I've found, happens before writer's block can even set in: planning and preparing what you're going to write. I get stuck most often when I'm writing blindly, without any idea where the story is going. Prior to last year's Nanowrimo, I decided to outline more than I ever had before, and planned out the main story arc, subplots, character backgrounds, and, most importantly, scenes. I wrote a brief summary of what should happen in each scene, and determined how many words long they should be. This all helped keep me on track; I never got lost wondering where this scene was going or where it should end or what should happen next.

Nanowrimo itself is a fantastic exercise in how to beat writer's block. You know that deadline I mentioned before? That's Nanowrimo in a nutshell: a great big looming deadline that terrorizes you to keep writing, no matter what. When you have to write 1,667 words per day for a month, you don't have time for writer's block! So, if it pops up, ignore it. Just keep writing. If you're stuck on a particular scene, skip to the next one. Or throw a new one in that you hadn't planned at all. Switch up your perspective, or start writing from a different character's point of view. Kill a character. Introduce a new character. Give your main character a grudge against someone, or an interesting personality quirk, or a bad injury. Do whatever you have to do to keep writing and to kick writer's block in the face—even if you end up editing it back to the proper perspective or deleting that extra scene, it will have done its job in keeping your creative juices flowing.

I also find that reading helps me with writer's block, because reading generally makes me want to write. Reading something within the genre I'm writing is most effective; it gets me in the right frame of mind and usually triggers new ideas or better directions to go with the scene that's tripping me up. Watching similar films helps, too. I wrote a zombie apocalypse for Nanowrimo one year and watched pretty much every zombie apocalypse film I could get my hands on the month before to get that imagery in my head.

And, talk your plot out with someone! Sometimes, all it needs is a fresh perspective. My boyfriend has helped me through a lot of tricky plot holes not only by giving me ideas and suggestions, but by asking me questions that help me figure out where, exactly, my problems lie. (Just putting this out there: I'd be happy to be a sounding board if you ever need one!)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
ONE MORE THING: A good writing program can be immensely helpful. I used to write in Microsoft Word, and my manuscripts would get messy and disorganized and it was difficult and frustrating to go back and find certain scenes or lines of dialogue. Last year, I got Scrivener, and my whole world changed. Not only is it brilliant for planning, but it keeps your writing neat and organized, which in itself can dissuade writer's block! I really can't recommend Scrivener highly enough; it was easily the best $30 I've spent in years.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Honestly the best way that I've found to beat it is to keep writing. Write about something else, write about the same thing backwards, hell, I've even written 19 pages all over from the beginning before. In a nutshell, keep writing.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Quoting myself from a post in "There May Be Pain in the Night."

My advice:

Shut up and type words. They could be incredibly stupid, entirely nonsensical words that aren't even made into proper sentences. None of that matters, so long as you're shutting up and typing words. The main thing is that you just keep on typing words until it becomes second nature for you to type words, at which point typing proper words isn't that much of a leap of faith. Just relaxing and playing a few hours of Skyrim helps me get my mojo back too, so long as I don't give up on shutting up and typing words.

Alternate means:

- Go somewhere where you've never gone before. I've found recently, after getting back from a vacation, that simply seeing a new locale and being shaken up by it really got my creative juices flowing. Another good method for cheapskates is to try writing somewhere where you normally don't write. Been sitting at the downstairs desk for a while? Try moving your operation upstairs or vice versa. Or getting out of the house entirely and crashing at a library for a few hours. Just walking through a doorway causes your brain to turn over.

- I also highly recommend drawing your characters. In doing so, you really get a feel for the weight of their equipment, their muscle mass, how they ambulate and how they measure up next to other characters. It's a great way to discover things about your characters that you never would have found out otherwise and revitalize your interest in them. It's also pretty nice to just spend some time sketching, away from the computer, so long as you don't stress over perfection of form and just have fun with what you're doing.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Oh, I forgot one very important tip: when you get stuck, shut your computer off and write by hand. Something about writing on the computer puts a lot of pressure on me to Get It Right. Maybe it's that the clean, crisp font looks too perfect and I'm worried about messing it up, or that it's too easy—and tempting—to spend half an hour editing and re-editing a single sentence. But when I'm writing by hand, all that pressure flies out the window. It's like I'm suddenly allowed to make a mess of things and scribble bits and pieces out of order, and there's simply no room to edit so I don't edit, I just keep writing. I can whip out a thousand words in no time when I'm writing by hand, whereas it might take me three times as long to do it when a computer screen is staring me in the face. Try it!

Neriad13

Premium Member
Oh, I forgot one very important tip: when you get stuck, shut your computer off and write by hand. Something about writing on the computer puts a lot of pressure on me to Get It Right. Maybe it's that the clean, crisp font looks too perfect and I'm worried about messing it up, or that it's too easy—and tempting—to spend half an hour editing and re-editing a single sentence. But when I'm writing by hand, all that pressure flies out the window. It's like I'm suddenly allowed to make a mess of things and scribble bits and pieces out of order, and there's simply no room to edit so I don't edit, I just keep writing. I can whip out a thousand words in no time when I'm writing by hand, whereas it might take me three times as long to do it when a computer screen is staring me in the face. Try it!

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I feel more free to get really sloppy on the computer because I know I can just go back and change things at the click of a button. Is that the stupidest sentence I've ever written staring me in the face? Bah, whatever, I'll get back to it later.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Is that the stupidest sentence I've ever written staring me in the face? Bah, whatever, I'll get back to it later.

That's exactly what gets me on the computer—if it's the stupidest sentence I've ever written, I can't let it go until I fix it, because I can fix it. But on paper, I can't. I mean, yeah, I could scratch it out and rewrite it, and sometimes I do, but most of the time I think, "Meh, it's there now, I can't erase it. Keep going!"

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Good stuff so far everyone! Some really insightful responses. Personally when I get writer's block, I just pay someone else to write for me. ;)

Kidding aside, one thing I like to do is type with some classical music on and my eyes closed. Type whatever comes to mine. Memories, images, anything and everything.

AngryMage

100% Argonian, at your service!
Unfortunately all I can do is wait it out. Inspiration doesn't come easy with me, and I can get stuck in writer's block for days, weeks, or even months. I often come to forks in the road which take an eternity to resolve it seems, though a bit of gaming helps in the attempt to retrieve the inspiration I will never find again.

Star Gazer

Usually the only time I think of things is when I sit on the floor of my shower and let the water run down my face. Don't know why, I just think better that way.

Docta Corvina

For me, one thing that never fails to help is watching films and listening to soundtracks. I'm a soundtrack fanatic, I'd say 70% of my music collection is soundtracks. Currently I'm listening to Stargate (I <3 that movie so hard) and it's triggering scenes for my fanfic in my head. Don't ask me how or why. I just embrace it. :p

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
For me, one thing that never fails to help is watching films and listening to soundtracks. I'm a soundtrack fanatic, I'd say 70% of my music collection is soundtracks. Currently I'm listening to Stargate (I <3 that movie so hard) and it's triggering scenes for my fanfic in my head. Don't ask me how or why. I just embrace it. :p

Hm... is the Stargate a portal to Oblivion...? That is the question. :)

Docta Corvina

Hm... is the Stargate a portal to Oblivion...? That is the question. :)

Could be. :p

Seriously though, this music is helping for my Dwemer ruin scenes! I don't normally go for much Sci-Fi, but Stargate (the movie, damnit!) sure as hell is a favorite. And I find that cross-genre media can really help with defeating writer's block.

Neriad13

Premium Member

Whoa, I'm not the only one! I love soundtracks too. I think what I really love is anything with a narrative in mind.

Star Gazer

Yeah, none of this stuff ever works for me. I usually find all of my ideas doing normal everyday things. I thought of an ending for my fanfic while walking through Home Depot.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts