• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
So you are saying you like longer skirts to keep the boys fantasizing :p Hey when you know you got it, flaunting is the modus operandi.

Tee hee. It means "mode of operation."

All I'm saying is that the Stormcloaks armor looks manly whereas the Imperials looks more feminine.
Hey its based off Roman style and it must have been succesful the Romans controlled a very large empire so it must have been useful considering how dominant they were

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
8348.jpg
DrunkenMage said:
Must be doing something right, Imperials conquered Tamriel.​
Yeah by killing their enemies with laughter. One look at their armor and 6 feet under the ground.

Yes because a large, very agitated Legionaire clad in Black/Silverish Plate Armor chasing me to the bottom of Lake Rumare for stealing a loaf of bread from the River district is there to make me laugh.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
[quote="DrunkenMage, post: 1063461, member: 8348

He could become paranoid, he could become insane. That is a speculation, same could be said about anyone. Who is to say Tullius might not just snap, and then dance around the room?

There is no reason for Ulfric to just became paranoid out of no where.

Ulfric isn't going to be waiting around in Skyrim forever, the High King's of old would often fight on the battlefield. Galmar keeping the new Jarls in line, is temporary, until they're able to rule, the Stormcloaks seek to restore Skyrim to it's true self. With us or against us for the Civil War, is one thing. It's not even a Stormcloak thing, with us or against us is everywhere. Blades, Nords, Empire. Oh indeed, the Empire has with us or against us.

You see, if you speak out against the Empire. Chances are you'll be arrested and executed, and not always in that order, as the Legion in Morrowind had you kill someone for talking out against the Legion.[/quote]

Drunken: re this:
1) Ulfric is already paranoid. While not insane, it might be a good idea for him to seek some help re his delusions of grandure and megalomania.
2) Tullius could snap, but what difference would that make? He's just one minor General in a huge Imperial army.
3) Again, Ulfric is already paranoid so it wouldn't be out of nowhere.
4) Do you really think Galmar is going to be doing it "temporarily"? Really? It is not in Ulfric's character to ever trust anyone or give up control. BTW - don't you think it would be Ulfric who would determine if the Jarls were ruling "correctly"?
5) What is Skyrim's "true" self?
6) "With us or against us" is not just a Civil War thing. Look at history. Anyone who has ever used that phrase has never just used it in the context of one event or series of events. It's their way of life.
7) Sure, the empire may have you arrested or even killed for speaking out against them (hey, it's a savage place), but so would the Stormcloaks. Throughout the game, unless you actually join up with them (and even if you do sometimes), Stormcloaks will agressively confront you where-ever you are and often attack you (on my many playthroughs the certainly have me). Now I would understand that if you were in the enemy army and/or even wearing one of their uniforms, but when you're just a layperson? Really? What's your issue dudes? I have yet to be attacked by any legionnaire, ever, even when I was with the Stormies. Sure they're a little surly when the have a prisoner (but then again, so are the Thalmor) and they may attack you if you have a bounty, but they don't just confront you and attack. As a matter of fact, they're rather pleasant if you don't interact. They just have conversations and acknowledge you as a citizen when you go past.

While I'm not basing my opinion on lore, I am basing my opinion on my experiences in Skyrim. I have never played Oblivion or any other TES game. Perhaps my opinion will change if I can ever find any of them.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
1) Ulfric is already paranoid. While not insane, it might be a good idea for him to seek some help re his delusions of grandure and megalomania.

Source showing him paranoid? He's fighting a war, sure he seeks the throne to establish change. Is that such a bad thing? His motives to rule Skyrim are no less noble than the Empire's reason.

2) Tullius could snap, but what difference would that make? He's just one minor General in a huge Imperial army.

He's the Military Governor of Skyrim, and suggested by dialogue he's the go-to-guy for the Emperor himself. I wouldn't exactly call him minor. Imperial army can't even keep order in Cyrodiil, cities erupting into violence... If the Empire can't keep order where majority of their forces are stationed, how can they protect citizens of Skyrim. Well besides the Imperial soldiers who got drunk and slaughtered a woman's family...

Again, source? Or at least something to support him being paranoid?

4) Do you really think Galmar is going to be doing it "temporarily"? Really? It is not in Ulfric's character to ever trust anyone or give up control. BTW - don't you think it would be Ulfric who would determine if the Jarls were ruling "correctly"?

They're returning Skyrim to traditional Nordic Government, the Jarls will gain their own armies. They'll have authority over their lands, and the Moot will return to being a Kingmaker. Why wouldn't it be temporary, it is only for the new Jarls and their Governments. The Imperial Legion does the exact same thing, it's helping them establish themselves.

It is to determine the Jarls are building their armies, soldiers are being trained.

Without Cyrodiil exploiting resources, and manipulating Skyrim's governments to keep only Jarls of Solitude as High King/Queen. The Jarls depend on the Empire to rule effectively, and when Cyrodiil turns a blind eye to the other provinces, those Jarls pay the price. Markarth is an example, when the Cyrodiil turned a blind eye the Jarl lost the ability to keep their city.

6) "With us or against us" is not just a Civil War thing. Look at history. Anyone who has ever used that phrase has never just used it in the context of one event or series of events. It's their way of life.

Yet you see in from Blades, Imperial supporters, and Stormcloaks. With us or against us isn't about every citizen, it was towards the Imperial sided Jarls. The Empire was founded on with us or against us.

7) Sure, the empire may have you arrested or even killed for speaking out against them (hey, it's a savage place), but so would the Stormcloaks.

Many speak out against Ulfric in the capital... they're still walking around. Stormcloak supporter in Solitude is facing execution for talking out against the Empire.

Throughout the game, unless you actually join up with them (and even if you do sometimes), Stormcloaks will agressively confront you where-ever you are and often attack you (on my many playthroughs the certainly have me).

Then something is wrong with your game, or you have some kind of bounty in a Stormcloak hold. The Stormcloaks only attack you if you don't leave, the same as Imperials.

Now I would understand that if you were in the enemy army and/or even wearing one of their uniforms, but when you're just a layperson? Really? What's your issue dudes? I have yet to be attacked by any legionnaire, ever, even when I was with the Stormies. Sure they're a little surly when the have a prisoner (but then again, so are the Thalmor) and they may attack you if you have a bounty, but they don't just confront you and attack. As a matter of fact, they're rather pleasant if you don't interact. They just have conversations and acknowledge you as a citizen when you go past.

Same as above, both sides warn you away. The Stormcloaks greet you normally too, and are quite welcoming. But both sides don't want you hanging around them for too long, Imperial soldiers will attack you if you hang about, same as Stormcloaks.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Many speak out against Ulfric in the capital... they're still walking around. Stormcloak supporter in Solitude is facing execution for talking out against the Empire.

What about Threki in Riften who was jailed for speaking against Ulfric?

Daelon DuLac

Source showing him paranoid? He's fighting a war, sure he seeks the throne to establish change. Is that such a bad thing? His motives to rule Skyrim are no less noble than the Empire's reason.

He's the Military Governor of Skyrim, and suggested by dialogue he's the go-to-guy for the Emperor himself. I wouldn't exactly call him minor. Imperial army can't even keep order in Cyrodiil, cities erupting into violence... If the Empire can't keep order where majority of their forces are stationed, how can they protect citizens of Skyrim. Well besides the Imperial soldiers who got drunk and slaughtered a woman's family...

Again, source? Or at least something to support him being paranoid?

They're returning Skyrim to traditional Nordic Government, the Jarls will gain their own armies. They'll have authority over their lands, and the Moot will return to being a Kingmaker. Why wouldn't it be temporary, it is only for the new Jarls and their Governments. The Imperial Legion does the exact same thing, it's helping them establish themselves.

It is to determine the Jarls are building their armies, soldiers are being trained.

Without Cyrodiil exploiting resources, and manipulating Skyrim's governments to keep only Jarls of Solitude as High King/Queen. The Jarls depend on the Empire to rule effectively, and when Cyrodiil turns a blind eye to the other provinces, those Jarls pay the price. Markarth is an example, when the Cyrodiil turned a blind eye the Jarl lost the ability to keep their city.

Yet you see in from Blades, Imperial supporters, and Stormcloaks. With us or against us isn't about every citizen, it was towards the Imperial sided Jarls. The Empire was founded on with us or against us.

7) Sure, the empire may have you arrested or even killed for speaking out against them (hey, it's a savage place), but so would the Stormcloaks.

Throughout the game, unless you actually join up with them (and even if you do sometimes), Stormcloaks will agressively confront you where-ever you are and often attack you (on my many playthroughs the certainly have me).

Then something is wrong with your game, or you have some kind of bounty in a Stormcloak hold. The Stormcloaks only attack you if you don't leave, the same as Imperials.

Now I would understand that if you were in the enemy army and/or even wearing one of their uniforms, but when you're just a layperson? Really? What's your issue dudes? I have yet to be attacked by any legionnaire, ever, even when I was with the Stormies. Sure they're a little surly when the have a prisoner (but then again, so are the Thalmor) and they may attack you if you have a bounty, but they don't just confront you and attack. As a matter of fact, they're rather pleasant if you don't interact. They just have conversations and acknowledge you as a citizen when you go past.

Same as above, both sides warn you away. The Stormcloaks greet you normally too, and are quite welcoming. But both sides don't want you hanging around them for too long, Imperial soldiers will attack you if you hang about, same as Stormcloaks.
Like I said, it's just my opinion based on what I've experienced in the game. I've never experienced the other games in the TES series. I'm just trying to learn.

There honestly must be something wrong with my game. I NEVER have bounties that remain unpaid. The only time Imperials have ever attacked me or been in any way unfriendly is when I have a small bounty at the beginning of the game in Falkreath (I pretty much kill everyone so that I can make cash) or when the warn me away when they have a prisoner. Other than that they have never been agressive. The Stormies are ALWAYS agressive towards my characters. You can't interact with them in any way unless you're running past them and they advise you to let any "True son of Skryim" to join their effort. Even if I just stand in one place as they're going past they will draw weapons and tell me to move along and that it's none of my business. It could just be that my game has burned in a Stormie thing since I never side with them, ever.

I'm working on a Nord Werewolf character now along with my mage that I hadn't intended to join any faction, but, perhaps I should join the "Loathed Ones" this time just to see if it changes future interactions.

Query though: Why does Ulfic have you do such silly things if you're a non-nord trying to join the Stormies and not a Nord? On both playthroughs where I did join Stormies as a non-nord (Imperial and a Breton) I was sent on some strange mission in to the ice fields to either kill ice-wraiths or frost trolls but I never experienced that on my 5 Nords. They just got sent to take care of someone. Just wondering.

Daelon DuLac

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Query though: Why does Ulfic have you do such silly things if you're a non-nord trying to join the Stormies and not a Nord? On both playthroughs where I did join Stormies as a non-nord (Imperial and a Breton) I was sent on some strange mission in to the ice fields to either kill ice-wraiths or frost trolls but I never experienced that on my 5 Nords. They just got sent to take care of someone. Just wondering.

It doesn't matter what race you are. Even as a Nord they send you to kill the Ice Wraith at least on my playthrough

Who's "Threki"? I remember the elf I put in jail and Maven's grandson(?) Sibbi. Was there someone else in the cells that I missed?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Threki_the_Innocent

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

They send you to do that on every character? Even Nords. Are you sure you're remembering right?

Daelon DuLac

It doesn't matter what race you are. Even as a Nord they send you to kill the Ice Wraith at least on my playthrough

Who's "Threki"? I remember the elf I put in jail and Maven's grandson(?) Sibbi. Was there someone else in the cells that I missed?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Threki_the_Innocent
Hmm... I never experienced that on a Nord. Thanks for the info on Threki. I'll have to look when I get to Riften.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Why does Ulfic have you do such silly things

Why is it silly? It's an Nordic tradition to go out and kill an Ice Wraith. It is a symbol of honor, adulthood, coming of age etc.

Also it is about proving yourself, unlike the Empire the Stormcloaks aren't looking for mercenaries. "We're not looking for sellswords. The Stormcloaks need dedicated men and women who're devoted to the cause and willing to die for it."

Daelon DuLac

They send you to do that on every character? Even Nords. Are you sure you're remembering right?
They never sent my Nords to kill Ice Wraith or trolls, but I have been sent to take care of someone on every Nord. It could have been a war related mission (like the silly one the Imperials give you to clean all the bandits out of an entire fort no matter what level you are!) though. It's been a really long time since I've done the Stormies side so I'm not really sure what the missions were, but I vividly remember the scampering about the ice fields with my non-Nords.

It's not a big deal, but you have inspired me to try the Stormcloaks again with my Nord Werewolf warrior this time.

Daelon DuLac

Why does Ulfic have you do such silly things

Why is it silly? It's an Nordic tradition to go out and kill an Ice Wraith. It is a symbol of honor, adulthood, coming of age etc.

Also it is about proving yourself, unlike the Empire the Stormcloaks aren't looking for mercenaries. "We're not looking for sellswords. The Stormcloaks need dedicated men and women who're devoted to the cause and willing to die for it."
I can't disagree with that. It is one of my favorite lines used on non-Nords. I did not know that it was a tradition. It just seems like kind of a silly thing. It's not like the wraiths are all that dangerous. At least when my Nords were sent to do something it was a challenge. On my Imperial and Breton, not so much. Of course it doesn't help that I never get to the war before level 30 or so (usually even higher) so, by that time wraiths are more like mosquitos than actual foes.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I can't disagree with that. It is one of my favorite lines used on non-Nords. I did not know that it was a tradition. It just seems like kind of a silly thing. It's not like the wraiths are all that dangerous. At least when my Nords were sent to do something it was a challenge. On my Imperial and Breton, not so much. Of course it doesn't help that I never get to the war before level 30 or so (usually even higher) so, by that time wraiths are more like mosquitos than actual foes.

It was an old tradition back in the day, but that was to claim citizen status.

The young men go out for weeks into the high peaks in the dead of winter, hunting the ice wraiths that give them claim to full status as citizens