Evolution vs Creationism Debate

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Evolution is a fact, that is repeatedly proven.

Many snakes have evidence of their evolution from lizards, some of them have tiny, clawed digits.

Dogs are another evidence of evolution, one that humans created through selective breeding of Gray Wolves. Even some breeds only appearing in the last few centuries. Thus creationism is destroyed by our ancestors.

That one noise that disturbs the majority of us, nails on the chalkboard, has such universal affects on humans. It's been discovered that noise is very similar in sound of a warning cry from a species of primate.

To deny evolution, is to deny something like gravity exists.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
But does it exist DUN DUN DUN!

Yeah I think it is silly when he have proof that a concept exists for so long yet we have to make a big to do over it.

Seeing how selective breeding has been a part of human culture for ever, domestic or otherwise. Hahaha I have to wonder, why is it so important? Does it matter beyond simple human curiosity?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
But does it exist DUN DUN DUN!

Yeah I think it is silly when he have proof that a concept exists for so long yet we have to make a big to do over it.

Seeing how selective breeding has been a part of human culture for ever, domestic or otherwise. Hahaha I have to wonder, why is it so important? Does it matter beyond simple human curiosity?

It's evolution, forced evolution however. It's important for those that go "If evolution is real, why doesn't a dog turn into a whale" or some plops like that.

Though interestingly, whales once walked on land. Though they were much smaller when on legs.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
Evolution is a fact, that is repeatedly proven.

Many snakes have evidence of their evolution from lizards, some of them have tiny, clawed digits.

Dogs are another evidence of evolution, one that humans created through selective breeding of Gray Wolves. Even some breeds only appearing in the last few centuries. Thus creationism is destroyed by our ancestors.

That one noise that disturbs the majority of us, nails on the chalkboard, has such universal affects on humans. It's been discovered that noise is very similar in sound of a warning cry from a species of primate.

To deny evolution, is to deny something like gravity exists.

Hold on na ~ Just because things evolve does not destroy creationism.

Think about it.

What creator who loved their creation would not give said creation the ability to adapt and change with it's surroundings?

Like when I write a program, I always check and make sure the program has robust error checking and as much 'ai' as I can possibly give it, based on the program's function. Just because the programs changes it's *colors* from one task to another does not mean that it had no creator.

If anything, Evolution PROVES Intelligence was at work behind Creationism. In other words, we were built to be able to withstand change.

Evolution and Creationism can go hand in hand when you consider this.

Just because something changes doesn't mean it wasn't created.
God makes all things possible for man over time.
And a day unto God is infinitely long time.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Which is the center of my own spiritual and religious beliefs. Someone should present this to religious people in a rational way that won't set them off. Because I hate (okay that is a lie) to admit it but religion is the main aggressor in this whole debate.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I just thought of a crazy idea that in a way supports both theories how Does this sound?

Ever thought God is the one that caused the Big bang (something must have caused it to happen) and in a way he did create the earth and the sun from a set chain of reactions from said BIG BANG ever thought he could even be like an ES god and not have a physical form at all? or something beyond Comprehension
or the one perceived as God could be some sort of Intelligent Matter like being and is that not how everything began as Matter? thus Matter formed and within Billions of years eventually life came to be and EVOLVED into what you see today and since matter eventually created man does that not mean man along with everything else originally began in his own image? how does that sound?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
What creator who loved their creation would not give said creation the ability to adapt and change with it's surroundings?

If anything, Evolution PROVES Intelligence was at work behind Creationism. In other words, we were built to be able to withstand change.

Evolution is the result of anomalies in DNA. It changes due to survival of the fittest, those that have the anomaly in their genetics end up doing better than those without. Pass their change to another, then it continues.

Except we humans weren't built to be able to withstand immediate change, we require certain things to be such a way for us to excel. What could be seen as a simple change, can tip scales in favor of another form of life. Then we die out. There were many other humanoids, 'mankind' as we know it, wasn't the only species. Just the others died out, be it natural or violence from us.

Natural evolution doesn't follow an intelligence. Our eyes were designed for underwater, which is why we have a liquid surrounding them. However, there are other species that evolved different and have much better sight than we do. Be it at night, or extremely long distances.

Majority of the time, evolution succeeding is due to an anomaly doing better. Or a drastic change on our planet happens, and things die out and another takes it's place as dominant. There are times where an anomaly causes problems, instead of solutions, however.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
how does that sound?

After our planet has suffered five mass extinctions where at times 90% of all life has died... I'm not sure I would like to think an intelligence was at work for that.

Like how certain religious people say "God creating Earth doesn't mean he did it in seven days, it could be seven days to him but billions of years for us."

So does God gets really bored every couple of days. Decides to go "Ah bullplops!" and scorches the planet to try again?

If so, God and I share the same way of thinking. Except I'd be playing a game like Sim City.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
how does that sound?

After our planet has suffered five mass extinctions where at times 90% of all life has died... I'm not sure I would like to think an intelligence was at work for that.

Like how certain religious people say "God creating Earth doesn't mean he did it in seven days, it could be seven days to him but billions of years for us."

So does God gets really bored every couple of days. Decides to go "Ah bullpl***!" and scorches the planet to try again?

If so, God and I share the same way of thinking. Except I'd be playing a game like Sim City.
I never said he was in control of everything did I things do go astray like an asteroid or 2

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Evolution is no evidence of intelligent design. Nor does it prove there isn't a God. Evolution is an independent fact; God could be behind it or he couldn't.
The reasoning is often: God created everything > he created evolution. But 'God created everything' is part of the claim. Using that logic, you could also say: The Egyptian divines created everything > they created evolution. So that doesn't work.

However, I do understand why people feel that way. I also think it is a rather progressive way of thinking that embraces science and knowledge - which is good.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Do I dare? I know I shouldn't, but it's so tempting. . .

There are so many misconceptions about "us" Bible-thumpers flying around in this thread it's hard to go more than a couple posts without running into at least a couple.

The first I'd like to dispel is our supposed dislike of science. I love science. I think it's a great tool that helps us understand the intricacies of the universe around us. And that only makes me more awestruck by God's awesomeness (is that too much awe in one sentence? I thought about trying to work in awful but it was too much thought required). But science is limited.

The Scientific Method, on which all science is based, requires observable and repeatable experimentation. The problem with "Evolution" is that due to the extreme lengths of time postulated it is neither observable nor repeatable. Instead, "evidence" must be used and interpreted to arrive at the current "accepted" version of evolution. So the entire dispute is not over science but over the "evidence". I say the evidence points to one thing you say it points to another. Who is right? We can't prove anything either way.

How many times has the theory been modified to fit the evidence? Anyone remember the Brontosaurus? Alas, I knew him well. . .and then he disappeared; a fatality of incorrect bone association.

The heart of the issue is that science cannot, and was never designed to, account for the miraculous. Science seeks a naturalistic answer to every question even if a "divine" answer is available. Sometimes this is a good thing driving past a simplistic explanation to a greater understanding and sometimes (IMO) it leads to an incorrect conclusion.

Finally, regarding the topic of teaching intelligent design in schools. . .
The term intelligent design is religion-generic. It doesn't teach a specific religious viewpoint. Instead it teaches the interpretation of the "evidences" that points toward a creator (it does not define who that creator is). It teaches the holes that evolution currently has. It teaches an alternate viewpoint, explaining to children that evolution is hardly settled science rather than an unchallengeable monolith. When science claims to be unchallengeable it is no longer science (even Newton's "Laws" were superseded by Einstein's Special Relativity).

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Do I dare? I know I shouldn't, but it's so tempting. . .

There are so many misconceptions about "us" Bible-thumpers flying around in this thread it's hard to go more than a couple posts without running into at least a couple.
The thread has been friendly so far. I think most of us are not extreme in whatever views we hold. Didn't see a single person so far who did not believe in science. :)

The first I'd like to dispel is our supposed dislike of science. I love science. I think it's a great tool that helps us understand the intricacies of the universe around us.
I agree there, and I don't think all religious people 'dislike' science. But you have to understand how this thread initially started: there was Bill Nye, the scientist - and Ken Ham, the creationist. Both of them represented a very black and white point of view. Hence the name of the debate: 'science vs creationism'. It implies that one will eliminate the other.
So what I think people have been doing, is attacking extremism. The biggest chunk of the arguments here against religion were directed towards extremely religious people.

And that only makes me more awestruck by God's awesomeness (is that too much awe in one sentence? I thought about trying to work in awful but it was too much thought required). But science is limited.
Science is limited. But that is because we as a species are limited. We learn new things everyday, look back and correct our mistakes. We don't have all the answers yet, and probably never will. I can't imagine we as a species are going to be around long enough to eventually 'know' everything.

The Scientific Method, on which all science is based, requires observable and repeatable experimentation. The problem with "Evolution" is that due to the extreme lengths of time postulated it is neither observable nor repeatable.
Actually, evolution is a fact. We can observe it. You see, there are animals with a very short life span (fruit flies, for instance) that live so briefly we can actually observe them evolving. And of course there is natural adaption, which is only a small chain of evolution.
Thousands of years ago, during the Ice Age, there were brown bears who tried to hunt their preys in the snow. Obviously, they failed - because it was too easy to spot them. There were also bears with a lighter skin color. Those succeeded more often, and lived longer. So did their offspring. This is how, eventually, polar bears came in existence. It's actually very logical. We all inherit stuff from our ancestors, and in nature the animals who inherited 'weak' characteristics die. The survivors procreate and their offspring will inherit the winning characteristics. Give this a few million years and over time bigger changes will be noticeable.

Instead, "evidence" must be used and interpreted to arrive at the current "accepted" version of evolution. So the entire dispute is not over science but over the "evidence". I say the evidence points to one thing you say it points to another. Who is right? We can't prove anything either way.
Actually, we can. And I might not be able to prove it to you, since I am no biologist. But the evidence is overwhelming. You can decide not to 'believe' something which is considered to be a fact - but that doesn't make it less true. It's like Neil Tyson said:
BieCCAkCMAAkqMr.jpg

How many times has the theory been modified to fit the evidence?
Not once. Maybe by a few individuals, but here's the thing: no one has a monopoly on a specific scientific area. So if you decide to change your evidence, another scientist in Australia, or Asia, or Europe, or the USA will prove you wrong.
Science is based on making mistakes, and learning from those mistakes. Did we learn something new? Good, then let's take a look at our previous experiences and test them again. Who knows what we'll find this time.
If you can prove the theory of evolution wrong, you'd be a hero. You would be rewarded with prizes and you'd get a respected place in the history books. Your name will be on the same list with Newton and Einstein. Science encourages you to discover new things. If you think you have something important to say, go ahead and write that essay.

Anyone remember the Brontosaurus? Alas, I knew him well. . .and then he disappeared; a fatality of incorrect bone association.

The heart of the issue is that science cannot, and was never designed to, account for the miraculous. Science seeks a naturalistic answer to every question even if a "divine" answer is available. Sometimes this is a good thing driving past a simplistic explanation to a greater understanding and sometimes (IMO) it leads to an incorrect conclusion.
That's a good thing. I think science should always seek naturalistic answers, because that's what science is all about. You see; 300 years ago a person who was ill was being told that he was possessed by a demon. If science accepted that 'miracle' back then, no one would know about bacteria and viruses nowadays. That's the point. 'Miracles' are things that happen and that we cannot explain. Science will try to seek a natural answer, and many times they won't find that answer. Either because technology is not advanced enough, or because of other reasons. But filling in empty gaps with religion is not what science does.

I do think there's more going on between heaven and earth. It's just a gut feeling. It could be the God you believe in - it could be the Gods of the Egyptian pantheon. There are questions science cannot answer. And if you give it the time, some questions will be answered in the future. And some won't ever be answered.

Finally, regarding the topic of teaching intelligent design in schools. . .
The term intelligent design is religion-generic. It doesn't teach a specific religious viewpoint. Instead it teaches the interpretation of the "evidences" that points toward a creator (it does not define who that creator is). It teaches the holes that evolution currently has. It teaches an alternate viewpoint, explaining to children that evolution is hardly settled science rather than an unchallengeable monolith. When science claims to be unchallengeable it is no longer science (even Newton's "Laws" were superseded by Einstein's Special Relativity).

Science has never ever claimed to be unchallengeable. If it did, it wouldn't be at the point where we are nowadays. Because challenging is exactly what science does. It keeps testing things and it keeps looking back and forth to see if there are errors made in the past. They are not embarrassed to admit they were wrong.
Evolution doesn't have 'holes' in the way that it has arguments against it. However, there are things that they cannot explain yet. But those are blanc and neutral areas. And neutrality is not a negative, therefor not evidence against evolution.

Most Christians I know believe in the Big Bang and evolution. They just think God put it in motion. This is a mentality which allows science and religion to work together. But the 'earth is 6000 year old' theory, has been proven wrong. Just proven wrong. That is no evidence against God, but it is evidence that the earth is older than 6000 years. We know that.

Oh, btw. Figured you're interested in this. I found this recently in a book.
BiNtT1UCUAEr2Qb.jpg

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
How many times has the theory been modified to fit the evidence? Anyone remember the Brontosaurus? Alas, I knew him well. . .and then he disappeared; a fatality of incorrect bone association.

The 'Brontosaurus' which was corrected in 1903. But remained long after science had re-classified the specimen. Brontosaurus appeared in 1879, it was indeed a distinct species, just had overlooked similarities.

It's located under the Apatosaurus genus, called 'Apatosaurus excelsus'

It remains around more in public culture, than anything else. Due to a silent film in 1925, and the U.S Post Office in 1989.

Other than that, I don't believe the U.S Post Office is the authority of scientific classification. Or evidence against evolution, since the dinosaur is still there. Just has fallen under another genus.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
The first I'd like to dispel is our supposed dislike of science. I love science. I think it's a great tool that helps us understand the intricacies of the universe around us.
I agree there, and I don't think all religious people 'dislike' science. But you have to understand how this thread initially started: there was Bill Nye, the scientist - and Ken Ham, the creationist. Both of them represented a very black and white point of view. Hence the name of the debate: 'science vs creationism'. It implies that one will eliminate the other.
So what I think people have been doing, is attacking extremism. The biggest chunk of the arguments here against religion were directed towards extremely religious people.
Some might consider me an "extremely religious person." It really depends on how you define that. Regardless, the name of the debate was "Evolution vs Creationism" not "Science vs Creationism". Big difference. I don't see science and creationism as being mutually exclusive.

Actually, evolution is a fact. We can observe it. You see, there are animals with a very short life span (fruit flies, for instance) that live so briefly we can actually observe them evolving. And of course there is natural adaption, which is only a small chain of evolution.
I'm quite aware of these experiments. However, there have never been observed mutations where additional genetic material has been added. Even in the small number of mutations that result in an advantage (the majority result in a disadvantage or death) there is loss of genetic information. In other words, how did a microbe work it's way up to the information required to make a man? Did the first life-form start with all the genetic information required to create every life form?

Thousands of years ago, during the Ice Age, there were brown bears who tried to hunt their preys in the snow. Obviously, they failed - because it was too easy to spot them. There were also bears with a lighter skin color. Those succeeded more often, and lived longer. So did their offspring. This is how, eventually, polar bears came in existence. It's actually very logical. We all inherit stuff from our ancestors, and in nature the animals who inherited 'weak' characteristics die. The survivors procreate and their offspring will inherit the winning characteristics. Give this a few million years and over time bigger changes will be noticeable.
All examples of mutation. I have no objections to mutations.

Instead, "evidence" must be used and interpreted to arrive at the current "accepted" version of evolution. So the entire dispute is not over science but over the "evidence". I say the evidence points to one thing you say it points to another. Who is right? We can't prove anything either way.
Actually, we can. And I might not be able to prove it to you, since I am no biologist. But the evidence is overwhelming. You can decide not to 'believe' something which is considered to be a fact - but that doesn't make it less true.
Perhaps the issue is one of terms? Molecules-to-man evolution has not been proven. That is the evolution I dispute.

And I counter with: just because something is considered "fact" doesn't necessarily make it so. Newton's laws were considered fact until Einstein "fixed" them.

How many times has the theory been modified to fit the evidence?
Not once
Eh? The theory has been in a constant state of change. First it was a gradual change then it was periods of explosive change. So on and so forth. Sure, the general idea has remained fairly stable since inception, but the mechanics are changing all the time.

If you can prove the theory of evolution wrong, you'd be a hero. You would be rewarded with prizes and you'd get a respected place in the history books. Your name will be on the same list with Newton and Einstein. Science encourages you to discover new things. If you think you have something important to say, go ahead and write that essay.
Amusing. I would never bother. I don't seek to disprove it in this thread. Instead, I hope to point out that there are some glaring issues with it as it stands now.

Science has never ever claimed to be unchallengeable. If it did, it wouldn't be at the point where we are nowadays. Because challenging is exactly what science does. It keeps testing things and it keeps looking back and forth to see if there are errors made in the past. They are not embarrassed to admit they were wrong.
Then why are opposing viewpoints squashed without discussion? If you can't rule out intelligent design why is it dismissed as invalid?

Evolution doesn't have 'holes' in the way that it has arguments against it. However, there are things that they cannot explain yet. But those are blanc and neutral areas. And neutrality is not a negative, therefor not evidence against evolution.
I think you may be skewing this a bit toward your position (which I would expect either of us to do - we aren't capable of objectivity). I argue that the same evidence you use to support evolution is used to support creationism, you just disagree with the conclusions and therefore throw it out as invalid.

Most Christians I know believe in the Big Bang and evolution. They just think God put it in motion. This is a mentality which allows science and religion to work together. But the 'earth is 6000 year old' theory, has been proven wrong. Just proven wrong. That is no evidence against God, but it is evidence that the earth is older than 6000 years. We know that.
Well now you know one nut job who believes the Earth is ~6000 years old. As for it being proven wrong, I wouldn't be so sure.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze

The 'Brontosaurus' which was corrected in 1903. But remained long after science had re-classified the specimen. Brontosaurus appeared in 1879, it was indeed a distinct species, just had overlooked similarities.

It's located under the Apatosaurus genus, called 'Apatosaurus excelsus'

It remains around more in public culture, than anything else. Due to a silent film in 1925, and the U.S Post Office in 1989.

Other than that, I don't believe the U.S Post Office is the authority of scientific classification. Or evidence against evolution, since the dinosaur is still there. Just has fallen under another genus.
Except I was taught about them in school. . .Curse you public school system!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts