• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
After not playing Skyrim (or any games for that matter) for about a year, I finally got around to buying a new monitor last week - an ROG Swift PG279Q - and of course the first thing I did with it was download the Skyrim Special Edition and start a new play through.

While there are ups and downs with the Special Edition, overall I think it has greatly enhanced the visual experience of the game (complemented in no small part I'm sure by this ridiculous monitor). I played for about 24 hours in total over the weekend (my girlfriend was away!) and on many occasions while wandering across Skyrim I was gobsmacked by the view and had to stop to take it all in.

I love that the game is still giving me these wow moments. However my original wow moment was when I discovered Blackreach for the first time. This was the first TES game I ever played and that moment has stuck with me more than any other in my gaming life (closely followed by arriving in Rapture in Bioshock).

So during my marathon session this weekend I inevitably ended up in Blackreach and it still blows me away. Obviously it's not possible to replicate that sensation of experiencing it for the first time, but it's remarkable to think that 5 years on it still has such an impact.

Last edited:

Skyrue

The bethesda screen, or the sound of it, can really turn me on if i haven't played for a while :D:D

Entering Sovngarde is also a good wow moment.

Oh, and I also really like the call of the greybeards too. With every play-through, I always make sure I take a moment to appreciate it's grandness.

Last edited:

Grungethefallen

Princess_Nek0xna
I remember being wow'ed by the elder scroll when seeing the vision through it and then the slow motion killing in the game when i first started playing it.

trunkynugget

I'm only a couple hours in, but so far I've been wowed by how much dialogue there seems to be, yet how all of it appears to be voice acted. I don't see this often in games of this scale and to me, that shows just how much effort was put into making this game special. Idk if this counts really but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Man I kinda envy first time players. I was blown away by just about everything for the first time. Had a mage wood elf with some sword skills. I remember the first time I used bound sword and even now still looks dope but seeing it for the first time. Looking all etheral and the wind sound it gave off. Then there was the fire magic. Flames was just awesome. I mean I felt like The Human Torch. :D Now I still come across easter eggs that I haven't spoiled for myself. The Donkey Kong one tripped me out and the 3 Billy Goats Gruff was a serious wow moment for me. :)

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

trunkynugget

That's a good point! I've always believed that your first experience with something is usually the best, just because of the magical feeling you get from doing something for the first time. I honestly wish I could forget all my favourite games just so I could experience them all again for the first time.

Davimiir

Yol Toor Shul!!!
I was once passing through the snowy northern region from the rocky pass on my way to the college. As I passed over the first crest I could see several ugly trolls wondering the path ahead. Suddenly, a 'random' blood dragon swooped down with it's usual awsomeness and began attacking all the trolls-of course I joined in! After 10-15 minutes of running around beating up trolls with my new friend without him getting grumpy with me I said: WOW!!!!! hehehe

Since limiting my fast travel I have had a couple in my new low level sneak archer argonian thief.

Here it goes... The tales of Gam-Jee.
Gam-Jee was fleeing from cyrodial after being caught trying to steal the countess' ring. After having escaped helgen (near death one) He decided to go to rifted to lay low since there were argonian dock workers there. He found a cave known as greywinter watch. I knew what lied within but Gam-Jee had no idea that 4 hungry trolls were waiting to chew his tasty scales. He found blood everywhere and shot the first troll then he was overcome by 2 then three then he angered a 4th he ran into a room with a chest. To his surprise it was a no more that 1 square foot room with one skinny entrance. One way in and the same way out. Now to wait... He hid behind a rock until the first troll came in... He ran for it the troll blocked him and smacked him up against the wall. He hid behind another rock. More waiting... The troll moved... He ran and tried to activate histskin but he could he used all of his power only hours before. One troll moved out of the narrow hallway as the clever argonian made it out and ran fast enough that his tail was flying. He quickly looted the boss chest and promptly left the cave. Tired and with adrenaline flowing from his new found life of adventure he continued... (second wow) The next day he was half way to riften. A giants boss chest was too tempting for the argonian thief and he ran and looted it despite the 2 giants... As they chased him he did the only thing he could do... RUUUNNN... he could feel the ground shaking beneath his scaly feet as the giants were close enough that he almost stumbled and fell do to the ground shaking... By nocturnal... A cave. He darted in the cave (third wow) He walked into a peaceful cave... No enemies... No bandits... No spiders, trolls, bears, saber cats, and the giant was too large to follow him. There was a giant tree growing from the light shining through the cave and there were streams all around him. He met a man who told him he was here to bask in the beauty. He asked a woman where he was and she said the eldergleam sanctuary she told him the story of the tree. She said he looked like he could use some rest... She had no idea... He looked around for a couple of hours and he left... "back to the hectic life of a runaway thief and adventurer" he thought. (Wow 2) Not an hour later he found himself between 2 saber cats. Fighting was useless so he ran to a giant who was sad about his dead mammoth. The giant killed the cats and the argonian carried on...

Funnest character ever...

Since limiting my fast travel I have had a couple in my new low level sneak archer argonian thief.

Here it goes... The tales of Gam-Jee.
Gam-Jee was fleeing from cyrodial after being caught trying to steal the countess' ring. After having escaped helgen (near death one) He decided to go to rifted to lay low since there were argonian dock workers there. He found a cave known as greywinter watch. I knew what lied within but Gam-Jee had no idea that 4 hungry trolls were waiting to chew his tasty scales. He found blood everywhere and shot the first troll then he was overcome by 2 then three then he angered a 4th he ran into a room with a chest. To his surprise it was a no more that 1 square foot room with one skinny entrance. One way in and the same way out. Now to wait... He hid behind a rock until the first troll came in... He ran for it the troll blocked him and smacked him up against the wall. He hid behind another rock. More waiting... The troll moved... He ran and tried to activate histskin but he could he used all of his power only hours before. One troll moved out of the narrow hallway as the clever argonian made it out and ran fast enough that his tail was flying. He quickly looted the boss chest and promptly left the cave. Tired and with adrenaline flowing from his new found life of adventure he continued... (second wow) The next day he was half way to riften. A giants boss chest was too tempting for the argonian thief and he ran and looted it despite the 2 giants... As they chased him he did the only thing he could do... RUUUNNN... he could feel the ground shaking beneath his scaly feet as the giants were close enough that he almost stumbled and fell do to the ground shaking... By nocturnal... A cave. He darted in the cave (third wow) He walked into a peaceful cave... No enemies... No bandits... No spiders, trolls, bears, saber cats, and the giant was too large to follow him. There was a giant tree growing from the light shining through the cave and there were streams all around him. He met a man who told him he was here to bask in the beauty. He asked a woman where he was and she said the eldergleam sanctuary she told him the story of the tree. She said he looked like he could use some rest... She had no idea... He looked around for a couple of hours and he left... "back to the hectic life of a runaway thief and adventurer" he thought. (Wow 2) Not an hour later he found himself between 2 saber cats. Fighting was useless so he ran to a giant who was sad about his dead mammoth. The giant killed the cats and the argonian carried on...

Funnest character ever...

The troll thing was actually in darkshade not greywinter. I may start over as a khajiit because I can't decide witch is my favorite.

Grok'nar

Opened a door in a dungeon I was clearing out and there was a bandit in there, he says to me " I'm going to bury you! " as I slaughter him with no hesitation. I go to loot his body and he had a shovel on him. Either major coincidence or there's to much detail in this game

Grishnag

I was wowed by all the unimportant details and activities that made Skyrim seem more alive than anything I ever experienced .

That's a good point! I've always believed that your first experience with something is usually the best, just because of the magical feeling you get from doing something for the first time. I honestly wish I could forget all my favourite games just so I could experience them all again for the first time.

Agreed! Skyrim in general blew me away when I first played it but particularly entering Blackreach for the first time. The only comparable experience for me was arriving in Rapture when playing BioShock for the first time. Incidentally I just finished only my second ever play through of BioShock yesterday, having been nearly 6 years from my first play through. It still blew my mind, particularly given the amount of time since playing it first, but I would still love to be able to replicate that feeling of playing it for the first time and having no idea what to expect from it.

I wonder if there was some way you could hypnotize yourself to forget everything about these games so you could play them again as if for the first time...

kurczakosy

I'm new to this entirely so the whole game has been one big wow moment XD

But...If I had to choose it would be this. Had just gotten out of saarthal during one of the Mage school quests, and was heading back to the college. Thought since I had killed the wolves in the area on the way in I wouldn't have any problems. And there lies the issue. 3 ice wolves ambushed me, without so much as a howl to let me know they were there. And by murphy's law there would have to be a vampire that followed the wolves. I ran, of course. Too many monsters...the three wolves attack at once, and my currently lowish health bar shrank. I started to try and take out the wolves, chugged a potion, and then the vampire commited himself to the fight. It was at this focal point of murphy's law that the dragon roared.

He appeared right overhead as soon as the vampire stabbed me, and all I was thinking was "screw you too! Come get some!" I aimed a shout directly overhead and he came down, killed the wolves, flew up and back down next to the vampire, and frosted him as well.

So I'm standing there, ready for my untimely death, and there he goes off into the snowstorm. Buwaaah? Dragon swooped down to save my butt? Anyone had anything similar happen?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts