• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Favorite?

• Total voters

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
What is your favorite race and why?

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Argonian.

Enigmatic, intelligent, and generally awesome and badass.

My second favorite would be the Orcs. They are simply badass sons of bitches.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
My favorite is the Orcs, they're just plain awesome. I love all the lore surrounding their culture and traditions, and the fact their Strongholds are near impossible to remove.

"Maybe they welcome you. Maybe they put an arrow in your face. Who knows?"

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Are we at this again? I almost always play a Nord (no particular reason, I just like pretty people that look like me), but my next build will be an Altmer or a Breton. I've tried playing Argo and Khajit, but the RP on them is just too hard. Bosmer's okay too, especially if you're playing a Legolas-like character.

I don't think I have a favorite. Just a go-to.

Herlik

Used to be a High Elf.

Switched to a Nord.

Financially stable ever since.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Twiffle

This is a real question, it does all depend IMHO, in what your looking for in the game and the story you surround yourself with for the character. But putting all that aside my favorite has to be either a High Elf or Breton for mage and an Orc for warrior with dark elf for anything else.

However, , i do like to go against the grain on builds, i just think it adds to the fun, I have made a pure Orc mage in the past and to be honest after about level 35 ish there aint much difference, and ive also played a High elf 2handed warrior with no magic, took her to lever 62 and was great fun.

There are a couple of races i just cannot stand playing, , its nothing against the talents of them, its just i play in 3rd person and they are Argonian or Khajit, , its the bloody tail swaying, drives me absolutely insane, side to side to side, , aarrrggggg, how on earth do they put that Daedric armor on with the special ''Apendage hole'' for them, , :D

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
This is a real question, it does all depend IMHO, in what your looking for in the game and the story you surround yourself with for the character. But putting all that aside my favorite has to be either a High Elf or Breton for mage and an Orc for warrior with dark elf for anything else.

However, , i do like to go against the grain on builds, i just think it adds to the fun, I have made a pure Orc mage in the past and to be honest after about level 35 ish there aint much difference, and ive also played a High elf 2handed warrior with no magic, took her to lever 62 and was great fun.

There are a couple of races i just cannot stand playing, , its nothing against the talents of them, its just i play in 3rd person and they are Argonian or Khajit, , its the bloody tail swaying, drives me absolutely insane, side to side to side, , aarrrggggg, how on earth do they put that Daedric armor on with the special ''Apendage hole'' for them, , :D
And I love that the tail keeps wagging long after you're dead too. It's just creepy.

Twiffle

And I love that the tail keeps wagging long after you're dead too. It's just creepy.

Yeh i know what you mean,, ever noticed how the tails of the dead in Fellglow Keep, (mages quest) are always slowly swaying, even though they are dead on a table,, creeps me out, , , shivvvvers,

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Argonian. I'm not an RP'r and I once I get playing I don't care much which race I am, so for gameplay purposes I'll go with argonian because of the histskin ability which is extremely powerful.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Favorite to play is Nord. It has more to do with the visual options than anything.

However, I love the way the Khajiit talk.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Nord. Then Orc. I still haven't made an Orc character that has reached the levels I would want. To be fair, I think my main character is only in her 40s... maybe 50s. Still, I want an Orc that gets up there. Obviously, I prefer the warrior races. Beyond playstyle, I like the Nord culture. Orcs are really interesting and I feel like they don't get enough love. Yeah, they're ugly and sure, they're different...but that's their charm.

I really, really want to play Argonian, but like Twiffle, I can't get past the tail. I don't like it swaying behind my heavily armored self. Shouldn't it have SOME armor on it? Even just a few little armor plates or something. I played a Khajiit spellsword for a few levels and enjoyed it, but the tail. I would probably love Argonians, though. One day.

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
Khajiit, since for me nothing beats running around looking like a Bengal tiger. I have a hard time picturing one as Dragonborn though so I usually roleplay with Nords.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
So far I have played Nord, Imperial, Khajiit, Bosmer, Redguard and Breton. I don't really have a "Favourite", but my very first character, a Khajiit always brings back fond memories for me. I in no way RP'd her though. This was before I knew about Rp'ing and such..

While I don't really like the Nord racism against other races, I do tend to play more Nords simply for the fact that they have the frost resist and then I can wear fire resist gear and I am anti-freeze and inflammable.

Been thinking about my next male character being an Orc.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
It doesn't just have to be play-style, but lore surrounding their culture. Whatever you find cool, interesting etc.

Aldmereth

the Altmer
I'll have to agree with the above post. I definitely prefer the Altmer. I always have since I was a kid playing Morrowind. Something just touched me about a tall, sophisticated, golden skinned Elf.

And now with the events of Skyrim it only makes the Altmer race and their history/culture more interesting (for me anyways! :p)

AS88

Staff member
I've been trying to give this a lot of thought, but I can't come to a conclusion. I've played every race for at least one playthrough, and love them all for different reasons. I'll give a couple of pros/cons for each race and see if it helps me or others make a decision.

Altmer -
I love these guys' magical ability and their air of grace, and there's a lot of mystery about their recent history and room for interesting backstories. Their size makes them imposing warriors which can be even more intimidating when using magic along with steel.

Their airs and graces do sometimes make them feel a little cold and tough to connect with, though, and it's tough to RP an Altmer from Alinor due to lack of current lore on the area, so choices can be limited to growing up or living elsewhere. A lot of people seem to find it difficult to distance them from the Thalmor in one way or another (either being a member/ex-member or having some family tragedy related to them).

Argonian -
Members and characters of mine of this race often have an interesting sinister mystery about them. Due to this they make great rogues and assassins, especially with their skills, but also make great warriors or mages. I love their history and their quiet ambition, particularly against the Dunmer and Argonians have been some of my most interesting characters to play and write about.

The tail. I have found a mod which hides tails on the beast races. I shall have it. Also, they're a little conspicuous in the bright nights of Skyrim, especially when passing by guards in walled cities. "The Argonian did it" doesn't leave a character with much room to blend in and slip away. But darker nights is another thing that can be modified, when PC time comes.

Bosmer -
I'm a big fan of archery, and Bosmer can really give you that David v Goliath feeling when you take down a group of big bandits plated in armour. They also make really good nightblades, too, if you choose to ignore archery for roleplay or backstory reasons. They can blend into a crowd well yet still maintain that feeling of being in an unfamiliar land, which can be really valuable for character interaction. Also, the Green Pact stuff is a really interesting topic for Bosmer characters to have a take on.

The lack of height is part of their character, but I'm fairly tall and find it hard to play a short character. When I take the time to really RP one though, I don't think it'll bother me like it has in the past.

Breton -
These guys can do so much, and I often choose them for my more unusual builds, eg witch-hunters, priests, etc. I really like their intelligence and scope for different characters, though, and they also make pretty convincing Dovahkiin. The magic resist stuff is pretty useful, too. They also seem to be closest to Brits, with a lot of Breton NPCs being voiced be Englishmen. The connection with the Reachmen is interesting, too.

Again, these guys are tiny, so the tall, dark and handsome rogues that I'd like to play as a Breton can be tough (although - it'll be something I can remedy with showracemenu ;))

Dunmer -
Similar to Bretons in that they are so versatile, in fact probably the most versatile, and Dunmer are probably one of the more straight-up badass races. Capable of being high-powered battlemages, or deadly assassins they offer a range of options well-suited to them. They've got a great history, too, which allows for some really interesting backstory development. There's also an interesting side story with their plight following the eruption, and their situation in Windhelm.

I'm always tempted to make evil characters with Dunmer, but I've made good ones in the past. One of my only issues with these guys is that I struggle to choose how I want to play them!

Imperial -
Again, versatility is one of my favourite characteristics when thinking of Imperials. One of my favourite characters, and one I always have saved, is an Imperial rogue, with archery, one-handed, sneak, block, light armour and speech, but I've played more Imperials than I could count. They make decent Dovahkiin, too, and have a lot of history and lore for us to create interesting characters with.

They can be a little... mehh, at times. That's my only complaint.

Khajiit -
This one loves Khajiit. Intelligent, mysterious, stealthy, they make excellent thieves and bandits, and I still remember really regretting deleting my first Khajiit, a black level 47 badass in Nightingale gear, roughly two years ago. I love how they're capable of being jolly and carefree, or dark and sinister.

Again, the tail. I also find it quite hard to RP Khajiit because they are so different. The whole 'are Khajiit allowed in cities' thing weighs on my mind at times, too, so I tend to only have them play in unwalled cities unless I have a reason for them to be allowed in.

Nord -
Skyrim is my first TES game, so I obviously have a soft spot for these oafs. I really like the history and variety in this race, and the game provides so many sources of information and inspiration to create a really interesting character (or 20). I've played more Nords than anything else, probably more than Khajiit, Bosmer and Argonian put together, but I love them. They resonate with a lot of my approaches, and remind me of my dad's quite traditional views on honour and respect.

I can't really think of any negatives for Nords. There is something for everyone with these guys, with Skyrim being their home province. I'd probably have to name Nords my favourite.

Orsimer -
I love these badasses. There are no finer warriors or barbarians in the game, but they lend themselves well to other styles, too. I once had a great deal of fun with an Orc assassin, who used a hammer and Berserker Rage to bludgeon targets to death from stealth. Now that was a mean dude. I like to play Orc paladins, too, and give them a sense of honour and righteousness, which is fun when you're playing a kill-happy race. They're really great for revenge stories, too.

It's easy to pigeonhole this race into playing warriors, and I sometimes find it hard to really get into a RP with an Orc that's not a stabber, slasher or crusher in one way or another.

Redguard -
Again, very interesting history and culture, with lots of scope for backstory and RPing. I love sword combat, so this suits playing a Redguard perfectly, as well as their willingness to use certain magic. Unarmoured swordsmen are my chosen playstyle for this race, which I really enjoy.

The only downside I see with Redguards are that they are, like the Imperials, a little boring. There aren't many Redguards in the game with real character or anything particularly interesting to say. Isran is one of the more interesting Redguards, but he plays a fairly generic role.

Following this, I'm going to vote Nord.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Gotta show Redguard some love. I love tales of warriors from ancient Yokuda. Probably the Asian historical influences more than anything, primarily Samurai era Japan. I've always found that fascinating.

I love how as a people they will put it all on the line when the decide to do battle.

I would put Orcs second for similar warrior reasons as well as their strongly held cultural beliefs and the importance placed on the bonds of kinship.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I completely agree with AS88 on the Argonians. Except for what he said about the tail. The tail is such a distinctive part of an Argonian, I would never use a mod that hid it. In fact, I have the Cloaks of Skyrim mod installed, but my Argonian characters still won't wear cloaks because it hides their tails. And I wanna see the tail. It's part of the reason why I like Argonians so much.

After all the praise I've showered on the Saxhleel, I must bring up something. I absolutely cannot stand how a female Argonian looks. A lizard-like head and tail combined with a humanlike torso, breasts and all. That has got to be one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen in a video game. Why did Bethesda feel the need to give mammaries to a reptilian/amphibian race? It makes no sense, and looks ridiculous and ugly and everything in between.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts