You never forget your first time...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SukieK

And no, i am not referring to the first time you had sex! Though i have to admit, that IS an experience you usually recall for the rest of your life, unfortunately. But no, i am referring to the FIRST time you were lucky enough to experience a TES game...

I will never ever forgot the first time i played Oblivion... It was as though i had stepped into an alternate universe and all my troubles and concerns had faded away and i was engulfed in a world so wonderful that i did not want to leave! Oblivion started my journey into the world of Planet Nirn, and i have never looked back! Some days i wish i could hit ERASE on my memories of it, so that i could do it all over again. I remember being amazed by how you could LITERALLY go where ever you could physically SEE. If you could see it, you could go there... It was astounding!

Now that Skyrim is here, i have been absorbed even further. In my own personal life i have a strong affinity to everything Norse... So this one is close to my heart!

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
My first experience with TES was with Morrowind. However, I found it hard to get into the game and immerse myself, so I quit after a few hours of playing. Fast forward a few years and out came Oblivion. And that changed everything. I felt the exact same suspension of disbelief and immersion that you described, like I had literally stepped through a portal into another world. It boggled my mind how huge and detailed the world was. It was a captivating, enchanting experience that ate up hours of my time every single day for many months. Skyrim was a great experience too, but somehow failed to capture the same degree of immersion that its predecessor had done.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Morrowind was my first experience a mate got me into it then I bought it myself and really started to enjoy it many hours were spent playing that game instead of revising for my exams. There was nothing else like it at the time such a huge open world that didn't hold your hand it was brutal to begin with but the more you played the better it got for me.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
For me it was Redguard. Then, I was given a copy of Morrowind. THAT was to me the best experience of my whole TES career. Even to this day, that game is the defining experience for me in a Bethesda game. Oblivion and Skyrim, while great games no doubt, were just not in the same league. The complexity and longevity of Morrowind stands up even by todays standards. If you can get past the dated graphics, and just lose yourself in the story-driven quests and factions...you won't be at all disappointed. Add to the fact you can get the whole GOTY edition w/all expansions for as little as $10.00 and you can't go wrong.

Dallas-Arbiter

I started with Oblivion. At the time I had just gotten a PS3, you know, back when they were $600. I had never played an RPG before, but this one guy at work had bought it, and told me all about it, and mentioned it was too long for him. I bought it from him barely used for 30 bucks.

I looked at the back of the box, and thought that it might be cool. When I got home with it, I put it in the PS3, made a terrible sickly looking character, and began playing. At first I thought it was hokey, goblins and such, but it had Capt. Picard in it!

But then I made it out of the sewer, and I couldn't believe how awesome it looked. I had never seen anything like that before. Then the little suggestion box popped up, telling me to go to Chorrol, or not, so I picked not.

Over the course of the next few hours, I was bitten by a vampire, got lost in a cave, stole a diamond, stole 2 horses, killed a bunch of Daedra worshipers accidentally, and got lost on the way from Chorrol to Kvatch. Then finally when I got to Kvatch, I went into the Oblivion gate, and got wiped out by the very first daedra I saw. So I started over.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I first played Oblivion.

This was my reaction:

"What the fluff is that, who the fluff is this, oh plops i got a sword oh i just fluffed that dude up HOLY fluff THATS A GIANT ASS RAT"

Love at first sight <3

Clau

The Fateless One
Started with Morrowind but could not grasp the concept of RPG at that time as it was very different from the FPS games that I was playing. Oblivion in my brother's Xbox 360 got me hooked with the TES franchise.

SukieK

My first experience with TES was with Morrowind. However, I found it hard to get into the game and immerse myself, so I quit after a few hours of playing. Fast forward a few years and out came Oblivion. And that changed everything. I felt the exact same suspension of disbelief and immersion that you described, like I had literally stepped through a portal into another world. It boggled my mind how huge and detailed the world was. It was a captivating, enchanting experience that ate up hours of my time every single day for many months. Skyrim was a great experience too, but somehow failed to capture the same degree of immersion that its predecessor had done.

This has been my exact experience! I was spoiled by Oblivion....

SukieK

I started with Oblivion. At the time I had just gotten a PS3, you know, back when they were $600. I had never played an RPG before, but this one guy at work had bought it, and told me all about it, and mentioned it was too long for him. I bought it from him barely used for 30 bucks.

I looked at the back of the box, and thought that it might be cool. When I got home with it, I put it in the PS3, made a terrible sickly looking character, and began playing. At first I thought it was hokey, goblins and such, but it had Capt. Picard in it!

But then I made it out of the sewer, and I couldn't believe how awesome it looked. I had never seen anything like that before. Then the little suggestion box popped up, telling me to go to Chorrol, or not, so I picked not.

Over the course of the next few hours, I was bitten by a vampire, got lost in a cave, stole a diamond, stole 2 horses, killed a bunch of Daedra worshipers accidentally, and got lost on the way from Chorrol to Kvatch. Then finally when I got to Kvatch, I went into the Oblivion gate, and got wiped out by the very first daedra I saw. So I started over.

I concur with youre entrie experience here.... what a ride!

SukieK

I tried Morrowind after Oblivion, just before Skyrim came out... As i was experiencing withdrawal symptoms after Oblivion... I even tried Gothic! But alas, nothing compared....

Benthos

Proud Mer
And no, i am not referring to the first time you had sex! Though i have to admit, that IS an experience you usually recall for the rest of your life, unfortunately. But no, i am referring to the FIRST time you were lucky enough to experience a TES game...

I will never ever forgot the first time i played Oblivion... It was as though i had stepped into an alternate universe and all my troubles and concerns had faded away and i was engulfed in a world so wonderful that i did not want to leave! Oblivion started my journey into the world of Planet Nirn, and i have never looked back! Some days i wish i could hit ERASE on my memories of it, so that i could do it all over again. I remember being amazed by how you could LITERALLY go where ever you could physically SEE. If you could see it, you could go there... It was astounding!

Now that Skyrim is here, i have been absorbed even further. In my own personal life i have a strong affinity to everything Norse... So this one is close to my heart!
Well the first time I had sex wa----oh, sorry, the first time I played TES was Oblivion personally owned and all, my friend had Marrowind on his laptop and he showed me his levitation and other console commands to skip over EVERYTHING with a maxed out character and head to the volcano for the final showdown with the main villain. This was in between classes too in High School too. I chose to make a Red Guard in honor of my woman, she loved the character but I couldn't finish beating Oblivion on the 360 (which I had it on) since the 360 broke and I'm broke financially so I can't get anything replaced/repaired. I just got the game again for PS3 and currently playing it as a Bosmer molded after myself.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I played Morrowind but it never really grabbed me.. I didn't play Oblivion, Skyrim was the first TES game that really got an hold of me..

SherlockJones

I'm where you least expect me, THERE! no not there
Oblivion, mother of Talos.

It took me a few tries but one I "got it" I was hooked, honest to god, I have completed the main quest several times, I am currently achievement whoring it ( don't judge me, especially you, yeah you! ¬¬) , and afterwards, I intend to make a character who is perfectly ordinary, maybe go round collecting herbs and weapons etc and become a wandering merchant in the game.

The best part is, in oblivion, it doesn't sound boring!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts