• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sparky04

Is Xbox 360 as good as the PC version? I don't have an xbox or ps3, so I'd have to buy one. But I generally prefer playing computer games over console games.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I started playing Skyrim on XBox and didn't have any problems with the game (I had more problems with the XBox overheating than with the game itself...), but I moved to PC when we got a new desktop. I use an XBox controller with the PC, which is easier for me and feels more organic (?), but beyond that the game plays the same as it did on XBox.

The big difference that makes the PC version superior IMO is of course the availability of so many different mods. So far, mods have made the game a lot more fun for me on PC>

JClarke1953

I started playing Skyrim on XBox and didn't have any problems with the game (I had more problems with the XBox overheating than with the game itself...), but I moved to PC when we got a new desktop. I use an XBox controller with the PC, which is easier for me and feels more organic (?), but beyond that the game plays the same as it did on XBox.

The big difference that makes the PC version superior IMO is of course the availability of so many different mods. So far, mods have made the game a lot more fun for me on PC>

As far as your XBox overheating? I have mine laying flat, and I've put 1/2 sticky felt pads at each corner to lift it higher, allowing the heat to move away more easily. The XBox, laying flat needs more space under it for heat exchange (which I believe cause the "red circle of death".

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector

As far as your XBox overheating? I have mine laying flat, and I've put 1/2 sticky felt pads at each corner to lift it higher, allowing the heat to move away more easily. The XBox, laying flat needs more space under it for heat exchange (which I believe cause the "red circle of death".

Thanks for the info! I have tried it both lying flat (elevated with Jenga blocks...lol) and standing vertical, and it still seems to run incredibly hot regardless of position. Now, it is an 'old' unit (the off-white case, not the newer black case), so perhaps it's just run its course. I've blown it out with compressed air a few times and even put a big aluminum heatsink underneath it to try and draw off some of the heat, but to no avail. That alone makes me think it has more to do with the solder connections on the boards or maybe with the heatsink paste beneath the components rather than just poor ventilation.

Other games caused the same overheating issue (NHL 2103, NCAA Football, Fable 3, etc) as well, so I'm thinking that eventually, the old thing just gives up and dies (much like we all do I suppose :) ).

JClarke1953

Well, watch the compressed air bit, depending on the force of it, you might unwillingly cause a bit of damage. I use "canned air", and a vacuum to grab the dust as it flies out. Also need to be careful of the exhaust fan that you don't "over-spin" it and ruin the bearings or whatnot.

Loxoceles

Is Xbox 360 as good as the PC version? I don't have an xbox or ps3, so I'd have to buy one. But I generally prefer playing computer games over console games.

Pc is the way to go. Many folks out there create scenarios via the pc programming ability. Some of them are first class and greatly expand the playability of Skyrim. IMO

JClarke1953

I think if I'd had a PC, I might have gone and bought the PC version, because there are so many ways to get around what Bethesda either neglected, or didn't care to fix or take care of.

But, I'm stuck with the XBox, and I'll just have to do what I can on it.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I think if I'd had a PC, I might have gone and bought the PC version, because there are so many ways to get around what Bethesda either neglected, or didn't care to fix or take care of.

You meannumerous bugs like the Companions refering to you as if you are a werewolf even if you cured yourself and not really a bug but more of a neglect by the fact that Vampires are able to drown despite being undead

JClarke1953

You meannumerous bugs like the Companions refering to you as if you are a werewolf even if you cured yourself and not really a bug but more of a neglect by the fact that Vampires are able to drown despite being undead

Lol, not only those bug's, but the multitude of other bugs Bethesda refused to address.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts