Quest (with Spoilers) Stones of Barenziah

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
If you find an Unusual Gem while questing, you'll get a miscellaneous quest urging you to get the gem appraised. Once you do so, by taking it to Vex, Delvin, or any members of the Thieves Guild in Riften, you'll find out that there are 24 gems total, but they're only valuable as a whole set. Most of them are found for doing extra jobs for the Thieves Guild. They do weigh .5ea and because they are quest items cannot be dropped or stored. For finding all of them you get a perk called Prowler's Profit that increases your chance of finding additional gems in chests.

There is a glich with this where one or more stones will stack on each other and therefore not be counted properly, this happens when you pick up more than the first one that gives you the quest and before you get that first one appraised. So ONLY pick-up the one.

Here are the locations in no particular order:

Search the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun. In the first room of the Catacombs on the left wall near a skeleton you'll find a stone.

Search the Jorrvaskr in Whiterun, you'll find a stone in Kodlak’s room.

In the House of Clan Shattershield in Windhelm, you'll find the stone in the first upstairs bedroom to your left.

North of Ansilvund and southeast of Windhelm you'll find a cave called Stony Creek Cave. You'll find the stone in the Bandit Wizard's cavern.

In the Palace of Kings in Windhelm, you'll find the stone on the table in Wuunferth the Unliving’s Quarters.

On the Dainty Sload, a boat in Solitude between the Lighthouse and Solitude check out the Captain’s Quarters. You'll find the stone on the table.

If you purchase Proudspire Manor in Solitude for 25,000 gold after gaining the Jarl's trust, you'll find a stone in the master bedroom.

In the Blue Palace in Solitudue check in the Jarl Elisif's quarters. You'll find the stone on one of his shelves.

In Yngvild, a cave north of Winterhold and east of Dawnstar, check behind the throne to find a chamber that is hiding the stone.

In the College of Winterhold during the Under Saarthal quest search the shelves of the Arch-Mage’s Quarters to find a stone.

In Hob’s Fall Cave, a cave in the area between Dawnstar and Winterhold, you'll find the stone near the necromancer's sleeping area by the alchemy lab.

In the Treasury House in Markarth find the stone next to bed in the master bedroom.

In Understone Keep in Markarth, look for a locked door to a side room of the Dwemer Museum. You'll find the stone in the room on a table.

Southwest of Markarth, you'll find Dead Crone Rock. In front of the Word Wall at the top there will be an altar, you'll find the stone on the altar.

Inside the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, check in Astrid’s room. You'll find the stone on a dresser.

In Thalmor’s Embassy, while on (or after you've completed) the quest “Diplomatic Immunity” for Delphin in Riverwood, check in Elenwen’s Solar. You'll find the stone in a bedroom. edited as of 1.04 patch stone is in the exit cave from under the Thalmor embassy.

In Dragonsearch in Whiterun, check the Jarl’s bedroom to find the stone.

East-northeast of Whiterun you'll find a dungeon called Fellglow Keep. You'll find the stone on the counter of the workroom at the top of the front foyer.

Northeast of Rorikstead and southeast of Marthal you’ll find a dungeon called Rannveig’s Fast. You'll find the stone on a table near the prison area.

In Ansilvund a tomb in Eastmarch, you'll find a stone in the burial chambers near where you encounter Fjori's ghost.

In Mistveil Keep in Riften find the stone in the Jarl's Quarters.

East of Riften in the Black Briar Lodge you'll find the stone upstairs in the master bedroom. Note: Black Briar Lodge is different than Blackbriar Manor, so don't confuse the two.

Northeast of Falkreath you'll find a farm called Pinewatch. Inside the farmhouse, you'll find a secret entrance to the Bandit Sanctuary. Go there and make your way towards a room with empty draugr tombs. Once there you'll find a locked door directly to your right. Use a lockpick on the door and you'll find the stone on the top shelf of the a bookcase.

South of Gjukar’s Monument and north of Moss Mother Cavern, in Falkreath, you'll find Sunderstone Gorge. Inside, stone on an altar in front of a Word Wall.

Once you've found all 24 Stones of Barenziah, Vex from the Thieves Guild will ask you to recover the Crown of Barenziah from Tovald's Cave. According to the Vex, once you recover the crown, which is a paragon for the Thieves Guild, she'll be able to restore it to its full strength and reward you with the Prowler's Profit.

If this helped you give me a like and some reputation.

Doomy

Beware, these things way 0.5 each and once identified cant be dropped. (Thats upto 12 wasted loot space) So dont start unless you intend on finishing it.

Shew

good point, because they are required for a quest... they cannot leave your carried inventory and they have the 1/2 pound weight. edited main post to reflect this

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
Some quest items do not take up space in your inventory. The stones are included. Don't believe me? Take everything out of your inventory. You will have 0/300 with the stones.

Shew

What do you get for turning them in to Vex?
Powler's Profit a permanent perk that allow you to find 2x as many gems in treasure as listed in the original post:rolleyes:

tragik

Premium Member
Once again Purple you rule.. thanks.

A5ko

Dual-Wielding Dragon Destroyer
I suspect the stacking issue will be resolved in patch 2.9 a couple of years from now. I've already found 14 and they are stacked, so i'll hold off until it's fixed.

Planning your characters perks in advance = makes sense.
Planning your character around bugs = broken.

Please fix Beth.

Shew

the stacking occurs when you find more than one of them before you get them appraised by vex.

renswic

In Thalmor’s Embassy, while on (or after you've completed) the quest “Diplomatic Immunity” for Delphin in Riverwood, check in Elenwen’s Solar. You'll find the stone in a bedroom.

You note "or after you've completed"

How do you get in after you have finished it? With out using the PC only commands?

Shew

the tunnel you escaped from should be your entry point

Stone

Retired Moderator
A very informative post. I've been picking up these gems when I see them, but never knew what they were for. Thanks for enlightening me.

Keep up the good work.

Shew

Thanks Stone

Shew

you and me both I forgot to get it while I was there with this character and am having a dickins of a time finding that fracking tunnel entrance, I tried to jump the wall to the back courtyard but the devs put in a softwall to keep that from happening

Shew

found it, its the reeking cave at the base of the cliff between the thalmor compound and the ironback hideout, but its a nogo there is a ledge you can't jump to to get back up... @#%^^&*$%#@

Shew

Thanks for that I got it after about 50 tries... Woot Woot only one more stone to find on this character.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts