Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sean

lost somewhere
Which version of Windows should I get?

I do know there are other operating systems like Linux, Ubuntu, and Mac, but I prefer Windows.

So, out of these two operating system, which one?

Don't just say that you hate one, give actual reasons why.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Win 8 needs alot of work done to it before it's ready to use on a pc. It's brilliant for tablets etc.... but for a desktop pc win 7 is much better to use for the time being imho.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Win 8 was primarily developed with the idea to entirely transform the user face for touch PCs and tablets. It's new and very different; I'm sure it's full of problems.

I remember one of the first PC Mag World looks at it, the user said it took something like 10 minutes to figure out how to turn the computer off.

Win 7 is very stable and a great OS; I'm running Professional and it's awesome. Obviously I recommend you get a copy of it. Not only that, but with Win 8 out now I'm sure you could get Win 7 nice and cheap if you look around enough.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
For once, and tempted by a relatively cheap upgrade, I upraded to Win 8 pro and the only problem I had was solved by increasing the virtual memory - I think that was the only setting that didn't transfer across from Win7. It didn't take long to organise the start screen. Personally, I don't have any problems and am perfectly happy with it.

But - we're all different with different usage. So what works for me might not work for others.

The one thing I would do is to check for any compatibility issues with peripherals.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
If your hardware is new, chances are Windows 8 will have drivers for it. That said, Windows 8 is nothing special but Microsoft's scheme in integrating their philosophy of "One operating system to rule them all!" like some evil Sauron with a touchscreen tablet.

There's absolutely a waste of time and money spent by people in getting Windows 8 now, and trust me, it's not worth it. Windows 9 will be. A person I know said even the guys at Hackerthon laughed at Windows 8 and couldn't perform well with java coding and the instability was rife that people emailed them an ISO of Windows 7 for an emergency lolz

Performance wise vs Windows 7, Windows 8 is rated faster for one reason, it's processors. Windows 7 on boot has most of these system processors running, whilst Windows 8 only uses what the user uses. But this is a lame reason to want to swop sides, with a bit of effort and configuration you can make Windows 7 equally as fast.

Regards to Direct 11.1 ... What a lot of crap.

Now for gaming.

FPS measured with both a Radeon and Geforce graphics card proves my point.

In Windows 8 the FPS scale benchmark always measured .5 higher in mostly any game tested. That's so goddamn significant I almost fainted.

If Microsoft thinks they going to win peoples favour with these small (.) point increments then the weed in their office pot plants must be getting damn strong this time of year. ,|,,

So if you still haven't got neither of them go with Windows 7.

Meh. I got Win 8 Pro free for buyin Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere 11 together for $99 shipped. The desktop really isn't that different from 7. Just minus the start button. Which I just used for search and control panel anyway. Metro sucks on my PC as a GUI. I by pass it for the most part. Ill probably end up installing Classic Shell or Start8, but I can't get any money back for the single license, so I might as well use it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
My husband is a software engineer and a Microsoft Gold partner. He said he's never heard so much swearing as when they were trying to deal with Windows 8. Needless to say, this is from the engineering/development side, so certainly, the typical home users' mileage may vary. I know we definitely won't be upgrading our Windows versions on the few machines running it in my house.

I was annoying at first, but it's really not that different from Win 7 on the desktop. I only use Skype now from Metro. It's nice that you can anchor it to a side panel.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Good Lord, anything but Windows 8.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts