Windhelm Murders quest?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ZombieTrash143

Hellish rock-and-roll Freak
I cannot start this quest.

I've read up on it and all I could find was something about entering and leaving Windhelm a certain amount of times and something should start. I've done this and still nothing. I've tried waiting, entering, waiting, entering etc.

Everytime I go and talk to the Steward it only gives me the option to ask "Can I buy a house?" and all he says is "blah blah blah some unpleasentness recently blah blah blah not available" and that's that. Nothing with Ulfric either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Aniratak

Have you started it, and then it won't go to the next level, or is it just that it won't start at all? If you go past the graveyard, do you see a guard standing there? Can you talk to her? And if you can, what happens? Do you play on PS3, Xbox or PC?

ZombieTrash143

I can't start it at all. I've not checked the graveyard in the past few days but there's been nothing there any other time that I've tried there.

I'm playing on Xbox.

Aniratak

Ok. I play on Xbox as well.. There are supposed to be a guard there.. Even before the quest beguins. Not going to spoil anything so I won't say much more. But have you tried to wait 30 days? I think Skyrim-stuff will respawn every 30 (skyrim) day.

And another question: Do you have Dawnguard installed? There might have been a vampire-raid that killed off one of your NPC's that had a part in the quest. Unfortunately.

ZombieTrash143

I haven't waited 30 days but unfortunately this has been an issue for a lot longer than 30-Skyrim-Days :sadface: it's worth a try though.

I do have Dawnguard. I have all the DLC. But upon completing the main quest I didn't enter Windhelm once so I don't think that could have contributed to it. Also, as I said, it has been an issue for a long time. Even before I had Dawnguard installed :sadface::sadface::sadface:

Aniratak

This is what i found when it comes to problems with starting the quest: (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blood_on_the_Ice#How_to_Start_the_Quest)

How to Start the Quest

This quest is triggered by a counter that starts at the beginning of the game which will increase each time you visit the city of Windhelm or the immediate surrounding area. When it reaches four, the Blood on the Ice quest will be available, although two more conditions must be met:
  • The player has to enter Windhelm, either through the main gate, the docks gate, or by fast-traveling, between 7pm and 7am. The graveyard scene should then be triggered and the quest ready to go.
  • Tova Shatter-Shield and Arivanya need to be alive (see bugs section).
The easiest way to trigger the quest is to walk back and forth between Windhelm Stables and Brandy-Mug Farm two-three times, then enter Windhelm between 7pm and 7am. If the graveyard scene is not triggered by this, there's little hope you can trigger the quest at all.
NOTE: You can always check whether or not you have met the requirements for the quest to start, as the lock to Hjerim will change from a “key required”-lock to a normal lock when the quest becomes available.
If Tova and Arivanya are alive, the quest has not yet initiated because the counter is less than four, and you obtain a key to Hjerim, then you can trigger this quest by entering Hjerim with that key and picking up one of the Beware the Butcher! pamphlets. However, the quest will not start in the same way as outlined in the walkthrough above; you will have to figure out what to do on your own without help from Jorleif, however all of the same options will be open to you except that none of the witnesses will be present in the graveyard; you can sell Calixto the Strange Amulet, you can have Wuunferth arrested or talk to him to catch Calixto, and you will have to talk to Viola in order to continue on with the quest after picking up a pamphlet.

ZombieTrash143

I have those "Beware the Butcher!" pamphlets. But no quest. I think I stole a key and let myself in.

Does it mean that I have to go about the quest by myself with no ACTUAL quest in my log? o_O

Iveri Sarothil

I couldn't start this quest for the longest time. Made a new toon, avoided the Dark Brotherhood quest that has you kill the girl in Windhelm, and it finally triggered for me.

ZombieTrash143

I can't remember if I did that Dark Brotherhood Quest.... If it's part of the main story then I probably did because I have that finished.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I think if you break into the Hjerm house it starts you in the middle of the quest, even if you didn't actually see the murder scene.

ZombieTrash143

I have the key (I stole it from someone) and I went into the house, picked up the "Beware the Butcher!!" notes and still nothing. I also checked the Graveyard last night and nothing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts