Will this computer run Skyrim well?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Texaz2008

Veterans love to Game too!
yeah i think that one is the next gen model of the one i have.. im sure itll be more than enough. and it should be good for a few years or so to run some games. nice pick there homie. just know its going to cost a tiny fortune. ive seen brand new video cards like that run for 1k sometimes.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Great! Thanks. It seems fairly affordable with the cyberpower package that I configured. So, I e-mailed them with the whole config and asked if this whole configuration would work. Hopefully, they'll get back to me, as I'm basically ready to go with it. I just want to make darn sure it will perform really well with Steam, the game and the mods from the creation kit. So far it comes to just over 2k which I don't think is too bad, considering I can add to it and upgrade in the future.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
It would be i7 but I don't honestly know how to find out Ram on the Processor. So, these are just some of the things in the configuration. Would the Ram/processor be in the CPU i7 3820?
Memory:
16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory Kingston
Motherboard:

3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/
UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio

, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
(Extreme OC Certified)
Hard Drive:

2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

CPU:

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Network card:
Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Looks like it'll be 64 bit. 2TB HD and 16gb (4gbx4) on memory. But should I use the memory to find out the RAM? If I go by the Memory, it comes out as 1333Mhz of RAM memory.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
If I go by the Memory, it comes out as 1333Mhz of RAM memory.
Mhz is a measurement of clockspeed of hardware not memory and your RAM is 1600MHz not 1333. I'm not sure what you're trying to find out. Texaz was asking about your system memory or RAM which is 16MB (and entirely unnecessary for Skyrim or contemporary PC gaming in general) and your CPU (Central Processing Unit - processor is geekspeak shorthand for CPU). CPU's don't have RAM. >^_^<

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Mhz is a measurement of clockspeed of hardware not memory and your RAM is 1600MHz not 1333. I'm not sure what you're trying to find out. Texaz was asking about your system memory or RAM which is 16MB (and entirely unnecessary for Skyrim or contemporary PC gaming in general) and your CPU (Central Processing Unit - processor is geekspeak shorthand for CPU). CPU's don't have RAM. >^_^<
When you say unnecessary, what do you mean? I'll be using it for more. Unnecessary for just the game performance? I'm basically just trying to find out if my configuration will perform really well with the game, steam, and the creation kit mods, plus I'll be using it for a lot of business, scanning, etc.

Dagmar

16 GB of RAM is unnecessary for most users. Unless you run multiple graphics intensive applications for things like digital image editing, 3D rendering etc. you're not going to be tapping into 16GB of RAM. The only reason PC configurations come with those kind of default specs now is because RAM is so cheap today.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
16 GB of RAM is unnecessary for most users. Unless you run multiple graphics intensive applications for things like digital image editing, 3D rendering etc. you're not going to be tapping into 16GB of RAM. The only reason PC configurations come with those kind of default specs now is because RAM is so cheap today.
Thanks, Yes I want to get into digital image editing and I feel like if i'm going to get a new set-up, then I might as well integrate as many capabilities as I can. Like one of the smaller issues I'm having is when I scan high res rare stamps and coins, many of the images need scanning flaws fixed that neither photoshop or any of my other software can correct. I'd rather over do it on this build. I have the resources to do it, so i might as well.

Texaz2008

i was asking because the games requirements i wasnt saying he needed 16gb lolol i got 16gb because i like to build a comp every 5 years to last that five years. so build for the future i think skyrim requires one or two not to sure.

Dagmar

i was asking because the games requirements i wasnt saying he needed 16gb lolol i got 16gb because i like to build a comp every 5 years to last that five years. so build for the future i think skyrim requires one or two not to sure.
It requires 2GB but it benefits from having more since one of the patches.

I know you weren't saying he needed 16GB. I was pointing out to him that he probably doesn't need it (even if he uses digital image editing software he's still probably not going to need it, especially since Photoshop is digital image editing software :p ).

Regarding planning for the future, RAM is the easiest component to upgrade in a computer and if you don't need 16GB you can simply leave some slots empty and buy and slot in more if and when you need it.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Photoshop doesn't even come close to meeting my needs though and neither does the other $300 image editing software. If I'm going to get a PC build, then I want to overkill it even if it has capabilities that I may not use. Don't really care. Main goal is being able to easily upgrade components in the future. Whether it be a video card or whatever. Anyway, the default choice for the model was the 16GB, so I might as well stay with it and not downgrade it.

Texaz2008

It requires 2GB but it benefits from having more since one of the patches.

I know you weren't saying he needed 16GB. I was pointing out to him that he probably doesn't need it (even if he uses digital image editing software he's still probably not going to need it, especially since Photoshop is digital image editing software :p ).

Regarding planning for the future, RAM is the easiest component to upgrade in a computer and if you don't need 16GB you can simply leave some slots empty and buy and slot in more if and when you need it.

i know ram is the easiest to upgrade but when you get back from iraq... and you have all that tax free deployment money.. and you live in the barracks and already paid your car off.... well you kinda just want to spoil yourself and well i did lololol..so i figure why do everything in bits and pieces while i have month of block leave and do it all now so that i dont have to worry about it later. you got to think what if i order something off of newegg.com or tigerdirect and im in the field or something well then it sits at the post office for a week or so, but if i ordered all right then and there and made my beastly computer.. A.) gave me something to do
B.)all done at one time
c.) skyrim looks amazing
d.)battlefield three looks amazing
e.) and im sure mass effect three will look just as good if not betterererer :)

plus i mean i know skyrim has only need for 2gb... but is it also wrong i have it set to 3 terra of space on my computer.. i think that more is better just in case rather have too much than too little.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
NVIDIA just seems to offer better support through the Nvidia Control Panel, they have even released Skyrim specific settings, and there is an excellent tutorial on the Geforce website on Skyrim optimization.

There's also the 3rd party (i think) Nvidia Inspector which allows you to enhance graphics further.
Nvidia just seems worth paying the extra for.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Man, you must have been one of the last out of Iraq. That really sucks. My cousin joined the USMC because he wanted to go to Afghanistan (like my brother, but he went amphib assault and some kinda special ops to Bosnia and has PTSD, apparently hostage situation involving children that did not end well). Thankfully, my cousin just just got out of boot camp (liked it a lot too, shrug) and now they won't be sending him to Afghanistan, so he's a little disappointed. The entire family is relieved he isn't going. Except for him.

I've heard NVIDIA GeForce as well. Torn with it, because this new AMD 7970 got some excellent reviews with Skyrim, but I have heard that NVIDIA is/was recommended for the game. The build does have the slots/capacity for 3 Video cards = 3 monitors, so would it be ridiculous to add a GeForce to the second card slot? I really don't know, but if I have 3 video card slots, I could add an NVIDIA. But what one would I add? Assuming that it isn't conflicting to add two different video cards of different manufacturers. There's the GTX Ti 560 1.5GB 16X PCle for only $215

Edit: I did find this: "With Skyrim Bethesda have chosen to stick with DirectX9 and so we don't get to take advantage of many of the features which make these cards stand out from older models. Performance however is very much improved over older cards and with the 7970 we can enable all of the games highest detail levels and play at both 1920x1080 and 5760x1080. While the 7970 is clearly faster than the 6970 it is worth pointing out that once again the GTX 580 performs well in comparison to the 7970, at least when using 1920x1080... the NVIDIA card of course can't run in a single GPU configuration at 5760x1080."

On:http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1361/pg7/amd-radeon-hd-7970-graphics-card-review-skyrim.html And then there's this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104-9.html whick kinda shows that it functions around the same as a GTX 580. But I do have the option of changing from the AND 7970 (main card) to a GTX 590 which I'm assuming is the latest NVIDIA.

Texaz2008

actually you are correct lol we were the second to last battalion out of iraq. and the last battalion out that still ran ground missions (we had a black hawk medevac group tasked to us just in case) the people that left after us were paper work people helping the state department and stuff.

I mean iraq wasnt that bad of a country.. if you could get over all the trash on the ground and the fact most of the people hated us. but then again i would prolly hate some one who was killin my cousins and what not if they were here as well. i guess its all on how you look at it. Kinda like the iraqi's are ulfric storm cloak and we are the imperium.. we may be bigger and badder but the people who fight for home and country. wont ever stop fighting as compared to the man who fights for coin and benefits.

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Good analogy, lol. Stormcloaks vs. Imperials. Yeah I figured you must have been among the last to come back since I saw the news talking about all the equipment that needed to be shipped back. Iraq is going to be a political mess for awhile, I'm sure. Had a friend in the NG who crossed over into the Navy, then was sent to Kuwait right when all the roadside attacks were happening. He said Kuwait was nice, but the heat REALLY got to him. Well, I hope they send you someplace nice after all of that. After Vietnam, my dad lucked out and got stationed in Hawaii. They should do that for all the Vets returning. So, what are you going to do now that your back?​

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts