Will this build work?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeKun

I'm trying to make a new battlemage/spellsword character with One-handed, Heavy Armor, Destruction, and Restoration perks (Des and Res on left hand, Sword on right hand). I'm also thinking about putting some Conjuration too. I wanted heavy armor because i want to be more on melee but still a bit of magic. Is it a good build? Do I need to work on something? Also what non-combat perks should i pick?
And what destruction spells should i focus on using? flames, sparks, or frost?
I'm also focusing both on Health and Magicka, and none on Stamina.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Heya! Well, I can't offer specific perk advice on a battlemage character since I'm playing more of a straight-up 2-handed warrior (with a strong emphasis on all the crafting skills and some skill in sneaking). I can, however, say that with Skyrim it is much, MUCH harder to create an underpowered, dysfunctional character than it was in Oblivion. If anything, most people will end up with an overpowered character sooner or later (happened to me at around level 30, even with no cheating or exploits and the difficulty maxed out), so don't worry about it too much. ;) You can take heavy armor and still be an efficient caster (plus there are useful heavy armor perks such as one that reduces the weight of your worn armor to zero). As far as non-combat perks, I would choose the ones related to all three of the crafting skills (though you certainly don't need every perk from all of those skill trees!). They are extremely useful and a great way to make easy money (for ex. crafting jewelry from silver and gold ingots and selling them). Perks that I would personally avoid spending points on include the ones in lockpicking and speech.

Good luck and godspeed!

Couthful

Tamriel Adventurer
I play a spell/sword style except I chose Alteration magic as my armor instead of Heavy Armor for some added difficulty. I see no reason why your build wouldn't work although you'll probably find you don't use Conjuration enough for it to level with your One-handed and Destruction skills.

Your perks in Heavy Armor will depend a lot on whether or not you use Smithing/Enchanting. If you plan to craft you likely don't need any Heavy Armor perks because you can create overpowered items otherwise the right side of the Heavy perk tree is where you want your points. Restoration is a skill any type of player could use since it has both Stamina and Magicka regeneration perks built in, you won't need to take perks above Adept level unless you want the crowd control abilities at Expert and Master.

Now your offensive abilities... Do not invest 3 points into the dual wielding side unless you are positive about DWing, keep in mind switching items/spell in hand can sometimes be cumbersome. I found no need for the weapon specialization skills as I was powerful enough just taking the One-handed perks up the middle. Destruction magic can become very powerful when you have the perks to increase damage. I choose Fire since undead are weak against it, Fire damage adds damage over time, and most enemies in Skyrim have some type of Frost resist. You will NEED to pick up the 2 perks to boost damage no matter the element type and to sustain your attack beyond a few casts you'll need Fortfy Destruction on your armor. I found the dual wield casting in Descrution quite useful for the stunning ability it grants.

I find spell/sword to be a fun playstyle once you have your favorites menu set up perfectly. It is a little bit more of a challenge than a pure melee or pure caster build but thats a good thing if you ask me.

Doomy

Single handed destruction isn't very effective at higher levels, you do more damage and stagger with a weapon in that hand

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts