Will my Computer be able to handle Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Opium_Bunny

Hello, first off I am not very computer literate so I apologize for being a noob at this, my question is whether or not my PC will be able to handle Skyrim??

I have played other games on my PC such as WOW, and The Sims 2 just fine. The sims 2 runs rather smoothly on medium/high graphics. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

ColdBlooded87

Female, Flint MI
It would depend on your system and the specs of your pc really. Can't really tell you much without knowing the info of your pc.

Mr.Meowington

You'll have to post your computers specs, otherwise we won't be able to tell you!

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Does anyone have any recommendations for a great PC Desktop that will perform perfectly on Skyrim? I'm on Xbox and I got the PC version for the better mods, but I'm playing from a laptop. Not good. There should be a way to build up the laptop though. Below are the spec. If anyone has any suggestions for modifying my laptop, I'd appreciate that too.
ystem Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/7/2012, 17:21:29
Machine name: Changed4discretion
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM
Page File: 2878MB used, 5117MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_30F7103C&REV_07
Display Memory: 1695 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1631 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC4D42
Native Mode: 1280 x 800(p) (59.994Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1883 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.1883
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/27/2009 07:07:12, 5616640 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6902-11CF-D774-FD10A7C2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2A42
SubSys ID: 0x30F7103C
Revision ID: 0x0007
Driver Strong Name: oem4.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64:iCNT0:8.15.10.1883:pci\ven_8086&dev_2a42&subsys_30f7103c
Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeVC1_C

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
There is very little you can upgrade on a laptop. It's one of several disadvantages a laptop has to a desktop which is why you have to be willing to spend a fair amount of money to purchase gaming laptop if you want one that can handle a game like Skyrim at decent settings without performance issues.

The laptop you have is clearly not meant for PC gaming because it has a very low performance integrated chipset instead of an actual laptop video card and you can't upgrade to an actual laptop video card with that laptop.

Rheaper

Can someone help me with determining wether my current system can run this game successfully, and I mean not at 3 fps but a good smooth game experience.

HP Pavilion dv7
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.4GHz
Windows 7 32bit
4.00 GB Ram (3.00 Useable)
Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (1024MB)

Anyone with the same or like system, if you can give me a review on gameplay would be much appreciated.
Thanks

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
There is very little you can upgrade on a laptop. It's one of several disadvantages a laptop has to a desktop which is why you have to be willing to spend a fair amount of money to purchase gaming laptop if you want one that can handle a game like Skyrim at decent settings without performance issues.

The laptop you have is clearly not meant for PC gaming because it has a very low performance integrated chipset instead of an actual laptop video card and you can't upgrade to an actual laptop video card with that laptop.

Thanks, I'm looking for suggestions for a a new desktop. up to $2k. I need to get one, but I don't know which would be a good one.

Baldr

I heard in one of my pc mags it can take 8 gigs of ram, not sure if I believe

What graphic card would you recommend

It's not how we fall which defines us but how we rise after falling

SuperAxilla

Article Writer
Anyone have any suggestions 4 a good desktop PC to run Skyrim at an excellent performance, I posted a thread under "Gaming Discussions". Would like to hear what others are using and what they suggest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts