why would anyone play a non Nord when Skyrim is about Norse Viking/ Anglo Saxon Warrior Culture

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

zane

Yah but wouldnt you wanna play the race and species of the people and culture? And besides a Non Nord using the thuum is beyond weird and uncommon especially since the thuum is a Nord Skill

The thu'um is not Nord only x.x

I hate when people say the things in skyrim are only supposed to be nord based when in fact main npcs in the game states that anyone can learn to use the voice, it was created by those who watched the dragons to use it against them.

As for a non nord, the game starts off by saying you were crossing into skyrim through the border - this alone breaks away the idea of a must be nord character.

Tameriel was settled by those who traveled to it. Skyrim was not the original home of the nords, it was the home of Snow elves that were conquered by nords.

on a lighter note, if you're playing a game where majority of people are gonna be type A, some of us prefer diversity and would play another type just to mix things up.

Also just stating, the Arabic/African style that the Redguards are from is an adoption of culture after the moved from an island continent that crumbled and sunk beneath the sea. (Sorta like the Atlantis of TES).

[Please note that I'm giving you an aggressive amount of info, not to be rude, but to show that you've payed little attention - although not all of us are lore fanatics]

Case in point - People play what they feel is best. I know many, including myself, play as a character that is usually continued down the bloodline of our previous characters in previous TES games.

I hope this answers your question.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Skyrim begins with you on a wagon, bound and imprisoned along with Nord Stormcloaks. A victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can be a visiting Breton, Imperial, Orc, whatever. The point is you have been wrongly imprisoned and sentenced to death. What does it matter what race you are, just because this game takes place in Skyrim?
uulpa.jpg

grimAuxiliatrix

Even having only been on these forums for a few days, I've already noticed that you tend to post stupid things with astonishing frequency. This, however, is the worst I've seen yet.

Are you serious, OP? People play whatever race they enjoy playing, either one that suits their playing style or one that they want to role play as or whatever.

This topic was a bad idea, because it is idiotic.

Don Fatshine

Daedric Servant
Even having only been on these forums for a few days, I've already noticed that you tend to post stupid things with astonishing frequency. This, however, is the worst I've seen yet.

Are you serious, OP? People play whatever race they enjoy playing, either one that suits their playing style or one that they want to role play as or whatever.

This topic was a bad idea, because it is idiotic.

Win.

Jesus fluff.

This guy says "no offense" and you all call him a troll and all kinds of other plops while telling him he is an asshole....? He has a good point. and like others have said, these games do tend to make you feel out of place unless you play the intended race. And dont even try to say there is no intended race. the games are obviously (at least pertaining to tha MQ) designed with a certain race in mind. as previously stated, In Morrowind the MQ was written for a Dunmer. Oblivion idek... but in Skyrim the dude on tha fluffin box is a Nord, and how does the Dragonborn song go? "with a voice weilding power, of the ancient NORD toungue..."

He never tried talking down on you people for being another race or playing how you want. he just pointed out that it doesnt feel right in a small way. Dicks.

EDIT: now don't get me wrong, I think you can have plenty of fun being another race, and I am hardly ever a nord because personally I dont like them. I think you all should play how you want and be what makes you happy. but come on. I was under the impression that this forum was a place for people to share their thoughts and experiences with skyrim and TES in general without being bashed by a bunch of overly-intense flame throwing fanboys(and girls) GUESS I WAS WRONG

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
.. a game about Norse Viking Culture with alot of parallels with the Nordic gods and goddesses and the Nord gods and goddesses...
I see you failed Norse Mythology as well as Colonial American History. Putting aside that the Divines aren't Nordic gods (they're simply the gods of Tamriel) there are no close parallels to Norse mythology. Akatosh and Odin are as different pantheon chieftains as one could find nor are there any comparable deities to Thor, Baldr, Loki, Hemdallr, Freyja or other prominent immortals in Norse mythology. There is nothing comparable to the Valkyries, there is no dichotomy of gods similar to the Aesir and Vanir, and there is no concept comparable to Ragnarok in the Elder Scrolls universe. The mythology of the Elder Scrolls Universe is rather unique and we can credit the talents of writers like Michael Kirkbride for that. There really isn't a lot to compel one to play a Nord Dragonborn over any other race. After all, the first Dragonborns of the Empire weren't Nords as the line started with St. Alessia and the Imperial line of the First Imperial Empire and Martin Septim of the Second Empire and the last of the Dragonborn under the pact with Akatosh and the Amulet of Kings was an Imperial.

zane

Jesus fu**.

This guy says "no offense" and you all call him a troll and all kinds of other pl*** while telling him he is an asshole....? He has a good point. and like others have said, these games do tend to make you feel out of place unless you play the intended race. And dont even try to say there is no intended race. the games are obviously (at least pertaining to tha MQ) designed with a certain race in mind. as previously stated, In Morrowind the MQ was written for a Dunmer. Oblivion idek... but in Skyrim the dude on tha fluffin box is a Nord, and how does the Dragonborn song go? "with a voice weilding power, of the ancient NORD toungue..."

He never tried talking down on you people for being another race or playing how you want. he just pointed out that it doesnt feel right in a small way. Dicks.

EDIT: now don't get me wrong, I think you can have plenty of fun being another race, and I am hardly ever a nord because personally I dont like them. I think you all should play how you want and be what makes you happy. but come on. I was under the impression that this forum was a place for people to share their thoughts and experiences with skyrim and TES in general without being bashed by a bunch of overly-intense flame throwing fanboys(and girls) GUESS I WAS WRONG

just because a song says nord does not make it link directly to a nord. If nords picked up language from another culture, then by saying nord, you could be pertaining to the root culture >.>

In your logic I guess because most nords are for skyrim power the ideal choice of conflict with the war would be to side with the Stormcloaks - regardless of what ulfric says at sovengarde after you kill him =3

I also assume that because a male is on the case, the DB has to be male as well.... and wear that exact armor all game and has no specific name.

Honestly the point you guys are making are "reasonable" but isn't sound when you link the game into the ENTIRE lore of TES, or the statements of the entire game. Especially thinking that a Nord in the game would be the best character to make progression out of the war, and the conflict, but hey an opinion is an opinion and everyone has the right to one. So whether someone gets made, in the end a disagreement is a disagreement, once someone is set on an ideal - then they're set.

This topic was to ask a question, and I do believe we've all given valid responses.

there are no close parallels to Norse mythology.

except for the pantheon of gods...you know... because having multiple gods with different attributes or wtf ever....is a parallel. so there is at least one, sort of, close parallel.

just because a song says nord does not make it link directly to a nord. If nords picked up language from another culture, then by saying nord, you could be pertaining to the root culture >.>

In your logic I guess because most nords are for skyrim power the ideal choice of conflict with the war would be to side with the Stormcloaks - regardless of what ulfric says at sovengarde after you kill him =3

I also assume that because a male is on the case, the DB has to be male as well.... and wear that exact armor all game and has no specific name.

Honestly the point you guys are making are "reasonable" but isn't sound when you link the game into the ENTIRE lore of TES, or the statements of the entire game. Especially thinking that a Nord in the game would be the best character to make progression out of the war, and the conflict, but hey an opinion is an opinion and everyone has the right to one. So whether someone gets made, in the end a disagreement is a disagreement, once someone is set on an ideal - then they're set.

This topic was to ask a question, and I do believe we've all given valid responses.

For One: You can meet Ulfric in Sovngarde? Thats pretty sweet. never knew. EDIT: Will you tell me what he says? I'm really interested but I dont want to start a new game just to find out lol

For Two: I didn't say anything HAD/HAS to be anything.

For Three: Just because a song specifically says the name of a specific race it surely doesnt have to have anything to do with that specific race. You're right. Wait. I mean your logic is as flawed as you are insinuating mine to be.

zane

For One: You can meet Ulfric in Sovngarde? Thats pretty sweet. never knew.

For Two: I didn't say anything HAD/HAS to be anything.

For Three: Just because a song specifically says the name of a specific race it surely doesnt have to have anything to do with that specific race. You're right. Wait. I mean your logic is as flawed as you are insinuating mine to be.

For one: Yeah, if you do the civil war quest and side with the imperials, you'll meet ulfric there and he'll admit to being rash and saying he regrets taking the path that he did

on your three: Let me give you an example

Some decedent of a pilgrim from the Americas "I continue to till my crops that I learned from my forefathers in America as passed down from tradition. It's a Pilgrim thing." <- well the pilgrims learned from natives and basically took that from their culture. Calling it their own, when it's actually Natives

a better example would be some mexican families that are descended from natives and etc, two distinct cultures, but their roots match to one.

so by saying the language of the Nords, it's actually the language of the Dragons, which were brought by the Divines, who ruled over the world with VARIOUS different races. Just because we're seeing it in Skyrim in TES V, does not man it wasn't apparent in other TES culture.

Especially when said Nord legends are conflicting as the Grey beards says that the Nords call Talos's name Ysmir, but that name is given to ALL dragonborn who study under the grey beards. So "legends" are just that, legends that hold some truth, but never 100% accurate.

:D did that help in the explanation?

zane

except for the pantheon of gods...you know... because having multiple gods with different attributes or wtf ever....is a parallel. so there is at least one, sort of, close parallel.

there is no god of thunder, no god of mischief, - there is an all father, sort ah - no god of war (this does not just pertain to greek), there is no god of smelting/forging

If anything the divinity of TES matches closer to that of the Kabbalah. 10 gods and 10 devils, although the numbers and roles don't match exactly...

hmm =o now you have me thinking about some interesting possible mods :D

Dagmar

...the games are obviously (at least pertaining to tha MQ) designed with a certain race in mind. as previously stated, In Morrowind the MQ was written for a Dunmer. Oblivion idek... but in Skyrim the dude on tha fluffin box is a Nord...
You mean this box? :rolleyes:

elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-box.jpg

...and how does the Dragonborn song go? "with a voice weilding power, of the ancient NORD toungue..."
This is about as accurate an interpretation as the Dovahkiin being on the game box. :rolleyes:

The translated lyrics to the Dragonborn Comes from the soundtrack are:

Dragonborn, Dragonborn, by his honor is sworn,
To keep evil forever at bay!
And the fiercest foes rout when they hear triumph's shout,
Dragonborn, for your blessing we pray!

Hearken now, sons of snow, to an age, long ago
And the tale, boldly told, of the one!
Who was kin to both wyrm, and the races of man,
With a power to rival the sun!

And the voice, he did wield, on that glorious field,
When great Tamriel shuddered with war!
Mighty Thu'um, like a blade, cut through enemies all,
As the Dragonborn issued his roar!

And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
With a hunger to swallow the world!

But a day shall arise, when the dark dragon's lies,
Will be silenced forever and then!
Fair Skyrim will be free from foul Alduin's maw,
Dragonborn be the savior of men!

The lyrics you're citing come from the book Songs of Skyrim: Revised which presents the Dragonborn in a way meant to appeal to Nords and it's very telling that it doesn't match up to the actual lyrics of the soundtrack. The developers of Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim went to great lengths to create lore and storylines where it's irrefutable that both the race and gender of the protagonist player character are intended to be ambiguous to accommodate the selection of any race of either gender regardless of your notions to the contrary.

Dagmar

Pantheon is just a collective term for the gods of a mythology and establishes nothing parallel between two mythologies other than that neither are monotheistic.

there is no god of thunder, no god of mischief, - there is an all father, sort ah - no god of war (this does not just pertain to greek), there is no god of smelting/forging

If anything the divinity of TES matches closer to that of the Kabbalah. 10 gods and 10 devils, although the numbers and roles don't match exactly...

hmm =o now you have me thinking about some interesting possible mods :D

for one, your response to my number three is compelling, but irrelevant.

for two, I know that the gods do not do the same things or stand for tha same things or whatever and that they are mostly original...except not at all...but that is a war starting topic for another day.... Im just saying the fact that there is numerous gods/goddesses is indeed a parallel. i was just being a smart ass on that one admittedly

You mean this box? :rolleyes:

elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-box.jpg

This is about as accurate an interpretation as the Dovahkiin being on the game box. :rolleyes:

The translated lyrics to the Dragonborn Comes from the soundtrack are:

Hearken now, sons of snow, to an age, long ago
And the tale, boldly told, of the one!
Who was kin to both wyrm, and the races of man,
With a power to rival the sun!

And the voice, he did wield, on that glorious field,
When great Tamriel shuddered with war!
Mighty Thu'um, like a blade, cut through enemies all,
As the Dragonborn issued his roar!

And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
With a hunger to swallow the world!

But a day shall arise, when the dark dragon's lies,
Will be silenced forever and then!
Fair Skyrim will be free from foul Alduin's maw,
Dragonborn be the savior of men!

The lyrics you're citing come from the book Songs of Skyrim: Revised which presents the Dragonborn in a way meant to appeal to Nords and it's very telling that it doesn't match up to the actual lyrics of the soundtrack. The developers of Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim went to great lengths to create lore and storylines where it's irrefutable that both the race and gender of the protagonist player character are intended to be ambiguous to accommodate the selection of any race of either gender regardless of your notions to the contrary.

Ok you got me...on the box part. but alot or most of the time especially when the game was first announced they always showed a Nord. you win that round tho.

and the lyrics I'm citing are from the song every bard in the game sings. damn it I dont have the time to know everything about this fake universe cut me some damn slack and quit being such an Elder Pointdexter (sp.)

Dagmar

...cut me some damn slack and quit being such an Elder Pointdexter (sp.)
The slack you're getting is exactly the amount you deserve for going off like bull in a china shop with your initial post in this thread which had a palpably arrogant tone. If you're largely ignorant about the game series in particular and this game in particular at least have the temerity to post in an appropriate manner.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Dragons are called the Handmaidens of Akatosh somewhere I think... So that makes them the equivalent of Valkeries right? no wait
"They are believed to be the children of Akatosh and as such are specially attuned to the flow of time itself"
bet somebody miss read that. Like the Dragonborn song referring to nords... sorry carry on.

I was not trying to be arrogant, I was disgusted at the level of contempt aimed at this poor sod for stating an opinion/asking a question. and for the last time Every Bard Sings a song about the dragonborn in which they say, and I quote AGAIN "with a voice wielding power of the ancient nord tongue" I did not misread a damn thing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts