Why would a vampire want to join the Dawnguard?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I'm not looking for pros and cons, I'm looking for a reason why a rational, run-of-the-mill vampire just minding his own business as an occasionally bloodsucking fiend would want to join a guild of renowned vampire hunters, completely unaware that it would inadvertently put him into contact with vampire royalty and on the path to unlimited power.

The only way to get in with with Clan Volkihar is by enlisting with the Dawnguard first, and you're given no rationale whatsoever for even considering this if you're already a vampire by the time you hear about them. It seems like a huge oversight. It's like the game gives you the choice between being a paladin and a really powerful necromancer, except that you have to choose to be a paladin once before getting the second option, and if you're already a normal necromancer before then, you have to go join a paladin order anyway.

My guy is a wandering alchemist, not an adventurer per-se, but willing enough to get into trouble if he has someone there to protect him and there's a tangible reward, who is infected with vampirism while investigating the burned-down house in Morthal, doing his best to deal with it while his conscience and humanity slowly corrodes and a talent for bending the minds of others manifests.

And while I obviously haven't made it easy for myself to find excuses to do anything interesting besides feeding, picking flowers and running away from bandits, I have no idea whatsoever how to get involved with the Volkihar without completely ruining my immersion.

Any ideas for why he, or any normal vampire, would want to join Isran and the merry men?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
He would more likely join Harkon. He would go to the people who would actually "protect" him for what he is. Well most likely.

Is there a fundamental reason he wouldn't join the vampires?

AS88

Staff member
The Volkihar are a secretive lot, but perhaps by getting involved with the Dawnguard for just long enough to learn what they know, you'll be able to find the information you need and slip away to find Harkon.

(Edit - I read it again, properly this time.)

Errmm.. Maybe your character wants to find out how much they know, how serious they are and how far they are willing to go. Perhaps you're interested in a cure, but want to gain their trust before you say anything. Perhaps you want to find out what they know so you can either a) take them apart from the inside, or b) know where they won't be looking, and go there.

The keep-your-enemies-closer idea is... viable. It's a bit silly, as you wouldn't exactly go looking to join Al-Quaeda just to find out how to best avoid them. But yes, it's certainly a reason for a somewhat reckless or just very, very confident vampire to seek out the Dawnguard.

To answer Skies, yes, I would like for him to join Harkon. My gripe is with the fact that you have to specifically seek out and join the Dawnguard of your own volition to ever meet Serena and Harkon in the first place, which seems counter-intuitive from a roleplaying standpoint. To say nothing of the whole being-compelled-to-help-Serena-home-to-hand-the-world-altering-artifact-over-to-her-evil-father-even-though-you're-sworn-to-destroy-vampires issue, which fortunately isn't my problem this time around. Really, the Dawnguard DLC is railroading as all hell, and sometimes in ways that don't make any sense at all.

CaptMorgan72

This is an easy question. To infiltrate their ranks. To learn what they know. Why does the CIA and NSA exist? Information is power. If I were a vampire and I became aware of an organization that exists to destroy my kind, I would want to know what they know. Its the best possible way to survive.

Wildroses

Maybe your alchemist is mad about being infected with vampirism so recently and wants revenge on vampirekind for what happened to him.

Of course, the problem with this solution is it creates a brand new problem: Why would someone who was so keen on killing vampires they joined a vampire killing society suddenly decide to join the Volkihars? Impressed with Serana? Impressed by Harkon? Having second thoughts about the wisdom of a vampire joining a vampire hunting society? Deciding to accept his condition and bond with a new family? Seduced by the power of the Vampire Lord?

Dawnguard really has serious motivation issues no matter which path you chose.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Just act like you don't even know who the Dawnguard is. and when you leave the fort to go find Serana kill every Dawnguard member outside after learning who they are also it would make more sense that way because I honestly have no idea how the Dawnguard ended up finding out your a vampire in the first place, by killing the dawnguard outside it would raise suspicion would it not?

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
What better way to find an elusive group of like-minded individuals than to join a group which has the sole purpose of finding and destroying them? As a solitary vampire, perhaps the character decided the best way to find a clan (strength/security in numbers) was though these hunters. Once they had shown him/her the location of the clan he/she could easily dispatch of the feeble warriors and take his/her rightful place in the clan.

The fact that the clan found is Volkihar only proves that the divines love the character and want him/her to continue on the dark path.

Rimfaxe96

Maybe he once went too deep into the cellar, nearly got a heart attack from that feral vampire and when the clan refused to kick him out he or she wants misplaced revenge? :confused:

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
What better way to find an elusive group of like-minded individuals than to join a group which has the sole purpose of finding and destroying them? As a solitary vampire, perhaps the character decided the best way to find a clan (strength/security in numbers) was though these hunters. Once they had shown him/her the location of the clan he/she could easily dispatch of the feeble warriors and take his/her rightful place in the clan.

The fact that the clan found is Volkihar only proves that the divines love the character and want him/her to continue on the dark path.
Ironic that you say that i had a look through the creation kit at Harkon's dialogue he had a fair bit of dialogue that was never added including 1 bit where he says "it was not chance that brought you to me it was your destiny" or something like that

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
If I was doing it, I would RP it as they were turned against their will and vows to track down the fiend and every last one of them, and so joins the Dawnguard. But then after meeting Serana he/she slowly comes around to the benefits of being a vampire and so changes sides.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts