Why The Elder Scrolls Online Was Rated M by the ESRB

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shawn Hopkins

The earlier announcement of the rating was probably no surprise as it's the same rating as Skyrim, but it's interesting to see the justification for such things. According to the Entertainment Software Ratins Board's recently released official synopsis, it looks as if violence, drunkenness, and some really awkward sexual innuendo sealed the deal.

This is a multiplayer online role-playing game in which players assume the role of a warrior in the fantastical world of Nirn. As players explore open-world environments, they can perform various quests and complete tasks. Characters use swords, arrows, axes, and magic attacks (e.g., lightning, fire attacks) to kill human-like and fantastical enemies (e.g., orcs, demons, giant insects). Players engage in melee-style combat, hacking and slashing at various enemies; battles are highlighted by cries of pain, impact sounds, and blood splashes. Some sequences depict large amounts of blood streaming up-close as vampires attack/feed on characters. In some quests players have the ability to mount creatures' severed heads onto pikes; some environments depict corpse piles or skeletons hanging from torture devices. Text descriptions or dialogue sometimes contain references to sexual material and/or innuendo (e.g., “She...raped the men as cruelly as Bal had ravished her”; “In his mind, she would be the sheath to every knight's blade”; “No sweetmeat for you”; But it is huge! It could take me all night!”). During the course of the game, alcohol (i.e., wine, mead, ale) can be purchased and consumed by the central character; one sequence prompts players to engage in a drinking contest, resulting in the central character's blurred vision/slurred speech.

Bethesda has already said it won't challenge the rating or change the game.

The Elder Scrolls Online releases to the PC and Mac on April 4, 2014 and to the Xbox One and PS4 in June of 2014.
View the Post on the Blog

Lucid

Interesting. Apparently I've missed "the good stuff" during all of my beta play sessions. I've not seen or read anything that would justify a M rating. Assuming of course that my setting people on fire at 20-paces would ordinarily get a T rating.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts