Why is there so little to do with your children?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Commodus

I love Hearthfire, and I really enjoyed being able to start a family. But did anyone else really feel a bit bad that the options with your adopted kids were so limited? You could give them a gift (Well, apart from Alesan) and play a few games, but that was it. When they were in the house, they wandered around like a stranger, and it ended up feeling really ghostly.

Don't you think it would be nice to have a few more dialogue options? You can't even tell your son or daughter you love them! And why not have the ability to give them a hug? I felt so bad for them, especially when kids like Alesan were being worked so hard, and others were being physically abused by Grelod :sadface:

I also would have loved a few quests. Like maybe sorting out a birthday party, finding all the various foods, hiring a drunken clown, and so on.

What do you guys think? Were you happy with the adoption system? Or would you liked them to have done more with it?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I do agree that I wish there were more things to do with children. It seems like they're just strangers and not actually your children... it's funny how you can give them 1000 septims and they're all happy and then you can say "go do your chores" and they're like "come on!" What the heck? I just gave you a HUGE allowance and you're complaining about CHORES?? Sometimes I think the kids are so daggone ungrateful. :eek:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I love Hearthfire, and I really enjoyed being able to start a family. But did anyone else really feel a bit bad that the options with your adopted kids were so limited? You could give them a gift (Well, apart from Alesan) and play a few games, but that was it. When they were in the house, they wandered around like a stranger, and it ended up feeling really ghostly.

Don't you think it would be nice to have a few more dialogue options? You can't even tell your son or daughter you love them! And why not have the ability to give them a hug? I felt so bad for them, especially when kids like Alesan were being worked so hard, and others were being physically abused by Grelod :sadface:

I also would have loved a few quests. Like maybe sorting out a birthday party, finding all the various foods, hiring a drunken clown, and so on.

What do you guys think? Were you happy with the adoption system? Or would you liked them to have done more with it?
I thought it was very realistic. Exactly the way I treated my real life children. Go to bed. Here's 5K to spend. See ya in another year. I never played games with them, ever.

I'm sure there are mods out there if you really want to treat them like people, but, they're kids. Since when are kids people too? :)

Lucid

It would have been cool if the Hearthfire adoptions were more immersive, and I do like the Birthday Party quest idea above (maybe Cicero as the clown o_O).

I was a little disappointed when I did adoptions the first time, now I just roll with it. Many of my characters aren't the nuturing type and don't adopt. For those that do I imagine that I've explained to them, "Look, I've got a lot going on and I'd be plopse as a parent. I can promise you a better life than you have now, and a warm, comfortable home with people to take care of you. But don't expect much from me as mommy/daddy."

One of my follower mods (not sure which) improved my spouse interaction with the kids. It's not uncommon for me to find my spouse or follower sitting in the kids room reading with them, or otherwise doing something. I've got a screenshot in my album of Ulfric sitting on Sofie's bed with her, she's sweetly clutching her dolly, and they're both watching Alesan hack at the training dummy. It was so warm and domestic that I had to leave immediately and spend the night in the palace :p

Daelon DuLac

I do, however wish you could adopt more than 2. You should be able to adopt as many as you have beds for. I could have probably 6 each HF home + 2 each regular property (10) given how many extra beds I have in my many homes (That's 28 I think). You know, kind of clean out the orphanage and get all the kids off the street. Sure, I'd ignore them and just give 'em cash and presents, but, at least they'd have homes!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
My two will be getting enchanted dragonbone daggers soon. If they weren't adopted, I could say they're Dragonborn born...

GlacialDoom

I'm guessing that the children adoption mechanic was just an afterthought, so they probably didn't have much time to develop it. Given the price point and the amount of content that the DLC had, I wouldn't be surprised if only a small team of developers worked on this DLC, while the others probably worked on Dragonborn.

Daelon DuLac

At the risk of repeating myself, why would you want to do things with your kids? You can already play games with them and order them to do things. What, ya wanna take them on your adventures? Teach 'em to knit?

Just ditch 'em at one of the houses you never visit. They'll be fine. That's what a steward/housecarl is for.

I only wish they had a boarding school option, you know, so I could send them to Cyrodil or something.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Perhaps in the next installment, your children could actually age. Assuming of course that the game would/could take place over several years of in-game time. They could eventually move out, go on adventures of their own, perhaps following in your footsteps. Perhaps you didn't treat them so well, and they become an enemy, equal in power to you eventually. Perhaps they live at home forever and drink all the mead...

Parselmagic

Perhaps in the next installment, your children could actually age. Assuming of course that the game would/could take place over several years of in-game time. They could eventually move out, go on adventures of their own, perhaps following in your footsteps. Perhaps you didn't treat them so well, and they become an enemy, equal in power to you eventually. Perhaps they live at home forever and drink all the mead...
That would actually be very interesting, the option for them to be an ally or an enemy. I don't know how they would handle the aging though since one of the charms about Elder Scrolls is the player's ability to ignore seemingly urgent and catastrophic events for as long as they please, with no consequence. I do want elf and beast children too in the next game. It would also be cool if there were different age groups, even if you don't see them age through them. Like, have some toddlers, children, and teenagers walking around.

sticky runes

Children have plenty of content. Way more than spouses do. If anything, there needs to be more to do with marriage partners than snotty little brats.

Olivia W

I feel the same way about the limited options. When I got the DLC, I was looking forward to the children the most. I was excited for adoption to be an option. I was quite disappointed when the realization came that you couldn't do much with them. I wish there were more options. The idea of quests having to do with the children was brilliant! I also agree with the loving affections.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts