Why is my mage so weak?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JamesIsch311

Im level 19 now and my mage (high elf) is struggling in places. This is my first mage so it is expected. I have put all needed points in destruction (except impact wich I hear is worth it), conjuration i have been using atronachs and put most of the points i could and use em often. On top of that i have been using the flesh spells and experimenting with some illusion and resto as well. I keep finding myself having to use one handed wepons when i get in a tight spot and enchanted armor that i find. Should i just stick with it till I get a little higher in level or start specing into makeing him a battle mage?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
My vote is stick with it! So your main focus is Destruction and Conjuration with a side of Alteration and minor Illusion/Restoration. Placed most of your level-up stat points into Magicka? Maybe it's time to put a few into Health if you are having trouble.

Which enemies are you having trouble with, and what exactly is your combat like? Which Race and which Standing Stone are you using?

I imagine your combat would go something like this: Open up with a Flesh spell for armor in one hand, and an Atronach in the other hand. Cast both of those, and then bring out the (probably Flames?) in both hands to pulse at your enemies. You kite the enemies and let your Atronach take the brunt of the attack.

If you have started the Main Quest and activated Shouts, you can get the Become Ethereal for a chance to recover a bit of Magicka and take time to heal yourself with Restoration. The first word of Fire/Frost breath is also good for a stagger and some damage. Slow Time can be used to help get yourself into a better position, or shoot 6 Firebolts in 1 second.

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
Welcome to the forums OP!

Magic, in my idea, is weak in this game. I cannot usually make a mage without using armor, so I usually enchant some armor with reduction costs and fly into battle. But from what you said, it seems you're going for the roleplaying mage (since mages most of the time do not wear armor except for Battlemages).

Do what Streets said, and let your Atronach get the brunt of the attack, while you cast from afar (this works well with the area damage from fireball).

JamesIsch311

Thanks, and I seem to have the most trouble with other mages and bandits in large groups when im confined to keeps or other small spaces. thats about how my combat goes open up with flesh flame atronach maybe a rune if i can waste some magicka then sit back and cast fire bolt two handed or flames. dwemner ruins are tough for me but getting a lil bit easier with recent levels. I am a high elf and was using apprentice stone but had to go back to mage stone because mages were just to much.

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
Thanks, and I seem to have the most trouble with other mages and bandits in large groups when im confined to keeps or other small spaces. thats about how my combat goes open up with flesh flame atronach maybe a rune if i can waste some magicka then sit back and cast fire bolt two handed or flames. dwemner ruins are tough for me but getting a lil bit easier with recent levels. I am a high elf and was using apprentice stone but had to go back to mage stone because mages were just to much.

Ahh, Dwemer Ruins were always a pain for me too. Fire spells seems to work best against them, but frost (or is it electricity?) have no effect on them.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Mages just take more time to get to a point where they are powerful when compared to warrior types. In the long run, when you start getting more perks (like impact) and expert level or higher spells, you'll see a huge difference in your character.

By the way, magic is NOT weak in this game if you don't use exploits to raise the attack/armor ratings of your weapons and armor past their normal maximums. Anyone who says magic is weak is either using exploits or never got a mage to a significant level to be effective.

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
Mages just take more time to get to a point where they are powerful when compared to warrior types. In the long run, when you start getting more perks (like impact) and expert level or higher spells, you'll see a huge difference in your character.

By the way, magic is NOT weak in this game if you don't use exploits to raise the attack/armor ratings of your weapons and armor past their normal maximums. Anyone who says magic is weak is either using exploits or never got a mage to a significant level to be effective.

Guilty of the second. :sadface:

ShadowGambit

here is my opinion:

Conjuration Destruction combo is nice if you know how to use it.

here is how I would play it. Streets advice for the first cast is good. Cast your minion as far as possible from you and as close as possible from your enemies. Your minion will take the aggro but LET THEM TIME TO TAKE THE AGGRO before casting offensive spells. Choose the melee type minion, they are more resistant. Keep an eye on their health status and be ready to recast them as soon as they die.

Destruction: Target Mage and then Archer first. they are the most dangerous for you. Impact is good, take it.

You may also have leveled in skills that you don't need in your build. But by doing so, you have increase your level and therefore increase the level of enemies you will encounter. Focus on your main skill first (conjuration and destruction). try to find some destruction potions at vendors, they will increase your damage output.

JamesIsch311

Right on im maken it just waitn to hit that point where i can do it and not just make it everytime.

JamesIsch311

Woo! finishing the college gave me some cool gear so its not as bad now but i find my self still using the axe on other mages but im gonna keep at it till i hit that point where i have it down without it. Thanks everyone.

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
Woo! finishing the college gave me some cool gear so its not as bad now but i find my self still using the axe on other mages but im gonna keep at it till i hit that point where i have it down without it. Thanks everyone.

I don't know if this has already been asked, but do you use wards?

Tivo

Dovahkiin
Some Lightning(Shock) spells drain enemy's magicka rendering them unable to cast spells. This forces enemy mages to switch to their melee with is as effective against you as a pack of twizzlers.

Note: This also works on dragons. If you drain a dragon's magicka, it won't be able to use its fire/frost breath or whatever it has.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
For help with your Magicka reserves cook and stock up on Elsweyr Fondue. The ingredients are 1 Eidar Cheese Wheel, 1 Moon Sugar and 1 Ale. You can get a fair amount of Eidar Cheese Wheels by breaking into the East Empire Warehouse in Haafingar and it respawns every 10 days. You can purchase Moon Sugar from Khajiit merchants and also loot from the Skooma dealers who you meet while traveliing the roads of Skyrim (they are very easy to provoke into combat). Ale can be purchased at most inns. It will temporarily raise your Magicka by 100 and regenerate 25 magicka points per second for 12 minutes.

For other mages you should get your magic resistance up. The Lord Stone in Falkreath is pretty useful for this as it will give you 25% magic resistance as well as add 50 points to your armor rating. You can get another 15% from completing the quest The Book of Love for Dinya Balu at the Temple of Mara in Riften. You can get additional magic resistance in any number of ways from found or custom enchanted items to taking Magic Resistance perks from the Alteration perk tree. In addition you can use Ward spells (which will also block Shout attacks).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts