• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
Honestly, I just keep followers around for company, because I like listening to them and getting the little bit of flavor that they add to the game. I've also never played a stealth-oriented character and so, have never experienced the horror of a friend charging out of hiding to slaughter a guy.

However, in order to use followers, I have downloaded a lot of mods. First of all, I've got "Undying Companions," which makes just about all followers essential, so I don't have to worry about accidentally killing them or getting them killed in my wild adventures. Next is "Follower Trap Safety," which makes companions unable to trip any traps. And finally, I forget what it's called, but there's a mod which acts like a leash on any given follower. It forces them to keep up with you across rough terrain, even when you're riding a horse. It also makes them climb mountains and jump down holes. And all of that combined eliminates pretty much all the qualms I had with followers.

I had issues with Lydia for sure. But now, I am having Aela tag along with me, and she actually is at least a little useful. Her sneak skill is very high, and she much prefers archery, so she hardly ever gets in my way. But on average followers have been quite a hindrance to me haha. Good article!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
TBH I probably like using a companion because I don't have one in real life :sadface:

It makes the game more fun for me, even though my companion, and all of them, are pretty dull.

I equip my companion (Aela) wih two staves and she uses them, and that is a lot of fun.

Your point about combat skill levelling is good and it never occurred to me.... That may have been the reason why I had such a hard time at the beginning... On the other hand, without a follower some battles would have been hell....

Sneaking is supposed to be fixed with the last update but I haven't tested it properly. They still trigger traps, even Karliah and Brylnoff, who really ought to know better!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Also, Companion Hotkey mod, makes swapping items much quicker. No dialogue!

The Balance

Own Face.
Been playing Skyrim since release - been followerless since two days after release.

From breaking stealth, to soaking up attacks meant for enemies, to saying consistently repetitive annoying plops, to dying from AOE spells and causing quest line's to break (Mage's college anyone?) I quickly hit my limit. Now, if I take a follower, its because I don't link them - and I go get them killed.

Good post :)

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Appreciate the article, didn't read all the comments... one thing I would suggest though is that you branch out in the TYPES of followers you employ. If you're an in-your-face or stealth type, find a follower who complements you as a ranged type. Grab a Mage follower like J'zargo, Marcurio, or an archer like Faendal or Aela. Try to only give them the option of ranged combat by being selective in what you give them.

Waffle_Bombs

In combat, I don't need a companion (FEAR MY WARHAMMMER, KNAVES), but they do make excellent mobile containers. But honestly, that's about it.

Dominico

I llike this its funny but nearly all of them are not a problem. I forget them when out and about and they always catch up or appear when u enter the next place you are going to. Also take a stealth companion and give them stealth equipment if this isnt our style. Of course a knight in armour iis going to be heard.! You can also ask them to stay put while you sneak on simples.
I dont hit them accidently really but I may just have mad accuracy, if you stand next to them in a doorway they will move also. I do agree with the speech comment. They should have made 2or more comments for giving equipment as it is repetitiive, or no comment at all or just mm. Nice article though!

bananban

I agree with you wholeheartedly. In tough melee battles I like to have some kind of companion with me simply because they can tank the whole battle and attract the attention of the enemies. That's only because my stealth-based character can't take lots of hits from strong melee weapons.

My only companions as of late have become conjured Atronachs. They're more diverse than human companions (can use both magic and melee) and don't get in the way as often even though they get killed often by high leveled opponents.

Soar Tueth

JUST SHUT UP

One of the biggest complaints I hear about companions is that they’re one-dimensional when it comes to dialogue; either they say next to nothing, or they say the same things again and again and again. You can only hear “I am your sword and your shield” so many times before wanting to hurl yourself off of the Throat of the World.

But my issue with follower dialogue is a little different: they have a knack for choosing the most inappropriate response possible for whatever situation you’re in. This can make for some comical moments, but mostly it just makes me want to rip my hair out.

I have a third issue. Mjoll--bless her heart-- goes into one of her charming stories over the dialog of other characters. I can't hear what they say, so I have to read the subtitles.

Short of commanding, "Wait here," shouldn't our sneak pose signal silence? So why must she regail me while we're trying to surprise our foes?

Siah

I actually almost never take a follower with me. I tried it a while with aela as an archer, which didn't prove to be too incredibly awful, but I saw the potential issues pretty much immediately and have stuck with the solo style. The only reason I'd want one in the first place is for the extra carry capacity anyway. Just to say that you're not the only one who much prefers the solo way ^_^

Siah

I do remember once early on when i had lydia. A frost dragon attacked and she went off running about to kill the thing and i had to hide a min to get health... then after i killed the thing, she was gone. I mean I searched and searched and couldn't find a body or anything. Guess she dissolved in the dragon's stomach >.>

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
JUST SHUT UP

One of the biggest complaints I hear about companions is that they’re one-dimensional when it comes to dialogue; either they say next to nothing, or they say the same things again and again and again. You can only hear “I am your sword and your shield” so many times before wanting to hurl yourself off of the Throat of the World.

But my issue with follower dialogue is a little different: they have a knack for choosing the most inappropriate response possible for whatever situation you’re in. This can make for some comical moments, but mostly it just makes me want to rip my hair out. In one memorable incident, I killed a Draugr that was attacking Mercer Frey while we traversed Snow Veil Sanctum. How does he show his gratitude? By angrily shouting, “Hey, watch it!” because I happened to get within sword’s reach of him while saving his life. Sorry, Mercer! Next time I’ll just let the Draugr eat you! This goes hand in hand with the problem of followers throwing themselves between your weapon and your enemy; as soon as they willingly impale themselves upon your blade, they’re snapping at you to be careful. Makes sense.

I'm totally with you on this! The number of times I'll head into a cave with my follower, spend about an hour slaughtering and pillaging and so on, and then just as we leave Lydia'll go "Hey, a cave. Wonder what's inside?"

...We were just IN THERE, you silly woman. Remember? You almost got killed a few times? No?

Sigh.

Great article :D

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Honestly, I just keep followers around for company, because I like listening to them and getting the little bit of flavor that they add to the game.

That's actually one more reason I dislike followers - I would love to have a friend with me on my adventures, but you can't exactly sit down and have lunch and a lovely conversation with your followers. When they do talk, they sound like someone under my employ rather than an actual companion. Makes me sad sometimes when I do have a follower.

Appreciate the article, didn't read all the comments... one thing I would suggest though is that you branch out in the TYPES of followers you employ. If you're an in-your-face or stealth type, find a follower who complements you as a ranged type. Grab a Mage follower like J'zargo, Marcurio, or an archer like Faendal or Aela. Try to only give them the option of ranged combat by being selective in what you give them.

That's my current strategy. I tried Faendal, thinking he'd be a good complement to my Bosmer archer, but he mostly used daggers instead of a bow, and kept getting in my way like the warriors do. Now I'm trying out Onmund, and so far I'm quite impressed! He carries a bow as well, but he's only used Sparks thus far - which means he's staying out of my way, and doing a good amount of damage to enemies. Not bad!

Also take a stealth companion and give them stealth equipment if this isnt our style. Of course a knight in armour iis going to be heard.!

The problem isn't them making noise, though, it's them charging in with swords swinging the second the enemy thinks something is amiss - whether he hears them, or me, or sees either of us. If he hears me when I'm alone, I can stay still or hide and he'll forget about it, allowing me to continue my sneak attack. Not so with followers.

My only companions as of late have become conjured Atronachs.

Same here! I've never used them until now, and I'm very impressed with their usefulness. I love my little flame atronachs. They've saved my life more times than I can count!

The number of times I'll head into a cave with my follower, spend about an hour slaughtering and pillaging and so on, and then just as we leave Lydia'll go "Hey, a cave. Wonder what's inside?"

...We were just IN THERE, you silly woman. Remember? You almost got killed a few times? No?

I haven't gotten that myself but I've heard other people talk about it, and it sounds HILARIOUS! Lydia, so pretty, yet so very, very stupid.

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
I'm an Assassin and have 3 followers. They get in my way sometimes but I always make sure I'm in front of them so they don't get in my way. I have 1 archer that stands back, Me that changes from a bow to daggers, M'joll and the Male DBI that charges in to attack any of our enemies. I got the skill I wanted to pretty high so I barely mind them taking some of my skill points.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I've got to say, guys... I've been using Onmund the past few days as I've been doing College of Winterhold quests, and he's fantastic! He stays well out of my way and kicks major ass with his lightning bolts. He's still gotten lost a couple of times, and blocked me in a few tight spots, but overall, he's a great follower! Head and shoulders above Lydia, Aela, Faendal, or any of the quest-specific followers. I'm so pleased with him that I even bought him $4,000 Adept Robes of Destruction. Oh, and married him...

The Balance

Own Face.
I'm an Assassin and have 3 followers. They get in my way sometimes but I always make sure I'm in front of them so they don't get in my way. I have 1 archer that stands back, Me that changes from a bow to daggers, M'joll and the Male DBI that charges in to attack any of our enemies. I got the skill I wanted to pretty high so I barely mind them taking some of my skill points.

I've tried controlling them, running ahead of them, nearly killing them before a fight starts. These guys just don't listen. Nor are they that helpful as a pure mage because I can't case AOE spells :sadface:

It's the same routine when exploring: Sneak, Fury until there's one enemy left, destruction until it's dead.

Booya.

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
Has anybody tried giving their companion muffled shoes. I gave the dark elf follower my entire dark brotherhood outfit. We seemed to stay hidden pretty well.
Thats a good idea. i hate followers cuz i play the game now with only a bow. Ive foud that bows are much more affective with a sneak attack. Followers ruin that. I realy only use them for pack mules. When i do use them, they get left at the beginning of a dungeon, then when i clear it, i come get them to carry all the loot that i cant. I would love it if they STAYED behind me and sneaked well. But also i pretty much never use them after lvl. 20. Most loot starts to be worth more, and i have less use for money. But all around i hate them....

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
Honestly, I just keep followers around for company, because I like listening to them and getting the little bit of flavor that they add to the game. I've also never played a stealth-oriented character and so, have never experienced the horror of a friend charging out of hiding to slaughter a guy.

However, in order to use followers, I have downloaded a lot of mods. First of all, I've got "Undying Companions," which makes just about all followers essential, so I don't have to worry about accidentally killing them or getting them killed in my wild adventures. Next is "Follower Trap Safety," which makes companions unable to trip any traps. And finally, I forget what it's called, but there's a mod which acts like a leash on any given follower. It forces them to keep up with you across rough terrain, even when you're riding a horse. It also makes them climb mountains and jump down holes. And all of that combined eliminates pretty much all the qualms I had with followers.
That works, but those and all mods are borderline, if not all the way, cheat codes. I am extreamly biest twards cheat codes, or any game altering thing. I feel that if u need to alter the game in order to make it beatable, or even fun, you shouldnt b playin it

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts