Open Why did so many great RP just stop?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

TheDreamersverse

Brit Fahiil Vahdin
    So I have to say I'm pretty new to the Forums, but not to the role playing game. Even if I don't get accepted into a Roleplay I still like to read it and see how their story progresses, and if you could think of it like a cliffhanger that never ends, when these RP's just... Stop. It's like ruining a great story, a story that you want to be apart of. A story with no end just an abrupt stop.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    Interests and priorities change, and motivations weaken.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
    It is sad, but with 3 or more people to rely on it could sometimes get tedious. Some people would write every day and others would be hard pressed finding time for a post a week. Also once 1 person loses interest it becomes harder for every1 else to pick up the slack.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    As they've said above me, it's a problem of managing people, and maintaining their interests over time.

I find that the best balance is a role play that is either designed to be relatively short, or which consists of short-term investment goals; the story, itself, may be larger in ultimate scope, but you sort of have smaller adventures along the road toward that goal. That gives people a chance to disappear when they need to disappear, and come back for the next chapter if time frees up. It can also help to keep the action moving forward, instead of plodding along as people try to figure out how to get to the longer-term goal while floundering with the immediate stuff.

I think, from a composition standpoint, it also helps to encourage length parameters. Nothing that impedes creativity, obviously, but there are times where using more words does not create a better post. This is true of narrative writing, in general, and why I always encourage writers to take up flash fiction exercises; you learn to choose your words carefully so they have the most impact possible, and convey the most accurate information without taking up too much space. And there are times where a really long RP post can end up dragging down the tone and pace of the whole RP. That can contribute to RP death, as well.

So, to the future of forum RP, I suggest post length guides, and an episodic treatment -- like The Twilight Zone, or even American Horror Story. In The Twilight Zone, it could technically be said that every episode happens in the same universe by virtue of it beginning in our native universe, and at some point in each episode, the subjects cross over into The Twilight Zone, which seems to be a place which responds to the people and circumstances which enter it, but more importantly, each episode is fully self-contained. You know the essence of what you're getting into, but the message and path differ each time.

American Horror Story is an interesting beast, though, as each season definitely shares a universe with the others (including character cross-overs), but each season is also self-contained. There is a larger story per season, but once a season wraps up, the cast is free to pursue other projects. Some stay on, of course, and take on new characters (or play a cross-over throw back to a previously established character they played), but once the season wraps up, they are not contractually obligated to stay for the next.

I feel these are two great examples of how RP could be run to conclusion (at least some kind of conclusion) without sputtering to a stop because people go their separate ways, or can't be kept motivated to post.

TheDreamersverse

Brit Fahiil Vahdin
    I totally agree with you but it's still makes me sad ya know? Like when you finished what you think is the last book in a series but then find out that it was all a cliffhanger for until the author writes another book, but then the author like dies or something so you never get to know what could be.

kenia153

It is rather disappointing :sadface: I've been in about 3 I think, on this forum, and they all died. I'd get really invested in the story too so it's almost heartbreaking!

I've had better luck with rps that consist of people who are ok with not writing an entire novel per post. I think everyone sort of gets in the mindset that more is more when really that's not always the case in writing.

Staff member
    It is rather disappointing :sadface: I've been in about 3 I think, on this forum, and they all died. I'd get really invested in the story too so it's almost heartbreaking!

I've had better luck with rps that consist of people who are ok with not writing an entire novel per post. I think everyone sort of gets in the mindset that more is more when really that's not always the case in writing.
    It's more along the lines that people tend to become too busy to write a full length post that they feel is quality.

kenia153

It's more along the lines that people tend to become too busy to write a full length post that they feel is quality.
    Yeah that's basically what I mean't. But you don't really need a 'full-length' post to have a quality post. It's easier to make time for something like a rp when you don't feel required to write an entire novella, in my opinion.

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
    It's a mix of real life obligations and honestly waning interest in the story itself. When you start one it's usually at a point where you have a lot of time on your hands and you have one great lake full of ideas. Then anything can happen at the worst moment. Something takes away some of that time such as a job, family time, or a hobby you've picked up. You put more work in that and eventually you come on less and the quality of the posts you do become watered down. Then you don't feel as creative and give less attention until eventually you forget about the story. I've been there often and it's a very bad feeling when it does eventually die. No one wants to put their all in something only to feel like it was for naught.

Sweetroll76

i myself tend to prefer smaller group rp's. So that planning is less stressful. I just joined and notice that some things are years old and some are months. You just have to wait til the next wave of people come around.

Skyrimosity

A lot of us great RP'ers went their separate ways (oh God, I would cringe so hard if I read anything I wrote from even over a year ago). Even in the course of 1 story, you have people who stop showing up to the forums or have life intervene. I was in a ton of RP's on these forums over the years and not a single one ever actually reached a natural conclusion. 'Tis a shame, but the fun is in the journey as they say

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    A lot of us great RP'ers went their separate ways (oh God, I would cringe so hard if I read anything I wrote from even over a year ago). Even in the course of 1 story, you have people who stop showing up to the forums or have life intervene. I was in a ton of RP's on these forums over the years and not a single one ever actually reached a natural conclusion. 'Tis a shame, but the fun is in the journey as they say
    Hey now don't say that, you've written some fantastic stuff and it was a ton of fun to RP with you even if the stories died. ;)

Staff member
    *grumble grumble grumble grumble*

Rextoret

top kek
    f7dcfae159d7f3cc9955d812977ebce135975222.gif
    Journey > destination et al, over like 2/3 years or whatever of iok and at least 10 separate rps afaik, we never finished one (or even came close)

Part of that was that I think some of us enjoyed character building and world building just as much as actually writing if not more.

fellowknight

The Devil In The Details
    2017 was the last good year for this forum. At least, role-play wise. Our inspirations were being tapered, but we hadn't resigned to retire just yet; real-life priorities and accountabilities were more malleable, work scheduling and family/friend events more flexible. Our passion took precedent, and we weren't afraid to admit it.

God knows I miss those times. These recent years, the past two in particular, have proven the shift in priority over passion easily. Three RPs die out, within months/ a year of each-other, no rhyme or reason to it? No. We decided, long before the Bat-Flu, that this place wasn't our home anymore. I missed those moments, those precious days or weeks or even months of indecision and unanimous apathetic stagnation. I wish I hadn't. Or rather, that I knew what I know now. That I was as improved a writer as I am now.

Fading Hope was an absolute dumpster fire, no two ways about it. The original Idea was a "medieval zombie apocalypse" with a 'What-If?' cherry to top it. It became so much more, and if not for the bloat caused by the "Open" tag, which perpetuated a constant shifting focus from group to group with no real stakes or investment-to-payoff, or my dependency on an intrigued cast of writers far more talented/weathered than I, well... It would've been an RP to be trifled with. Hands down. It was my baby, and I let it go. Not a day goes by when that missed opportunity doesn't bother me.

The core of this issue of stagnation and inactivity is a mass vacancy. Not to toot any horns, and I mean that. But most of us, the "original cast/ writers" either outgrew this place, lost interest/sight in our place in it, or tried and failed to support/write in the resurgent RPs/ structures that followed in recent years, teasing story premises that would never hold. Life happens, I agree. But to what extent are we willing to commit our time to the stories that stop us from scrolling and instead, presenting a Character Card?

I watch now, a little everyday (in spite of technical issues with the website), because I miss it. The Hunt. Reforging An Empire (1-2). Among The Stars. Ascension. The Ruins. A Fading Hope. Victory's Price. The Corrupted Guardian. The Republic of Free Men. Age of War. Family and Honor. Into The Dark. Revelations Of Violence. Forsaken Agreement. The list goes on, and on, and on, and on. All frozen in time, and all still so lucrative to me.

I witnessed, like many others, the repeated re-convergence of massively experienced writers, and cursed but intriguing amalgamation of story concepts that slowly, but surely, snuffed out our passion. Or maybe I'm an a**hole, and I've naively ignored the real-life ramifications of the Bat-Flu in lieu with mounting responsibilities in the face of inflation and a political storm of crisis. Maybe, like I've read above, we just need to wait for that next wave of newcomers to flush life in here again.

All I know is in 2013, at the age of 14, I used to sit in the local McDonald's to siphon their free-WiFi and post to my heart's content. Staying up until 2 a.m. to post once or twice, with no regrets. Even on vacation, I found that time, because I loved it. While I'd barely managed that balance back then (between personal time and forum), I wouldn't change it for the world. Not for anyone.

I have no regrets. I'd do it all again just to end up back here. I scheme and plan and write the fan-fictions that may never be. In an attempt to inspire what once was to be again. A hopeless romantic praying on the grave of my lover, to resurrect and wake me. More mellow-drama, I suppose.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk ;) :beermug:

Last edited:

A.Auditore

maybe...
    At times I miss this place but mostly I miss everyone here... fired up Skyrim after so many years and made me think of you all. Wherever everyone is at, I hope you're doing good and taking care of yourselves :ashstab:

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    I miss this place. I really had a good time here and I took part in dozens of RP’s while trying to get a job after college. Even after I got one back in 2018 there was a little mini resurgence. It didn’t last. It may never come again. And I’m a different person now. I have a career. A wife of two and a half years who’s the best friend I’ll ever have and who understands what this place meant to me, being a writer herself. My interest in D&D has been completely revitalized and has been thriving since I started playing over discord during COVID. But I’ve never forgotten this place, or the people and stories I was part of. I’m ready to pick up my keyboard any time and come back like I never left. Just let me know. I’ll be here.

Morbidbread

Fight for the lost
    I miss this place. I really had a good time here and I took part in dozens of RP’s while trying to get a job after college. Even after I got one back in 2018 there was a little mini resurgence. It didn’t last. It may never come again. And I’m a different person now. I have a career. A wife of two and a half years who’s the best friend I’ll ever have and who understands what this place meant to me, being a writer herself. My interest in D&D has been completely revitalized and has been thriving since I started playing over discord during COVID. But I’ve never forgotten this place, or the people and stories I was part of. I’m ready to pick up my keyboard any time and come back like I never left. Just let me know. I’ll be here.
    You're not the only one, friend. Well...except for the wife. And D&D. But I've got a job and plops, and am ready and available if anyone wants to try this thing again. I've even got a few folks in mind. Maybe. Probably. Possibly?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts