Whats your opinion of Fast Travel?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Atz

I use F.T. alot but....... If im carrying lots of loot my new X-box will sometime's lock up . So I use auto save alot before hittng fast travel button . Oh and BTW I have cut down my lock up's by disabling all Save option's except the Auto ( quick save ) option . :bluedragon:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Lately I've been fast traveling everywhere. I'm sick of walking.
Especially once you get to know the game, the joy sometimes goes out of some of the travel. I almost never take the path to High Rothgar anymore. It is so long and boring with only the occassional encounter. I fast travel there all the time to get my shout locations. Still, the random encounters do make it fun most of the time.

skydawg

Well if you've already pretty much explored the game and you are on your 4th or 5th character and you are on a mission to lvl a new character than I say why not use it? Nothing wrong with using shortcuts if you've already explored the game imo. If your new to the game or haven't explored that much of the content than I would say try to avoid it.

Barbian94

I don't have a problem with fast travel. I use it occasionally when I'm trying to get a quest done quickly and don't want to deal with mountains and bandits. Other times, I like to hike my way to a certain destination and find new places and talk to new people.

Rocais

I am extremely protective of Frost cause he is so pretty! Therefore, I don't use it often cause I'm afraid he might get hurt or killed.

Reactions: Atz

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Lately I've been fast traveling everywhere. I'm sick of walking.
Especially once you get to know the game, the joy sometimes goes out of some of the travel. I almost never take the path to High Rothgar anymore. It is so long and boring with only the occassional encounter. I fast travel there all the time to get my shout locations. Still, the random encounters do make it fun most of the time.

I've been spending most of my time lately exploring every crack and crevice on my short hikes and in all the tombs and such. Just as time consuming and rewarding imo. Especially with Prowler's Profit. Saving up Flawless Emeralds for poison albino spiders. I already collected all the pods.

Cazimir

Sometimes I just don't have the patience to walk, especially if it's a route I've taken a million times before. Like Whiterun to Riften. But generally I try not to use fast travel.

Ted_The_Soap

Disciple of Arkay
I know how big a game Skyrim is (graphics, AI, etc.), so don't hate me when I say that fast-travel should be faster. No offense intended, and I know how hard creating a game is, but I hope that it will be a lot quicker (if implemented) in TESO.

Again, I'm not disrespecting Bethesda in any way (You're my favourite game devs, btw). ;)

It seems likely, but definitely not during combat. I can't wait to play TESO. I've waited for TESO for like, almost all of my game-playing life. I've played Oblivion since i was about 10. ;-;

Ulfberht

Slaughterer of Bunnies.
I use fast travel often, though I find that the game is funner when I decide to walk or run there. Sometimes, though, I'm just too impatient to march across the entirety of Skyrim.

I used to use fast travel whenever possible, however lately I've only used it whenever the destination I need to go to is in the hold I'm currently in (IE: going from Silent Moons camp to Whiterun), as well as using the carriage whenever I need to go across the map.

However with that being said, I'm slowly warming up again to the idea of fast traveling whenever possible. The reason being that I can't take five steps without a pack of wolves spawning. Literally, every five steps a pack of wolves spawn, I deal with them, turn back to the direction I was heading, take five steps, and encounter...another pack of wolves. I just started a new character last night, and within two hours I had already collected over thirty wolf pelts, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

I've started to use Fast Travel whenever possible again unless I'm exploring (or heading to a place in) the nearby area. Maybe it's my game being weird or whatever, but it's REALLY annoying having to deal with a pack of wolves seemingly every five steps or so. Trying to find caves/tombs/forts to explore (or heading to a quest destination) has devolved into the following: Leave city/get on a horse. Get fifteen feet from city boundary, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, Walk five steps, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, repeat ad nauseam until I've found a cave/tomb/fort/etc. Running from the wolves is pretty much pointless, by the time I reach my destination there is usually many many wolves who followed me for miles without stopping.

nightmare16

here have a cookie :)
i love fast travel if my goal is in riften and have to go to solitude, but shorter distances like say dawnstar to windhelm is perfect walking distance for me, but it comes down to how much time i have like blackdoom mentioned above. if i gotta be somewhere in an hour, im not walking any farther then i have to. its a very useful in game tool that has its own uses depending on the situation.

nightmare16

here have a cookie :)
I used to use fast travel whenever possible, however lately I've only used it whenever the destination I need to go to is in the hold I'm currently in (IE: going from Silent Moons camp to Whiterun), as well as using the carriage whenever I need to go across the map.

However with that being said, I'm slowly warming up again to the idea of fast traveling whenever possible. The reason being that I can't take five steps without a pack of wolves spawning. Literally, every five steps a pack of wolves spawn, I deal with them, turn back to the direction I was heading, take five steps, and encounter...another pack of wolves. I just started a new character last night, and within two hours I had already collected over thirty wolf pelts, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

I've started to use Fast Travel whenever possible again unless I'm exploring (or heading to a place in) the nearby area. Maybe it's my game being weird or whatever, but it's REALLY annoying having to deal with a pack of wolves seemingly every five steps or so. Trying to find caves/tombs/forts to explore (or heading to a quest destination) has devolved into the following: Leave city/get on a horse. Get fifteen feet from city boundary, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, Walk five steps, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, repeat ad nauseam until I've found a cave/tomb/fort/etc. Running from the wolves is pretty much pointless, by the time I reach my destination there is usually many many wolves who followed me for miles without stopping.

but having a thousand wolves to kill all at once is a very fun thing to do for a warm up once to get to destination or lead them into a city and let the guards deal with it lol

BG5150

Leave city/get on a horse. Get fifteen feet from city boundary, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, Walk five steps, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves,
Nothing says you have to loot them. For a measly couple of pelts?

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
It all depends. Obviously I walk to new places. But after I have played for a while I normally fast travel. Sometimes though, I don't feel like doing any quests and just go for a wander, in a random direction. You find interesting and funny things you will never come across if you fast travel everywhere ALL the time.

I walk to places if I am doing research for my fanfic, and need to know how long it takes from point A to B.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Leave city/get on a horse. Get fifteen feet from city boundary, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves, Get back on the horse, Walk five steps, Encounter wolves, Get off the horse, Defeat wolves, Loot wolves,
Nothing says you have to loot them. For a measly couple of pelts?

You do if you want to get your smithing up quickly..

JClarke1953

Being on my 5th char, and I've op'd her a bit, Iso she does a lot of running (short of Hrothgar, or the need to sell loot).

Even tho' she's op'd some, I try to have her take paths or trails, rather than cross-country. Back in the day (I got this reading Louis L 'Amour), going cross-country was dangerous. Not only because of the beast's, but also the real danger of getting hurt. You bust a leg or something out in the middle of nowhere, well, you become prey.

True, bandits and beasts are on the road, but at least they can be seen, and prepared for. Or I can run past to continue on my journey without having to mess with them

The only one's I'll stop for are refugee's from Dragon attacks, or the Thalmor with a prisoner (or without). I love how the dialogue allows me to bait the Thalmor into attacking first, then that's it for them and the Justicar's.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Wolves I can handle. What gets on my nerves is going to the rift and racking up 20 bear pelts between Invarsted and Riften along with all the wolves. Sheesh. It's no wonder the chick from Ivarsted thinks there's too many bears around. Only wish I could make bear claw jewelery. I'd make a mint.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I use it whenever I need too. When RPing my vampires, I use it to imitate flying (PS3). On PC, I don't use it since I have/had a mod that can make my Vampire Lord fly. I don't use it when RPing my hunter character.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts