What truly is the strongest combat style ?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

what is truly the best combat style

• Total voters

Locks066

theirs alot to consider when thinking about this question. like you finally getting in close range of an mage then suddenly they pull out a 2h with all the perks unlocked. Theirs alot to consider during an open combat event. Put all of the main combat styles in an arena and any could win. Shouts could change the tide of the battle for anyone. Theirs also your race and how you personally go about fighting. Do you look for an opening or do you just go ahead and hit and hope you come out on top. What can really turn the battle is your armor and the enchantments you have.

Actually, I usually play one-handed/illusion/sneak/archery/alchemy/light armor types. I find it a lot more fun than destruction magic.
That's a pretty good set up. I've tried everything, and for now settling on Shield, Destruction (And whatever else) as the most fun. For raw damage, dagger/sword is going to crank it faster than anything else. Have a long range backup, Destruction ain't a bad one for that. If you can get a dual cast Flame Cloak off before switching, and stepping in, the survivors won't be for long. For massed battles, out in the open, I'll happily switch from Impact Ice Storm to Lightning Bolt>Critical Charge to Sword, Flame Cloak, and Wall of Frost. Drop in an off hand Drainspell Sword, and go to town.

I'm a power player, and the Kit is a small part of it.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I really do respect all of what you said and this is the beauty of this forum. We can express our opinion based on the question made by the OP. First off, I am not playing in PC but Playstation 3. Second, I am not trying to convince anybody here but just giving up my opinion. Of course that if somebody disagree or think I am not right, he or she will state I am not right about my opinion. Everybody plays the game the way they like, but let’s for a second assume that you create your combat style using all the game resources and I do create mine, using also all the game resources too.
When I say, using all game resources, I mean, using Alchemy and Enchanting. If you do not use those skills, then you are not using all the game resources. It is like going into combat ( Skyrim is a combat field by the way ) without the best weapon, or the best armor, or the best training. But let’s assume, that you are using all the resources and I am also doing so as well.
You create a dual sword warrior and thru alchemy and enchanting, you increase everything. Using the alchemy loop, you made this warrior, very powerful. On the other side, I do create my shadow warrior as I do have it right now. We go against each other, result : you are dead !
It is not easy to accept we are wrong but it is wise to accept it because that is the way to learn in this life and if we are humble to accept our mistake or to accept that we are wrong, we are showing how mature and humble we are.
I don’t think that if you pair two enemies, a sniper and a let’s say, a navy seal, this last one will make it alive in real combat. Nothing beats a sniper. They are simply masters in : camouflage, stealth, surviving, shooting, melee combat using mostly knives, marksman using pistols, topographers, etc. They are alone with their spotter against an entire army. They are capable to do that because .... : they are not seen, they are undetectable and once they choose their right spot, they will kill you and you will never see it coming.
Assuming that in Skyrim two powerful warriors can face each other using those resources, I honestly don’t see how you are capable to defeat your enemy if you are not able to see him / her. For some, this is not a combat style and let me tell you, you are wrong ! It does not matter what you do in combat because your final goal is to kill your enemy and escape alive. How you are going to do that is not the question as far as you fulfill your mission.
In Skyrim, your goal is to defeat your enemy and if you can defeat him in one single hit, much better and there is not other out there in Skyrim capable to do so than a shadow warrior.
Thru alchemy and enchanting, I increased everything to thousand percentages of power : all my skills were at 100%, my armor was with 500 thousand fortify health and Stamina; my hood was 500 thousand fortify magig and mag regeneration; my boots with the same amount with one-handed, my gloves with destruction magic and conjuration, my necklace and ring enchanted as well to resist magice, etc, etc. and with that setup, I use my destruction magic on opponents playing Adept - expert, and guess what : even when I was capable to cast my lighting storm spell, I was not killing that fast.

On the other hand, I used the same amount of alchemy / enchanting to develop my new character : this time, I focused on sneaking and archery, light armor and one-handed. With this setup, I don’t need magic at all, but I am completely invisible and undetectable, and it does not matter if I am in the open or cave, day or night; they are not able to see me at all and the only one who can detect me are dragons or couriers ( what a pity ). So, I am not talking here for nothing, I do talk after I have tried everything out there and that is why, with all my due respect to others in this forum, I still believe that nothing beats a shadow warrior and it is a combat style by the way. Whoever denies this, probably you should ask a military expert if a sniper is a combat style and you will get a very iced “yes”.
Now, if you do not use alchemy / enchanting to power up your character, again, you are not using all of the resources out there to go into combat. I bet my life that whoever goest into a real combat, will never underestimate to use all of the resources. On the contrary, you would like to be more powerful than your enemy because simply my friends, not one wants to die; it is a human nature and what we really want is not just the challenge, but to challenge and face our enemy, from a better standpoint so we can defeat him faster and stay alive longer.
Last but not the least, this is my humble opinion. I do respect what you all guys said and the way you play but I would like to see you developing several combat styles using Skyrim resources to the max to find out what do you have to say after you have tried everything. If I am wrong, I do apologize in advance and I will change my opinion, I do promise you that. Prove me wrong ! Just my 2 cents .... :)

Mookie

Vegatable soup + 2 handed. Just spam those power attacks for 15 mins, then eat another one

Iveri Sarothil

You're going to get a lot of different answers based on everyone's respective preferred playstyle.
For me, the strongest combat style would be archery. But that's because I've gotten to the highest archery tier, and have upgraded my weapon so that it does over 400 base damage. I don't think there's really a clear answer as to the 'best' or 'strongest' class - you just pick what you enjoy playing and get good at it.

Oren74

The answer deals with face to face, blow by blow destructability, and ability to take punishment.

Yeah a stealth archer is powerfull, till stealth is rendered useless against a giant or a dragon priest that is in your face.
Remember, the most difficult battles in the game (which is what we're tallking about here, ANY class dominates a bandit camp), you WILL be face to face with your opponent.

I believe 1H mace, shield, and heavy armor...no archery or stealth. By far the easiest class to play and you rarely die.

Dual wield and 2H are awesome, but when you can't drop the bad guy quickly, you've lost armor and the ability to enchant a shield that gives you bonus protection like magic resist.

In addition, if you're levelling 1H (or 2H) PLUS archery, sneak &/or illusion, you're going to be a higher level, and when sneak, illusion, and archery are rendered useless (i.e. face to face with the toughest opponents in the game) you've just leveled your opponent and made them tougher in that face to face situation.

1H and shield are the perfect balance....with a close 2nd place tie ot dual wield and 2H.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
And keep in mind that anything enchanted is a magical object. So, enchanted sneaking boots would count towards a mage.

AS88

Staff member
I'm going to put this one forward without referring to game-breaking and over-powered stuff (i.e. 0 cost spells, over-powered double-enchanted gear (which is supposed to be so rare it's a myth, read Twin Secrets), etc).

Paladin.

Ability to go toe-to-toe with anyone in straight up combat, with the ability to heal if there's a free second. Sword/Axe, Shield, Heavy Armour, Restoration (wards and -flesh spells, depending on how for you take the magical side). From my experience, they're the most difficult to kill, and simply decimate anything undead.

I really do respect all of what you said and this is the beauty of this forum. We can express our opinion based on the question made by the OP. First off, I am not playing in PC but Playstation 3. Second, I am not trying to convince anybody here but just giving up my opinion. Of course that if somebody disagree or think I am not right, he or she will state I am not right about my opinion. Everybody plays the game the way they like, but let’s for a second assume that you create your combat style using all the game resources and I do create mine, using also all the game resources too.
Last but not the least, this is my humble opinion. I do respect what you all guys said and the way you play but I would like to see you developing several combat styles using Skyrim resources to the max to find out what do you have to say after you have tried everything. If I am wrong, I do apologize in advance and I will change my opinion, I do promise you that. Prove me wrong ! Just my 2 cents .... :)

Your "Humble" opinion? Look, you came right out and said that Destruction is hard to beat for raw Damage output, and that's just plain wrong. In the early game it can be powerful, but if you're using every resource in the game, 1 sword (Not even Dual Wield) quickly overtakes it in DPS. Max out the tree, you're still doing hundreds of DPS instead of Thousands with Smithing, and that's not even counting the Crafting loop. This isn't opinion, it's hard numbers, and potentially an Order of Magnitute at the high end. So yeah, that was plain wrong.

Before that, you argued with anyone who considered something other than Shadow Warrior as the most powerful, and even fell back to the "My character can beat your character" offence despite the fact that your Shadow Warrior can't meet any of my characters, much less sneak up on them. This is not what I call "Humble." Don't try to win this thread, and fight dirty, then point out that You have a right to Your opinion, and call it Humble. You contradict yourself.

Nighthiker77

And almost anybody that's already played through agrees the restoration loop is a cheat glitch that isn't meant to be in the game for any serious players. It is fun to try once and have everything at once, but the true challenge of the game is to do as much as you can with as little as you can manage. I like sneaking and archery and slitting throats, but loop sneak gear is for people that can't sneak.
I walked right through Diplomatic Immunity with no gear with my atromancer archer. Psiberzerker beat alduin in less than a minute with no gear and nothing more than destruction and spell absorption. That is what true power is.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I loveeeee Warriors, however on my most recent playthrough i have noticed the true power of a good spell sword (using bound sword) I rarely ever get touched haha

And almost anybody that's already played through agrees the restoration loop is a cheat glitch that isn't meant to be in the game for any serious players. It is fun to try once and have everything at once, but the true challenge of the game is to do as much as you can with as little as you can manage. I like sneaking and archery and slitting throats, but loop sneak gear is for people that can't sneak.
I walked right through Diplomatic Immunity with no gear with my atromancer archer. Psiberzerker beat alduin in less than a minute with no gear and nothing more than destruction and spell absorption. That is what true power is.
I'm not going to eliminate Exploits in a thread about raw power. True, it's not the way I generally play, but that's because I like a challenge, and find the possibility of being killed if I mess up exciting. We're not talking about that, but the subject at hand is very much breaking the combat system for LOLs.

Fortresto is mostly for enhancing Enchantments, and other effects like shout cooldowns, also through Enchantment. All Fortify Skill enchantments are Restoration effects, so they work on Fortify Weapon Skills to get beaucoups of damage with each strike. (Daggers respond to the Fortify Archery Enchantment if you want to stack it on Assassin's Blade.)

Likewise, you can go with Necromage Vampire, or even use this with Fortify Restopos for truly stupid power. This comes with some nerfs, though, so becomes situational like Stealth.

The Crafting Loop can also get your weapons/enchantments up to 1HK land on everything. However, all of these glitches work on all kinds of weapons, which is why I keep saying "All else being Equal." Even if you do all that, you will get more DPS out of a dagger, and sword than any single weapon, including Warhammers. This is only if you Equate Damage=Power, though. 2 Dremora Lords pretty much means not having to fight, other than defending yourself. That's what I call Power, but ultimately it derives from the same thing. Big ass weapons with Fire effects, only you're not the one swinging them.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
There is no 'strongest combat style' but it actually is the way you use and play with a certain combat style. Someone with Elven Light Armor and a Glass Sword can easily defeat a warrior in Daedric Heavy armor and Ebony Warhammer if he uses his advantage of quick movement to dodge the clunky warrior

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I'm going to put this one forward without referring to game-breaking and over-powered stuff (i.e. 0 cost spells, over-powered double-enchanted gear (which is supposed to be so rare it's a myth, read Twin Secrets), etc).

Paladin.

Ability to go toe-to-toe with anyone in straight up combat, with the ability to heal if there's a free second. Sword/Axe, Shield, Heavy Armour, Restoration (wards and -flesh spells, depending on how for you take the magical side). From my experience, they're the most difficult to kill, and simply decimate anything undead.

Aren't the ___Flesh spells Alteration, not Restoration?

I do like this kind of build, it does sound interesting.

I would probably go 1H/Block/HA/Rest/Alt/Conj, but I would probably try to add Archery, (I like playing Archers:D). Plus, I would be able to get both the bound sword & bound bow from Conjuration, which would serve to lighten the carry weight that HA brings versus LA, by not having to carry a sword or a bow.

orca45

Your "Humble" opinion? Look, you came right out and said that Destruction is hard to beat for raw Damage output, and that's just plain wrong. In the early game it can be powerful, but if you're using every resource in the game, 1 sword (Not even Dual Wield) quickly overtakes it in DPS. Max out the tree, you're still doing hundreds of DPS instead of Thousands with Smithing, and that's not even counting the Crafting loop. This isn't opinion, it's hard numbers, and potentially an Order of Magnitute at the high end. So yeah, that was plain wrong.

Before that, you argued with anyone who considered something other than Shadow Warrior as the most powerful, and even fell back to the "My character can beat your character" offence despite the fact that your Shadow Warrior can't meet any of my characters, much less sneak up on them. This is not what I call "Humble." Don't try to win this thread, and fight dirty, then point out that You have a right to Your opinion, and call it Humble. You contradict yourself.

Well I was just trying to match two different characters with the specifications I gave, not to challenge you or anybody else. This is not an online game and never try to offend anybody but apparently you got offended. I guess some people are very sensitive and if for any reason that is the case, then I do apologize if I offended you. I will not change what I say though, and I am not trying to make anybody play as I do. I don’t really care what you do with this game but I was trying to make my point and answer the OP question : What is truly the best combat style .... well you got my answer, some people will like it and some others will not. I never expect my opinion to be accepted by everybody but I have the right to participate and say whatever I do want based on my opinion and personal game experience either you like it or not. Don’t take it personally because we do not know each other at all and when it comes down to human relations, different opinions arise and that does not means at all that I do have a personal problem with you or anybody else. Regarding “fight dirty statement”, I don’t really think there is a real clean fight. When you fight a bandit with not mage power at all, you are fighting ‘dirty’ my friend, because you are a dragonborn and you have powers the other lacks. If you call that a “clean fight”, then you do not have any idea what are you talking about.
And beside, I am not trying to win this thread, you are not my enemy; my enemies are in Skyrim and they have been defeated based on my combat style. You have a happy gaming !! :)

Well I was just trying to match two different characters with the specifications I gave, not to challenge you or anybody else. This is not an online game and never try to offend anybody but apparently you got offended. I guess some people are very sensitive and if for any reason that is the case, then I do apologize if I offended you. I will not change what I say though, and I am not trying to make anybody play as I do. I don’t really care what you do with this game but I was trying to make my point and answer the OP question : What is truly the best combat style .... well you got my answer, some people will like it and some others will not. I never expect my opinion to be accepted by everybody but I have the right to participate and say whatever I do want based on my opinion and personal game experience either you like it or not. Don’t take it personally because we do not know each other at all and when it comes down to human relations, different opinions arise and that does not means at all that I do have a personal problem with you or anybody else. Regarding “fight dirty statement”, I don’t really think there is a real clean fight. When you fight a bandit with not mage power at all, you are fighting ‘dirty’ my friend, because you are a dragonborn and you have powers the other lacks. If you call that a “clean fight”, then you do not have any idea what are you talking about.
And beside, I am not trying to win this thread, you are not my enemy; my enemies are in Skyrim and they have been defeated based on my combat style. You have a happy gaming !! :)
Offended? You'll have to try harder than that. No, I was mostly amused at your self contradictory debating style than anything. I didn't put words into your mouth, you actually did type them out. Just don't come swinging challenges at people's opinions, and you have every right to defend your own.

I said nothing about a "Clean fight", but honestly, saying your Shadow Warrior trumps my Shouts with Stealth has no basis in the actual game we all play. And, it's not Combat, it's avoiding it, that's all I was pointing out. If you do it much at all, you may have noticed the music doesn't even change some times. It's situational, and the situation being not quite in combat.

I don't have a particular way to play, but a collection of all the ones I found most fun. I share them in the hopes others might be able to try one, and enjoy it too, but I don't have anything invested in it. I'm not even arguing with you, just pointing out when you contradict yourself, and tell you so dial back the Offensive. Not to say you're offending me, but you're coming off as aggressive, then retreating to defensive mode. You can't win this thread, buddy, it's not that kind of game. Now, stop playing Internet Toughguy, I've had that style timed since before there was an Internet.

orca45

Offended? You'll have to try harder than that. No, I was mostly amused at your self contradictory debating style than anything. I didn't put words into your mouth, you actually did type them out. Just don't come swinging challenges at people's opinions, and you have every right to defend your own.

I said nothing about a "Clean fight", but honestly, saying your Shadow Warrior trumps my Shouts with Stealth has no basis in the actual game we all play. And, it's not Combat, it's avoiding it, that's all I was pointing out. If you do it much at all, you may have noticed the music doesn't even change some times. It's situational, and the situation being not quite in combat.

I don't have a particular way to play, but a collection of all the ones I found most fun. I share them in the hopes others might be able to try one, and enjoy it too, but I don't have anything invested in it. I'm not even arguing with you, just pointing out when you contradict yourself, and tell you so dial back the Offensive. Not to say you're offending me, but you're coming off as aggressive, then retreating to defensive mode. You can't win this thread, buddy, it's not that kind of game. Now, stop playing Internet Toughguy, I've had that style timed since before there was an Internet.

.... very offensive !

So you've stated you believe that a shadow warrior using ranged attacks would beat any other class or build. Thank you for your contribution. Anything else beyond that is now straying farther and farther from what this thread is supposed to be about, and is now arguing and debating. Please take it to PM.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
The answer deals with face to face, blow by blow destructability, and ability to take punishment.

Yeah a stealth archer is powerfull, till stealth is rendered useless against a giant or a dragon priest that is in your face.
Remember, the most difficult battles in the game (which is what we're tallking about here, ANY class dominates a bandit camp), you WILL be face to face with your opponent.

I believe 1H mace, shield, and heavy armor...no archery or stealth. By far the easiest class to play and you rarely die.

Dual wield and 2H are awesome, but when you can't drop the bad guy quickly, you've lost armor and the ability to enchant a shield that gives you bonus protection like magic resist.

In addition, if you're levelling 1H (or 2H) PLUS archery, sneak &/or illusion, you're going to be a higher level, and when sneak, illusion, and archery are rendered useless (i.e. face to face with the toughest opponents in the game) you've just leveled your opponent and made them tougher in that face to face situation.

1H and shield are the perfect balance....with a close 2nd place tie ot dual wield and 2H.
x

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts