PC What should I do to prepare for Dragonborn? -spoiler free please-

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rhubarb&Custard

Is there anything specific I should train up on? My main character is a level 34 High Elf mage, Mastered Alteration, on the way to mastering Destruction, good levels in the rest of the spell classes, and has gear that buffs up Magicka to about 240/250. Is there anything I should do to prepare for Dragonborn? No spoilers about the storyline or questlines/loot/etc pl0x. :D

Also, for all the other PC users out there who're waiting patiently for Dragonborn, what're YOU doing to prepare? I'm curious. :)

There will not be any spoilers but things in this comment that will make you wonder a bit...... **ahem** SAVE BONEMEAL, AND QUICKSILVER INGOTS!.... that is all.

lol... Holding molten steel backwards cause I'm a boss like that. (picture was taken at the same moment I posted this.)
Snapshot_201210022_21.JPG

I do know that when you cross the pond, there will be Magi battles (Frost vs Fire; Restoration vs Necro; Alteration vs Illusion; Destruction Vs Conjuration. and everything in between.) and those Magi have some fairly decent items. (new robes n such). Hope this helps. btw, I play on xbox. (Only because I got it for Christmas along with about $300.00 USD in Microsoft points in 2011.)

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Basically you just need to have a good bit of experience (I'd recommend somewhere between level 40 and 50 based on personal experience) and some sort of protection from magic for the Dragonborn Storyline. Other than that, I believe you may be prepared enough for it.

Saozig

Hippy
My Dunmer started the DLC at level 32. She was originally going to morph from an alchemist/archer into a near-pure mage build, but when she arrived in Solstheim all her destruction spells (mostly fire) were underpowered and not very effective for what she faced and she ended up morphing into this really scary 1H dual wielder instead.

What I found I needed:

--reliance on something other than fire-based magic
--fire resistance (natural for Dunmer)
--some variability in combat so if something wasn't working, I could try something else, like carrying three differently enchanted swords plus a bow
--flexibility regarding armor, both heavy and light
--something to fortify armor skills, either enchantments or potions
--Fast Healing and healing potions
--paralysis, by spell, staff or poison--I incorporated this late in the DLC but proved oh so helpful
--a good, reliable follower. I went with Marcurio an found he was a great choice--his adept level shock spells proved very effective in many situations

A good thing to do, If you use heavy armor like me, is grab the steed stone. That way your armor doesn't slow you down, letting you be fast for those get-a-way battles. I never leveled my Enchanting, I'm straight One-Handed, Dual wield/sword shield, fighter. I have no training in archery because I tend to always go the Sneaky rogue type. And everyone does that. It is really good to have, (range) when you fight seekers. That's not a spoiler, that is just the most annoying and brutal enemy ever. If you want to know more about them just google them. or ask me. Google will probably give you spoilers. I won't. :D

KattSand

Premium Member
This isn't really a skill preparation tip, it's more a meeting the requirements kind of tip :) In order to even start the main questline in Dragonborn, one must have started the quest "the horn of Jurgen Windcaller". I am going to assume that you have done that since your character is level 34, but just thought I'd let you know since some people, like me, don't play the main skyrim quest line at all with some characters.

KattSand

Premium Member
Yep, started that on all characters. :D

I think I've done that specific quest with all characters as well, only to get the full unrelenting force :D After that I haven't touched the main quest line with my assassin and thief characters. And speaking of Dragonborn, where the hells is the PC release?! I haven't played it on xbox for weeks now because I wanted to wait for the PC version.

Rhubarb&Custard

I think I've done that specific quest with all characters as well, only to get the full unrelenting force :D After that I haven't touched the main quest line with my assassin and thief characters. And speaking of Dragonborn, where the hells is the PC release?! I haven't played it on xbox for weeks now because I wanted to wait for the PC version.
They haven't really given a specific release date. Just "early 2013". That could mean anything up until dang May! :sadface:

KattSand

Premium Member
They haven't really given a specific release date. Just "early 2013". That could mean anything up until dang May! :sadface:
Yeah you never know with bethesda. Getting kinda annoyed! It annoys me even more that I have it on xbox but I don't wanna play on xbox anymore, it got way too laggy in the end.

Rhubarb&Custard

Yeah you never know with bethesda. Getting kinda annoyed! It annoys me even more that I have it on xbox but I don't wanna play on xbox anymore, it got way too laggy in the end.
Well, all the XBox users who get the DLC early always encounter the most bugs, because for the most part, the DLC isn't properly polished, hence the bugs and glitches, it's really a beta-test. :p

KattSand

Premium Member
Well, all the XBox users who get the DLC early always encounter the most bugs, because for the most part, the DLC isn't properly polished, hence the bugs and glitches, it's really a beta-test. :p
And that's probably why it isn't out for PC yet because this dlc is just swarming with bugs :D

Necaradan666

I'd level up a bit more, as one Bethesda guy said 'the higher the level, the better.' It's basically endgame content, even including that one level 80+ quest to work towards, you should experience it as the designers intended. Other than that I found heading straight there without rounding out my character skills makes the enemies kinda tough to deal with because they are meant to be tough enough for the highest level characters to play with. The lowliest of critters slaughtered my dude once when I headed there at lvl 20 or so.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I think what may or may not be important is finishing the main quest line, beating the main quest line will have a (will try not to spoil) NPC mention your victory over Alduin, but that is one sentence. I don't know, some people may want to go into the DLC being the high and mighty Dragonborn rather than being the less-experienced one that hasn't accomplished anything.

Also, if you're a person who likes to use magic - there will be an extra special benefit upon completion of the DLC.

And for those who were wondering.

The Dragonborn DLC PC release date is February 5th, 2013.

Eleidon

The Psijic Chimer
On the standard difficulty, you should be fine. There are certain creatures I have in mind that posed an immense challenge for my level 60+ character, but I've always played on Master. I do recommend getting twin souls, so in sticky situations, you can conjure up a pal and then another around the time you feel the first is about to die. This gives you an opportunity for recuperation. I haven't had much time to explore, but I did finish the main quest just today and I downloaded it yesterday, heh. I ended up making a few trips back to my house in Windhelm to drop loot, so I would travel light to ensure you can get everything you want.

Cazimir

Sounds like I have work to do. My Archer Thief character is only level 26 and it doesn't sound like the bow and Erik are going to be enough.

Rhubarb&Custard

Also, if you're a person who likes to use magic - there will be an extra special benefit upon completion of the DLC.

Oooh. :D Thanks for all the help guys. :) I'm playing a new character at the moment (why?! I already have a Bosmer archer that I only just started again with! :p) using the "Live Another Life" mod, which completely skips the whole beginning of the game with the cart and the dragon attack, very useful, if a little buggy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts