• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
My latest character, an Imperial soldier who is doing the civil war questline before anything else, fast traveled to Solitude one night. A whole crowd piled out of the Winking Skeever. Odd.. I thought, until a Master Vampire appeared in amongst them suddenly. Well every citizen whipped out their weapons and hacked that vampire to death in a matter of seconds while I stood back and watched. DON'T attack Solitude citizens is the lesson I learnt that fine evening.

Then I was approached by the Orc Dawnguard and urged to join up.. yeah yeah, when I finish quashing the rebellion OK?!

Wildroses

I am so angry right now. During the night I visited Dragonsreach to borrow the arcane enchanter for an extended session, then headed down to the Bannered Mare. When I went out next morning I discovered the corpse of a vampire and the Pelagia farmer, and a pile of ash that was all which remained of Adrianne. I had no idea there was a fight, and strongly suspect I had no chance of ever saving her either. How am I supposed to magically know two NPCs are fighting for their lives on the opposite side of town? Bah.

Jake Johnson

I, too, have lost Adrianne to vampires...

Then I restarted, and it didn't happen.

Wildroses

I tried to do that, but alas after going into the Bannered Mare, Arcadia's Cauldron and Belethor's General Goods before heading out, I no longer had an autosave in which Adrianne was alive. That character is SO doing the Dawnguard questline :mad:

I have been on hiatus for a while, which preceded the DLC expansions, and I was just about to ask this very question...

I started a new character, and was surprised that at only level 10 I zoned into a town at night to see NPC's being attacked by vamps. Can I avoid the NPC's getting killed if I make it a point to only zone in to towns during daylight hours? I was a bit surprised to see the dawnguard DLC kick in so early. I had assumed I wouldn't see any of it until much later in the main questline.

Derp

Turtle power!
Yeah I was thinking about getting dawnguard dlc but not if I lose all my npc's. Would be nice if you could tone down the attacks or something on consoles but alas guess im not getting dawnguard, really wanted arvak to :sadface:.

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
I'm still having the issue. It's driving me insane. I'd started off on a new character (Thief build), and the Dawnguard NPC had approached me before I'd even climbed High Hrothgar with the result that most of the NPCs in Whiterun and Riverwood were dead before I'd even killed my third dragon. It would have been fine perhaps if it'd just been merchants, but it had been two skill trainers that had died too (in Riverwood, I lost the archery trainer, and then later the one-handed trainer in Whiterun). I ended up just giving up. It's just ridiculous.

Sometimes travelling from one end of the map to the other without fast travel can be such a pain, long-winded, and you can go for miles without either running into anything to kill or finding anything of value. To top it off you get punished for fast travel nearly every time if you don't have the time it takes to get to one town to the other calculated in your head BEFORE you leave.

I even tried fast travelling to the nearby locations from towns (like farms, stables, meaderies, etc), but the NPCs there started dying too at the hands of thralls and hounds and I was losing some quests and such. It got very irritating.

The allowance for NPCs dying would be absolutely fine if it weren't for the loss of skill trainers and quest givers, etc. Any merchants who die should at least be replaced by a respawn of a random character build (like various enemies such as bandits etc) who can either be classed as "shopkeeper" or "merchant" with a set amount of standard dialogue responses like most of the other wandering merchants, etc. At least that way you don't end up arriving in a "ghost town" with no one to sell to or buy from :p

Wildroses

I think the vampires might have killed Belethor without me noticing. Every time I got to Whiterun his shop is locked. Damn it Skyrim, at least let me see them die so I can have closure!

trenzalore

I'll dip my cookies in your tears.
I've not noticed any attacks without my presence, but since installing the DLC, I've had vampires attacking Falkreath, 2 or 3 big packs (8 in one, 12 in the other) of wolves attacking lake view manor, and a lot of bandits and vamps attacking dragon bridge whenever I go there.. It's not like they put up much of a fight though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III on Tapatalk

Rimfaxe96

Maybe it's mating... erhm, infecting season. :confused:
I wish I had that many encounters. Usually I just run past a warrior going for their missions or get jumped by smugglers or addicts.

trenzalore

Speaking of npcs, what is behind the random townsfolk getting their throats slashed? (I've not played the main story, so I'm unaware of anything). I mean, I was happily sitting there watching an execution in Morthal (i think. It was a storm cloak who helped ulfric to escape), then bam! All hell breaks loose and soke poor lady has a knife wound across her wind pipe. Any ideas?

chizzbot

so far, only Amren (I returned his family sword for him & he left me an inheritance), a Battle-Born and War-Bear the smithy shopkeep have gotten it. War -Bear is the only one I miss. I often sell high-value stuff to his wife for nothing, (don't need the coin, & it still levels speech) I returned Amren's family sword to his house after I made it Legendary, and gave his wife about 20 gems.

Clau

The Fateless One
I too, have lost several NPC's from vampire attacks. Mostly, the folks at Ivarstead. That feeling after you unleash the full fury upon vampires and the aftermath grieving. Leaves me speechless.

Brewman

Do I look worried?
From what I understand fast travel is what causes the attacks, Adrianne in Whiterun kept getting killed on me, so I kept reloading the auto save until I got a happy ending. Once you complete Dawnguard it seems to stop.

trenzalore

Do basically until you finish dawnguard, Every non essential npc can die? Can't that render your game unplayable? ( if every merchant dies for example)

Bulldog

It happened to me a few times. One the character two before my current I was level 14 and went ot Whiterun for the first time. Entered and the vampires had killed Adrianne her husband, Belethor and others. I did a reload. From then on out I fast travel to a location away from the city and will get ingridents for Alchemy go hunting or just wait until around 10am then walk into the city. It kind o fsucks, but my NPC's aren't dead.

I hated the fact that if you fast traveled to a town, random vampire NPC`s would spawn on your position and try to take your life and any other bystanders in the area.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I hated the fact that if you fast traveled to a town, random vampire NPC`s would spawn on your position and try to take your life and any other bystanders in the area.
on the other hand, they almost all have some good swag.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Annageckos

I get very few attacks in cities and towns. But then I rarely fast travel and I try to save before I do. Not just because of the vampires, but just in case it freezes or something weird happens. I was hesitant to get Dawnguard DLC because I was afraid of loosing NPC's, but I'm glad I got it. I've lost more NPC's to dragon attacks then vampire attacks. Just last night I lost both the blacksmith and his wife in Dawnstar to a dragon. Luckily it happened just after I gave him that book for his wife. Just make sure to save often.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts