Use of the 'C Word' on forums.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
I'm just gonna go ahead and state, for those who don't know, that skinwalker is a (very lame) troll who signed up to this site for the entire purpose of randomly giving out negative rep.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled argument.

Drumhilda

I'm just gonna go ahead and state, for those who don't know, that skinwalker is a (very lame) troll who signed up to this site for the entire purpose of randomly giving out negative rep.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled argument.

Thank you, since I am new I did not know what a troll was or that people did that. Next time, I am whipping out and casting my firebolt spell! lol

Drumhilda

Wow, I only had one day on here and I found a troll! I understand now and that explains a lot of the idiocy. Thank you:oops:

Lifts-Her-Tail

words are just words, they only have power and affect if you let them.
very true!
I'm going to be honest, all of you are showing some kind of immaturity, such as you skin walker giving out all these bad ratings. And Berzum there was no need to call her a troll and in fact she was on topic and she had only given her opinion so there was no need for calling her a troll and off topic and you skin walker there was no need for all these bad ratings.

M

Mr.Hide

To me: censorship is censorship. Playing a game in which you can chop people's head offs is fine, but GOD if kids read the 'C' word they will turn into serial killers!

I understand where it comes from, and I don't have anything in particular against it. But I just have a gut feeling. I personally don't like it. And now I am contradicting myself. Nevermind. Forget what I've said.

n7nmZh7.gif

Drumhilda

words are just words, they only have power and affect if you let them.
very true!
I'm going to be honest, all of you are showing some kind of immaturity, such as you skin walker giving out all these bad ratings. And Berzum there was no need to call her a troll and in fact she was on topic and she had only giv Ien her opinion so there was no need for calling her a troll and off topic and you skin walker there was no need for all these bad ratings.

By all that would not include me. I have been as mature as possible with this little group. Thanks for the support though.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
I've read through this whole thing.
I gotta say I read it because I found it entertaining and I'm bored.

As for using cuss words, isn't that what the "18+" additions to RPs and Fanfics are for?

As to full on derogatory comments, it's a wishy-washy subject depending on the person who is receiving it, not the person writing or saying it.

As to cussing in general, I like to follow an old standby, believe it or not, a Jesuit Priest once told me in a Religion class he was teaching in High School -

"Cussing, when used often,
denotes a lack of forthright, judgement, class, and intelligence
when it comes to the art of using the English Language properly.
However, when used in the most extreme of circumstances... a
plops!!
can go a long way to getting the point across, and is worth the penance in prayer."

I mean, I'm having enough trouble formatting my posts on this forum. *I secretly think it has it out for me* I've been on forums for ten years, this one is... unique... :D to me. I don't even know how to give reputation points, and to be honest, nor do I really care. If something ever comes along and is worth the reward then I'll care and I'll ask that person if they
A) want the reputation point,
and
B) how to give one!

Drumhilda

I've read through this whole thing.

I gotta say I read it because I found it entertaining and I'm bored.

As for using cuss words, isn't that what the "18+" additions to RPs and Fanfics are for?

As to full on derogatory comments, it's a wishy-washy subject depending on the person who is receiving it, not the person writing or saying it.

As to cussing in general, I like to follow an old standby, believe it or not, a Jesuit Priest once told me in a Religion class he was teaching in High School -

"Cussing, when used often,
denotes a lack of forthright, judgement, class, and intelligence
when it comes to the art of using the English Language properly.
However, when used in the most extreme of circumstances... a
pl***!!
can go a long way to getting the point across, and is worth the penance in prayer."

I mean, I'm having enough trouble formatting my posts on this forum. *I secretly think it has it out for me* I've been on forums for ten years, this one is... unique... :D to me. I don't even know how to give reputation points, and to be honest, nor do I really care. If something ever comes along and is worth the reward then I'll care and I'll ask that person if they
A) want the reputation point,
and
B) how to give one!

Even though I stated several times this post has been beat to death, I will respond. For starters, I didn't have an avatar posted when I signed up to this account. I had my photo up. I don't have to pretend or hide behind avatars when beginning an account on a site. I may use avatars later for fun. I changed it when I requested this account to be deleted. So, that comment from you is invalid to my situation. Again, more unsolicited advice with no actual facts factored into a response. However, you only have a portion of all that went on due to a lot of it being deleted and cleaned up by an admin. As far as anything else you had to say.....not debating this topic any longer. I gave an opinion about one particular vulgar word because that is what this discussion was about. It turned into a nasty debate, along with some unwelcome and immature delinquents being obnoxious. I was new to the site and didn't understand what trolls were. Said this already.... I don't care how many hours or days I was new to this site. I can have an opinion and I can share it....hence what the discussions are for. In RL, I couldn't give a plops less about any of this. I also said I didn't disagree with profanity, just that ONE particular word that I considered to be vulgar and disrespectful. I am pretty sure being an educator that I understand what 18+ means, so it's silly for you to even throw that up to me. I said the game was rated mature, hence I would not allow a child to play it. Meaning that I understand a rating of that nature is not appropriate for "children!" Please understand I don't need any of this explained to me. I am way beyond comprehending all facets of this topic, discussion and now it's members. Best advice given about all this was to LET IT GO and move on! I don't care about military backgrounds and bullets buzzing by... being that has nothing to do with the word fuzzy kitten or it's offensiveness to some adults. I will not change my position about the vulgar word, so it is meaningless to keep this topic going. Thanks for your time, but this is a non-event, dead issue and I'm very much over it! Best Wishes to you.

M

Mr.Hide

I am pretty sure being an educator that I understand what 18+ means, so it's silly for you to even throw that up to me. I said the game was rated mature, hence I would not allow a child to play it.

Skyrim is rated 15+, and the minimum age to join the forums is 13. So basically, the content on here has to be appropriate for a 13 year old to see.

My point, however, is that I find it weird chopping off heads and stabbing people is considered to be okay for minors while the C-word seems to be the big thing people worry about. Saying bad words is taken more seriously than violence in games.

To be honest, I think both are overestimated. You should hear what kids say to each other in high school. I think the internet could learn a lot from the stuff teenagers call each other. :p These are not the 80s kids who had to go to a library in order to look something up; this is the 'hey-what-is-this-let's-google-it generation'. They are not learning anything new here. And I think there are way worse things to stumble upon online than a forum.

But I understand it is also a way of making a statement. Showing that, as a community, you disagree with this. Hence why I understand it.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
I like to think that for the most part, all forums are PG-13 until they say otherwise.

Skyrim however is rated "M" Mature 17+, which is the equivalent to "R" rating in American Movies, it may not have the smut, but it's the same rating as Mass Effect and DragonAge.

Also, I definitely have become upset with the "wiki-it/google-it" generation, and as a grad-student in his 30s, and a veteran, I could easily go on a soapbox about it. I remember when my library added computer systems to look up books, and when the librarian was showing me how to use it, my Uncle asked "aren't you worried about your job now?"

the worst part about it is the instant gratification fix people seem to have. A desire of all things being a right rather than privilege. They believe if they go to school, don't miss a class, they automatically should get better grades than the kid that never shows up, but always has a better paper or test score.
... and I went on a soapbox! :D oh well.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Way I see it, if you need to use the C word and F word in a Fan Fic or RP. Then it is something different from the TES world, because TES has their own insults and sayings. Only main words used is either 'Bitch' and 'Bastard' in the games.

Other than that, I don't see any real reason someone actually has to use the C word in a sentence on these forums.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
Way I see it, if you need to use the C word and F word in a Fan Fic or RP. Then it is something different from the TES world, because TES has their own insults and sayings. Only main words used is either 'Bitch' and 'Bastard' in the games.

Other than that, I don't see any real reason someone actually has to use the C word in a sentence on these forums.

fact. Sometimes the other words come in handy - when someone is an idiot, sometimes it's needed to be said, as an example. But the C word, used to attack another member, no way, no how. And as you said, in the game, all I ever really hear is "bastard." :D
it's like "sausage wallet" at renfaire! ;)

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
I am pretty sure being an educator that I understand what 18+ means, so it's silly for you to even throw that up to me. I said the game was rated mature, hence I would not allow a child to play it.

Skyrim is rated 15+, and the minimum age to join the forums is 13. So basically, the content on here has to be appropriate for a 13 year old to see.

My point, however, is that I find it weird chopping off heads and stabbing people is considered to be okay for minors while the C-word seems to be the big thing people worry about. Saying bad words is taken more seriously than violence in games.

To be honest, I think both are overestimated. You should hear what kids say to each other in high school. I think the internet could learn a lot from the stuff teenagers call each other. :p These are not the 80s kids who had to go to a library in order to look something up; this is the 'hey-what-is-this-let's-google-it generation'. They are not learning anything new here. And I think there are way worse things to stumble upon online than a forum.

But I understand it is also a way of making a statement. Showing that, as a community, you disagree with this. Hence why I understand it.
Last time i checked skyrim was rated M for Mature, M for Mature is suppose to mean 17+ not 15+ and yes the C word is not in skyrim, least if it is I have yet to see it. skyrim has little language in it really.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Last time i checked skyrim was rated M for Mature, M for Mature is suppose to mean 17+ not 15+ and yes the C word is not in skyrim, least if it is I have yet to see it. skyrim has little language in it really.

It depends on the country. So it may mean 17+ for where you're from, but it generally means 15+ where others are from.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer

It depends on the country. So it may mean 17+ for where you're from, but it generally means 15+ where others are from.

wow, totally didn't know that. In the US it's basically "if you can sign up for the military, you're old enough for this game/movie/pron/etc... just not booze" :D So for here, Skyrim could easily have as bad of language as the HBO Series Deadwood, and no one would blink an eye (besides the nuts that always do anyways). Actually, Red Dead Redemption is a great example of this, it has a freaking full on sex scene.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
wow, totally didn't know that. In the US it's basically "if you can sign up for the military, you're old enough for this game/movie/pron/etc... just not booze" :D So for here, Skyrim could easily have as bad of language as the HBO Series Deadwood, and no one would blink an eye (besides the nuts that always do anyways). Actually, Red Dead Redemption is a great example of this, it has a freaking full on sex scene.

It isn't the world Bethesda created, so it doesn't need to have bad language because TES is a fantasy world on another planet. People of Tamriel have their own swears and sayings. So it is why I don't believe people need to use those words in a RP or Fan Fic about TES, because if they really wanted to immerse themselves or create something that is correct in setting. You don't need the F word or the C word, since neither are used. The two used are 'Bitch' and 'Bastard', and they're not censored. So there is no issue.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
It isn't the world Bethesda created, so it doesn't need to have bad language because TES is a fantasy world on another planet. People of Tamriel have their own swears and sayings. So it is why I don't believe people need to use those words in a RP or Fan Fic about TES, because if they really wanted to immerse themselves or create something that is correct in setting. You don't need the F word or the C word, since neither are used. The two used are 'Bitch' and 'Bastard', and they're not censored. So there is no issue.

umm... I have a feeling we're arguing the same point from different angles. :D I'm not in disagreement with you lol

exactly the opposite in fact. Using SWarsy swear words in a Star Wars RP is what makes it fun, just like for something here, for use in Tamriel.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts