Use of the 'C Word' on forums.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
Another thing, it really throws me off when I'm reading a very immersive, serious post in the fan fiction or RP section, and when they mean to say f***f, it says fluff. So it could be something like:

John fell down in the mud-rain pouring down on his already wet hair-at the sight of his brother's decomposing corpse, he yelled out, as if to the gods themselves, "F*********************k!"

And then it changes it to:

"Fluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuf!"

A poor example of an immersive post, sure, but you get my point. It completely ruins any emotion the post may have had before the censor.

tdatapina

Hero of Time
Super like, bump, agree, kudos^

I've noticed this multiple times in the past. Maybe censorship could be removed just from the RP section. If that's possible

AtotehZ

I've noticed this multiple times in the past. Maybe censorship could be removed just from the RP section. If that's possible

So what you're saying is that some people enjoy RolePlaying a jerk. They're different from the rest how? :)

Using the word fluff is F word is unnecessary. Not that I care about it one bit, but there are so many alternatives. If you're going for immersion, try using immersive language instead of stereotype language.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit

So what you're saying is that some people enjoy RolePlaying a jerk. They're different from the rest how? :)

Using the word fluff is F word is unnecessary. Not that I care about it one bit, but there are so many alternatives. If you're going for immersion, try using immersive language instead of stereotype language.
To RP is to play as someone other then yourself, think of it like acting but instead of standing up in front of an audience you write it all out. Truth of the matter is, many of us like to RP as people from all colours of life. From the average Joe to the warlord (this is just an example, a warlord would likely be seen as over powered).

Lets look at the average Joe, he may not curse when he can help it, but he will likely indulge in cursing like a maniac if something bad happens (just like you and you can't deny it so don't even try). Sure, we could stop him from cursing, but that would, in effect, change the character himself and that's almost taboo to most RPers and for good reason. Some of us spend hours making one character, to have to change him for any reason is offensive (unless it's for a valid reason, like he was overpowered, he broke a rule, etc.).

Fact of life, 99.9% of us will/have cursed when something tragic happens, or if something extremely good has happened. Do you know why humans created the first curse words? Because they were simple words they could use to express profound feelings they felt they couldn't express any other way. Keep in mind this happened when languages were young and words few (yes, that far back). These are the kinds of words that most young heroes will use when they win or lose a tough battle that took hours or days to accomplish/fail at.

To say that someone is a jerk for cursing here-and-there, is ignorant, and your ignorance really shines for saying so. Some of the greatest minds of the human race have likely cursed. Not only that, you're not only insulting me for saying that some of my characters are jerks, but you're insulting at least half of the entire RP section here.

If you're complaining about people not being able to choose their words better than why aren't you? Oh the hypocrisy, it shines brighter than 24 karat gold in the sunlight.

If you don't care about a topic, don't bother replying to it please.

I think he means that it would be more true to the elder scrolls spirit if you weren't using modern slang in an RP based on a game that has it's own style of speech. If you are going to RP an elder scrolls story then try to use language that adheres to the game. HOWEVER, if you are not RP'ing an elder scrolls story then I could see where it poses a problem.

As for 99.99% of us cursing when something bad happens, In a true moment of peril or decision from the workings of the heart and mind the mouth speaks. If you curse when something goes wrong or messes up or is difficult you kind of set the fact that you or the character is incapable of handling the situation emotionally and has regressed to a state of hatred, denial, or fear, but then again, you could be wanting to make a character with this manner of inner turmoil. Not the strongest emotionally but a brute of a person and strong in other ways. It's an RP you make what you want, but it just seems weird in an elder scrolls setting to me as I feel it would most people. At the same time though, saying fluffing isn't much better seeing as there is another meaning for that word that I am sure they didn't think about, it has to deal with the adult film industry lolol.

JoeReese

As for 99.99% of us cursing when something bad happens, In a true moment of peril or decision from the workings of the heart and mind the mouth speaks. If you curse when something goes wrong or messes up or is difficult you kind of set the fact that you or the character is incapable of handling the situation emotionally and has regressed to a state of hatred, denial, or fear,

What are you, role playing Ghandi or something?

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
I think he means that it would be more true to the elder scrolls spirit if you weren't using modern slang in an RP based on a game that has it's own style of speech. If you are going to RP an elder scrolls story then try to use language that adheres to the game. HOWEVER, if you are not RP'ing an elder scrolls story then I could see where it poses a problem.

As for 99.99% of us cursing when something bad happens, In a true moment of peril or decision from the workings of the heart and mind the mouth speaks. If you curse when something goes wrong or messes up or is difficult you kind of set the fact that you or the character is incapable of handling the situation emotionally and has regressed to a state of hatred, denial, or fear, but then again, you could be wanting to make a character with this manner of inner turmoil. Not the strongest emotionally but a brute of a person and strong in other ways. It's an RP you make what you want, but it just seems weird in an elder scrolls setting to me as I feel it would most people. At the same time though, saying fluffing isn't much better seeing as there is another meaning for that word that I am sure they didn't think about, it has to deal with the adult film industry lolol.
Almost all of our curse words have been seen in the Elder Scrolls series, the only one I don't think I have seen is fl*ff, but every race has their own version of this word.

Most people will resort to a state of hatred, denial, fear, etc. when a tragedy has happened. This doesn't make them weak, this makes them human, mer, or beast; it makes them mortal. If you saw a close friend or family member die, would you not resort to a state of hatred, denial, fear, etc.? That's the level of tragedy I'm talking about here. Not many people would be able to handle that situation immediately. I know I wouldn't, if you could then you must be lacking all empathy or sympathy.

And you weren't stating facts, you were stating an opinion. This entire thread is opinionated.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
How about this, why not have every 18+ tagged thread uncensored? Would it be too difficult to achieve? I mean, an 18+ tag already gives someone the right to post sex scenes in there, but god forbid they say a curse word.

Most people will resort to a state of hatred, denial, fear, etc. when a tragedy has happened. This doesn't make them weak, this makes them human, mer, or beast; it makes them mortal. If you saw a close friend or family member die, would you not resort to a state of hatred, denial, fear, etc.? That's the level of tragedy I'm talking about here. Not many people would be able to handle that situation immediately. I know I wouldn't, if you could then you must be lacking all empathy or sympathy.

And you weren't stating facts, you were stating an opinion. This entire thread is opinionated.

If you wish to break it down into that category it becomes a religious discussion, on how we view death. One would not have to be void of empathy or sympathy but merely believe that death was not the end all-be all of our existence, and when faced with the end of existence yes you would become fearful or hateful, and that would leave only Atheists or Scientists :p. If you believed there was something more to it, many factors would come into play, it would be situational and we could break this down and talk for hours on it and still not reach a conclusion because your right, it is opinionated. So I retract my statement sirs.

One becomes angry when confronted with the unknown, because they do not know how to deal with it resulting in cursing and denial and hatred and anger and all that jazz. If they felt they were truly right and KNEW what they were doing, why then would they become so angry? When faced with death would one not accept it if they knew for sure it was going to happen, and had set in their minds that it was so?

Anger, hate, and denial comes from misunderstanding and the unknown, the inevitable "why?" And if that is wrong and if this is ridiculous then why do so many fight to prove it wrong? If they KNEW they were right they would be sound enough in the mind to be able to let it go knowing that the truth would catch up sooner or later son't you think? People fight to justify their own thoughts and their own actions rather than peer into that realm of thinking and try to make sense of it, ignorance is bliss... until confronted with reality then it is worse than anything. Causing that huge amount of hatred, denial, and fear.

I'll quit speaking on this subject as this post was about something else, I don't want to keep muddying it up with my beliefs :p I am sorry I hijacked your thread bro, and I hope you know I didn't mean any animosity towards you or anyone reading this, just stating my opinion as you said and I agree with you there.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit

If you wish to break it down into that category it becomes a religious discussion, on how we view death. One would not have to be void of empathy or sympathy but merely believe that death was not the end all-be all of our existence, and when faced with the end of existence yes you would become fearful or hateful, and that would leave only Atheists or Scientists :p. If you believed there was something more to it, many factors would come into play, it would be situational and we could break this down and talk for hours on it and still not reach a conclusion because your right, it is opinionated. So I retract my statement sirs.

One becomes angry when confronted with the unknown, because they do not know how to deal with it resulting in cursing and denial and hatred and anger and all that jazz. If they felt they were truly right and KNEW what they were doing, why then would they become so angry? When faced with death would one not accept it if they knew for sure it was going to happen, and had set in their minds that it was so?

Anger, hate, and denial comes from misunderstanding and the unknown, the inevitable "why?" And if that is wrong and if this is ridiculous then why do so many fight to prove it wrong? If they KNEW they were right they would be sound enough in the mind to be able to let it go knowing that the truth would catch up sooner or later son't you think? People fight to justify their own thoughts and their own actions rather than peer into that realm of thinking and try to make sense of it, ignorance is bliss... until confronted with reality then it is worse than anything. Causing that huge amount of hatred, denial, and fear.

I'll quit speaking on this subject as this post was about something else, I don't want to keep muddying it up with my beliefs :p I am sorry I hijacked your thread bro, and I hope you know I didn't mean any animosity towards you or anyone reading this, just stating my opinion as you said and I agree with you there.
This belongs to another discussion. This thread was meant to be discussing if we should be allowed to say curse words uncensored but you're going into why we say curse words in the first place. A little off topic, but a good discussion, it just belongs in another thread probably on a different site. Though then again, this site has evolved into more than just a site about the Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.

Lol that's why I said it's a different discussion and that I have muddied up this topic, You have my word I won't continue on about it ;).

And thank's for they like man :) But I agree the 18+ thing would definately work, there is no difference in graphic sex scenes and cursing lol.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I don't see the issue when it comes to RP or Fan fiction, I'm on agreement with Sveinbjorn. TES has their own language and really the only insults used towards someone/something in TES is Bitch or Bastard.

I couldn't see someone shouting the F word, since all races have their own exclamations. None of which are the C word or the F word. There are plenty of descriptive words in the English language, so it shouldn't be extremely hard to find them, as mentioned before.

The way I see a RP or fan fiction about TES, you would want to try immerse yourself or the reader as much as possible.

AS88

Staff member
I don't see the issue when it comes to RP or Fan fiction, I'm on agreement with Sveinbjorn. TES has their own language and really the only insults used towards someone/something in TES is Bitch or Bastard.

I couldn't see someone shouting the F word, since all races have their own exclamations. None of which are the C word or the F word. There are plenty of descriptive words in the English language, so it shouldn't be extremely hard to find them, as mentioned before.

The way I see a RP or fan fiction about TES, you would want to try immerse yourself or the reader as much as possible.

RP Mod approves ;)

AtotehZ

To RP is to play as someone other then yourself, think of it like acting but instead of standing up in front of an audience you write it all out. Truth of the matter is, many of us like to RP as people from all colours of life. From the average Joe to the warlord (this is just an example, a warlord would likely be seen as over powered).

Lets look at the average Joe, he may not curse when he can help it, but he will likely indulge in cursing like a maniac if something bad happens (just like you and you can't deny it so don't even try). Sure, we could stop him from cursing, but that would, in effect, change the character himself and that's almost taboo to most RPers and for good reason. Some of us spend hours making one character, to have to change him for any reason is offensive (unless it's for a valid reason, like he was overpowered, he broke a rule, etc.).

Fact of life, 99.9% of us will/have cursed when something tragic happens, or if something extremely good has happened. Do you know why humans created the first curse words? Because they were simple words they could use to express profound feelings they felt they couldn't express any other way. Keep in mind this happened when languages were young and words few (yes, that far back). These are the kinds of words that most young heroes will use when they win or lose a tough battle that took hours or days to accomplish/fail at.

To say that someone is a jerk for cursing here-and-there, is ignorant, and your ignorance really shines for saying so. Some of the greatest minds of the human race have likely cursed. Not only that, you're not only insulting me for saying that some of my characters are jerks, but you're insulting at least half of the entire RP section here.

If you're complaining about people not being able to choose their words better than why aren't you? Oh the hypocrisy, it shines brighter than 24 karat gold in the sunlight.

You don't think I'd want to reply when what you write is blatantly wrong :S I do choose my words carefully and I don't use profanity. If you're referring to the fluff in the post above, the word is censored, that's what this conversation is about. Even so I replaced it to prevent comments like the one you came with, I just forgot to remove the word.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit

You don't think I'd want to reply when what you write is blatantly wrong :S I do choose my words carefully and I don't use profanity. If you're referring to the fluff in the post above, the word is censored, that's what this conversation is about. Even so I replaced it to prevent comments like the one you came with, I just forgot to remove the word.
I'm referring to you either insulting a few of my characters (and myself) on purpose or doing it by accident. One of my characters has saved quite a few lives but because he curses he's a jerk? I've been known to curse here and there (mainly to myself) and because I do I'm now a jerk?

That is what I meant when I said you don't choose your words carefully. I and my creations are not going to be insulted by the likes of you just because of their choice of words.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts