Use of the 'C Word' on forums.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AtotehZ

Personally I'm on all sides. I couldn't care less about the use of swearing. I do find it hilarious when people try to curse and it replaces it with something completely unintended. If you are really out to swear at someone, filters are not going to stop you anyway. Filters only ward against those sudden bursts of emotion.

Don't read the spoiler if you are faint of heart:
c*nt and fl*ff. And in context. fl*ff you c*nt! You degenerate waste of fl*ffing space!!
My point is that it is all too easy to offend someone if you want to. Trying to filter out a few words out of a language is futile if someone is bent on offending someone.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Well, some people do get offended by the c-word in the states, because it's considered to be "offensive to women". But in the UK they throw that word around like "the". :D

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Well, some people do get offended by the c-word in the states, because it's considered to be "offensive to women". But in the UK they throw that word around like "the". :D

Not me honest.
whistle.gif

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
I dont believe you fuzzy kitten

edit: wow i never noticed that before. I dont think any words should be censored from the forums. If someone uses a word that offends you just simply slap them with a bad manners rating or something.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Well, Using that word is really unnecessary imo.

Although other words... Which i'm sure I don't have to word, shouldn't be censored with silliness. Either make it FU**
or just say fluff. I mean, you have to be like 13 to be on here right? I'm sure 13 year olds are mature enough not to abuse the words.

If they can't..... What has this fluffing ( see what I did there? ) world come to?

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
A simple truth is, the word offends mostly any Woman, again I say mostly any...I've found a few who don't mind the word, yet if you wouldn't say it in Public don't type it here.

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
If you need to use any word that could offend any sex/race/religion then you should read more and expand your vocabulary.

Just my opinion.

Iveri Sarothil

Isn't this forum 13 and up?
I'm rather liking the fact that there aren't curse words flying all over the place. It's the most mature forum I've ever been on, and I hope it stays that way. I'm not saying it should turn into the Nexus and ban someone for saying 'poopy' or something, but...I don't see why we should remove the filter. The C-word is actually pretty offensive to a lot of people, and honestly, where I grew up, it's one of the worst things you can call anybody.

*shrugs* Like Koala said, there's more mature ways of expressing ourselves. Let's be civil and not be sailors. Some curses are fine, but for this one in particular? I think we're fine where we are.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
I just don't like the filter. Atleast make it c*** not fluffy kittens.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well the filter is here to stay. It's no different than the 'fluff' one and no one took issue with that.

As I said before, I don't like censorship and no word actually offends me personally. This is a funny substitution on a word that shouldn't be used on here anyway.

The consequence of using the word is that it gets substituted by a fuzzy kitten. It's really just that simple. If you choose to use the word, you receive the consequence. And it's completely avoidable.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Well, when you put it that way. We all have to really abide anyhow, so what you said, I suppose goes. But when you think of it...

Stephen Daidalus

Well the filter is here to stay. It's no different than the 'fluff' one and no one took issue with that.

As I said before, I don't like censorship and no word actually offends me personally. This is a funny substitution on a word that shouldn't be used on here anyway.

The consequence of using the word is that it gets substituted by a fuzzy kitten. It's really just that simple. If you choose to use the word, you receive the consequence. And it's completely avoidable.

I have no problems with censoring words that are patently offensive on these forums, and I find that your policy is very liberal. So I am certainly not complaining.

However, I did post some 18+ fiction on the site using the c-word, and I did not use an asterisk. The word was replaced with the phrase 'fuzzy kittens'.

Rayven, the piece depicted humans having sex. In that context, the replacement almost constituted animal abuse, and could have the unintended consequence of making my story look like it involved bestiality. :D

The worst thing was that I stupidly didn't check the text for errors after I posted it, and the fuzzy kittens continued to suffer for a couple of weeks before I noticed them.

So I'm completely in favor of a humorous substitution. But I'm with a few of the the others and would prefer a somewhat different one. :)

For the sake of the kittens....

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm open to suggestions that spare the kittens. I still want it to be silly and not just an asterisk thing. I think the word merits such treatment.

Stephen Daidalus

I thought the original choice was hilarious and creative. It just alarmed me in the context wherein I discovered it. :D

I think if you want to disarm the word as a potent four letter, one syllable invective and keep the cute, soft multisyllabic humor of the substitution, you could just use 'fuzzy mittens'. No animal abuse, and it works syntactically -- although with humorous effect -- in erotic writing.

There may be some entertainment value in coming up with other options. Most of what comes immediately to my mind are alliterative desserts. Cotton candy, butter biscuit...

That doesn't solve the issue for those who would prefer an asterisk. Being British, and maybe more accustomed to hearing the word on the street, as it were, I'm with them, and think we'd do better to accept the word than treat it as some sort of uber-powerful-super swear word because, with enough use, it could become quite mundane. But it's certainly not my call, and I trust Rayven's judgment.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, of all the colorful language we tend to use on these forums, this is the one word that gets reported. Before we had the 'fluff' substitution, even f-bombs didn't actually generate reports in and of themselves. I got reports about posts with f-bombs, but it wasn't about the word itself; it was about the overall content (usually a personal attack).

This word seems to instigate a visceral negative response from even otherwise easy-going folks and while I don't personally choose to censor any language from my own kid, I do understand people not wanting to see that in posts in general.

utael

My thought on cursing is its a very un-educated way to express something. Swearing just makes you sound stupid and frankly I'm a fan of removing the words that only have a bad stigma associated with them. I can find other ways to insult your pea brained idea of preferances :) see what I did there?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts