Tips on being a vampire and how yo make it fun

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Well... depends. If you're on PC, mods make it a lot more fun :p
{~}Better Vampires
{~}Bat Travel
{~}Better Vampire Fangs and Eyes

some others. Mods or no, I'd recommend having (or getting) Dawnguard DLC for Vampire Lord. VL is pretty awesome in my opinion, as a vampire fanatic :p I mean a lot of things were ripped off (like Underworld 2) but meh I'm not that picky. Roleplaying wise, I'd suggest think like a predator. You're out there to stalk your prey in one form or another.

-- The Classic View (the monster) --
Hunt only at night, sleep during the day, use resting places (whether modded homes/castles, or use the Volkihar castle if you sided with them. When it comes to your enemies, be merciless and .. well a monster. Kill without remorse, feed early and feed often ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

-- The 'Good' Vampire --
Well I wouldn't necessarily call it 'good' but I have a character "anna" who plays this way. She's an assassin who hunts down and kills evil beings (including other vampires) she sided with Dawnguard, and I use a mod to still trade with them if I collect enough vampire dust as 'proof'. She is a vampire lord so she gets no real respect around Fort Dawnstar but her playstyle is mostly... feed only when necessary, but still stalk and kill her prey - which in this case happen to be evil-doers. She hunts down bandits, trolls, dragons (that try to kill her, but she's good friends with Paarthax) ^_^

-- Your Own Way --
You're a lone rogue, you do what you want. A mix and match of "good and evil" or however you want to play. Being a vampire is only a means to an end. Immortality, blood, power, it means nothing to you in the long run, for you have your own goals as a higher priority.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Also I'd recommend getting the blood cursed arrows when you do the dawnguard dlc quests, blocking out the sun is awesome in both effects and a relief on yourself (especially if you have mods that make you burn in sunlight.... it hurts.... :p)

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Check out this thread: http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/vampire-roleplay.53891/
My own post is about a third down the page.

Personally I enjoy playing a "low-born" vampire, as it feels more down to earth and the circumstances leading to you becoming a vampire lord are highly nonsensical. If you're going to roleplay seriously then I'd also suggest that you spend some time finding your footing in Skyrim before getting infected. It gives your character a stronger basis to flesh him out first and then see how he feels about becoming a vampire, what effects it has on his life, and how he is forced to adapt.

Also, do not go out during the day. I don't know what they were thinking just freezing your regeneration, it is absolute horsepl*ps. Vampires burn to death in the sunlight. Fact.

Last edited:

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Go out in the day, can be done, create strong health stamina regen enchants (200%) This nullifies the weakness to sunlight debuff.

Go out in the day, can be done, create strong health stamina regen enchants (200%) This nullifies the weakness to sunlight debuff.

200% Health and Stamina Regen enchantments don't grow on trees, and the hours and hours you'd spend working on that would be better spent playing a goddam vampire who avoids sunlight because that's what vampires do.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

200% Health and Stamina Regen enchantments don't grow on trees, and the hours and hours you'd spend working on that would be better spent playing a goddam vampire who avoids sunlight because that's what vampires do.
While I agree, how do you make any money? You have to sell yourself in the daylight, since everything is closed at night, although... If you join the college, you can always wake somebody up to sell you stuff. I hadn't really considered that.

Still, doesn't it seem like wasting 1/2 your game time hanging out in your coffin? My characters usually don't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours at a time (kind of like me in real life), so, what are they supposed to do the rest of the time? Read?

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind

Doesnt take hours, google Skyrim restoration loop. I learned how to make decent not Overpowered enchants in about half an hour, the potion ingredient gathering might take the longest.

Weakness to Sunlight Its a debuff that puts limits on what you can and cant do, if you wanna play a limited game, thats on you.

If theres a workaround I try to find one, in this case, you could have a win win situation.

Fortify Enchanting Potion.

Last edited:

While I agree, how do you make any money? You have to sell yourself in the daylight, since everything is closed at night, although... If you join the college, you can always wake somebody up to sell you stuff. I hadn't really considered that.

Still, doesn't it seem like wasting 1/2 your game time hanging out in your coffin? My characters usually don't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours at a time (kind of like me in real life), so, what are they supposed to do the rest of the time? Read?

Traditionally, vampires "sleep" the entire day from dawn till dusk as part of their biology. As I play it, my character finds a bed or otherwise private place protected from the sun where he is unlikely to be disturbd and then uses either the sleep or wait functions to skip ahead - vampires are supposed to really be dead in this period and then come to life after dark.

You can sometimes catch a shopkeeper after sunset (around 7 pm.) just before they close, and most things that are for sale you can just steal instead. As a creature of the night who does not need to eat you're partially decoupled from the ordinary economy, meaning that you don't rely on it quite as much and should have fewer compunctions about subverting it, such as through theft. People would burn you if they knew your secret, you don't owe them anything. And yes, all of the guilds except the Companions have shopkeepers that will trade with you outside normal opening hours, as will plenty of people who aren't technically shop-owners.

And if you absolutely needed to, I guess you could force yourself to stay awake, put on a coat and cowl and then hurry out at opening time to unload whatever you needed. It would be very uncomfortable and risky, though.

I'm on the console so I wouldn't know, but if you somehow managed to apply seasonal weather to Skyrim, so that days would be shorter and nights longer in the winter and vice versa in the summer, that would provide even more interesting benefits and restrictions for a vampire.

Daelon DuLac

While I agree with you. Skyrim vampirism very different from traditional vampirism as vampires are seen in the daylight all the time and, other than regeneration, really aren't all that limited.

My vampires rarely let the sun cause them issues. Most of them are insomniacs in any case so short periods of rest are more than enough and they spend most of their daylight periods underground or in ruins that are out of the sunlight.

I suppose, if the sun did actual damage (as it did in Oblivion), it might be a different question, but, it doesn't.

My vamps (and characters for that matter), rarely, if ever, steal anything and MUST be as rich as Midas as quickly as possible.

I would find myself exceedingly bored if I required 12 hours of downtime in every 24, just because I had a disease.

Besides, unless you're playing a complete sleezeball, at some point you are going to need to interact with other people (and not just by murdering them or ripping them off) civilly.

I do my best to disguise my true nature (hoods, masks, etc...), but still interact.

I agree that you could do your selling between 7 and 8 pm and do your crafting at night, but, to me, why not do it in the daylight. When you're in town it's the safest you're going to get, so you may as well take advantage of the situation.

Oh! And another thing I NEVER do. I do not feed, except on the castle cattle. None of my vampires are the monstrous bloodsuckers that they would so obviously like you to be. Besides, why feed all the time? Sure you're more susceptible to fire and lower in HP, but your abilities make up for that and you can always use enchantments and potions to make up the rest.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
This is why I don't roleplay in games, its my character, he operates the way I want him to.

'In character' folks, whilst commendable for sticking to a role, don't inspire me in any way, why put restrictions on your behaviours just because your character doesn't do that cause he's a "This" or "That"?

Only you is going to be playing that character, not talking to vendors or restricting yourself to not sleeping in a city... For real?

Since Npc's and the world of the game have no brain, or emotions, whether you play a "This" by the book, doesn't matter they aren't going to react and say "What a Good roleplaying ol' chap!".

Perhaps it comes down to how In character you want to get I suppose, which never appealed to me all that much. Alot of people on here spend more time on backstory than the actual playthrough.

My Orc doesn't really need a backstory, and I never set Terms or templates for new builds.

If I had put limitations on my Orc, I'dve never found out about Necromancy, or even got far in the game at all.

While I agree with you. Skyrim vampirism very different from traditional vampirism as vampires are seen in the daylight all the time and, other than regeneration, really aren't all that limited.

My vampires rarely let the sun cause them issues. Most of them are insomniacs in any case so short periods of rest are more than enough and they spend most of their daylight periods underground or in ruins that are out of the sunlight.

I suppose, if the sun did actual damage (as it did in Oblivion), it might be a different question, but, it doesn't.

My vamps (and characters for that matter), rarely, if ever, steal anything and MUST be as rich as Midas as quickly as possible.

I would find myself exceedingly bored if I required 12 hours of downtime in every 24, just because I had a disease.

Besides, unless you're playing a complete sleezeball, at some point you are going to need to interact with other people (and not just by murdering them or ripping them off) civilly.

I do my best to disguise my true nature (hoods, masks, etc...), but still interact.

I agree that you could do your selling between 7 and 8 pm and do your crafting at night, but, to me, why not do it in the daylight. When you're in town it's the safest you're going to get, so you may as well take advantage of the situation.

Oh! And another thing I NEVER do. I do not feed, except on the castle cattle. None of my vampires are the monstrous bloodsuckers that they would so obviously like you to be. Besides, why feed all the time? Sure you're more susceptible to fire and lower in HP, but your abilities make up for that and you can always use enchantments and potions to make up the rest.

True, but Oblivion vampires do in fact take damage from the sunlight. As does vampires in Morrowind. And in Daggerfall. And based on the sound of simmering flesh and the unnatural glare from the sky when you step outside during the day, even Skyrim vampires must at least find it painful.

Have you ever felt pain? People tend to go to great lengths to avoid it. That's what makes the vampire attacks terrifying to me, they fanatically ignore the pain and go on kamekaze raids just to cause chaos during the day when people otherwise feel safe. The fantasy equivalent of suicide bombers.

And let's not forget what the lack of regeneration means, perpetual exhaustion and a very hard limit to the magical power you can draw on, which is the key to your power if you rely on spellcasting at all.

The whole point is that you need to plan around the aversion to going outside. That's roleplaying.

Why must your characters all be as rich as Midas? I don't think I've ever had more than 8-9000 septims at any one time, except for with one character after the Dark Brotherhood questline, and that has been while specifically saving up for a house. And I've never really needed anything I couldn't afford or take by force if so inclined.

And again, a sleeping undead is dead, not conscious or sentient. It would basically be like snapping your fingers and bam, it's morning. There would be no waiting involved. Do you think the draugr that animate when you get close are just lying there thinking "Damn, nobody ever comes here anymore." until your presence triggers them?

You can talk to people in the evening, you know. They even tend to gather at the taverns for your quest-seeking benefit. And then you don't have to look ridiculously suspicious wearing your mask and cowl in broad daylight, wincing at the sun and smelling of burnt flesh when getting to know people. It's a lot more discrete to just keep a low profile until nightfall and then be social. And again, sunlight hurts.

I don't see the moral superiority in only ever feeding on mind-controlled slaves who are around for that express purpose, as opposed to simply taking a sip while the free and independent subject is asleep and will never notice a thing, or cajoling the free and independent subject into letting you feed willingly.

And it only makes you a "monstrous bloodsucker" in the same sense that me eating a steak with salad and a glass of water makes me an "omnivorous homo sapiens" terrorizing cows, plants and the Earth's water supply. You're hungry and thirsty, you eat and drink what you're built to eat and drink. There's no cruelty involved unless you insist on seeing it as such, in which case you're a hypocrite. Eating anything is a lot more destructive than drinking a bit of blood.

Also, "why drink blood when you get stronger overall from refraining?" is the same as saying "why eat if stopping entirely slims you down?". Most people spend their lives trying to optimize their comfort, not making themselves "better" at direct the cost of their happiness. Likewise, most vampires would feel better drinking blood than they would by being thirsty but having stronger abilities. You can play an extremist self-depriving monk-ish vampire, sure, and the benefits are thrown right in your face, but you would most likely be an exception to the rule in-game.

This is why I don't roleplay in games, its my character, he operates the way I want him to.

'In character' folks, whilst commendable for sticking to a role, don't inspire me in any way, why put restrictions on your behaviours just because your character doesn't do that cause he's a "This" or "That"?

Only you is going to be playing that character, not talking to vendors or restricting yourself to not sleeping in a city... For real?

Since Npc's and the world of the game have no brain, or emotions, whether you play a "This" by the book, doesn't matter they aren't going to react and say "What a Good roleplaying ol' chap!".

Perhaps it comes down to how In character you want to get I suppose, which never appealed to me all that much. Alot of people on here spend more time on backstory than the actual playthrough.

My Orc doesn't really need a backstory, and I never set Terms or templates for new builds.

If I had put limitations on my Orc, I'dve never found out about Necromancy, or even got far in the game at all.

You could have played that Orc in a specific way that immersed you in the world and then discovered Necromancy with another, just as immersive but different character, or even as the Orc but while building a deeper story around him.

You don't roleplay because it makes the game happy or for a pat on the back, you roleplay because you personally enjoy making up overarching stories more involved with the world than just "Oh, that dropped him in like two strikes! This is awesome."

If it's not your cup of tea then it's not your cup of tea, but a lot of people do go in for it as evidenced by all the immersive mods out there.

Daelon DuLac

@thomasblaine

The condescension is overwhelmingly palpable and it is not pleasant in the least.

Please refrain from condescending towards forum members. It will gain you no friends.

Name calling and playing at the "you're stupid" game because I do not agree with you is uncalled for.

Fortunately, this forum has something called "ignore" and you will certainly receive it from me.

To address a few minor issues:

1) Vampirism in Skyrim is not vampirism in Oblivion or any other TES game. It is treated as a disease. While you are technically undead, your are able to act and "live" as you see fit.
2) Moral arguments don't fly with me. Moralism is a pointless game or "Behave as I say or else"
3) I did say that damage was suffered by vampires from the sun in Oblivion. I am neither a newbie nor an idiot.
4) We each roll-play in our own way. Your roll-play is perfectly valid and I admire your dedication to a narrow definition as you see it. I will roll-play in my own way.

Thank you for your attention and Good Night Sir! I said Good Night!

@thomasblaine

The condescension is overwhelmingly palpable and it is not pleasant in the least.

Please refrain from condescending towards forum members. It will gain you no friends.

Name calling and playing at the "you're stupid" game because I do not agree with you is uncalled for.

Fortunately, this forum has something called "ignore" and you will certainly receive it from me.

To address a few minor issues:

1) Vampirism in Skyrim is not vampirism in Oblivion or any other TES game. It is treated as a disease. While you are technically undead, your are able to act and "live" as you see fit.
2) Moral arguments don't fly with me. Moralism is a pointless game or "Behave as I say or else"
3) I did say that damage was suffered by vampires from the sun in Oblivion. I am neither a newbie nor an idiot.
4) We each roll-play in our own way. Your roll-play is perfectly valid and I admire your dedication to a narrow definition as you see it. I will roll-play in my own way.

Thank you for your attention and Good Night Sir! I said Good Night!

Um, no condescension and no "you're stupid" games. If you're talking about "in which case you're a hypocrite", I meant that anyone insisting on that particular view would be indulging in hypocrisy as a logical point of fact, not that you, as in you, are stupid or a hypocritical person. I'm sorry if I phrased my arguments in an offensive way, it wasn't the intention at all.

I asked a few rhetorical questions to illustrate my points, but I don't see how that's condescending. Of course you know what pain feels like, and how much it influences a person's behavior when they're under the threat of it. That's my point. And of course you don't think that the draugr are just twiddling their thumbs, waiting for the next unfortunate adventurer to stumble too close them. It's absurd. I really am sorry if I offended you.

1) As you say.
2) You're the one who said that you NEVER feed in-game except on "cattle", and that your characters aren't "monstrous bloodsuckers" for this particular reason. I was just questioning your logic behind that, not moralizing. If you didn't mean by that that your characters are morally superior for only sucking the blood of slaves then what did you mean?
3) Who said you were a newbie or an idiot? My point was that vampires in the Elder Scrolls universe in general do take damage from sunlight. Not just in oblivion.
4) Well, yes.

Please don't be upset.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I'd consider an indepth roleplay if I had pc Skyrim with mods, since They totally change Skyrim with added customizations.

I get why people RP, their creative outlet is through building that character.

Anyways laters.

J

Jeremius

I usually tend to avoid trying to use the forms (werewolf and Vamp lord). just use them for the passives, and feed as you can, and it is like the Vampirism is not there, outside of the resistances/weaknesses.

Sinfield

If you want to have fun as a vampire lord, just play at lower difficulties. The abilities scale badly with level, and if you persist with it during, let's say Legendary difficulty, you're in for some hard times.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts