18+ Thy Flesh Consumed (OOC)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Therin

Kir, would you mind PMing me about what you have planned for the temple? I just want to make sure my character isn't standing in the middle of the building and you have it explode, or something. ;)

And I promise that I won't give away anything if I need to tweak my character's location/activity a bit. I absolutely hate it when a writer says, "Oh, my character decided to leave because he felt a dark energy closing in on the temple." Really? Boy, isn't that feeling awfully convenient. And how does your character know what that feeling means? Has he felt dark energy descending on a temple before for comparison? That kind of deus ex machina is one of my pet peeves.

((For those not familiar with the term (other than from the video game), wikipedia defines as such: deus ex machina is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved, with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object. Depending on how it's done, it can be intended to move the story forward when the writer has "painted himself into a corner" and sees no other way out, to surprise the audience, or to bring a happy ending into the tale. A deus ex machina is generally deemed undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author.))

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
    Kir, would you mind PMing me about what you have planned for the temple? I just want to make sure my character isn't standing in the middle of the building and you have it explode, or something. ;)

And I promise that I won't give away anything if I need to tweak my character's location/activity a bit. I absolutely hate it when a writer says, "Oh, my character decided to leave because he felt a dark energy closing in on the temple." Really? Boy, isn't that feeling awfully convenient. And how does your character know what that feeling means? Has he felt dark energy descending on a temple before for comparison? That kind of deus ex machina is one of my pet peeves.

((For those not familiar with the term (other than from the video game), wikipedia defines as such: deus ex machina is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved, with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object. Depending on how it's done, it can be intended to move the story forward when the writer has "painted himself into a corner" and sees no other way out, to surprise the audience, or to bring a happy ending into the tale. A deus ex machina is generally deemed undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author.))
    ....I now have to resist the urge to have my first post reference dark energies in a temple and the phrase "I'm a pro at detecting dark energies in temples. Trust me, I've done this before. It's kind of my thing. I just go from Temple to Temple, standing around in the center, FEELING for vibes, and of ALL the vibes I've felt, -cause remember, I've felt a lot!- this one is the darkest. Seriously. We should go, you guys. My-super-special-dark-temple-plot-magic is telling me we should really go." XD

I do believe I've reached the point of sleep deprivation where everything is funny...

Therin

Mab, thanks, I'm glad you're receptive to it. I wanted to introduce an uncertainty to healing magic to make injuries more dire and the whole situation seem more realistic. With a healer in the group (or two healers, in our case), there aren't many consequences for injuries. "Oh, he's injured. Look, the healer got to him before he died, therefore there's a 100% chance of him living." BOR-ING! :) What if the healer is nervous and draws a rune wrong? What if he/she draws multiple runes in the wrong order or leaves one out and the spell doesn't work? Does he/she become flustered at the failed first attempt and freezes? I think it allows more suspense, which is why I did it. I'm glad to hear that you like it, and if you can think of a way to improve it, please let me know. :)

As for her "accidental" healing, that would work. Or, since knitting flesh is only one rune, and a pretty basic spell, maybe she saw it in one of the many books she read and drew it on purpose? Just a thought; take it or leave it, as you will. :)

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
    *Giggles* I don't have anything to add at the moment (Remember, I'm runny on foggy everything-is-funny brain right now) however, I do now have a fun idea for a story Katelle can tell you guys at some point. Something along the lines of one of her first times healing a serious wound. "Remember, always mend the bone before you close the skin. Forgot to do that once. He wasn't very happy about the second wound it caused... Apparently bones projected out at odd angles can tear through seven layers of skin as easily as a blade, who knew?"

Kir the Silent

Until Your Flesh Is Consumed
    Good thoughts indeed, but as for everyone else. Once everyone has posted their intros and are located in Riften, I can post and start moving the plot. Remember; everyone should be in Riften somewhere within their first or next few posts.

Kir the Silent

See you later tonight, looking forward to your post!

The Phantom

Consulting Criminal
    Yeah :D I was hoping someone would notice my Les Mis reference. Jalvean was based on Javert, that "Law is not mocked" opportunity was too good to pass up as well. At least I'm not making him speak in rhyme though. <3 Les Miserables haha. I was shocked that no one caught on sooner! :)

MabFaerie

Faerie Queen
    Y"know I recently had a conversation on the topic of whether Javert was Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. I argued he was lawful good because he did what he believed was right, in this case charing valjean across time and 'space' (space being land, really) regardless of how he evaded him. However, the argument that valjean was lawful neutral held its own too, because although valjean was willing to uphold the law to an extreme, he did so at the cost of being unwilling to care for the suffering or plight of others, as seen in his dismissal of Cosette, an innocent child who needed help. He didn't give a damn about fontine or cosette, he only cared about valjean. He is a perfect example of someone trying to be a Palladin, but messing it all up, lol.

Kir the Silent

So who are we waiting to make an intro post? Is it just mabfaerie?

Kir the Silent

Ok, I checked and once MabFaerie posts her intro I can start to move the plot along :p

Kir the Silent

Lol I know, I was only referring to the main members who have yet to post :p

Kir the Silent

Then Kir's eye will twitch, "Divines help me...Hello Tristan." XD

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
    Staff member
    konrad-human-concerned.png

"What? Everyone wants a piece of me."
    lisar.png
    "Pff. Maybe werewolves."
    konrad-human-glad.png
    "I don't mind a little fur."

Andre Marek

You can run, but you'll only die tired...
    Ok. First off, I know I'm probably being a little too insistant for my own good. Second, would you have happened to have reached a verdict regarding Marek? And thirdly, The above is awesome :D

Therin

FYI, Longestskies has started out in Markarth, for some reason. I don't know if you were going to wait until he gets to Riften, or maybe he'll meet us after The Incident.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts