Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

Last visit to the San house was most the disappointing yet.
Of 11 bodies left in the bedroom loft , 10 had disappeared so no big free-for-all to watch this time.
My sole opponent was a Forsworn Ravager who came downstairs to get a taste of my newly acquired Blade of Woe.

Skyrimosity

Yay, I went to Hob's Fall Cava and got a Master Necromancer and an Ascending Necromancer as thralls! Makes up for losing Sebastian Lort in some Lighthouse in the middle of nowhere.

Currently at lv 39 on my newest character.
I will start searching for those volkihars today and we'll see how long it takes before I find one then.
It is possible I've already passed the lowest possible level to encounter one thou..
That's too bad because it would be nice to know exactly when they can start randomly spawning..
Gonna start with that cave trick a few times now and see anyways.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I run into them around Whiterun Hold at night, towards the west, sometimes fighting Vigilants of Stendarr, quite a handful if you're caught unprepared, best always to be on guard at night, I also believe they spawn around Morthal aswell.

Just had to come back in to tell about something Wierd..
Remember ascending conjurer I mentioned just a while ago?
Well I had killed and stored him in breezehome.
I just whent there now to check on him.
He had been in there for at least 4 ingame days.

I find him ALIVE (im sure he eas dead when i left him) but passive just standing in there, he had gone from ascending to Master Conjurer and also had a new appearance..
And all I did with him before this happened was storing him in the house.

These thralls are amusing :)
Now in off to try his new abilities

Holy plops I just found one at lv 39!
In a cave just northeast of mortal called "Movarth's Lair".
But it was a "Master" Volkihar Vampire so I was not able to use dead thrall on it :sadface:

I killed him quite fast with thunder bolts...

This is quite annoying in fact....
Im guessing I'd better just give up on trying to find a regular volkihar on thes character now then since masters already started appearing? Very disappointing...

Adam Warlock

Holy pl*** I just found one at lv 39!
In a cave just northeast of mortal called "Movarth's Lair".
But it was a "Master" Volkihar Vampire so I was not able to use dead thrall on it :sadface:

I killed him quite fast with thunder bolts...

This is quite annoying in fact....
Im guessing I'd better just give up on trying to find a regular volkihar on thes character now then since masters already started appearing? Very disappointing...
Get the Necromage Perk and then you can Thrall vampires up to level 48 Volkihars. After obtaining the perk , only Volkihar Masters are unthrallable.

Y
Get the Necromage Perk and then you can Thrall vampires up to level 48 Volkihars. After obtaining the perk , only Volkihar Masters are unthrallable.
Yes i do have that perk already.
The main problem is to FIND a regular Volkihar and not a master...
Any advice on how to manage that?

I think you wrote here Somewhere that you had found places with master volkihars with one or two regular volkihars as back up?
Remember where that was and what level you were on? lol

Adam Warlock

Y
Yes i do have that perk already.
The main problem is to FIND a regular Volkihar and not a master...
Any advice on how to manage that?

I think you wrote here Somewhere that you had found places with master volkihars with one or two regular volkihars as back up?
Remember where that was and what level you were on? lol
It would have been at least 50 level . Morvath is a V.M. for me as well but I`ve found Volkihars serving him along with Thralls and other vampire types. Site will respawn so you can go back later and look around.
Check out Bloodlet Throne down near Falkreath.

Adam Warlock

Have you asked Talos for a blessing lately ?
Sometimes I`m astonished about how the game seems to sense my desires and provide them.
Right now I`m rolling with 2 Thalmor Justiciar thralls who are the first of 5 tries in sticking around more than than one fast travel.
It was either Talos or the fact that I killed them before they could get to the Nords they were stalking.
But blessings are free so how could it hurt ?

Adam Warlock

After lots and lots of thralling , I`m beginning to see a vague pattern that might explain why some Dead Thrall bodies are harder to keep long term than others.
I think that the characters`s role in the site location and it`s respawn rate has a serious influence in addition to Thralls having the pathing problems that are mentioned in on-line forums.
Bottom line for the generic no name NPC is that bodies from sites that do not respawn like Northwatch and Mistwatch Keep last the longest and do not require contact every 10 days to remain stable. Most all others of this type will either respawn alive or disappear if left alone too long.
This has been confirmed in Proudspire manor when all NPC except that type respawned.
Named NPC bad guys remain the best selection because they do not respawn(exception for Morvath in my game), are of relatively high levels 36-40 , and many of them have some very nice Perk enhancements or special traits(like Umana`s blocking and Orchendor`s resistance to magic)that generic NPC don`t share.
Warning ! DO NOT take take your thrall into Broken Oar Grotto for they will never come back out !

Cleared broken fang just now, found a V.M and an ancient vampire inside.
Best so far!
Observe "slight spoiler warning"
I'll go do the wolfskull quest next to see if I get lucky in the catacombs underneath Solitude.

Oh right, do you know if there is any thralls who likes to use staff?
I've made a bunch of summoning sticks but so far none of my thralls nor followers / sellswords have used a staff that I've given to them....

Adam Warlock

Oh right, do you know if there is any thralls who likes to use staff?
I've made a bunch of summoning sticks but so far none of my thralls nor followers / sellswords have used a staff that I've given to them....
If they have a bow , take it away and try staffs only. They will usually turn to them if they run out of magicka and still are at range.
Staff of Fireballs or Firebolts is a popular staff among my destruction thralls and Illia my follower. the Conjurers and Vampires like Staff of Familiars and any Shock staff.
my thralls will not use some staffs either, ones like soul trap or daedric command
When you get to higher levels they will probably start using atronach summoning
staffs more often as your character has created weapons which usually aren`t in play this soon.
Followers and thralls will often use lesser weapons and spells during attacks if they think stronger ones aren`t necessary for the opponent. ie. they don`t go for overkill
Do you have Sanguine Rose ? I haven`t found a thrall who wouldn`t use that one. Just be sure to take it back when they`re done with it since it`s unique.

Adam Warlock

I have discovered a wonderful group for Thralling called Spellswords that use staffs , cast magic , and will also use a sword and shield while wearing 3 pieces of armor !!! Look for Southfringe Sanctum at the far southeast corner of Falkreath Hold.
Here is the kit I tested that worked out pretty good for the one I brought back :
Studded Armor with Fortify Health/Fortify Destruction,
Fur Bracers with Fortify Magicka/Fortify 1h ,
Leather Boots with Muffle/Fortify Stamina,
Glass Shield with Resist Magic x2 ,
Glass Sword with Absorb Health/Absorb Stamina,
Magic Staffs of Fire Bolts and Lightning Bolts , and
a summoning Staff of Familiars.
Be ready for a fight because they are tough customers and some may be carrying staffs of their own.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts