Thieves Guild questline broken

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

changst3r

I recently added a mod that allowed me to change my race. So without thinking, I added the mod and changed my race to better fit the type of character I was playing. I used the "showracemenu" console command. After I had change my race, I found out that I couldn't talk to Delvin or Vex anymore. I had just finished the main Thieves Guild storyline (prior to the race change), but now the extra quests given by Delvin or Vex are not available to me anymore. I can't speak to Vex (she doesn't want to talk to me ... telling me to talk to Brynljorf first) and Delvin can only aid me in leveling up my Sneak skill. He keeps on telling me "[something something] prove yourself to Brynljof first ..." They are acting like I haven't even joined the Thieves Guild yet.

Perhaps I broken my Thieves Guild storyline with the "showracemenu" ... any idea how to start the extra quests from Delvin or Vex? Or solution to my problem? I sort of want to finish the Thieves Guild questline.

TL: DR
- Found a mod that I like to use. Used "showracemenu" to change my race and looks.
- Went back to Delvin and Vex for additional quests (Had just finished the main Thieves Guild storyline before my race change)
- Delvin won't talk to me "until I prove myself to Brynljorf" and Vex just stand there like a [...]
- Delvin and Vex are acting like I haven't even joined the guild yet.

ShadowGambit

Try to use the console to mark the quest "Taking care of Business"completed with this race.

That may work.

or try "player.addfac 29DA9 1", that's the console command to be part of the TG faction

changst3r

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both methods:
(1) I use the console "setstage TG01 200" ... to have "Taking Care of Business" quest finish. The console recognizes it and there was a banner than displayed that quest was completed. However, Delvin and Vex's dialogue still doesn't change. (I hope this is what you meant by "mark the quest").

(2) I actually tried this suggestion first. Entered the code into the console, but nothing happened. No display or change ... not even a error message. So, don't know if that worked or not.

I, even tried starting one of the Bedlam quests through the console. It accepted the code (like (2)), but no response from the game or the console.

Perhaps there another way to start these quests?

changst3r

I tried starting the "Meet the Family" quest (Skyrim:Meet the Family - UESPWiki). From UESP's description, this is where Delvin and Vex starts allowing the player to do some of their side quests.

But, no matter I do I can't get it to start. I tried resetting the quest (resetquest TG02B) and then start it again (setstage TG02B [value 0-40]), but nothing. I even tried completing it (setstage TG02B 200), nothing.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
What is the name of the mod?

Dagmar

From the description of the mod it doesn't sound like it allows you to change your race, it adds an additional race that you can choose at startup. Like many console commands using the showeracemenu to change your race can cause problems. One known problem is that it resets all your skills to the base level 1 skills for the new race. It may have also messed up your Thieves Guild so that your character is no longer recognized as a Thieves Guild member or guild master for some of the Thieves Guild NPCs. By way of example when you become a vampire and you're an Orc, you lose the Blood Kin benefit and dialogues with the Orcs at Orc strongholds because you're tagged as a separate race (there's a vampire version of each race). Do you have a save from before you used the showracemenu command to change your race?

changst3r

Yeah I do, but my pre-showracemenu save was awhile back. I understand what you are saying ... I just hope there's a way to get those quests or faction-associations back (via console or so).

Dagmar

I wouldn't go that route. Using console commands can cause more problems. Even if you fix the one your experiencing now you may simply be trading one set of problems for another worse set of problems down the road. Didn't you notice the skill drops?

changst3r

Yes, I did notice the skill drop. However, I can always get those back up through questing and such. A broken questline that seemingly never ever going to reset or start again ... is annoying to say the least.

I think for now, if there isn't any other suggestions - I'm going to end my character's TG story here ... premature and unsatisfied. -____-"

VinceGore

HELP! I cannot complete the thieves guild questline. I have done all the city specific TG jobs and tons of others like 50+ of others but I can't move forward. Every time I try to talk to Brynjolf he tells me he's busy. Every now and then when I try to talk to Delvin Mallory it gives me the option of telling him that I have completed the various city specific TG tasks- like it just keeps forgetting I've done those. The guild is at full strength- merchants in all the bays etc but I just can't seem to open any additional TG quest line tasks. Loud and Clear was the last one I did and I messed up and destroyed more than 3 bee hives, but that shouldn't be an issue. At this point, I'm almost level 60 and I don't have a save point that I can go back to that makes sense. PLEASE if anyone can assist me with this. I'm on Xbox by the way- if that matters

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts